Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #21
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: Best Operating System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
You can't objectify an opinion or pick one that is broad enough to cover all intended uses.

This isn't worth discussing.
This is probably the best option in this thread. Honestly it's not so much about the tools you use, rather than how you use them. Compatibility also a big deal, and probably the only reason I have a Windows install.

The reason most people love Linux, is because it's an open environment where you're not restricted by pretty much anything. The other main reason is because it's a UNIX like OS, which Mac's OS X also is so it doesn't have anything on it there.

EDIT: With regards to people claiming Adobe products run better on OS X, I'd completely agree. They run smoother and generally just work faster. There's probably a pile of factors that contribute to this, such as Adobe being able to optimize their products (due to the far smaller range of hardware Apple products are sold as), and also things such as the difference between the systems really work at the core. IMO OS X, knowing it's UNIX based, is pretty nice.

Last edited by fido123; 02-11-2013 at 11:06 PM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
d4u7211
Aficionado of Awk
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to d4u7211

IMO really all depends. I personally don't like Macs because the technology is limited in the program/gaming market, but it does have its perks, even if it is ultra restrictive.

I so far have been happy with Windows 7. Don't really like Windows 8, but I can't say for any specific reason besides metro. honestly, I'd need to use it more to figure out what I really think of it

I like Kubuntu's personalization features A LOT. But distro's like Lubuntu are really neat because you can start from near scratch and just work your way up (BTW HINT HINT I'm using Lubuntu on my desktop (dualboot Win7) to play ffr, and I am getting no lag at all)

d4u7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
James May
FFR Player

Man, Windows 98 forever

James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #24
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

I can't go into this without some bias because I'm kind of a Windows fanboy. However, I'm pretty displeased with Windows 8, which is pretty significant because I liked Vista.

I have only a little bit of experience with Linux distros, namely Android 4.x and a little bit of Ubuntu. I like them, but it feels like I have more capability when I'm using Windows.

The only Apple OS I've used is OS X Tiger, which was a complete pain in the ass. I'm sure OS X has come a long way since then, but I haven't used any other version so I can't say for sure.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

I am no fanboy but I have been using windows as far back as I can remember and I never really had any serious issues except maybe a BSOD or 2.

I still prefer 95-98 and XP to later versions though.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

I've been using Windows my whole life. They seem to start sucking in certain ways if you upgrade though. Windows 2000 was pretty nice. Every time I use a Mac I don't find too much to complain about though.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Snuwfer
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Snuwfer

OS X is obviously the best operating system.
Snuwfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

This thread just seems like flamebait. Yet no flamewar erupting? I'm impressed!

As others have said, it depends entirely on what you are doing and what your purposes are.
If you can afford it, there is benefit in having machines of each type, just depending what you want to do with them.

Best Linux distro? Again, it depends entirely what your purposes are. There isn't one "right" answer and what's "right" for one person is completely "wrong" for another.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
ELRayford
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Last edited by ELRayford; 02-12-2013 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: someone had to
ELRayford is offline   Reply With Quote