Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games

Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl
Default IMHO: DS is the best console of all time.

Sorry, guys, but it's true. It's surpassed the Super Nintendo in my eyes, and that's saying something because that's what I grew up with and what got me locked into gaming forever.

Now, I should clarify that I consider PC gaming to be the way to go for 99% of all games, but it's not a "console" so it doesn't count.

The DS is everything I could want in a gaming device. It's got the right control scheme (great D-pad on the Light and DSi, perfect amount of buttons, and a touch screen for when you need tricky stuff.) It's graphical depths have been maximized, meaning game developers can focus on making stuff FUN rather than spending most of their development on making it look pretty. It's not to say there aren't games that look pretty (FFIV remake comes to mind), but the point is there's a limit and people who use the system don't mind.

That said, there's a dozen titles of old-school flavor that you just can't find anywhere else. It's about the only system with genuinely well-crafted platformers, from The New Super Mario Bros. to the eccentric Henry Hatsworth (look that game up, it's ****ing amazing.), to some great RPGs (some remade classics as well as lots of awesome Atlus titles, more than I can even think to list) to the best kinds of video games ever: puzzle games. I don't think I even need to comment on that because I mean. Puzzle games.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

Default Re: IMHO: DS is the best console of all time.

Great console? Yes.
Incredibly well crafted? Yes
Great game selection both new and old? Yes.

One particular downside that I've experienced? The DS itself, very weak and fragile. The screen lost it's angles (the clicks that hold it up in place) very early on and makes it as a dust collector on my shelf.
-Fallen- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

oh god

please

these threads

die

****ing

die
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
TheNamesH
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Nintendo DS Sales: 100 million
Nintendo Wii Sales: 50.39 Million
PSP: 50 million
Xbox360 Sales: 30.20 million
PS3: 22.73 million

At the moment Nintendo is taking over the 7th generation video game world

First Place Beginner division
Phynx unofficial tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
Play with it, touch it, feel it and talk to me about it in the morning.

Cheers,

Synthlight
TheNamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Afrombean
FFR Player

Handhelds are not consoles. It is not fair to compare the likes of the DS to the likes of the Wii. It'd be like comparing an ipod to a surround sound stereo with dedicated DVD-A player. They're totally different things intended for totally different experiences.

PC is more of a console than handhelds are.

Anyway, I just want to say that I hate the touch screen for the fact that it makes developers feel the need to shoehorn gimmicks. When I heard they were doing a top-down 3-D rendered Zelda game for the DS I got excited and was really going to buy one for it. Then I learned that Link was controlled by drawing on the touch screen. That's stupid. Some games it can work with well, particularly puzzles and probably RPG, but just because it is there doesn't mean it has to be used. I have a similar problem with the motion sensing on the Wii. Just because the system CAN do it doesn't mean the game HAS to use it.
Afrombean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
ThreeLeafIvy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to ThreeLeafIvy

I'd agree that it's the better handheld (as opposed to the PSP), but yeah as Afrombean said handhelds=/=consoles.

PSP has better graphics but DS has the far, far better games lineup once you get past all the crap.

ThreeLeafIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Laharl
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrombean View Post
Handhelds are not consoles. It is not fair to compare the likes of the DS to the likes of the Wii. It'd be like comparing an ipod to a surround sound stereo with dedicated DVD-A player. They're totally different things intended for totally different experiences.

PC is more of a console than handhelds are.

Anyway, I just want to say that I hate the touch screen for the fact that it makes developers feel the need to shoehorn gimmicks. When I heard they were doing a top-down 3-D rendered Zelda game for the DS I got excited and was really going to buy one for it. Then I learned that Link was controlled by drawing on the touch screen. That's stupid. Some games it can work with well, particularly puzzles and probably RPG, but just because it is there doesn't mean it has to be used. I have a similar problem with the motion sensing on the Wii. Just because the system CAN do it doesn't mean the game HAS to use it.
I'll give you that the first generation of DS games relied on it as a gimmick too often, but the DS has been out long enough that game developers realize you shouldn't try to make, say, a platformer that requires twitch action entirely using the touch screen anymore. I can think of a dozen games where the touch screen compliments the normal SNES style controls very well. I'll even go grab my DS library for specific examples if you'd like.

That's a point of contention I have with Wii game developers. Do what they did for Punch-Out. Add Wiimote functionality, but don't force it down people's throats. Most the folk I know who really got into the game play it NES-style with the controller held sideways, and I know this for fact because I work in a video game store and the majority of people who come in and try it out ask me to turn off the nunchuck accessory (there's a button you have to push, the demo unit is all complicated to keep people from stealing stuff). Sales numbers for that game have been pretty significant for a Wii title (roughly 300k in it's first week, and it wasn't even released in Japan yet) so I think there's something to it.

And maybe "console" wasn't the right word. I should have said "platform". And yes, the PC is definitely a gaming platform, but I still don't count it for the purposes of discussing Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo or classic gaming platforms as it's kind of it's own entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fallen- View Post
Great console? Yes.
Incredibly well crafted? Yes
Great game selection both new and old? Yes.

One particular downside that I've experienced? The DS itself, very weak and fragile. The screen lost it's angles (the clicks that hold it up in place) very early on and makes it as a dust collector on my shelf.
I'll give you that for the first generation of DS consoles, but the DS Lites have held up very well and the new DSi's are exceptionally well made.

Last edited by Laharl; 06-29-2009 at 04:41 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Every game that I got for the ds was so disappointing. They were all stupid because they tried to utilize the touch screen and make that the main aspect of the game. I don't want to run around and control characters by moving a styalis around on a screen. I stopped buying ds games because they are all so bad.

Same with the wii. It is not what I want in a video game.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
plasmix
FFR Player

I didn't enjoy New Super Mario Bros. In fact I can't really think of any DS games that compare to the SNES's best.
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Metal Slug 7
Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmix View Post
I didn't enjoy New Super Mario Bros. In fact I can't really think of any DS games that compare to the SNES's best.
This.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
Laharl
FFR Player

If you guys haven't played Henry Hatsworth yet,

THAN YOU FAIL YOUR OWN VIDEO GAMER SOUL.

That is all I have to say about "lack of good titles on the DS."

Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Every game that I got for the ds was so disappointing. They were all stupid because they tried to utilize the touch screen and make that the main aspect of the game. I don't want to run around and control characters by moving a styalis around on a screen. I stopped buying ds games because they are all so bad.

Same with the wii. It is not what I want in a video game.
This.

You're Aja Leith of the Holograms! You're very exotic, intelligent and sophisticated.
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #14
-Fallen-
xqsite OG
FFR Veteran

The stylus pen gets pretty annoying quick but if you play in small doses it's not that bad. There's a bunch of games that are great but I still prefer playing SNES.
-Fallen- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Izzy
Snek

Imo the ds is good for games like wario ware, but not real games.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #16
Laharl
FFR Player

I'm glad how everyone is so biased and prejudiced that they aren't even listening to anything I've said.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Izzy
Snek

I'm not being biased. I am explaining my opinion based on my personal experience.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
StormKlowd61
Is Cold Kitten? T-Force?
FFR Veteran

While I don't like games that are mainly touch screen related, I can't help but agree that the DS is amazing. And just to contradict myself, 2 of my absolute favorite games are mainly touch screen based (Professor Layton, and The World Ends With You), but that's because it fits. Games that try to implement it where it should not belong aren't the ones that I enjoy.

Anyways, enough about my quirks, all of us DS owners should be very happy with the new game selection coming in the next year: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS), Professor Layton 2 (If you're puzzling needs have not been fulfilled), Golden Sun, Zelda: Spirit Tracks (I'm expecting much hate from this), just to name a few.
StormKlowd61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
Izzy
Snek

The ds can use more rpg's. I didn't know they were making a golden sun for DS. That will be aweosme. Unless I have to play using the touchscreen.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
Laharl
FFR Player

I just noticed where you are from, Izzy. One of my very best internet friends in the whole world just graduated from K-State last year. Go figure.

Anyway,

The DS actually has quite a good selection of RPGs. First, it's got a bunch of very well made remakes of classic Squeenix RPGs (bunch of Dragon Warriors, Final Fantasies, and now Chrono Trigger). It's not like Squeenix hasn't dumped a lot of time into sequels and what not, either, with FFXII Revenant Wings and Tactics Advance 2.

Then you've got the new Shin Megami Tensei that just got released.

You've got 3 Castlevania titles. (I know they are platformers as well, but they are still RPG like.)

Lunar Knights is an excellent RPG, as is The World Ends With You.

Don't forget Pokemans (you know you still own one.)

There are more, but those are definitely big ones I'd suggest to anyone. I'm enjoying Suikoden: Tierkris at the moment, so believe me, there are other ones. In fact, I'd have to say that the DS has more RPGs worth playing than any other platform at the current moment.

Seriously, what are you playing on your PS3? Disgaea 3 is just about it in terms of RPGs. The Hexbox has quite a few more games worth playing, but half of them are better for PC (sorry, guys, but Last Remnant is terrible on the 360 but subsequent patches for the PC one made it worthwhile) or are just genuine garbage.

The PSP actually has quite a few RPGs worth playing, now that I think about it. Oh well. My PSP is broken, sadly.