Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR
Default Attention people who live on their own (hi guys it's EnR :D)

So I've been off FFR for a while but hey >

I found a job 5 hours away(Kitchener) from my home(Sudbury) and I'll be moving on my own(I'm 18, 19 in September) The job doesn't even pay that well but it's the best I can get. I wanted to know if you guys can help me out and let me know roughly how much I'll be spending monthly on living.

The apartment I want is 750+utilities
How much does food cost a month for one person?
Internet per month?
I don't need cable/digital cable because I never watch TV.

I'll only be making 2100-2500 a month after taxes.

Thanks a ton, guys.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Thatskier
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Thatskier Send a message via Skype™ to Thatskier
Default Re: Attention people who live on their own (hi guys it's EnR :D)

Location Location Location. It depends on where you live.
Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 D1A: 1st Place

The Tournament of Immortality D1: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Let's put it this way: This file is fun.
Thatskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

you'll have plenty if you're making even 1.5k.

utilities paid is also the best investment, but for one person it seems a tad expensive but watev. Internets will cost you roughly 50, but ontario is dumb and has bandwidth caps so watch out. food if you want to eat healthy will cost you somewhere around 125$ per month. if you want to be a cheap starving student kind of person, 75 is plenty. you can never have enough canned foods since they make a quick and filling meal (canned veggies, potatoes, soups, watev.)

also get yourself a huge bag of rice and a rice cooker. its a super filling starch and is really cheap/decent for you if you get basmati rice. you'll thank yourself in the long run.

I've been living off ~800 per month + 200 from my girlfriend that's working giga part time going to college. rent is 850 cuz we have to pay our own fucen electricity (230 per month during winter wut)
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Sweet_Feet
Washed Up
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
you'll have plenty if you're making even 1.5k.
this

Here's some of my estimates for the other stuff.

Food for one: 200-250 ish
Internet: 4 mbps - $30 / 6 mpbs - $45 / 12 mpbs - $75 per month (Source)
Sweet_Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

It really does vary based on where you live. Food for one person well it depends what you're going to eat. If you stick to cheaper stuff and store brands you would prob spend like 40 a week otherwise probably more like 80 for name brands and such. Internet varies a lot by company and location but that's usually somewhere around 40 a month. Things such as electric will vary a lot depending on if you're going to be running ac and such a lot it's harder for me to say with one person because I've always had other people that have lived with me so we were usually around 100 a month for eletric. Your gas will vary based on what you need it for some places need it for heating some places it's just for your hot water.

With what you're making a month I'm sure you'll be fine just make sure you budget yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Prepare for meltdown

My rent = $1400/month
Utilities = $25-$40/month
Internet = $25/month
Student loans = $1000/month
Food = $300-500/month depending on restaurants

NYC god damn you lmfao
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

We'll estimate your rent, utilities, and internet to be about $800. Even if you're spending $200/month on food, that leaves you with over a grand each month leftover, which is totally fine.

Just turn off your lights when you're not using them, and don't waste AC power. AC bills can run up hardcore if you abuse them.

Put away a little money each month into a savings account so you earn interest. Also open up a credit card so you can start improving your credit scores and limits. Pay off everything you charge in full by the end of the month. Credit cards can be really appealing to people who like to spend more than they have, but this often backfires. Don't spend what you don't have and you'll slowly get better credit. This way you'll be able to use your credit card for emergencies or unexpectedly high costs more easily (they hit us all -- nobody likes to get hit with a $2000 bill out of nowhere, but sometimes it just happens based on life circumstances). Having good credit will save you money in the long run, as people with better credit usually get better deals when you go on to buy larger/more expensive items since you'll be calculated as less risky and therefore you'll be able to make such purchases on more favorable terms/rates.

Cook as often as you can in order to save money. When you go out to eat, you're wasting money on markup and labor, which isn't a bad thing if you enjoy hanging out with friends and all -- just don't do it every single day. Noodles and veggies are dirt cheap and you can prepare a little meat here and there for nominal cost.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-17-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

I never have lights on, I'm the one who turns 'em off at my house right now(well parents house)

I never watch TV, I'll be working four 12 hour shifts a week so I won't even be home often.

Also for people saying location, I know, I was just getting some estimates. I WANT to spend about 1100 min for living and have 1000+ to buy a new car.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

PS: A good heuristic is to multiply your net monthly income by 30% to get a safe maximum for your rent payment. In your case, that's about 690 or so (assuming an average between 2100 and 2500 net income). Try to find a slightly cheaper place if you can help it. That's an extra $60/month that could go to a lot of useful things.

I say this because as you build yourself up, you WILL be taking on more expenses. Don't lock yourself into something that will limit your upside later.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
We'll estimate your rent, utilities, and internet to be about $800. Even if you're spending $200/month on food, that leaves you with over a grand each month leftover, which is totally fine.

Just turn off your lights when you're not using them, and don't waste AC power. AC bills can run up hardcore if you abuse them.

I never have lights on, always windows or small lamps. My room is always dark mwahahahah.

Put away a little money each month into a savings account so you earn interest. Also open up a credit card so you can start improving your credit scores and limits. Pay off everything you charge in full by the end of the month. Credit cards can be really appealing to people who like to spend more than they have, but this often backfires. Don't spend what you don't have and you'll slowly get better credit. This way you'll be able to use your credit card for emergencies or unexpectedly high costs more easily (they hit us all -- nobody likes to get hit with a $2000 bill out of nowhere, but sometimes it just happens based on life circumstances). Having good credit will save you money in the long run, as people with better credit usually get better deals when you go on to buy larger/more expensive items since you'll be calculated as less risky and therefore you'll be able to make such purchases on more favorable terms/rates.

I'll already be putting everything I don't spend in the bank to save up some cash, I also already have a credit card.

Cook as often as you can in order to save money. When you go out to eat, you're wasting money on markup and labor, which isn't a bad thing if you enjoy hanging out with friends and all -- just don't do it every single day. Noodles and veggies are dirt cheap and you can prepare a little meat here and there for nominal cost.

Here's my biggest fear... I can't cook. I never use ovens or stoves or anything. I can basically make grill cheese, perogies, salad, nachos and anything in a microwave or toaster.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
PS: A good heuristic is to multiply your net monthly income by 30% to get a safe maximum for your rent payment. In your case, that's about 690 or so (assuming an average between 2100 and 2500 net income). Try to find a slightly cheaper place if you can help it. That's an extra $60/month that could go to a lot of useful things.

I say this because as you build yourself up, you WILL be taking on more expenses. Don't lock yourself into something that will limit your upside later.
I can't find anything cheaper, I need to move ASAP and I have a dog whom I'm not parting with.

Theres one thats a one minute walk from the shop, but it's hideous, one bedroom and not furnished. The one I'm looking at is a 2 bedroom(I do plan on having guest's) furnished, in a better part of town and still only a 10 minute drive to work, it also has a garage for when I buy my S2000
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

The fact that it's furnished will help offset costs for now, so that place is probably fine.

As for cooking, there are plenty of ways to cook and eat cheaply. If you can use a microwave or boil water in a pot or put food in a pan, you can cook.

(You may not be able to cook WELL, but at least you'll be able to cook and eat! XD )

I personally suck at cooking so badly
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
Superfreak04
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
I can't find anything cheaper, I need to move ASAP and I have a dog whom I'm not parting with.

Theres one thats a one minute walk from the shop, but it's hideous, one bedroom and not furnished. The one I'm looking at is a 2 bedroom(I do plan on having guest's) furnished, in a better part of town and still only a 10 minute drive to work, it also has a garage for when I buy my S2000
If your job is 10 minutes away, why not ride a bike? You'll save gas and money this way. So when you buy your car, you won't have to use it everywhere you go.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

Start learning to cook and fast!

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't know shit about cars, but that's going to be a big thing to factor in too if you choose to get one (car price + insurance + gas). I agree with superfreak that if it's a 10 minute drive, I'd seriously consider just biking it. Then again if you plan to drive around to other places (like buying groceries or visiting friends/stores/etc) or other cities, having a car is fine. It just depends on where you're living/working. Just make sure you budget correctly.

Also don't forget about costs like laundry. IDK if you have a washer/dryer or not. Are you planning on getting insurance, too?

Here in NYC, I don't use a car and neither do most of my friends. It's a needless cost here when there's so much public transit and ways of getting around (even to other cities).

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-17-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
Thatskier
FFR Player

No no dont listen to rubix about food. Get a woman to make you a sammich.

Quote:
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I can't beat that logic. :X
Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
I don't know shit about cars, but that's going to be a big thing to factor in too if you choose to get one (car price + insurance + gas). I agree with superfreak that if it's a 10 minute drive, I'd seriously consider just biking it. Then again if you plan to drive around to other places (like buying groceries or visiting friends/stores/etc) or other cities, having a car is fine. It just depends on where you're living/working. Just make sure you budget correctly.

I'm FORSURE buying an S2000. My parents are paying half and they've agree'd that I can stay under their insurance. I also plan on driving back home on my 4 off days to hang out with friends, go to Wonderland in the summer etcetc.
Gas will only be 2-4 dollars a day to drive to work and back 20kms with a car that does 13L/100KM city.

Also don't forget about costs like laundry. IDK if you have a washer/dryer or not. Are you planning on getting insurance, too?

Laundry is, maybe once every two weeks? I'll be working 48 hours day shifts one week and 36 hours night shifts the next week, the it repeats. So I won't even be needing to change my clothes often.

Here in NYC, I don't use a car and neither do most of my friends. It's a needless cost here when there's so much public transit and ways of getting around (even to other cities).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak04 View Post
If your job is 10 minutes away, why not ride a bike? You'll save gas and money this way. So when you buy your car, you won't have to use it everywhere you go.
What if I bought a motorcycle and get my license. I mean... The bike I want can be bought BRAND NEW for 7000ish and 4000ish used and they're amazing on gas.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
Thatskier
FFR Player

Honda s2000. Yeah i have that its a wonderful summertime car. Hopefully you dont live in a place where it snows as it has no four wheel drive and (mine at least) is not a hard top

Quote:
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm assuming you have enough right now to purchase half the car?