Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #41
sertman
DADALADAH
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to sertman Send a message via MSN to sertman
Default Re: For College Age Members Only (17-28)

Age?: 17
Sex?: Male
Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think): Securities and Risk Analysis major
Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?: Doctor
Why did you choose the answer you did?: Because I want to be Dr. something
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: Because male nurses are weird
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: No, because i can't STAND the sight of vomit :/

sertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #42
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Nurses actually get paid quite well, guys.
Yeah, seems that a lot of people are confused as to what a nurse actually is and does, which is what I was going to mention earlier.
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #43
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

Age?: 17
Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think): Doctor or surgeon.
Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?: A doctor
Why did you choose the answer you did?: Because that is my current goal right now, being a doctor would be really fun and it is a prestigious position to add some cream on top.
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: Because nursing is really hard, I don't think I could deal with the day to day life of patients... Also, nurses don't get paid enough money for my liking. I hope to get into a field of medicine which allows me to have my own business with it (radiology, for instance) and make serious cash, I am very interested in money.
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: I am seriously considering a career in medicine, very seriously. I enjoy doing chemistry, a lot, but there is not enough social interaction, with medicine you get to learn about chemistry and medicines and the way they work on the body (one of the most interesting things to me) even if it is not necessarily the main focus, the actual doctor work (diagnosis and treatment and stuff) is also very interesting, and the money is right.

Last edited by Hr2; 09-26-2006 at 01:25 PM..
Hr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #44
emptiness
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to emptiness

Age?:18
Sex?:Male
Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think): Chemistry, Pre-Pharmacy, Pharmacy
Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?: Doctor
Why did you choose the answer you did?:Highly respected and paid
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: I don't want to be like my sister.
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: Already do.

***Nurses get paid about 60K in Georgia..(thats not bad)
Old 09-26-2006, 01:49 PM   #45
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
Age?: 21
Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think): I have had many options run through my mind: author, game designer, and EMT are among the myriad of possibilities. I'm leaning towards the last one mainly because I'm taking a course in first response right now (if only because I thought it was just CPR certification at the time of registration).
Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?: Probably a nurse.
Why did you choose the answer you did?: It's easier to take care of somebody than to find out what's wrong with them.
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: I am aware of the immense burden of schoolwork involved in earning a degree (my dad's a PhD, and my mom's going for hers), and I'm not about to get in over my head in schoolwork going after that MD.
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: It's not money, it's that I don't want to get overwhelmed by either schoolwork (en route to the degree) or PTSD (brought on by practice).

Thanks in advance.
Don't mention it.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #46
Steve-OOO1
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Age?: 18
Desired Career Path?: Biologist
Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?: doctor
Why did you choose the answer you did?: Because id rather be a doctor.
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: Because it would be boring
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: O yea for sure.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #47
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Age?: 19

Desired Career Path?: Lawyer

Why did you choose the answer you did?: Doctor > Nurse.

Why didn't you choose the other answer?: Nurse is to femininity as life is to death.

Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: No, I wouldn't enjoy it and I always said I would take a job I enjoy over a job that I would get paid more for.
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #48
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution

Thanks for the info guys, give me till this evening to compile the data. The topic I wanted to discuss was, as most of you figured, sexism in hospitals. Why are most nurses female? Why are most doctors male? Are they? What have you guys seen?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #49
whorlichan
Tiny Plastic Meat

Send a message via AIM to whorlichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
Thanks for the info guys, give me till this evening to compile the data. The topic I wanted to discuss was, as most of you figured, sexism in hospitals. Why are most nurses female? Why are most doctors male? Are they? What have you guys seen?
In my personal experience, it's the opposite. In the human hospitals I've been a patient in, nearly all my doctors have been female. In addition, almost all of my nurses have been male. This is obviously some kind of weird coincidence though, since I know a lot of doctors are in fact male, and the majority of nurses are female.

In the animal hospitals I've worked in, it seems to be split between day jobs and emergency/night shifts. Day doctors are more likely to be male, possibly because the hours are set and there's rarely overtime to be put in. Overnight/emergency doctors are much more likely to be female (out of 3 hospitals I've worked in and 2 I've gone to as a client, I've only seen 2 male doctors on emergency overnights). And technicians (the veterinary version of a nurse) are 90% female. The hospital I work in now has 2 full-time male techs (still during the day! Only girls work at night!) and has recently hired 2 more for part time (again, daytime only. What, guys can't stay awake at night?)

I've never met a male receptionist, hospital or animal hospital or anything.
My friend Cassie's amazing photography
whorlichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #50
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

Stereotypes that were passed down through the ages. Doctor is the lead role, nurse is the assistant. CEO is the lead role, reciptionist is the assistant. Stage magician is the lead role, sexy girl in a bunny outfit is the assistant.

Also, Doctor is a cool title. Men like to have titles. It's cooler to be Dr. Lantz than Mr. Lantz. Nurse is a nurturing, caring type of word, which guys kinda go "I AM MAN WE MADE FIRE" and forget about it.
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #51
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

just want you people to know
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #52
JurseyRider734
lil j the bad b-word
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JurseyRider734 Send a message via Skype™ to JurseyRider734

I would have answered Doctor for mine but i'm not old enough =(

Well I filled it out in TGB but that doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurseyRider734
the fact that you're resorting to threatening physical violence says a lot anyway.
Just that you're a piece of shit who can't see reason and instead deserves a fucking beating.
JurseyRider734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #53
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Age?: 19
Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think): Music
Why did you choose the answer you did?: Doctors are given more creative freedom to work with, whereas nurses act as helpers, and I don't mean any disrespect towards nurses. Hospitals couldn't function without them.
Why didn't you choose the other answer?: A nurse isn't considered as successful as a doctor.
Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?: No, I would not. I have very little interest in medicine.

Aaahhh, probably too late.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM   #54
ViperSnake
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to ViperSnake Send a message via Skype™ to ViperSnake

Mine is probably late too, but eh I'll do it anyway.

Sex: Male

Desired Career Path: Graphic Design / CAD

Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse: Doctor

Why did you choose the answer you did: My dad's a radiologist, and he definitely makes a lot more money than a nurse.

Why didn't you choose the other answer: Nurses simply don't make as much money and most of the time they are being told what to do by doctors.

Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue: No, I'm just not interested in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWarZoid & Sertman
Originally Posted by SuperWarZoid
hi i exist
Originally Posted by Sertman
go kill yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseXshame View Post
and also
what the hell are stickies?
go **** YOURself
idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
so anyway yeah controversy

Last edited by ViperSnake; 09-28-2006 at 11:59 AM..
ViperSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #55
Hr2
FFR Player

I volunteer in a hospital and I mostly see nurses. While the nurses are mostly female, there are 4-5 male nurses and techs on the floor I'm on. When doctors come in, there are more male than female doctors, but not a huge amount more. However, all the female doctors I've seen are young, not one who I would say is over 30.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #56
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter

I don't have any experience with the doctor field but my mom is a nurse and she says that most of her staff are female EXCEPT travel nurses, she said they tend to be more male. Travel nurses are under contract and go from place to place every 3 months or so. I don't know if that has any significance.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #57
Hr2
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter View Post
I don't have any experience with the doctor field but my mom is a nurse and she says that most of her staff are female EXCEPT travel nurses, she said they tend to be more male. Travel nurses are under contract and go from place to place every 3 months or so. I don't know if that has any significance.
I think it does have significance, if they have kids they would not want to be traveling a lot, although the pay is likely better for the inconvenience.

Another thing, not exactly like it, but somewhat, is dental hygenists. My dentist in Canada hired only male hygenists, why? Because they rarely got pregnant. He'd have a great hygenist, who was female of course, then they'd take a year off because they had a baby, then they'd want to work 3 day weeks for the next year, take another year off for a baby, and continue with 3 day weeks until their children were out of elementary school. He thought this was a huge hassle, because he'd have to hire four or five part time hygenists instead of two full time.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #58
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr2 View Post
I think it does have significance, if they have kids they would not want to be traveling a lot, although the pay is likely better for the inconvenience.

Another thing, not exactly like it, but somewhat, is dental hygenists. My dentist in Canada hired only male hygenists, why? Because they rarely got pregnant. He'd have a great hygenist, who was female of course, then they'd take a year off because they had a baby, then they'd want to work 3 day weeks for the next year, take another year off for a baby, and continue with 3 day weeks until their children were out of elementary school. He thought this was a huge hassle, because he'd have to hire four or five part time hygenists instead of two full time.
Your dentist hates women.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #59
Cj_leonine
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Age?:

Sex?:
Male.

Desired Career Path? (If you don't know, just put one you most think):
Game Dev.

Hypothetically, if you were to persue a career in medicine, would you rather study to become a doctor or a nurse?:
...Nurse

Why did you choose the answer you did?:
Seems easier

Why didn't you choose the other answer?:
Seemed harder

Would you ever seriously consider a career in medicine, if money was not an issue?:
No

Best FC Before Avmiss Fix: . Be Princess . Hellbeat . End Night
Cj_leonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #60
angel-d
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to angel-d

It’s pretty much known that men tend to be doctors and women tend to be nurses but I never really thought of the reasons until I was reading through this.

It is pretty obvious to see why that would be so in the past as doctors are the dominating role and nurses tend to be the carers for the patients.

However today that does not fully explain why there are still more male doctors and more female nurses. The possible reasons I came up with are:

Women are still the primary carers for any offspring and so would generally choose being a nurse over a doctor because of the work load.

Men prefer to be slightly detached from people they are caring for where as women prefer the hands on approach where they can care for the physical and mental well being of those in their charge.

I think that was all I came up with, of course they are only my initial ideas and are based on not much knowledge of what the actual jobs require (I watch a lot of medical drama's, stuff like ER).

Also to come to any real conclusion I think the topic needs to be looked at in greater detail, there is a big difference between a GP and a Doctor working in the trauma ward and the same goes for nurses working in the same areas. You might find that once each profession is broken down into smaller, more specific segments, there is less of a gender divide in some areas. At least the reasons for the divide in each segment may vary from each other.
I guess it just depends how deep you want to look into the subject.