Old 12-1-2017, 08:02 PM   #61
Hakulyte
FFR & TWG Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran
 
Hakulyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

I don't think Mina is wrong, I just think we don't see the same topic the same way.
I believe he was more targeting the concept of being religious which is by definition not flexible.

I guess it's just me being dumb with semantics and not realizing that having a religion doesn't necessary makes you religious as someone who invest a lot of time into the religion related to them.
Just because you don't have a lot of devotion, doesn't mean that you're going to reject your own religion still.

I personally think religion is not religion anymore if you force religion into someone.
Depending on which religion we're talking about, this may become a nonsense because there's definitely religions that wants you to fully believe in them.

I think we both just didn't take the time to further define what we were talking about.

Also, being smart has little to do with religion.
It just means you have a certain talent at giving yourself the tools to go through school properly.
I'm pretty sure you're aware that intelligence has multiple facets and that you can be really good at certain things while not at others.
I have friends who destroyed university like it was a joke and there's many fields where they can't compete at all even with the average person.
They just had a way of thinking that was very efficient at dealing with whatever school was throwing at them.
Hakulyte is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:06 PM   #62
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,278
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

i mean the op reeks of the same moral and ideological superiority complex that plagues most modern organized religions

you didn't make a post indicating you wanted to survey the theological landscape of users on the site, that's one thing, it would still probably devolve into what this had but at least I wouldn't have been a part of it

YOU made a post intended to stir up a conversation so you could ram down your hipster religion ideologies into other people's throats using your "ivy league friends" as some sort of ridiculous overpowering authority and you expected everyone to just sit back and let you lecture them on how their perception of the world is unenlightened

and i understand that i pissed you off because i intended to, but you're not pissed off at me, somewhere deep down inside you realize how ridiculously shallow and hypocritical everything in this thread you've said has been and you resent the fact that i made you reckon with it
MinaciousGrace is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:08 PM   #63
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,278
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I think we both just didn't take the time to further define what we were talking about.
i made it pretty crystal clear that selectively choosing which elements of a religion to believe in disqualifies you for being of that religion, and continuing to identify as that religion in order to impose your altered version of the belief system unto others voids the entire purpose of it

in case you missed it- christians are commanded to proselytize, it's part of the christian duty to serving god, you can't abandon that responsibility and then still claim your soul is going to be saved

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-1-2017 at 08:11 PM..
MinaciousGrace is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:13 PM   #64
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
Walrusizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,050
Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
EDIT: Also LOL dude I didn't realize you spent so much of your post saying, "ivy league ppl are dumb tho!!!" Nah dude. My friends are actually way smarter than you. They didn't get into Princeton because of their parent's money, because most of my friends are on hella financial aid.

Retards also can't get straight A's at the Ivy League school known for grade deflation too, sucka. I have a brain. Ooooweee
fuckin lmao
__________________
is expressing my inability to create a creative signature an act of creativity in and of itself?
Walrusizer is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:13 PM   #65
Hakulyte
FFR & TWG Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran
 
Hakulyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

I see your point. I'm just afraid this thread will get boring fast if we remove the potential thinking freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
DO NOT FLAME RELIGIONS HERE DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT
I cannot see how this will not happen if we try to justify beliefs in something without proof. So, if this is the thread direction, I'm out of here lol.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 12-1-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Hakulyte is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:27 PM   #66
Travis_Flesher
Honored War Chief
FFR Veteran
 
Travis_Flesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 671
Default More omniscient parables

God awareness is the most basic chakra power generator you guys should know that by now.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 12-1-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:32 PM   #67
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,218
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
oh right sorry i'm wrong because i make assumptions about your friends but it's ok for you to make assumptions about my friends because you hold the moral high ground here... because religion!
...
you do realize im not religious, right? i also made an appropriate inference for your one friend who's a pompous dumbass

i gotta show soon so ima deuce for now. didnt read most of what you said. should i?...

edit: mods, you can lock this if you want lol im sorry i derailed this thread. i normally try to keep my cool, but minas just really annoying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post
Heh never underestimate the power of free time
boredom
wanting to get to know you all
true love
a sense of community
blackmail
weekend warriors
my desire to know everyone's dirty lil secrets


our mutual desire to be funny bois and gurls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
There comes a point where we have to ask our selves, "do we really want to deal with that, desperate as we are?"

I think we can all agree on the answer, yeah?

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-1-2017 at 08:33 PM..
Funnygurl555 is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:46 PM   #68
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,278
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
an appropriate inference
again, defending your use of something while chastising mine

or even more accurately using something you attack me for doing to justify doing another thing you also attack me for doing

next time don't pick fights you can't win and won't concede

to reiterate the shitty condescending op was picking a fight

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 12-1-2017 at 08:49 PM..
MinaciousGrace is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 08:54 PM   #69
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
lofty rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Србија
Age: 27
Posts: 705
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

•Oh, and you shouldn't use only one em- dash in a sentence, my dude.

-You're wrong. You absolutely can use an em dash on its own, and it functions as a semi-colon with a slightly longer break in the sentence.

I have a terminal degree in creative writing, and teach English; maybe you should stop there.

Here's a quote to back my previous statement: "[Em] dashes can be used in pairs like parentheses—that is, to enclose a word, or a phrase, or a clause—or they can be used alone to detach one end of a sentence from the main body."

Poets, and by the way, I've worked with the last poet laureate in workshops (just to humor your elitist tendencies), use the latter function quite frequently.

If you would have even bothered to look up em dash usage on google images, both usages would have come up. Do they not teach you how to utilize even the most simple of resources at your school?

•I think you're friends with MinaciousGrace because I don't know you, but I'm probably right.

-You're right, but I don't need to defend him. He is more than capable. I said what I said because you're perpetuating nonsensical elitism. Also, I'm three years and change older than you--not that age has anything to do with this.

*A note: sometimes, em dashes are stylized by typists as two hyphens.

•Retards also can't get straight A's at the Ivy League school known for grade deflation too, sucka. I have a brain. Ooooweee

Haha, whatever dude.
lofty rhino is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:19 PM   #70
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 72 billion club, NE
Age: 28
Posts: 12,528
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Does God exist ? No ? Prove it ? You can't.
Just gonna pop in here to say that people who reject a claim do not hold the burden of proof. People who make (extraordinary) claims are the ones who are required to prove those claims, and it is not the responsibility of rejectors of the claim to prove it false. This is especially important when said claims are unfalsifiable. See: The Dragon In My Garage.
__________________


Last edited by rushyrulz; 12-1-2017 at 09:23 PM..
rushyrulz is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:23 PM   #71
Kr1sp
FFR Player
 
Kr1sp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Age: 16
Posts: 2
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Im a Mormon. I was born into the church. i kinda like it, not only does everybody there give me support that i really need, i know God is there for me. its very comforting. It is also a really good way too keep my morals and shape me into possibly the best person I can be, and i am very grateful for it
Kr1sp is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:25 PM   #72
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author
 
MixMasterLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 5,098
Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
but keep in mind that the Bible and everything it says wasn't made for this generation. There's a gap that creates itself as society evolves and humanity is evolving fast right now. So, it is important that religion also evolve as well to stay relevant until things are proven one way or the other.
Actually, you're suppose to keep your life relevant to religion not the other way around. I don't know of a major religion that's like "yep might as well change so that people can have an easier time with it"

If we're sticking with the Christian Bible, then everything the New Testament says is still the rules until the earth ends or we get the Neo New Testament (which I'm pretty sure is not going to happen); how that jives with the zeitgeist is pretty much our problem and not God's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post

YOU made a post intended to stir up a conversation so you could ram down your hipster religion ideologies into other people's throats using your "ivy league friends" as some sort of ridiculous overpowering authority and you expected everyone to just sit back and let you lecture them on how their perception of the world is unenlightened
I'm extremely sure this never happened.
__________________

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

.
MixMasterLar is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:28 PM   #73
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author
 
MixMasterLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 5,098
Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Just gonna pop in here to say that people who reject a claim do not hold the burden of proof. People who make (extraordinary) claims are the ones who are required to prove those claims, and it is not the responsibility of rejectors of the claim to prove it false. This is especially important when said claims are unfalsifiable. See: The Dragon In My Garage.
I want to go on record and say this is absolutely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr1sp View Post
Im a Mormon. I was born into the church. i kinda like it, not only does everybody there give me support that i really need, i know God is there for me. its very comforting. It is also a really good way too keep my morals and shape me into possibly the best person I can be, and i am very grateful for it
I have a high level of respect for how Mormons carry their lives. Although I won't claim to be of their faith/in agreement with their beliefs, their churches do good work.
__________________

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

.
MixMasterLar is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:38 PM   #74
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rushyrulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 72 billion club, NE
Age: 28
Posts: 12,528
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

I think funnygurl is actually a gurl but u rite ninja
__________________

rushyrulz is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:43 PM   #75
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran
 
Mahou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 2,045
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Now kids

It’s okay to disagree sometimes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty rhino View Post
one does not simply hate everyone that plays stepmania
AND watch anime.
Mahou is online now  
Old 12-1-2017, 09:44 PM   #76
Travis_Flesher
Honored War Chief
FFR Veteran
 
Travis_Flesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 671
Default Re: Do you have a religion?



The power of christ compels you.
Exorcise these demons boys.
Think about it....


Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 12-1-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Travis_Flesher is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 10:34 PM   #77
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

My primary input into this thread right now is to warn everybody to stop using "retarded" as a pejorative. If you keep doing it, you'll start getting infracted.
devonin is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 10:39 PM   #78
Hakulyte
FFR & TWG Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran
 
Hakulyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Just gonna pop in here to say that people who reject a claim do not hold the burden of proof. People who make (extraordinary) claims are the ones who are required to prove those claims, and it is not the responsibility of rejectors of the claim to prove it false. This is especially important when said claims are unfalsifiable. See: The Dragon In My Garage.
I don't have the knowledge needed to justify if God exist or not.

I'm just following a feeling instead of reason to follow an ideal instead of reality because I believe that's an interesting take on the world and I'm cool living my life around that hypothesis. Also, how we see the world/universe etc. is constantly evolving too. We're not at a stage where we can sit down and be like "this is the absolute truth of all the questions we had, there's no point to debate about anything anymore".

The difference between Religion and the Dragon in the garage is that the Dragon doesn't have books dedicated to it with an entire segment of population preaching it + history marks left over multiple centuries.
Maybe that part of the population is crazy, but I like to think there's potentially more to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Actually, you're suppose to keep your life relevant to religion not the other way around. I don't know of a major religion that's like "yep might as well change so that people can have an easier time with it"

If we're sticking with the Christian Bible, then everything the New Testament says is still the rules until the earth ends or we get the Neo New Testament (which I'm pretty sure is not going to happen); how that jives with the zeitgeist is pretty much our problem and not God's.
Christianism is in decline where I live and this is like the natural consequence of the newer generations not caring about religion in general.
Grab a time machine and go back to like 1950 and religion was a center part of lives.
It is no longer a rare sight to see churches close/get replaced by other buildings and the trend for apatheism is real.
Everyone is becoming more self-centered and religion dropped heavily from the priority list as it gets less and less exposure.
It's difficult to care as much when this is happening.
Traditional values haven't exactly been in the spotlight of life in a long time either.
So yeah, my fault I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't approaching religion right, but I still thought this counted as a stance somehow.
Apparently, I can't even qualify as a believer if I'm skeptical about my own beliefs.
I mean cmon, it's not like you can fully erase doubts with this. Questions need to be answered to fully believe into something.
The point of beliefs is that you no longer have doubts about it.
There's no way you can do this here fmpov unless you want to live in an hypothetical stance.

Edit: My bad, I pretty much said every Christian is agnostic by default. If you're a believer, don't take that personal. I'm just trying to keep things simple.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 12-1-2017 at 10:47 PM..
Hakulyte is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 10:40 PM   #79
Nick012
FFR Player
 
Nick012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 104
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

lol this thread

EDIT: I'm gonna add something cuz why not
I was raised catholic, but I've grown to be mostly agnostic (Stopped believing in the catholic god ~ when i was 14 yrs old, but i was never a fervent believer).
I don't really think there's some kind of dependency or direct correlation between very smart people and religion.
Nick012 is offline  
Old 12-1-2017, 10:46 PM   #80
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,218
Default Re: Do you have a religion?

About the dash thing, ya actually still wrong duder

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
My primary input into this thread right now is to warn everybody to stop using "retarded" as a pejorative. If you keep doing it, you'll start getting infracted.
I'm really sorry about that.

GONNA KEEP GOING THRU THIS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
again, defending your use of something while chastising mine

or even more accurately using something you attack me for doing to justify doing another thing you also attack me for doing

next time don't pick fights you can't win and won't concede

to reiterate the shitty condescending op was picking a fight
but... I made the inference based on the thing your friend said. Like, material things. There was a reason for me to know he's a dumbass, because he made two dumb posts

Do you *know* my friends? Have you ever talked to any of them? Then how do you know they're stupid?

I also wouldn't call this losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post

I'm extremely sure this never happened.
Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i mean the op reeks of the same moral and ideological superiority complex that plagues most modern organized religions

you didn't make a post indicating you wanted to survey the theological landscape of users on the site, that's one thing, it would still probably devolve into what this had but at least I wouldn't have been a part of it

YOU made a post intended to stir up a conversation so you could ram down your hipster religion ideologies into other people's throats using your "ivy league friends" as some sort of ridiculous overpowering authority and you expected everyone to just sit back and let you lecture them on how their perception of the world is unenlightened

and i understand that i pissed you off because i intended to, but you're not pissed off at me, somewhere deep down inside you realize how ridiculously shallow and hypocritical everything in this thread you've said has been and you resent the fact that i made you reckon with it
I'm literally agnostic. Like... I don't think about religion. I don't care about religion. I'm fascinated by people of faith. I look up to people on this site, and I wanted to know their take on religion, since the people I met at college really surprised me with their beliefs.

I actually really like people on this site. That's why I met a lot of you at AN. That's why I still play TWG.

But I don't like arrogant pricks like Mina. I never did. I don't give a shit what "picking a fight" will make me look on this site. I'm doing a new thing called, "calling out bullshit."

Also, as one of my friends said, this is exactly the issue that I want to address: You guys are supporting Mina because of his status (whatever it is o.e) on this site, and not because of the actual content you provided. And I think that's wrong. I won't back down from a fight with Mina because of who he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
Funnygurl, with all due respect, im pretty telling someone to not make assumptions about your friend and then making assumptions about Mina's friends makes you look like a total hypocrite.
see above
Also, Mina's one friend, lofty rhino, who insulted me. That's how it's an appropriate inference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
You also kinda need to tone down your ivy league elitism a bit dude, it makes you sound really, REALLY, arrogant. Especially your comment on how "retards can't get Straight As"

EVEN THO YOU CALLED MINA OUT FOR CALLING PEOPLE RETARDED AND IDIOTS.

dude do you not hear yourself.
Actually, the comment I said about retards not getting straight A's are shitty on my part. People who aren't neurotypical can get straight A's. I'm not neurotypical myself. That was wrong. That was really wrong. I'm sorry.

However, you're calling ME arrogant and elitist? And not Mina? Are you sure? I mentioned that I go to an Ivy League to provide some sort of objective metric to measure my intelligence. I never mention I go to an Ivy League school here (well, unless it's appropriate. I made a thread about the mental health project I wanted to do, for example. I'm aiming for a Princeton-specific scholarship.)

You're also the person who shot down a completely legitimate thread on this site because you were annoyed by his post history, even if many forum regulars have made way worse threads. If anything, that's more elitist than what I've done. That being said, based on the other posts I've seen from you, I think you're cool and really mature for your age, but these posts you made AREN'T cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
I think funnygurl is actually a gurl but u rite ninja
Yep, I is in fact a girl

I'm going to say one more thing: I want to repeat that I really look up to you guys. That's why I made this thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post
Heh never underestimate the power of free time
boredom
wanting to get to know you all
true love
a sense of community
blackmail
weekend warriors
my desire to know everyone's dirty lil secrets


our mutual desire to be funny bois and gurls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
There comes a point where we have to ask our selves, "do we really want to deal with that, desperate as we are?"

I think we can all agree on the answer, yeah?

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 12-1-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Funnygurl555 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution