Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
QueenAshy
Banned

Default Major update: I have joined a driver’s ed course, not sure where to go from here

So, my grandma was kind enough to actually give me the money for an adult driver’s ed course.

I always wanted to learn how to drive, but thanks to my mom being overprotective, I never actually could do that… now tho, I can finally learn how to do it. I’m really excited, but also really nervous at the same time.

I searched and searched for a physical class, but the only reputable ones I could find were online courses. Eventually I was just like “fuck it, I can’t take Uber forever” and I decided to just go with an online course. I’m worried it won’t be comprehensive enough tho. I took achieve (online credit recovery at my old high school) and most of them barely taught me anything compared to in person classes.

I’m really worried that this course won’t teach me much, and it will just be like another shitty online school thing that ends up not sticking in my memory or is loaded with a lot of filler… even if it is a good course, there’s no guarantee that I’ll pass. I’ve never touched a motor vehicle in my life, the closest I’ve ever come is K1 speed.

I don’t know how a “6 hour course” is gonna teach me all that I know. I mean, yeah, I still have to do 50 hours of daytime and nighttime driving, but what’ll stop me from crashing and dying the moment I hop into a car after getting my permit?

I’m really worried, but at the same time, im determined. I really want a job, and I think I found a trans friendly employer, I can’t let this opportunity pass me up.

Does anyone have advice for my situation? I’m sure someone has been in the same boat I am…

Last edited by QueenAshy; 09-26-2018 at 10:28 PM..
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Major update: I have joined a driver’s ed course, not sure where to go from here

Ok so the class is really easy and the worst part is waiting out the timer (you have to sit there for the allotted time no matter how right you get the answers). You can also tab browse/look at your phone for answers so you will always pass.

If you are scared of not retaining the info, most of it is either stuff you know already (Don't drink and drive!) or stats that don't help. You will cover the laws of the road and need to know them but most of that will be learned from your driving buddy who has to legally be with you while you do your 50 hours. For now, just soak as much info as you can so it isn't all new when you get in the driver's seat.

Things click pretty easily, so I've no doubt you can do it. Just don't over think it and remember: Respect the road, but never fear the road.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
QueenAshy
Banned

Default Re: Major update: I have joined a driver’s ed course, not sure where to go from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Ok so the class is really easy and the worst part is waiting out the timer (you have to sit there for the allotted time no matter how right you get the answers). You can also tab browse/look at your phone for answers so you will always pass.

If you are scared of not retaining the info, most of it is either stuff you know already (Don't drink and drive!) or stats that don't help. You will cover the laws of the road and need to know them but most of that will be learned from your driving buddy who has to legally be with you while you do your 50 hours. For now, just soak as much info as you can so it isn't all new when you get in the driver's seat.

Things click pretty easily, so I've no doubt you can do it. Just don't over think it and remember: Respect the road, but never fear the road.
All of that makes perfect sense actually. Maybe I’m just stressing a bit too much.

There’s only one more question I have to ask: How do you learn how to operate the more complex functions of a car? Like, there’s a million different things on the wheel alone, and the location for activating turn signals and stuff isn’t clearly marked. Is it just something you pick up with practice? Muscle memory?

Whenever I look into a car, it feels like I’m looking at a block of html code. Yeah, I know the basics of how it works and the structure, but I don’t know the more complicated aspects of it.

Edit: here’s a better Analogy.

Me looking at a car and trying to understand how everything works is like a 6 digit osu!mania player looking at a 7* chart and trying to figure out how to read it

Last edited by QueenAshy; 09-26-2018 at 11:12 PM..
QueenAshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
There’s only one more question I have to ask: How do you learn how to operate the more complex functions of a car? Like, there’s a million different things on the wheel alone, and the location for activating turn signals and stuff isn’t clearly marked. Is it just something you pick up with practice? Muscle memory?
Turn signals are almost always in the same spot of the steering wheel and are used/operated in the same way. I say almost because there is likely a specific model of car somewhere that is funky about it, but every vehicle I have driven has had it in the same spot and used the same way. For an idea, I have driven various vehicles such as a mid 70s Ford LTD, a '95 Jeep, various pickup trucks, a couple of semi trailer trucks (manual transmission), a farm grade dry fertilizer spreader, and the '07 Toyota Camry I currently drive.

I was lucky in that I grew up in rural Nebraska, so I was able to learn how to drive on dirt roads when I was 13-14. You don't necessarily have the luxury of that with where you currently live. All I can really say is pay attention to the drivers ed course enough to get you through it, but a lot of your learning how to drive just comes from practice behind the wheel. It eventually becomes muscle memory.

Last edited by tosh; 09-26-2018 at 11:27 PM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
123kappa3
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

You know the best way to figure out how to drive is hands on in my opinion. If you have someone who is willing to let you try driving then that may be the best way to learn. From my experience once I got behind the wheel and tried it out it become so much easier. I do have some issues with construction and some weird intersections around where I live but, other then that its pretty common sense.

The written tests are real easy I think. The only thing I did bad on my driving test was parallel parking. I forgot to turn the signal on.

But again the best way to learn how to drive in my opinion is just try and have someone help you but, dont let them tell you everything just when you do stupid stuff like turning into one way traffic that is no bueno. Dont be scared there are tons of terrible drivers that are probably 100 times worse then you and they have licenses.

I just noticed it says you live in san antonio. I live in dallas fort worth and the traffic as well as the drivers here made me hate driving so much. if san antonio is anything like where i live then hope you have a lot of patience cause the drivers here are idiots.

Last edited by 123kappa3; 09-26-2018 at 11:53 PM..
123kappa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 AM   #6
the sun fan
FFR Player

find an isolated area. I know you're in a big city so drive to West Texas where there ain't shit and ain't nobody if you have to. Its well worth it as a starting block.

Don't give a shit how fast you're going so long as you're not going 2x above the speed limit since you're probably not starting out on the highway.

Highways aren't scary. I know you're going fast, and you really ought to start out not on a highway because you want to at least have the foundation before you go as fast as you will need to on a highway, but don't be intimidated once you get there. They aren't anything if you can drive elsewhere.

Learn how to park. Its basically as important as driving. Learn how to park well. Again, you live in a city, and in cities, parking is fucking atrocious. Do three point turns.

You will always be asked which way to turn the wheels when you're parked on a hill in an exam. Learn it.

Always put on your parking brake, even when you're not on a hill. You won't forget to put it on when you park on a hill.

Most importantly, and this is the advice you ought to retain from this if you get nothing else, chill. You got this. Everyone can drive. Its scary at first. It'll be fine though, everyone starts out small. No one knows how to drive in the beginning, regardless of how much GTA they've played or anything.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
WTFBrandon
Shout out to Hades
FFR Veteran

Driving is easy.
Your classes should be either 1 or 2 either online or in a class room learning the basics then the rest actually driving. Having classes like this lowers your insurance rates by a lot. When they bring up your file to see for insurance purposes they will either automatically have the information on file or you will get something from the class to submit to them when you pass.
There are drivers hand books that should be easy enough to find at your local DMZ or they would at least be able to point you in the right direction for a first time learner. Even then it's the instructors job to make sure you pass.
I'm from Canada so I don't know how the whole first year learning works but it should be similar if not identical.

driving-tests.org

Seems to be a good place for some online testing to help prepare for the written test if you haven't completed it already. Even then it's good for review if you're feeling nervous.

Most importantly is the practice. Everything is going to feel extremely awkward for the first bit. Kinda like FFR actually. Overtime it gets as easy as breathing and it'll become second nature.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:16 AM   #8
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Exclamation Re: Major update: I have joined a driver’s ed course, not sure where to go from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
There is probably nothing on that wheel you need to drive.

On the left is the turn signal and the switch for the lights. The exact location differs from model but you'll find it easily enough. Just remember whenever you get into a new car do not drive until you have located the important shit.

Actually, I can give a rundown. This makes it seem way way way more complicated then it is, and once you see it you will always know where it is. So don't fret.

The important shit would be (From left to right in your car)
  1. The turn signals and headlights, always on the left of the wheel.
  2. The fucking Wheel. If you can't find this call an uber now.
  3. Windshield wipers are on the right of the wheel.
  4. The Emergency Break is now normally on the down right by your seat but in some older model cars it could be down to the left by the gas pedal. This is the one thing that might be tricky to find without a little help on your first drive. Make sure you do find it though before heading off.
  5. The gearshift, always on the right. In trucks it's more or less attached to the Wheel; in cars it's normally down between the seats. If driving an automatic you basically have to worry about Park ( P ) Drive ( D ) and Reverse ( R ). The low/gear 2/ N shit can wait.
    Your gearshift may have a button or level to press, if so make sure you hold it down while changing gears.

6. Down below are the pedals for gas and brake. If driving a shift stick, please sale it to a scrapyard and by an automatic like a sensible human being. Or at least note that there's also a Clutch that is used when shifting. I am 99% sure your vehicle does not have one so unless told otherwise by your driving buddy do not worry about the clutch.
  7. The CD player is chest high between the seats. Remember, always set your jams before you drive!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd that's it. Are there radio buttons on the wheel? fuck it. Are there a bunch of switches on your dash? fuck them too. A bunch of lights flash around your wheel and you don't know what they mean? If your driver buddy doesn't freak out you don't either. Literally nothing else in that car is important for a beginner driver---you wouldn't have near half of it if you where driving a classic car anyway.

----------------

Some functions are marked with symbols. Please consort this handy guide:

Note that there is an arrow under your Gas Symbol (not shown for whatever reason, but you'll notice it) and it will point to where your gas tank is located. Thank me later.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 09-27-2018 at 01:18 AM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #9
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Remember, if you encounter a muddy patch on the road

Back up and hit the gas
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #10
Antori
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm having driving ed course aswell, here's what i experienced:
everything might seem interesting at first but after the first week I got bored of both driving and memorising the courses... it's all repetitive and simple with only a hand few key numbers and statistics to keep an eye out for. the driving patterns go through the same exact line, turn here, go in reverse, get in the garage, and park to the side there... repeat it 30 or so times for good measure and that's about it for the first month.

I passed the question and answer part and got a 34/40 (32/34 and above is passing grade here) and it's really really simple, i wouldn't be surprised if any elementary kid with basic logic would get a 40/40 i just didn't bother too much to revise or anything outside of class. don't even stress about that part it's more annoying having to spend the hours dedicated for it if I'm being honest.

Once the deadline to the driving exam started they changed our training area from a nearby parking lot to the place we'll pace the exam at, it was weird having all the measurements changed and training a jam packed place full of other cars all cramming to get their turns but i got used to it in no time also they finally decided to explain to us what the buttons inside the car do, the inside of the hood, items that are necessary to have on you when driving and stuff like that cause we'll be asked about it... fast forwards a week we're in the exam.

They started off by asking about the buttons and such that they teached us about last week, then we took off to the repetitive reverse -> garage -> park thingy and finally we had to go on a tour on the city. At least that's what was planned, i ended up messing up some measurements and hit a cone, and my Retry was delayed two weeks.

TLDR; driving ed course is boring. passed half of the exam and failed the second half. gonna retry it in like 4 days from when this was posted.

Antori is offline   Reply With Quote