Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #101
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Song Corrections Thread

The genre of Mou Uta Shika Kikoenai should be changed from Medieval Rock to Touhou. As should False Strawberry, which is labeled as Andean music. That made me giggle a bit.
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #102
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Touhou in itself isn't a genre.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #103
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Touhou can be used to specify a particular genre of music. (just like VG for example) I guess Touhou Rock, VG Rock or Symphonic Rock can do for Mou Uta. False Strawberry is harder to come with a genre, was tagged Andean probably because of the pan flute. Maybe Andean Folk/Touhou.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #104
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Isn't "Touhou" music classified as Dōjin music?

Because I noticed the usage of this term numerous times, with legitimate use that is.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #105
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Usually doujin music is used as a classification, not the actual genre.
It's akin to calling a something "indie" music, not really a genre in itself.

You can have a doujin rock song, where rock is the genre.

Using Touhou as a genre is a little weird, because we wouldn't just label say BB Evolution with the genre "Final Fantasy"
On the other hand there are SO MANY Touhou remixes that it's kinda taken on a life of its own as a subset of music. idk

Last edited by hi19hi19; 12-18-2013 at 11:21 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #106
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Touhou in itself isn't a genre.
There are 7 songs in FFR whose genre contains "Touhou," or is just outright Touhou. Kil Stage is even labeled as "Touhou 2"

If someone is searching the FFR Song List for Touhou songs, labeling these songs with "/Touhou" would be very useful!

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 12-18-2013 at 11:32 PM..
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #107
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i mean there's also Children's punk and irish groove
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #108
James May
FFR Player

On the issue of touhou remixes...I came across the issue of Four Chord Touhou. I have the same file (well not exactly the same but the mp3s are similar but the one I have on sm the song was called "Touhou Apocalypse". If I was on my comp I could easily pull it out but sadly I can't until Saturday...

On another note, shouldn't the artist credit for SigSig be "KorsK (remixed by _______)"? I'm a bit confused by it because I thought that remixes in general needs to be credited "artist x (remixed by artist y)"...

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #109
Crazyjayde
FFR Veteran
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

@hi19 I figured it's also akin to describing a song as "Video Game Music", or an artist as "Singer/Songwriter". A classification yes, but an undeniably necessary one for sure.
Crazyjayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #110
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
On another note, shouldn't the artist credit for SigSig be "KorsK (remixed by _______)"? I'm a bit confused by it because I thought that remixes in general needs to be credited "artist x (remixed by artist y)"...
likely to avoid copyright issues with kosuke

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #111
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

There really should be a format standardization for remixes.. I saw so many different formats when it comes to remixes:

1. (Original Artist) - (Track Title) (____ Remix or similar)
2. (Original Artist) remixed by (Remixer) - (Track Title) (____ Remix or similar)
3. (Remixer) - (Track Title) (____ Remix or similar)

there are a couple of files that have (track title) (____ Remix) and the artist is the original artist (such as Extratone Pirates [Drunk Optimus Remix], which has the artist Annoying Ringtone) and there are a couple of files that have (track title) (____ Remix) and the artist is the remixer (such as Hello (Luke Da Duke Remix), which has the artist Remixed by Luke Da Luke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rCaliberGX View Post
There's a track called Connect [HOUSE SOUL REMIX], which has the artist ClariS remixed by taqumi. We don't have permission for ClariS, I don't think that's the case

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 12-19-2013 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: format change, also I'm retarded
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #112
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
On the issue of touhou remixes...I came across the issue of Four Chord Touhou. I have the same file (well not exactly the same but the mp3s are similar but the one I have on sm the song was called "Touhou Apocalypse". If I was on my comp I could easily pull it out but sadly I can't until Saturday...
It might be a mistake from the step artist, although I'm not quite sure. This might be the sm file you're talking about : http://stepmania-online.com/index.ph...=song&sid=7243
"4 Chord Touhou" doesn't return a lot of google results and most of them are FFR-related.

Quote:
I'm not sure, there are other more known artists out there we don't have permission and are labeled by their name (Capsule, Ricky Martin). Maybe it has to do with how the file was labeled when it was converted.

Quote:
Yep, should be "kors k remixed by Yuuyu"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 View Post
There really should be a format standardization for remixes.. there are a couple of files that have (track title) (____ Remix) and the artist is the original artist (such as Extratone Pirates [Drunk Optimus Remix], which has the artist Annoying Ringtone) and others that also have (track title) (_____ Remix) and the artist is the original artist AND remixed by said remixer (such as Connect [HOUSE SOUL REMIX], which has the artist ClariS remixed by taqumi).
As far as I know, that's the way things go (ORIGINALARTIST remixed by REMIXER).
Things are a bit different for classical songs with performers (COMPOSER / PERFORMER).

Last edited by noname219; 12-19-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #113
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

The problem is that when it comes to remixes, there is no consistency. There's a couple of files such as Stories Can Wait (Virtual Riot Remix) and Extratone Pirates (Drunk Optimus Remix) that only have the original artist, whereas there are others such as Hello (Luke da Luke Remix) that has the format you mentioned, (Original Artist remixed by Remixer).

Some artists (such as Drunk Optimus) release their remixes with the format that only the artist listed is only the original artist:

So which format do you follow then? I feel that there should be some standardisation to just prevent confusion and to also have consistency.
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #114
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Everytime I've come across a remix when doing more research on the clean-up, I followed the same format. There are about 10-15 songs corrections I've proposed concerning this.

The only time it's really problematic is for video game soundtracks. We have tons of remixed vg songs and the additional information will create noise. There's sometimes more than 1 composer for OST, Super Mario RPG has 3 : Yoko Shimomura / Koji Kondo / Nobuo Uematsu. Super Mario Galaxy 2 also has 3.
And that Black Wing Metamorphosis song is even crazier. Following this format, it would look like this : Nobuo Uematsu remixed by Fishy, Jillian Aversa, Sixto Sounds, Steffan Andrews, Suzumebachi, bLiNd & tefnek. Didn't found a solution for this.

At least one song is a remix of remix. Wish (Reprise) : Charlotte Summer remixed by jihnsius remixed by iPatcH. Proposed to change to Charlotte Summer remixed by iPatcH instead.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #115
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Artist for "Stuck" should be The Queenstons, not Sonitus Vir. Suppose it doesn't really matter because Renard, but it's been bugging me.
http://web.archive.org/web/201305122...om/track/stuck
Gradiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #116
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm confused about something, is Queen P.A.L. a pseudo of Cranky ?
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #117
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
There are 7 songs in FFR whose genre contains "Touhou," or is just outright Touhou. Kil Stage is even labeled as "Touhou 2"

If someone is searching the FFR Song List for Touhou songs, labeling these songs with "/Touhou" would be very useful!
Touhou can be used as a descriptor of a genre, but not a genre itself. As for Touhou 1/2, I'll look into it.

Quote:
There isn't any standard in presenting the name of a remix, and I don't have any intentions of creating a standard. Most often I just put in whatever the name of the song is, and whatever format that comes with it.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname219 View Post
The only time it's really problematic is for video game soundtracks. We have tons of remixed vg songs and the additional information will create noise. There's sometimes more than 1 composer for OST, Super Mario RPG has 3 : Yoko Shimomura / Koji Kondo / Nobuo Uematsu. Super Mario Galaxy 2 also has 3.
And that Black Wing Metamorphosis song is even crazier. Following this format, it would look like this : Nobuo Uematsu remixed by Fishy, Jillian Aversa, Sixto Sounds, Steffan Andrews, Suzumebachi, bLiNd & tefnek. Didn't found a solution for this.
See, this is why you shouldn't follow standardization to a T. Just let it be.
If you want a full detailed description of credits, it should be stored elsewhere, such as a wiki. In a video game, it would be the ending credits. Putting a long-winded detail of accreditation isn't an "artist name".

Quote:
At least one song is a remix of remix. Wish (Reprise) : Charlotte Summer remixed by jihnsius remixed by iPatcH. Proposed to change to Charlotte Summer remixed by iPatcH instead.
Oh neat. Do you have any links to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradiant View Post
Artist for "Stuck" should be The Queenstons, not Sonitus Vir. Suppose it doesn't really matter because Renard, but it's been bugging me.
http://web.archive.org/web/201305122...om/track/stuck
Thanks, I'll change that.

Quote:
I'm confused about something, is Queen P.A.L. a pseudo of Cranky ?
It is (and only for that song as far as I know).
Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #118
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
There isn't any standard in presenting the name of a remix, and I don't have any intentions of creating a standard. Most often I just put in whatever the name of the song is, and whatever format that comes with it.
He was talking about the artist name.

Quote:
See, this is why you shouldn't follow standardization to a T. Just let it be.
If you want a full detailed description of credits, it should be stored elsewhere, such as a wiki. In a video game, it would be the ending credits. Putting a long-winded detail of accreditation isn't an "artist name".
Yeah, that's why I made a distinction for vg remixes in the op. When I saw a vg composer, I proposed to remove the name : Injury and Koji Kondo, 7 OCReMixers & Nobuo Uematsu, Glome & Hiroshi Sakimoto, etc.
(composer information will likely be put in the wiki)

Quote:
Oh neat. Do you have any links to this?
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=42942

Hearing the song again, it would make more sense to label it as "jihnsius remixed by iPatcH". There's no trace of Charlotte Summer anymore in this.

Last edited by noname219; 12-19-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #119
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
He was talking about the artist name.
Mm, same thing applies. Artists have their own various ways of presenting their names, and I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I made a distinction for vg remixes in the op. When I saw a vg composer, I proposed to remove the name : Injury and Koji Kondo, 7 OCReMixers & Nobuo Uematsu, Glome & Hiroshi Sakimoto, etc.
(composer information will likely be put in the wiki)
Oh good, sounds like a plan.
Old 02-7-2014, 07:15 PM   #120
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

So there's this song called "(Gonna Rape) Kylie"... and because of the parentheses it shows up at the very top of the song list when you load up the engine. After seeing it there a few times it occurred to me that having a song name like that so prominently displayed sends a bad message, and could easily offend people and push them away from the site.

The fix is easy - renaming the song to either "Gonna Rape Kylie" or "Kylie" would push the song away from the top of the list. I'd personally prefer the second one. It's common to refer to a song with a parenthesized part by just removing that part, such as calling "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" just "Satisfaction", and of course it removes the objectionable part entirely. The song lyrics themselves aren't offensive, just the (parenthesized) title, so nothing else needs changing and the song shouldn't be removed. I know we like to be accurate in song titles, but I think it wouldn't hurt to make an exception in this case.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote