Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Audio and Music Production

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #11
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 724: After Hours by The Weeknd

I'm sure somewhere in this longass thread I've mentioned before that I hate this guy's music, but everyone online has been fapping over this album and the sex they imagine they'll have to it, so I felt obligated to give it a shot. With that in mind, this is obviously going to be VERY biased, but I'm making that clear now. Dude did a good job playing a douchebag in Uncut Gems though, which was my favorite of the 4 or 5 movies I saw in 2019.

Yeah, for the most part, this album exemplifies why this guy just doesn't work for me. Granted, I can recognize effort was put into this, and a LOT of it at that, but... yech. His falsetto isn't bad, but it does get repetitive. What is bad are the lyrics, and boy a lot of them are BAD... Or maybe they're not and I'm just biased? Google them yourself to tell me if I am or not!

I think what it really is is just how lowbrow some of the lyrics seem for the softer, Drake-mopey ballads here, and those ballads make up the majority of the album! The production there doesn't keep me interested and also gets repetitive, and all in all this album just makes me think of the sweatiest, smelliest, most unappealing sex ever. It's nowhere near as bad as Aubrey Graham's Grooming Parlor! I want to be clear on that, but this just very much isn't my cup of tea.

And as for the non-ballads... I actually like some of these! I wasn't expecting that, but shit reminds me of the darkwave clubs I went to in NYC, even if only vaguely. Those songs are upbeat, fun, and dancy. The lyrics still get kinda gross on occasion but they somehow bother me far less. Too bad they make up, like, a quarter of all the tracks here.

All in all... I feel like I'm going to have to give this a 3rd or 4th listen. Maybe the ballads will grow on me? Maybe I'll realize I don't like the upbeat tracks as much as I did?

Ahh who gives a fuck I'm rating this based on 1st and 2nd impression. Maybe I'll change my score down the line.

Maybe not nobody reads this shit who gives a fuck. Give me all the coronavirus.

Best Track: In Your Eyes
Rating: 4/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 03-22-2020 at 03:12 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote