Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
jacobvl39
Difficulty Consultant
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Improving reading ability

I've been playing way more FFR than is healthy and I'm excited to be making progress, but it seems my physical skills have gotten far ahead of my reading ability. In a given difficulty range, there are some charts I can read and do okay on and others I can't make heads or tails of and have to mash randomly (Makiba, for example). Since there's so little correlation between my score on a chart and its rating, I think I have a skill imbalance.

Is it normal for reading to develop more slowly, or are there two "types" of players, those with an inherent ability to read dense charts and those who are more physically/technically focused? If anyone was in my position, how long did it take you to learn to read dense charts and what was most helpful?
jacobvl39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: Improving reading ability

You might want to try out practicing some on other VSRGs. FFR does not have very dense charts in general compared to some other games.

Ive had times where I felt like my physical ability is limited by my reading and other times where I dont feel like Im fast enough to keep up with what I can read; so Id say it probably shifts around for some people.
CrashTheBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
alloyus
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I know what you mean idk how long it has taken me to get out of times like that, but by playing stuff I can "mostly" do, getting better has come over time. Usually now I'll look at things that I can get 50's on or teens/20's on (raw goods) and practice them to see if I can improve on them, sorta just benchmarks that I look at. Usually if I'm getting above 50's it doesn't exactly feel worth my time because I feel inadequate.
alloyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:35 PM   #4
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheBoard View Post
You might want to try out practicing some on other VSRGs. FFR does not have very dense charts in general compared to some other games.
I second this. Even if you don't want to play on other games (like osumania/etterna) since they might mess up your timing on FFR, there are still other engines you can use like FFRMania that will have much more dense files compared to FFR. When I was grinding hard to improve, I was mostly training on FFRMania.

Edit: also, as a player whose reading abilities are pretty lacking compared to other D7's, I would say practice shorter files that your fingers can keep up with but your eyes can't quite do yet. What helped for me was focusing on increasing my reading speed up for one side (i.e my 2 left fingers) then the other, before putting both together. That really helped me increase reading speed and stamina pretty quickly. Took about 2 months to go from D3 to high D6 going back and forth between increasing the two sides, then my reading speed finally caught up to my fingers lol

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal

Last edited by PhantomPuppy; 12-14-2021 at 11:41 PM..
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:03 AM   #5
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Makiba is a chart with notes that aren't sync equally so, it requires a higher level of reading than playing a different chart of the same speed with equally spaced notes.

I usually move up my speedmod to -learn- how to hit notes and get a feel for patterns that I am not sure how to hit.

I lower my speedmod when I can't process all the information in time before it reaches the receptors.

When I'm not trying to AAA songs, I try to slowly up my speedmod in small increments to practice reading faster visually.

You have to build your own comfort zone because the faster you can read fast comfortably, the more room you will have to hit complex patterns fast.

ps: You can also try to hit keys harder in the more difficult parts to optimize accuracy and hit keys more lightly in easier parts to conserve stamina.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 12-15-2021 at 01:05 AM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
Sanjixcon
Banned

Yeah etterna/ffrmania will help a lot with reading the denser stuff and it gets you used to dumps. Also, play around with your scroll speed, receptor spacing, note scale, screen cut and noteskins until you find something that looks/feels good and then stick with it.

Personally, It's easier for me to read using a slow scroll speed with a high screen cut but most people play better with the fast scroll and long note field (no screen cut).

Last edited by Sanjixcon; 12-16-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Sanjixcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
jacobvl39
Difficulty Consultant

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried Etterna yesterday and I think my brain broke. I went with the "intermediate" pack and most of the files seemed unplayable. Today I can't play FFR either, I'm getting twice as many raw goods on files I was playing well a few days ago and can't comprehend simple rhythms. Maybe I need a break from rhythm games... we'll see how I feel in a few days.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvl39 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried Etterna yesterday and I think my brain broke. I went with the "intermediate" pack and most of the files seemed unplayable. Today I can't play FFR either, I'm getting twice as many raw goods on files I was playing well a few days ago and can't comprehend simple rhythms. Maybe I need a break from rhythm games... we'll see how I feel in a few days.
imo taking a break to get better isn't a good idea. Practice make perfect, just keep playing and it will come naturally, eventually.

edit for clarity: taking *long* breaks
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 02-10-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
jacobvl39
Difficulty Consultant

So I can actually read it now. Accuracy is still terrible but that can always be improved.
It's a strange feeling, it's like my brain re-wired itself to comprehend these patterns when just last month I thought it was impossible. All I did was play the game consistently. I must still have a bit of neuroplasticity left...
Old 02-7-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
DjNutsKing
FFR Player

play my file;s
DjNutsKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2022, 12:54 PM   #11
Lights
owo
Head of Events Team
Event StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapta View Post
imo taking a break to get better isn't a good idea. Practice make perfect, just keep playing and it will come naturally, eventually.
I partially disagree with this notion. Practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect. If youre practicing with poor technique, you'll only develop poor muscle memory and dig a metaphorical hole for yourself to climb out of. occasional breaks to give yourself fresh eyes and hands can go a long way for allowing certain patterns to "click" where they wouldnt have before.

I'd heavily advocate taking a week or so off once in a while to allow for this process to happen. A good majority of my best sessions came after a week+ break
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2022, 01:21 PM   #12
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I partially disagree with this notion. Practice doesn't make perfect- perfect practice makes perfect. If youre practicing with poor technique, you'll only develop poor muscle memory and dig a metaphorical hole for yourself to climb out of. occasional breaks to give yourself fresh eyes and hands can go a long way for allowing certain patterns to "click" where they wouldnt have before.

I'd heavily advocate taking a week or so off once in a while to allow for this process to happen. A good majority of my best sessions came after a week+ break
I second this. Hell, my biggest skill leap was right after I hit a wall in improving, so I took like a couple months off. Came back with a fresh mindset and grinded out much better as a result.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2022, 04:00 PM   #13
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPuppy View Post
I second this. Hell, my biggest skill leap was right after I hit a wall in improving, so I took like a couple months off. Came back with a fresh mindset and grinded out much better as a result.
My caveat would be don't take too long.

Equally I would also contribute that playing files when really frustrated probably isn't gonna make you do better either.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2022, 10:23 PM   #14
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

I actually have a huge writeup on this subject and have done a lot of research into it. I can link it somewhere if someone is interested.

The TL;DR is:

You should take lots of small breaks when practicing - IE, play a file through to its finish, take a 2-4 minute break. Don't spam retry.

Taking breaks is actually extremely vital to how our brains learn and process information. Taking relatively frequent breaks is good. - not just short term breaks when you're playing, but taking a week off every now and again will help you progress.

The human mind has a tendency to filter out background information - IE things that are repeated often - and your brain can get clogged up trying to process backlog.

Think of it like working out. You actually build muscle when you're taking breaks, not when you're lifting the weights.

Variety is another huge factor when it comes to learning.

In short:

Take plenty of breaks, they are way more likely to help you than hurt you
Try to spice up your gameplay, variety is very good

Also push yourself a lot. FFR's ranking system is extremely good at measuring certain skillsets but it sucks for encouraging people to actually improve. Going for AAA's is not how you challenge and push yourself.

Last edited by CrashTheBoard; 02-9-2022 at 10:26 PM..
Old 02-9-2022, 10:38 PM   #15
Novelties
Fight for what you want!

Just play LMAO
Novelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2022, 10:39 PM   #16
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

bad advice tbh
Old 02-9-2022, 10:54 PM   #17
Novelties
Fight for what you want!

I mean... I just played a lot without breaks and got top 100 in less than 3 months, this game doesnt need knowledge just skill, and you get skill by playing a lot
Old 02-9-2022, 11:14 PM   #18
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

tbf novelties is a beast
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2022, 11:16 PM   #19
CrashTheBoard
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Just because what you did ended up being successful for you does not mean it's the best way to approach the game

It's very likely you have good habits without even realizing what you are doing correctly.

The idea that you can't do anything to help improve your progression is in a vacuum just silly. There's a lot of research and science that's gone into figuring out how the human mind learns and you can absolutely take those concepts and apply them to VSRGs. Telling people just to play the game because it worked for you without understanding why it worked is a good way to misinform people and stunt their progress

Play more is and always will be terrible advice. Yes, you need to play the game to improve. There are no get-rich-quick tips to instantly becoming a better player. No, playing more is not the only way to speed up your progression; and in fact in some situations it can even damage your progress
Old 02-9-2022, 11:28 PM   #20
Novelties
Fight for what you want!

Well, i'll be practicing while you take your breaks, see you on the leaderboards