Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Angry Mid Song Glitch (spikes) Causing Timing To Go Out

This happens only sometimes with me, but during a long song and the video has a little spike and causes it to go slightly off sync (going from mostly amazing to mostly perfect) is there any way to fix this? I have read the thread about changing NVIDIA settings and DXDIAG settings none of these have helped and it is really annoying when you are obviously going for a AAA.

Running at 60FPS - Windows 10 Gaming laptop - nothing running is background. Any suggestions would majorly help, it only does this some days.

Cheers.
Moonlight_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Blackskull305
Sippin' tea in yo hood
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Mid Song Glitch (spikes) Causing Timing To Go Out

I notice the same thing, but it only happens when I am idly sitting in an MP room while playing.
Blackskull305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackskull305 View Post
I notice the same thing, but it only happens when I am idly sitting in an MP room while playing.
I'll try disconnect that, I didn't even realise it was connected I don't use it. Thanks for the tip
Old 03-4-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Alright seriously, FFR needs to fix the lag spikes! The reason I stopped playing 9 years ago was because of this. This one just puts the timing out. You can clearly see on the graph here that is glitched and went out. So annoying. And turning multiplayer off didn't fully fix it unfortunately

Old 03-4-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

60fps is weird for the game to run on. Obviously it's a switch in the handling of judgments between <60fps and >60fps, since the game handles judgment differently when the game is above 60fps when set from the options menu.

I suggest setting the framerate in the options either to 55fps, or to 120fps and see if you run into the same issue. This timing issue didn't exist 9 years ago, this is something entirely different.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
60fps is weird for the game to run on. Obviously it's a switch in the handling of judgments between <60fps and >60fps, since the game handles judgment differently when the game is above 60fps when set from the options menu.

I suggest setting the framerate in the options either to 55fps, or to 120fps and see if you run into the same issue. This timing issue didn't exist 9 years ago, this is something entirely different.
I will give it a go, I didn't mean the same issues 9 years ago I meant the spikes that used to make the actual arrows freeze whilst playing. Couldn't get around it. Yeah I am running on 60fps. I used 55 for a while. It only happens some days though?
Old 03-4-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight_X View Post
I will give it a go, I didn't mean the same issues 9 years ago I meant the spikes that used to make the actual arrows freeze whilst playing. Couldn't get around it. Yeah I am running on 60fps. I used 55 for a while. It only happens some days though?
If it still happens to switch between framerate judgments on 55fps (the left half of the graph you showed) or the framerate judgments on 120fps (the right half of the graph you showed when it 'glitched out') I am pretty sure that someone with a dev title would love to see a screenshot & replay of it.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The issue is that for some reason, framerates 60+ seemingly at random disallow the processing of multiple inputs at once, and ms timing is straight up ignored. Which is why it sometimes might not even be noticeable on files that aren't very jump intensive. I'm not quite sure why time and time again I keep seeing 55fps being hailed as the supreme frame fixer for FFR but when I first noticed this happening over a year ago, I just dropped the framerate by one to 59 and it hasn't happened since.

Here's two VBB scores I got just now, the first on 59fps and the second on 60fps.

Playing something incredibly jump/hand intensive shows how much of an issue this can be, but dropping under 60 fixes it instantaneously.

I used to have this happen mid-song all the time over a year ago where it would start fine and then turn to shit at some point randomly throughout the play, was incredibly frustrating until I determined the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno

Last edited by One Winged Angel; 03-4-2019 at 10:59 PM..
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
The issue is that for some reason, framerates 60+ seemingly at random disallow the processing of multiple inputs at once, and ms timing is straight up ignored. Which is why it sometimes might not even be noticeable on files that aren't very jump intensive. I'm not quite sure why time and time again I keep seeing 55fps being hailed as the supreme frame fixer for FFR but when I first noticed this happening over a year ago, I just dropped the framerate by one to 59 and it hasn't happened since.

Here's two VBB scores I got just now, the first on 59fps and the second on 60fps.

Playing something incredibly jump/hand intensive shows how much of an issue this can be, but dropping under 60 fixes it instantaneously.

I used to have this happen mid-song all the time over a year ago where it would start fine and then turn to shit at some point randomly throughout the play, was incredibly frustrating until I determined the cause.

Wow that top one is super accurate. I just tried mine on 59 and the arrows do not run smoothly, they like slow down and glitch when they are coming up. Also my chart on 60fps does not look like yours does on there, that's what mine looks like on 120FPS. Is there any other settings I should be aware of ? VSYNC etc. Anything important ?
Old 03-4-2019, 11:42 PM   #10
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I currently do not have VSYNC enabled on here, and I've had this issue occur on multiple machines where simply lowering the framerate by one alleviated the problem (and I don't believe VSYNC was enabled on those either)

I would tinker around with the fps and hopefully you'll find something acceptable, although it's quite strange with how it just occurs randomly. One thing I used to do before I thought to change the frame rate was hit empty quads while waiting for the arrows in a chart to show up. With the first few, I'd be able to see all the inputs in the receptors separately, but hitting more eventually forced some sort of cohesion by the start of the song for some reason? And then the rest of the run had a good chance of not being fucked with at any point. I just tried that again now and I'm not having any luck 'forcing' cohesion during 60fps loading time on the laptop I'm on atm, but it worked a large majority of the time on another computer, and it worked often enough to make me believe it wasn't just some silly superstitious bs that coincided with 'good' runs. Sounds incredibly stupid but then again so is this issue so...fingers crossed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2019, 12:17 AM   #11
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Wink Re: Mid Song Glitch (spikes) Causing Timing To Go Out

Quote:
I currently do not have VSYNC enabled on here, and I've had this issue occur on multiple machines where simply lowering the framerate by one alleviated the problem (and I don't believe VSYNC was enabled on those either)

I would tinker around with the fps and hopefully you'll find something acceptable, although it's quite strange with how it just occurs randomly. One thing I used to do before I thought to change the frame rate was hit empty quads while waiting for the arrows in a chart to show up. With the first few, I'd be able to see all the inputs in the receptors separately, but hitting more eventually forced some sort of cohesion by the start of the song for some reason? And then the rest of the run had a good chance of not being fucked with at any point. I just tried that again now and I'm not having any luck 'forcing' cohesion during 60fps loading time on the laptop I'm on atm, but it worked a large majority of the time on another computer, and it worked often enough to make me believe it wasn't just some silly superstitious bs that coincided with 'good' runs. Sounds incredibly stupid but then again so is this issue so...fingers crossed?
haha you are not wrong! Thank you for your input this helps a lot.
Old 03-5-2019, 02:14 AM   #12
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

I play with my framerate at 55 and its been happening to me for days now. Its so random too. Ill be able to play for a week straight with no issues then BAM unable to play.
Old 03-5-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
Moonlight_X
Hates Boo Flags
FFR Veteran

Quote:

Is your laptop monitor running on 59 hz or 60? Mine has not got an option for 59hz if so and I can’t find drivers for the actual screen for the Acer monitor. I have a second screen plugged in also.
Old 03-6-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Omg I didn't even realize better accuracy was possible! 59 FPS here we go! Thanks, thread! Maybe I'll actually play more often now.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Omg I didn't even realize better accuracy was possible! 59 FPS here we go! Thanks, thread! Maybe I'll actually play more often now.
Id try 55 before 59 lol. 59 is pretty wonky, 55 seems to work most of the time, at least for me its wayyyyyyy less choppy than 59.