Old 08-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #781
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691
Default Re: 13th Official Tournament

Also Maggie and I did have a chat over the discord so let me also address:

We are aware that mistakes were made, and we do apologise for it. We don't intend on coming off as dismissive as we do at times to people's complaints, just at times it feels like we're getting slammed from all angles and we're still trying to manage the whole thing and it can get super stressful.

It's impossible to perfect this, and we've tried a few various things over the years to improve but it's incredibly hard with a community that has so much diversity and different needs.
A file you may be looking at as "awkward" is one we're looking at like "okay this doesn't play to just one skillset, this is perfect for keeping things more fair"
The circle pit thing was our major flub and I should have looked at it more. We'd hit the point of running out of files that would fit in areas and I just looked at the rating rather than looking at the file. I should have checked it more thoroughly myself.

We were running into several issues that I was trying my best to mitigate, like some people were upset that files from the OT batch weren't going to get used, but not all of them fit. So I tried cramming more in to address this issue when I probably could have made a better fit pulling from elsewhere.

Fortunately these issues should be mitigated moving forward now that the batch system has been updated the way it has. People can imply if they're okay with their files being held which means we can start stockpiling much earlier and hopefully not even have to have a specific batch for it going forward.
There's a team of people on difficulties now that will be going over everything that lands in the accepted queue. We'll likely still have flubs even still because honestly there's no exact science for this and you guys are always surprising us with how hard you find files. But hopefully we'll be a lot closer to the mark and not have another major error come up.

Anyway, I just wanted ya'll to know what was going down and that we are working on improving, there's even a dedicated team now for 100+ files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #782
s1rnight
( ŻuŻ)-b
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to s1rnight Send a message via Skype™ to s1rnight

i personally think the tournament was run very well... tho i wasn’t any good in D2 (laugh

it might be nice if there was a rule where if you failed a file in a higher division but passed a file in a lower division, u got moved down a division or something. tho probably i could just do something like that for fun
Old 08-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #783
RadiantVibe
PUNKTURE DERBY
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Finally I will unlock Unconnected. HYPE

Thanks to everyone that organized the tournament! I got eliminated pretty early but still got to have some fun with the revenge tournament against D6. Can't wait for the next one
RadiantVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:56 AM   #784
benny58624
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Oh wow, I didn't intend to be part of starting drama. Was just wondering why D3 had a more difficult file than D4. It makes sense now. I'm not great at rating files myself when the file is a lot easier than my skill level. And given then amount of files that needed to be rated, this could happen. It's not necessarily that bad for this to happen because everyone in in a division needs to play the same file anyway.

I've enjoyed the tournament, didn't expect to get to D5 and top 8!
Was about to say I'd like to get Strangeprogram V0, but just saw it's already been given, thanks
benny58624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:04 AM   #785
_Fluttershy_
72 Black Flags & Counting
FFR Veteran

For what it's worth, I thought this tournament was really well run. I mean, overlooking the obvious issue with Circle Pit which was acknowledged, the rest of the files were, pretty much, what you'd expect from a tournament in terms of difficulty, variety in different skillsets and mechanics, and difficulty progression.

I also want to personally thank Kayla for her (your) running of the tournament as I unfortunately had two instances during this tournament where I obtained a score which didn't save but I messaged her on Discord and she was very quick to reply and fix it, so I have no issues at all with this tournament and how it was run, especially considering that Kayla has - for the most part - run this tourney by herself (not to make a sweeping, presumptive statement as I know that others have helped out).

And finally, I want to congratulate Dark Saga on the first place in D5. In the end, that score on Q.E. was just far too good and beyond my capabilities but I'm very happy to have finished 2nd in such a competitive division. The fact that I was able to finish ahead of people I've played, and enjoyed competing, with in tourneys for years was really impressive for me. This'll probably be my last tourney in D5, I'd imagine, so I'm happy to get Top 3 in a tournament having had that ambition ever since I kept getting knocked out in Round 4 in my first few official tourneys.

GG everyone and congrats to the winners of all divisions!!

_Fluttershy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:00 AM   #786
the sun fan
FFR Player

if I could get strangeprogram v0 on thesunfan, I'd appreciate it

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

Last edited by the sun fan; 08-26-2020 at 05:30 AM..
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:16 AM   #787
Velocity
Doing the wrong thing the right way since 2010.
Site and Game Administrator
AdministratorRetired StaffDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Can I use my token unlock to remove a event token from andrew_wcy instead?
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:15 AM   #788
Andrew WCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Can I use my token unlock to remove a event token from andrew_wcy instead?
lolwut
Andrew WCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #789
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

Congrats winners! See you next year while I continue to drown in pee D6R1.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #790
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Just showing off usergroup

Ok bye 👌
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #791
Dynam0
The Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
Also Maggie and I did have a chat over the discord so let me also address:

We are aware that mistakes were made, and we do apologise for it. We don't intend on coming off as dismissive as we do at times to people's complaints, just at times it feels like we're getting slammed from all angles and we're still trying to manage the whole thing and it can get super stressful.

It's impossible to perfect this, and we've tried a few various things over the years to improve but it's incredibly hard with a community that has so much diversity and different needs.
A file you may be looking at as "awkward" is one we're looking at like "okay this doesn't play to just one skillset, this is perfect for keeping things more fair"
The circle pit thing was our major flub and I should have looked at it more. We'd hit the point of running out of files that would fit in areas and I just looked at the rating rather than looking at the file. I should have checked it more thoroughly myself.

We were running into several issues that I was trying my best to mitigate, like some people were upset that files from the OT batch weren't going to get used, but not all of them fit. So I tried cramming more in to address this issue when I probably could have made a better fit pulling from elsewhere.

Fortunately these issues should be mitigated moving forward now that the batch system has been updated the way it has. People can imply if they're okay with their files being held which means we can start stockpiling much earlier and hopefully not even have to have a specific batch for it going forward.
There's a team of people on difficulties now that will be going over everything that lands in the accepted queue. We'll likely still have flubs even still because honestly there's no exact science for this and you guys are always surprising us with how hard you find files. But hopefully we'll be a lot closer to the mark and not have another major error come up.

Anyway, I just wanted ya'll to know what was going down and that we are working on improving, there's even a dedicated team now for 100+ files.
This is good news, I appreciate the response
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #792
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Congratulations to all the winners and competitors that have exceeded their expectations or have skillboosted through the brackets.

I really never expected to make it to the top 3 of D5, this tournament has been a great learning experience for me both as an arrow smasher as well as a stepartist.

I also want to give a huge shoutout to the tournament organizers and especially AJ for judging such a large amount of stepfiles and still have the energy to write lore and put charts to their corresponding divisions.

Hopefully there will be more Official Tournaments in the future; I still feel I have to prove myself further to truly be considered a top D5 player.

Last edited by M0nkeyz; 08-26-2020 at 08:27 AM..
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #793
Devilchilly
D7 Elite Keymasher

The amount of dedication put into hosting this event and keeping the tradition alive after an insane 13 years was unfathomable and it's something I'll never be able to appreciate enough.

I genuinely love how events like these always manage to bring people together and remind us all that at the end of the day, we're all like-minded people sharing the same passion in a very tight-knit community, meaning we have to be together for a community like this to grow. It creates unforgettable memories of this community that are long-lasting even for those who will depart from us to embark in life one day.

Thank you, tournament organizers, for all the work and effort you guys have put in this year to create a banger, I had a real blast in it!

Yes, this event may have had some technical difficulties, but saying that wouldn't be really fair considering how well you guys have done everything else. Besides, the mistake was genuine, not deliberate, so the best we all can do, as civilized people, at the end of the day is to forgive one another and learn from the mistakes. Otherwise, we can't move onto a future where everything will become better.

Again, absolutely great job from all the organizers and I hope you guys get your well-deserved rest now, cheers.

Last edited by Devilchilly; 08-26-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Devilchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #794
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

It was fun thanks all! Wish I could've participated more but unfortunately couldn't. congrats to all the winners and high placers!

I liked most of the files, thanks to steppers for keeping making great content..

If i had to critique something it would be i found the difficulty progression in D5 to be kinda meh, especially compared to how good it's been in past OTs (yes i've been in D5 for a billion OTs now). Sunset Sky Garden was definitely too hard for a R2 especially when easy files like naive hopelessness and smash and burn came after it. i also thought ani meshuval or w/e was harder than the 2 files that came after it but that one i could chalk up to weakness in the OHTs at the end. like if i played im pretty sure i would've been eliminated in R3 but the rounds after were kinda free, disregarding skillset.

again in saying all that it wasnt a big deal since things stayed kind of consistent and around the 80 difficulty mark so it's fine, just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #795
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!

Tourney was definitely fun. Got knocked out early but it's okay. I got my D7 promo (OFFICIALLY), participated in D7, but the songs were all great fun. Round 6 especially, I feel, was the most fun to me.

Awesome stuff as always. Great fun. Feels good to have improved once again, and grats to all the winners. Wanna give a special thanks to Halogen and PA691 (psychoangel for those of you who might be a little confused) and Rushy for hosting the side event. Great fun. Lot of amazing charts, and just an overall amazing time.

Can't wait to see what we get next year. Let's keep this site going, gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
@ULTIMEGA, dank meme genie.

HIGHEST AAA:Necropotence [90]
HIGHEST SDG: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
HIGHEST FC: Six Acid Strings [101]
HIGHEST SCORE: Magical 8 Bit Tour [100] (7-0-0-4)
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #796
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

Thanks everyone, I hope all and all everyone had a good time.

All prizes that don't require a choice from the user (except the badges) should be out to everyone. Let me know if there's any issue. Badges should be up by end of day.

My 1st placers I forgot to add with your shipping info please let me know your shirt size as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #797
Nomstien
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Great tournament had some great skill boost for sure went d3-d5
Nomstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #798
Sky Kitten
Crazy Cat Lady
Community Manager, User Support
Community ManagerGlobal ModeratorFFR Veteran

Congrats to all the winners and ggs to all! It was great fun.

FMO AAAs (22): Heavenly Spores, .357 Magnum, Pure Ruby, VS Boss Battle, Black, You Goddamn Fish, Faint Breath, Epilogue, Crimson Flood, Zombie Killing Blood Spilling, Saffron City (offline), Fast Asleep, R2, Her Majesty, Defection, Happy Meal, Bit Blue, Stupor of Peace, Tightwad, Progressive jikuu shoujo! Urashima Taroko-chan!, Annihilator Method, Skyfire Ace
Sky Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #799
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

can't wait for the 20th anniversary megatournament
Old 08-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #800
qrrbrbirbel
FFR Veteran
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

You should make me tournament staff and I'll gladly help.

I donate ramen every year for the OT, support the site with patreon as well as support the discord, and am one of the more active members. I generally care about everyone in the community and will go out of my way to make sure everyone is healthy and happy (especially the staff lol)

Plus I'm pretty so yeah

Also been on the site 16 years so theres that too

Last edited by qrrbrbirbel; 08-28-2020 at 09:09 AM..
qrrbrbirbel is offline   Reply With Quote