Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default I got a graphic design job...

So I'm designing a poster for my dads business conference (basically just showing off hiw business).

I'm getting paid so I want it to be able to do it good.

The company name is SiteLink: http://www.sitelinkinternational.com/

The theme is black and green.

"America's Toughest Lease Negotiator"
"Winning Lease Negotiations"

That's pretty much all I have to work with.

Oh and the dementions are 28.75in BY 84in ... So its pretty big for a photoshop image.

We are getting it printed at kinkos.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I can fill some of the space with? Any ideas for layouts? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. DarkShark I know this is your specialty!

(confirmation: I do not want YOU to make the poster, kinda reads that way)
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Mr. Dorbs
FFR Player

Default Re: I got a graphic design job...

Those are pretty lame catchphrases. Perhaps think of a more clever and elaborate one? The only reason I say that is because it seems like you're excited to tackle this project to your full potential, and I'd hate to see it overshadowed by the obscurity of a poorly-executed phrase.
Mr. Dorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Emithith
FFR Player

^^^
I agree, not to put down your dad's work, or anything, but those are pretty lame.. :\
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

For layouts specifically, you shouldn't use Photoshop. Use InDesign as it's a program made for creating layouts like this poster you're going to do.

Since this is going for printing, work in CMYK colour mode (this should already be obvious) and save your file as a PDF (Print). PDF (Interactive) is for web/computer display, etc.

For layouts such as this, you'll have to start learning how to use grids, to create hierarchy in the information you're trying to convey as well as create a visually appealing structure to the layout itself. Just simply slapping all your information wherever you feel like doesn't work for advertising and in the professional world in general. I'll throw these out here as an example of what I mean by grids (project from my Graphic Design program, lol):

Layout
Layout viewed with grid overlay

Although the example was used specifically as a magazine page layout, poster layouts still follow the exact same structure. The only catch is you have to be more creative as to what catches people's eye, so you really have to use the canvas/page wisely.

I've got 2 different takes on a movie poster I could show that also use the grid well if you're interested. They would be closer to what you're aiming for.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 07-27-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

keep it simple, don't clutter it

also, photoshop probably isn't the best program to make a big ass poster in, use InDesign

also, if you're going to use like graphic graphics (i.e. graphics like your avatar)...don't, those never print well

and everything Gundam said too

Last edited by makdaddy; 07-27-2011 at 03:02 PM..
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

You guys are so helpful :3
Old 07-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
gattsta
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Emphasize important words, pictures, phrases ect.

Something thats good for that, is a drop shadow. It gives images/text a sense of depth.
Sometimes when I am in a mad rush to shit and the toilet seat is up I do this motion where I am both putting the lid down and quickly sitting on said lid at the same time, but I have this nagging fear that at some point I am going to sit down wrong and somehow slam my nuts underneath the lid.

/phobia
gattsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Make sure to work in CMYK mode. I would probably do the whole thing in photoshop, but I don't know how good your computer is, if it can't handle those dimensions then yeah use something else.

Many times a client will give you a small slogan or something like that to work with, and then you have to design around it, and most of the time the client doesn't want to change their slogan, HOWEVER if the client is pretty lenient (dad) then you could also make suggestions. I try and adhere to one of the quotes in my sig.

"Listen to your client, take into consideration all of their input, weigh the options, study the details, know the target audience, and then, if necessary, ignore all of it and design what you think will work best."

If there's something about his idea that you think won't convey very well, then suggest something better. Though, this one doesn't seem too difficult to work with.

Seems like a small business, the slogans in the ad obviously indicate that he's trying to sell himself so I would include a good sized photo of your dad there, or if that's not cool with him, or it's geared more towards the company itself, then you should use a good image of a nice building (whatever type of building the company deals with: house, apt, commercial, etc). The website itself is light and hard-edged, so keep the design similar. Don't be afraid of whitespace, you don't need to fill in every last bit of it. Just make the most important things the biggest.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 AM   #9
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Make sure to work in CMYK mode. I would probably do the whole thing in photoshop, but I don't know how good your computer is, if it can't handle those dimensions then yeah use something else.

Many times a client will give you a small slogan or something like that to work with, and then you have to design around it, and most of the time the client doesn't want to change their slogan, HOWEVER if the client is pretty lenient (dad) then you could also make suggestions. I try and adhere to one of the quotes in my sig.

"Listen to your client, take into consideration all of their input, weigh the options, study the details, know the target audience, and then, if necessary, ignore all of it and design what you think will work best."

If there's something about his idea that you think won't convey very well, then suggest something better. Though, this one doesn't seem too difficult to work with.

Seems like a small business, the slogans in the ad obviously indicate that he's trying to sell himself so I would include a good sized photo of your dad there, or if that's not cool with him, or it's geared more towards the company itself, then you should use a good image of a nice building (whatever type of building the company deals with: house, apt, commercial, etc). The website itself is light and hard-edged, so keep the design similar. Don't be afraid of whitespace, you don't need to fill in every last bit of it. Just make the most important things the biggest.
Thanks for the advise.

I don't have InDesign, and I don't want to deal with being a complete "noob" at a program for an actual job.

My computer is amazing, so we don't have to worry about that, it has like 9 different studio equipment devises plugged into it and can run anything very smoothly.

What is CMYK mode? Usually I choose RGB
Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

CMYK- cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

It's used for printing, and since you will be printing your poster, use this as opposed to RGB.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Be aware that the image may change drastically if you make it in RBG and convert it to CYMK, so make it in a document with CYMK colours if you're going that route.

Work with those inches dimensions in 300dpi if doing it in photoshop. You amazing computer shouldn't slow down too much.

As for the design itself, make sure you establish a hierarchy of what you want to be seen first, second, 3rd, etc.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

As for CMYK mode, what Quigly said. It only gives you the color palette that a standard 4 color printer is able to produce, so you won't be able to use any neon colors like you can get in RGB.

Also, for maximum quality, save the whole PSD and take it down to kinkos, not a jpeg or tiff. They have photoshop on their computers so printing directly from a psd isn't a problem.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-2-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

i'd like to see what you come up with, whenever you get around to it!
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Derpity derp derp.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...nkPoster-1.jpg

FOR THE RECORD: I don't really like it (refer to the derps), but he does so whatever.

There will be some tweaks done tomorrow, and i'll post the final final project.

Last edited by midnghtraver; 08-4-2011 at 10:32 PM..
Old 08-4-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

siteline at the top is barely legible. also reading down to up is counter intuitive as **** man.
Old 08-4-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

The 3D shit makes everything illegible and unreadable. Text does NOT have to be fancy and full of effects to look good. Plain text is best, especially if you're doing a professional job such as this so for the love of god keep it simple.

The header you have to watch out for just how much of the letters you cut off. What you have right now makes the header also unreadable and when you actually go out and print it, it's going to end up being a jumbled mess and you'll be left with only ITELIN. I can almost guarantee you that it won't print well.

You're breaking some typography rules/conventions but I won't bother bitching at you for it since you didn't know about it in the first place.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 08-4-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-4-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
siteline at the top is barely legible. also reading down to up is counter intuitive as **** man.
It says sitelinK haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
The 3D shit makes everything illegible and unreadable. Text does NOT have to be fancy and full of effects to look good. Plain text is best, especially if you're doing a professional job such as this so for the love of god keep it simple.

The header you have to watch out for just how much of the letters you cut off. What you have right now makes the header also unreadable and when you actually go out and print it, it's going to end up being a jumbled mess and you'll be left with only ITELIN. I can almost guarantee you that it won't print well.

You're breaking some typography rules/conventions but I won't bother bitching at you for it since you didn't know about it in the first place.

You don't have to tell me twice. But honestly, i'm not really doing this one because I want to. The goal at the end of this one is to get paid. And everything on that poster is all his idea. And as it is right now he likes it...
Old 08-5-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

So you're willing to compromise gaining skill and being proud for your own work for laziness then.

way2go~
Old 08-5-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigly View Post
So you're willing to compromise gaining skill and being proud for your own work for laziness then.

way2go~
Not really what I said. My dad came to me. Hey son wanna make me a poster for a couple of bucks? So I can show it to a couple of people ONCE?

I was just looking to please him, and what your looking at is what he wants.
Old 08-5-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
ULTIMEGA
Torn to oblivion!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

3D is Bad-ass. Nuff sed.

ANYONE WHO'S SOMEONE IS EVERYONE
ULTIMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote