Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: optimizing skills

I played Stepmania first...playing FFR will only get you so far in skill imo

For going from low divisions to D5/D6:

-Be sure that hardware isn't limiting your skills, ensure that full potential can be realized with the proper computer/keyboard that works best for you
-I won't stress about health that much (I don't) but don't expect to be playing well if you're running on less than 4 hours sleep or you're hungover etc.
-If you haven't by this point, PLAY STEPMANIA!! Challenge yourself by playing files that tire you out, work towards being able to reliably FC songs that you had difficulty on before. I wouldn't stress that MAing is important since it's FFR, but it isn't a bad idea.
-Reading. Probably the most important skill you need to master this game. Like others have said, if you can understand the clusters coming your way, the better chances you have of developing a means by which to attack said patterns. If you can read a certain speed comfortably, increase it slightly until you read THAT mod comfortably (this can take a lot of time so don't rush). Repeat until increasing even a little makes it difficult to read and you've reached your max.
-I wouldn't say that pattern manipulation is of utmost importance, throw that into high D6, since the only REAL manipulation I use is jump-trilling rolls and jump-jacking fast trills...pretty straightforward...taking screenshots of sections is something I've only done once and I don't think it's necessary in order to become D5/D6
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
kmay
Don't forget me
FFR Veteran

SM hasn't transferred to FFR at all for me. only thing it does it warm up me faster. I can read shit on SM that i will never be able to read on FFR. but thats just me. i apparently suck. or i just need to devote more time trying to transfer my skill
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Playing songs I know on SM on higher rates is helping me improve my speed

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I wanted to add one more upside to reading ability.

Ever tried putting a newbie on a DDR machine and immediately send him/her into a 7-footer? What happens? They flail all over the place, tire out, and get shitty scores (if not fail altogether).

Same thing happens when you encounter a pattern/cluster you don't know how to read: You toss way too many potshot keypresses haphazardly, and with too much energy expenditure (which is why people who resort to mashing tend to wind up with larger boocounts).

Learning how to read means your taps are far more calculated, and you have greater control on how much energy you actually need to use to tackle a pattern. Files like 0x1331 in Stepmania, for example, require speed. Odds are, though, that your hands are perfectly fast enough. But you'll feel incredibly tired if you can't read the file because you're mashing shit randomly.

So, in a way, I'd almost advise against "pattern manipulation" or getting too comfortable with approximating heuristics/"controlled mashing," etc, since all you're really doing is gambling with your PA and not improving your core speed or reading skills.

EDIT: However, I do agree with Dynam0 about jumptrilling fast rolls or jumpjacking fast trills as an approximation -- those tend to work well and are relatively low-risk at the same time.

Vibrating, though, I don't think is a necessary skill at *all* for FFR, except for maybe Crowdpleaser. But even then, I was never able to AAA the trill through vibration alone (again, it's a gamble). Was only able to do it using overlay setup.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 08-22-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Quick question, is the judgement easier at a higher rate on SM or did I just SDGreat a song at x1.4?

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Anyone on this site can AAA/FC Death Piano end trills without vibrating/overlay/DS?
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Anyone on this site can AAA/FC Death Piano end trills without vibrating/overlay/DS?
Yeah, that one's actually not all that hard to do. No need for tricks on that one, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
Quick question, is the judgement easier at a higher rate on SM or did I just SDGreat a song at x1.4?
Judgement windows remain constant -- the steps are just faster/harder.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Emanresu13
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
Focus on your weaknesses. Do not try comparing your skills to high tier players. Enjoy the game.

i'm on the fence about controlled mashing. it's the only way i can pass some stuff, but it doesn't help me to understand the chart. so, woohoo i passed, but what was the point?

the point that was made about actually finishing files is important as well. what better way to get mindblocked, than to keep doing the first 30 seconds of a chart over and over.

i'll echo Reincarnate about reading ability being key. i'll also say that the slower speed mod you can handle, the better your actual reading ability is.

also, to me, ffr feels like stepmania on sudden. this explains why "c575" is comfortable on ffr, while i prefer c750 on sm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
^

Last edited by Emanresu13; 08-23-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Emanresu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I'm pretty sure 180bpm jacks count as vibrating (or w/e the bpm is there) So to say it doesn't require vibrating is kinda silly.

I'll be updating this thread today, and I'm still looking for scores old or new and what division you think they fit in! (really the more the better)

test

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Last edited by Findarian; 09-18-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #30
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love you View Post
Focus on your weaknesses. Do not try comparing your skills to high tier players. Enjoy the game.
this

edit: If theres anything ive learned regarding physicality, you need to have good finger control. you dont want to use your arms for every thing, this can cause tension which will wreck your speed and stamina.

Last edited by V-Ormix; 08-27-2012 at 02:18 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote