Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #241
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 169: And Their Refinement Of The Decline by Stars Of The Lid (Album Choice: Trogdor!!!)

Yup, I'm sure you can guess what kinda situation I'm in when I'm choosing to listen to this album. If you need a hint, I'm 17. Another hint, I'll be completely sober though many would recommend a stimulant. Maybe coffee.

There is a time and place for this kinda album.

I don't know if that time is now, but I guess this album is okay. Would be better on some strong painkillers. Also if it was a tad bit shorter.

Best Track: The Daughters of Quiet Minds
Rating: 6/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 05-19-2015 at 12:50 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #242
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

I don't even know why I recommended this album specifically, but going off of your previous scores for ambient albums I'm not surprised by rating at all. Also I agree this album is exactly one album too long.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #243
rayword45

Day 170: The Sound Of Madness by Shinedown (Album Choice: MsKitty)

I have no patience for this.

Best Track: Uhhh....
Rating: 3/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #244
rayword45

Day 171: Us and Them by Shinedown (Album Choice: MsKitty)

Nope.

Best Track: Nope.
Rating: 3/10

Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #245
rayword45

Day 172: ...And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness by Ólafur Arnalds

A very pretty, glassy album. The dude dropped his more electronic, breakbeat tendencies for post-rock and minimalism and it works considerably in his favor.

Sadly, there were a few dull moments, but the peaks of this album were peaks for sure.

Best Track: Hægt, kemur ljósið
Rating: 6.5/10

Old 05-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #246
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

can i still make recommendations
Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #247
rayword45

Yes

Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #248
rayword45

Day 173: The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest

Turns out I've never listened to this one. Huh. I'm actually surprised I haven't, I thought I would have. Strange... Anyways, someone recommended Midnight Marauders and I have to listen to this first, don't I?

Judging everything by pure subjective standards with no regard to era or context, this album is pretty damn good. Very cool, relaxed vibe, flows are silky-smooth and subject matter is pretty varied. There are a few shitty lines here and there but they get lost in the grand scheme of things. This one is probably a grower.

Best Track: Scenario
Rating: 8/10

Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #249
rayword45

Day 174: Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers (Album Choice: Xtreme2292)

Quoth totally not myself: "The idea that there are people who don't have a listing on the Sex Offender Registry that listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers is baffling to me"

Best Track: Well... I do have fond memories of playing Suck My Kiss on Guitar Hero III. However, I think that was really just 13 year old me glad that I could impress girls with a video game when I was on a cruise ship. 13 year old me was pathetic and thirsty, moreso than 17 year old me is pathetic and thirsty. I didn't even have my first goddamn kiss until I was 15 okay now I'm projecting like an asshole I should stop now. On that note, I saw Tame Impala and Beck live and I impressed a bunch of hippy college chicks with my formless shameless hippy sway dancing for the former and my complete knowledge of lyrics for the latter holy shit I'm a goddamn loser.
Rating: 2/10

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #250
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Sweet

The Elkcloner - The Elkcloner
Old 06-2-2015, 07:26 PM   #251
rayword45

Day 175: Quadrophenia by The Who (Album Choice: Olex K)

Well, this is certainly one of the more famous bands that I've never actually listened to (you can throw Led Zeppelin, Stone Roses and Talking Heads in there. Maybe replace the second one with Television.) My closest thing to any encounter with this band would either be the inclusion of My Generation in Polkas On 45 or Timmy from Home Movies. Not counting that shit, nada.

Hey guys, just read my review of Frances The Mute. All criticisms apply here and there despite being completely different music. The only difference is that these guys are a bit less wanky though no less self-indulgent, and subjectively better songwriters.

Best Track: I've Had Enough
Rating: 7/10

Old 06-3-2015, 07:37 AM   #252
rayword45

Day 176: Galactic Melt by Com Truise (Album Choice: Arkuski)

Look, I'm as much a nostalgia junkie as the next cretin, but I can only handle so much ironic reminiscing and campy synths before the whole "I'm retro like your VHS" mentality grates on me worse than Madonna's sexuality. Besides, the old cassette shtick has been done by Boards of Canada with less pretense of so-called "synthwave" movement for losers who long for the good old days of analog media.

Best Track: No cuts today
Rating: C-... I mean 4/10

Old 06-5-2015, 08:24 AM   #253
rayword45

Day 177: The Bones Of What You Believe by CHVRCHES (Album Choice: NinjaKIWI)

It's been long enough since I've listened to any synthpop to the point where I DON'T feel physically ill at the thought of listening to another sugarfest.

Uh, yeah, this is synthpop alright. The melodies are dreamy and pretty, and the female vocals are pleasing.

This is synthpop.

Best Track: You Caught The Light

Old 06-5-2015, 09:18 AM   #254
rayword45

Day 178: Back to Oakland by Tower of Power (Album Choice: FoJaR)

I think this is the first funk/soul album I'm reviewing, which is a genre where my knowledge is almost completely made up of Prince and radio hits. And also funk metal, but the last thing I want to listen to is rapey frat-boy music, so I'm gonna ignore any knowledge of that because I doubt this is gonna make me feel sleazy. Let's see how I like this.

Uh... I have no idea how to review this. I would fill this up with some filler, but I don't have any filler to write. Goddamnit.

I hope these guys aren't giant assholes like Prince. Yeah I really have no idea how to fill up this review. They're competent musicians and songwriters, that's for sure.
The production seems a little tinny and empty, though.

Best Track: Below Us, All The City Lights

Old 06-6-2015, 11:00 AM   #255
rayword45

Day 179: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space by Spiritualized

I was dead-ass tired for the majority of this album and I think it worked in its favor because I mostly loved it. However, I was wide awake for the last two tracks and Cop Shoot Cop is annoying self indulgence. Still less wanky than Wayne Coyne.

Best Track: I Think I'm In Love

Old 06-7-2015, 12:02 PM   #256
rayword45

Day 180: Cunning Stunts by The Cows

I've listened to Peacetika by these guys before. It was good though frontloaded.

Like Peacetika, this is good, I'd argue this one is slightly better due to more variety. Like Peacetika, it's a bit front-loaded. And like Peacetika, the stupidity gets a bit repetitive after a while. But still, recommended if you like noise rock.

Best Track: Heave Ho

Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #257
rayword45

Day 181: Damnation by Opeth (Album Choice: sonicman68)

So I'd have to listen to a smidgen less than 200 albums by this Sunday to make it to 365 by a years time. That mission is failed. Regardless, I'll push on, let's aim for the end of the summer, and failing that the end of 2015. Anyways, this is a prog rock album from a technical death metal band. I'm not optimistic, but I've been wrong before.

To me this just sounds like Candlemass-lite. Not a bad thing, I love Candlemass. I expected to sigh and groan at the album (I mean come on, death metal attempts melodic prog rock? That sounds like disaster!), but my preconceptions were thankfully wrong. This is a decent album. Not the greatest album ever, and in fact I'll probably never listen to it again, but it's not bad at all.

Best Track: Windowpaine

Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #258
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Is that the first time you've listened to Opeth? There's a reason that album sounds like it does. At that time in their career they had released 5 albums of progressive death metal and Mikael Åkerfeldt wanted to move the band away from metal. So they recorded two albums at the same time: Deliverance (to appease the fans) and Damnation (to test the waters so to speak). Damnation was the light stuff whereas Deliverance was the heaviest stuff they had ever written.

After that, they continued mixing more progressive elements into the metal until, at this point in time, completely abandoning metal. It wasn't so much that they were 'attempting' a different genre at the time as much as they were 'purposefully trying to shift their entire sound in that direction and didn't want to alienate all their fans'. It still ended up pissing off a lot of fans but Åkerfeldt explained his reasons why (when asked if he would make music like they did at the start of their career):

"It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going."

Last edited by TheRapingDragon; 06-11-2015 at 11:26 AM..
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #259
rayword45

Day 182: Solace by Earl Sweatshirt

Because of the fact that I have practically zero time, I decided I'd just review the top EP of 2015 according to RateYourMusic.

Unfortunately I can't find the top EP in my very quick shallow search so the second best EP will have to do for now. Metá Metá, you're next on my list.

This is pretty good stuff. Murky beats, emotional lyrics, and creativity everywhere. Best of all, it's not horribly marred with Odd Future-isms or Tyler, The Creator. I'm mad at myself for not listening to this 2 months ago. If his next album is loaded with shit like this it'll be a near-masterpiece.

Best Track: what
Rating: 9/10

Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #260
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

For how many reviews you do I'm surprised it still has not that many posts by others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote