Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #101
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
the fact that words can incite violence reflects negatively on our culture but not on those who are speaking
Don't you think it depends on what they say? Why do we have a word for -inciting- violence if there's no difference between it and any other speech that happens to have the consequence of a listener deciding to do violence based on those words?

In order to incite, I'd argue you have to have intent. In the definitions for incitement you have words like 'encourage' 'urge' and 'persuade' not just "say anything regardless of content and have somebody hearing it decide to do violence.



Last edited by devonin; 09-23-2018 at 11:45 AM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #102
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Don't you think it depends on what they say? Why do we have a word for -inciting- violence if there's no difference between it and any other speech that happens to have the consequence of a listener deciding to do violence based on those words?
Unless what someone says actually affects the security of other people (i.e. a threat), then no not really.

I personally think the words are still deplorable, but I wouldn't want them to be illegal.

Quote:
In order to incite, I'd argue you have to have intent. In the definitions for incitement you have words like 'encourage' 'urge' and 'persuade' not just "say anything regardless of content and have somebody hearing it decide to do violence.
I've been thinking about some hypotheticals about who should receive blame for a violent act, and I still wouldn't blame someone who is encouraging, urging, or persuading unless they were assisting with the violent act.

In any case, I don't think this is applicable to Alex Jones anyway


Quote:
ok that clip made me laugh
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #103
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
dAnceguy117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: he/him
Age: 30
Posts: 10,109
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
I've been thinking about some hypotheticals about who should receive blame for a violent act, and I still wouldn't blame someone who is encouraging, urging, or persuading unless they were assisting with the violent act.
I don't think I agree with this on any level

Would you say that they are guiltless in that kind of scenario?
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #104
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I don't think I agree with this on any level

Would you say that they are guiltless in that kind of scenario?
In a legal sense, yes. I'd think they're gross but I wouldn't think they deserved punishment.

edit: i dont think i was being clear so
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Last edited by Funnygurl555; 09-23-2018 at 01:39 PM..
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #105
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
rayword45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My bed
Age: 23
Posts: 2,904
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
I've been thinking about some hypotheticals about who should receive blame for a violent act, and I still wouldn't blame someone who is encouraging, urging, or persuading unless they were assisting with the violent act.

In any case, I don't think this is applicable to Alex Jones anyway
It's hard for me to say if this is applicable to Alex Jones, but it is definitely applicable to Milo Yiannopodop (who is only relevant in this thread because of OP) and I say yes, that kind of speech (doxxing a trans woman and inciting violence against her for "lulz") should NOT be protected.

I'm Asian, if someone wants to say "all y'all Asians smell bad" or "lol Asians got teh small cocks" I could give less of a fuck, but when someone says "MURDER ALL ORIENTALS!" then I say de-platform, de-platform, de-platform.

Actually I just remembered the bullshit Jones pulled regarding Sandy Hook, so yeah, de-platform. I don't even blame him for the Pizzagate shooting, but I certainly have to blame him for inciting the harassment and threatening of grieving parents what the fuck
__________________
The above post has a 50% chance of being useless. Potentially. Maybe.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #106
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Unless what someone says actually affects the security of other people (i.e. a threat), then no not really.

I personally think the words are still deplorable, but I wouldn't want them to be illegal.
So do you believe it is impossible for somebody, using words, to convince another person to commit a violent act that they wouldn't have committed without hearing those words? Are all people who are incited to commit violence 100% absolutely -already going to be violent- no matter what anybody said?

Because if it possible for somebody, using words, to incite another person to violence who wouldn't have committed that violence without the words, I don't understand how you can argue that the person who said those words bears no responsibility for the violence that results. Especially when their -goal- in saying the words is to -incite violence-

Last edited by devonin; 09-23-2018 at 02:15 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #107
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
dAnceguy117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: he/him
Age: 30
Posts: 10,109
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
In a legal sense
Ohhhhhh I have no opinion then oops
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #108
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
It's hard for me to say if this is applicable to Alex Jones, but it is definitely applicable to Milo Yiannopodop (who is only relevant in this thread because of OP) and I say yes, that kind of speech (doxxing a trans woman and inciting violence against her for "lulz") should NOT be protected.
I'm never gonna get why Alfred likes Milo so much, but also yeah dont really care or know enough to comment on that stuff. That shit sounds bad, though.

Quote:
I'm Asian, if someone wants to say "all y'all Asians smell bad" or "lol Asians got teh small cocks" I could give less of a fuck, but when someone says "MURDER ALL ORIENTALS!" then I say de-platform, de-platform, de-platform.
I see langauge like that as an actual threat, so I agree too. That's a bit of an extreme case though, yeah?

Quote:
Actually I just remembered the bullshit Jones pulled regarding Sandy Hook, so yeah, de-platform. I don't even blame him for the Pizzagate shooting, but I certainly have to blame him for inciting the harassment and threatening of grieving parents what the fuck
So this is what I got from the CBS article about the lawsuit the families filed against him

"The lawsuits, filed late Monday, allege that Jones' insistence that the shooting was staged led others to make death threats against the victims' families."

Yeah, it's disgusting to do what Jones did, but all he did was be a conspiracy theorist. We should be blaming the people who issued the death threats. I don't get how it follows to issue death threats based on the information they received from Infowars. He didn't say to kill the families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
So do you believe it is impossible for somebody, using words, to convince another person to commit a violent act that they wouldn't have committed without hearing those words?
Yeah, it's possible. But the person commiting the violent act is cognizant of the law. They shouldn't be stupid and do the wrong thing.

Quote:
Are all people who are incited to commit violence 100% absolutely -already going to be violent- no matter what anybody said?
I wouldn't go that far.

Quote:
Because if it possible for somebody, using words, to incite another person to violence who wouldn't have committed that violence without the words, I don't understand how you can argue that the person who said those words bears no responsibility for the violence that results. Especially when their -goal- in saying the words is to -incite violence-
I think I already responded to this in the first thing I quoted from you

edit: i just realized im contradicting myself my brain's pooping

Quote:
encouraging, urging, or persuading unless they were assisting with the violent act.
There's a way that inciting violence is actually bad and illegal (see: what I said to rayword). I just think there's a difference between calling someone a bunch of bad words and actually having something to do with their death (e.g. by saying that this person needs to die and asking to kill the person)

So inciting violence is actually bad and it was wrong for me to say it wasn't. It doesn't always make someone deserving of blame, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)


Last edited by Funnygurl555; 09-23-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #109
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
SKG_Scintill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 3,730
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

my problem is more that specifically a corporation has the power to decide who can talk or not
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
.
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #110
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
my problem is more that specifically a corporation has the power to decide who can talk or not
Which corporation is this that has the power to decide whether you can talk?
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #111
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
SKG_Scintill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 3,730
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Lol PayPal pwned daddy jones lolol
Also the name of the thread
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
.
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #112
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
Also the name of the thread
How does PayPal prevent him from talking?
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #113
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
SKG_Scintill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 29
Posts: 3,730
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

that *is* what we are talking about right?
to stop alex jones from talking?
and we got there from that post?
I'm confused
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
.
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #114
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

yeah it was what we were talking about
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #115
melonpapes
FFR Player
 
melonpapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Confirmed: Sending supplies
Posts: 341
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

i think devonin means theyre only stopping him from receiving money via paypal and not literally stopping him from talking. though if he can't get money and pay his bills he can't really run a network. so idk what he means. well, unless he gets a real job and uses those funds to continue infowars as a passion project. loL!
__________________

Last edited by melonpapes; 09-23-2018 at 10:14 PM..
melonpapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #116
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
devonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 37
Posts: 10,098
Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

I mean the claim that he is being censored or stopped from saying whatever he wants by not being able to get money from people via a private service is absurd.

I don't get any money via paypal at all, and I can say all the same things he does.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 AM   #117
Aquellex
R'n rm zgyzhs!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
Aquellex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 23
Posts: 165
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

arch0wl's just been watching too many right-wing conspiracy theory vids lately
Aquellex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #118
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran
 
Funnygurl555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 2,243
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Right but it's not just PayPal guys
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
is funny eaman?
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #119
melonpapes
FFR Player
 
melonpapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Confirmed: Sending supplies
Posts: 341
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
Right but it's not just PayPal guys
yeah its only every major electronic/internet payment handler and the credit card companies used to make the majority of these electronic/internet payments but you can still write alex jones a western union money order or stuff a 20$ in an envelope and hope it makes its way to him

you see, taking away the money he uses to run his platform isn't literally sewing his mouth shut (even tho the next step is likely not allowing him to purchase a domain or server to run his site on regardless of who funds it but heyyyyy da frogman is done for guys!)
__________________
melonpapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #120
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator
 
mellonxcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Confirmed.
Age: 30
Posts: 1,707
Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

oh no he won't be able to scam people by selling fake supplements as easily without all these private companies infrastructures supporting him T_T guess he'll just have to use his genius brain to figure out a new way to scam
__________________
Follow my dog on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Riles_puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution