Old 04-3-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default Fall Memories [50 or 57]

If you'd like to view the file here:

The chart has only 47 AAAs and has mini jacks layered into a fast swing section (Fast for a 50 anyways). There is one particular brutal part around 600 combo - where minijacks precede a burst that is difficult to control. Only 168 players have even FC'd it. Looking at the scoreboard, only D5+ have AAA'd it, whereas if it really was a 50, you'd expect some D4 or D3 AAAs of it too. I know the song hasn't been played that much, but still. The minijacks in this are almost as hard as streets (61), but don't appear as often. Given the tempo and technicality of the file, I'd recommend around a 57.

I know this isn't in the Contested Chart Difficulties Sub-forum, but that forum is dead.

Last edited by TheSaxRunner05; 04-3-2017 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Added Spoiler
TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
Precarious
Unacceptable
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Fall Memories [50 or 57]

Some quick thoughts:

I've played this file extensively (it was the R5 song in the Official Tournament for D1--I was in D1 at the time), and it's definitely harder than the R6 song (All is fair in rage). AIFIR is currently a 51, which seems roughly appropriate. For a D1 player, AIFIR felt fairly fast, but it's very manageable as I moved up. Even at the time, Fall Memories seemed more difficult, and the difference has become exaggerated as I've improved. My tournament scores were 705-96-20-7-51 for FM and 816-61-2-2-24 for AIFIR. Despite the much worse goods equivalent of FM, my round ranks were approximately the same for both. I've since improved to 3g clean on AIFIR, and just had an 11-0-0-1 run on FM.

At the same time, FM is fairly manageable at my current ability level (which is to say high D3). I'd have a hard time AAAing it, but I could certainly SDG with a solid run. For me, songs in the 50-60 range are sort of spotty--some are eminently playable, others are well beyond my ability to do correctly. Although I find FM challenging, particularly the minijacks, the minijack+burst, and the general near-hand layout, I'd say it's mid-tier for that difficulty range. Something like 54 or 55 feels closer in my estimation, although since it caters to my general level, my own strengths and weaknesses certainly color my opinion of the playability of songs in this range.

Last edited by Precarious; 04-4-2017 at 12:01 AM..
Precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-3-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precarious View Post
Some quick thoughts:

I've played this file extensively (it was the R5 song in the Official Tournament for D1--I was in D1 at the time), and it's definitely harder than the R6 song (All is fair in rage). AIFIR is currently a 51, which seems roughly appropriate. For a D1 player, AIFIR felt fairly fast, but it's very manageable as I moved up. Even at the time, Fall Memories seemed more difficult, and the difference has become exaggerated as I've improved. My tournament scores were 705-96-20-7-51 for FM and 816-61-2-2-24 for AIFIR. Despite the much worse goods equivalent of FM, my round ranks were approximately the same for both. I've since improved to 3g clean on AIFIR, and just had an 11-0-0-1 run on FM.

At the same time, FM is fairly manageable at my current ability level (which is to say high D3). I'd have a hard time AAAing it, but I could certainly SDG with a solid run. For me, songs in the 50-60 range are sort of spotty--some are eminently playable, others are well beyond my ability to do correctly. Although I find FM challenging, particularly the minijacks, the minijack+burst, and the general near-hand layout, I'd say it's mid-tier for that difficulty range. Something like 54 or 55 feels closer in my estimation, although since it caters to my general level, my own strengths and weaknesses certainly color my opinion of the playability of songs in this range.
Thanks for going fairly in depth on this.

I think it's actually very similar to a song that's a bit faster but with less technicality - Amerfuri, which is a 55. 57 may have been slightly overstated.

Anyone else check it out yet?

Old 04-4-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

57 is overboard. 50 might be low. The patterns aren't actually that difficult and AAA/FC metrics can't really be used on a file this new.

Based on patterning alone, that bursty section in the middle is probably enough to raise it a few difficulties, but not all the way to 57.

Looking at other files that are rated 57 with minijacks, prominently: Voodoo People and FrainBreeze, it's just not up to par.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

The general consensus from the SotW thread was that Frainbreeze was a couple points low. After AAAing Amefuri as well yesterday though, I have come to feel these two charts should be the same (55). Amerfuri is faster, but less technical swing chart. 57 is a bit much.