Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #321
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21
Default Re: What's happening in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Ormix View Post
Should be good to go. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the forums.

Last edited by Vendetta21; 08-27-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Old 08-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #322
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I agree to make Manti able to accept keycards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #323
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
There are a few ways to do this. Most of them are somewhat simple in concept but just need people who care.

and he crushes it out the park oh my god it's a grand slaaaaaaaam

Quote:
The web is literally flooded with places to discuss shit and none of them are nearly as bizarre or restrictive.
I actually disagree with this though, there are a lot of forums more restrictive than FFR, especially when they are forums attached to video games. For instance, all Blizzard forums have a no-tolerance policy on politics and religion discussions, even totally objective discussions.

FFR forums are uncommon and possibly unique among 'official' videogame forums in that many users don't discuss or sometimes even play the game at all (guilty as fuc). The WoW forums have ~40 forums dedicated to various aspects of the game and literally 2 small off-topic forums. Meanwhile, FFR has 4 FFR-related forums and 16 off-topic forums.

Game forums typically exist almost entirely for the developers, to keep their eye on the pulse of the playerbase and generate interest and hype. They also want to keep an immaculate image going, so any discussion that smells like it might go south is dealt with immediately. They don't really care if they're encouraging intelligent discussion or creating a tight-knit community because that doesn't make the dolla or help the product.

Synth has let the forums wander pretty far outside the scope of FFR The Game and that's rad and I love it but it's not making him any money. I don't know how to monetize a close community and intelligent discussion. Maybe the SA model? I'd pay five dollars for an off-topic FFR forum account, no joke. Ten? .... Yeah, I think so. But I'm already part of the community, and a five dollar barrier to entry would be insurmountable to anyone new who hasn't yet seen the value of what goes down here.

i'm rambling so in conclusion please give manti access to tgb keycards
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #324
LeiN-
FFR Player

Ayy..
sry for nonsense
Old 09-7-2015, 11:09 AM   #325
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

So does anyone have any update on what's happening here? I'd like to remain positive in thinking that things are actually happening to try to improve this site but Synth hasn't been active (or at least logged in) since 23rd August. The last thing posted was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I have additional meetings being scheduled with different management groups here at FFR so that we can help make progress in parallel. Does everyone want me to stay transparent with these plans or would you rather we hold back until we have something significant?
As part of the request for transparency, I think a lot of people here would appreciate knowing when these meetings are being held and what comes from them with regards to progress and plans for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
FYI that hi19, Velocity, Zag a few others and myself are going to have a conversation [afternoon of 23rd August] over (most likely) skype. I am looking forward to it.
Did this happen? Did anything productive come from it?
Old 09-7-2015, 07:45 PM   #326
mrpreggers
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiN- View Post
Ayy..
sry for nonsense
luckily you can't get silenced for nonsense in #FFR
Old 09-7-2015, 08:04 PM   #327
MarcusHawkins
Constantly Improving!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusHawkins

I just bumped a thread I made months about how rigged the Secret Songs is...Zenith, Rapta, OWA, and one other person agrees that it should be changed to being how high your GT is, now how many credits you have.

My point is, there's always something else that adds to the weight on your shoulders as staff/admins, Changing the Secret Songs Genre system is just yet another problem that needs to be fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post

This man is three months too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Guess I'll take another Quality Pack please. I won't have Hawkins luck but I'm sure I'll have badluck7772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
what the fuck marcus lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
You should all thank MarcusHawkins btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRNGGin View Post
Marcus is probably going to be the main man to win this (You will always be my DDR brother for life, MarcusHawkins! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Kitten View Post
Best Newbie
1st: MarcusHawkins: 4

Up And Coming FFRer
2nd: MarcusHawkins: 3
Old 09-7-2015, 08:16 PM   #328
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't the secret songs be an easy fix once there is a good GT value for each of the songs? You're querying credits already, just change that to GT and change the value you're checking against? If the holdup on that is a good scale for GT vs credits, I'd be happy to have a look at it.
Old 09-7-2015, 08:19 PM   #329
MarcusHawkins
Constantly Improving!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't the secret songs be an easy fix once there is a good GT value for each of the songs? You're querying credits already, just change that to GT and change the value you're checking against? If the holdup on that is a good scale for GT vs credits, I'd be happy to have a look at it.
lol, don't ask me, I'm the guy who said that credits aren't the solution to secret songs! Go ahead and look at how much GT you would need for each song, so there's a good indication of what it would look like! ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post

This man is three months too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Guess I'll take another Quality Pack please. I won't have Hawkins luck but I'm sure I'll have badluck7772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
what the fuck marcus lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
You should all thank MarcusHawkins btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRNGGin View Post
Marcus is probably going to be the main man to win this (You will always be my DDR brother for life, MarcusHawkins! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Kitten View Post
Best Newbie
1st: MarcusHawkins: 4

Up And Coming FFRer
2nd: MarcusHawkins: 3
Old 09-8-2015, 10:38 AM   #330
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
I proposed the final credit secret unlock (150,000 credits currently) to be set at 5 Billion GT, and I'm sure it could be tweaked further but that was my first thought because it would encourage getting Veteran Status if someone doesn't have it already.

I would've originally said 10 Billion if I wasn't considering time consumption, because as it stands Secret Songs can easily be lost and unplayable until you get enough credits again, where any change from Credits to GT would always award the song and you cannot lose Grand Total unless you get score swiped.

Scaling would be something to be fine-tuned, though this overall change is pretty easy/beneficial to the community imo.

Last edited by _Zenith_; 09-8-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-8-2015, 10:56 AM   #331
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

a score wipe doesn't even wipe your GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 09-8-2015, 11:48 AM   #332
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
a score wipe doesn't even wipe your GT
I didn't know this, but thanks for clarification!

Still would mean once you get a "New" Secret Song you'll have it until fiffer or you die practically.

Old 09-8-2015, 01:24 PM   #333
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

So I've been thinking of ways to improve the site activity and attract newcomers, and here's what I've written down so far. These ideas aren’t necessarily original or mine, but this is just a suggestion.

How to get new members more attracted to FFR:
1. Bigger “play FFR” button on front page.
2. Some sort of FFR tutorial button next to the play ffr –button.
3. Task system (not original, but it works for new players):
- A system you can toggle off.
- It gives you missions to accomplish such as: get less than 50 goods in Alpha Helix. There would be a lot of different task paths, so hitting a wall in one doesn’t make the newcomer lose interest in the game. As a reward you get levels. 1-400 for example (and maybe credits?).
- A task could also be accomplished in a way similar to angry birds (3 stars to 5 stars depending on how well the task is accomplished. For example 50 goods or less in alpha helix would grant you 3 stars, 25 or less 4 stars and a SDG would be 5 stars).
- You could share the “task accomplished”-thing in facebook
- This task system window would a dropdown menu in the FFR engine
I know that we have skill tokens and tier point system, but tier system is basically for D2+ players and skill tokens don’t follow a path of progression, if you know what I mean.

Other ideas:
1. Songs list as a bigger button in the front page.
2. What I’ve seen the past years, the community cools down a lot after an OT ends. Maybe we could have more official tournaments each year? 2-3 tournaments a year would make miracles to site activity. One of the tournaments with new files, the others could be with old files to make things easier for staff. Maybe one tournament with only one division? Would be epic. X-rated tournaments with old files?
3. Ability to make internal song playlists of FFR songs in your profile, where you can also listen to them with a special music player? A couple of playlists would be able to be saved per profile.
4. Profile games? XO, chess? Some sort of profile activity boost would make the site more interesting.

I know that most of this stuff require a SHITLOAD of coding, but hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.
Old 09-8-2015, 01:32 PM   #334
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeZe View Post

2. What I’ve seen the past years, the community cools down a lot after an OT ends. Maybe we could have more official tournaments each year?

anything engine based pretty much revolve around there being a new engine getting put out, so "shitload" of coding is there, and that's up to the dev team. Potentially, I'm wondering if a weekly status update from all of the areas of the site would be good. The weekly batch update thread is A+, and if devs, events, etc. could contribute something to a consistent weekly front page post, that would i think help with transparancy issues. Devs could even make it into a blog style post, where someone writes about certain decisions that were made and why they were made etc. so that there's a good amount of trust relayed around between community and ffr backend

also, can't have official tournaments without files for the tournament. This has been talked about a lot, and it's pretty much up to the batch reformations that are currently occurring to hopefully boost all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 09-8-2015, 01:53 PM   #335
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
We had something like this around ~2009 : https://web.archive.org/web/20090304...evolution.com/
Old 09-8-2015, 02:05 PM   #336
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

I'd like to see a working EXP system for FFR. I think it would be helpful identify those who are more skilled/experienced with FFR as a whole for newer players to approach more skillful players for advice/help. It would be a good idea, but it would be a bit of work to properly code in a working EXP system for every user.

Just an idea~

Old 09-8-2015, 06:26 PM   #337
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Wow how did I miss this thread?

Read the entire thread nodding along.

Also, what resulted from the talk between Synth and the staff/hihi etc? I'm interested to know what came of it.

And lastly I've been thinking about hosting an event but I'm going out of town next week. When I get back, keep an eye on the events/tournaments tab!

Old 09-8-2015, 06:54 PM   #338
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

I agree with a large majority of this post. Responses inline

Quote:
So I've been thinking of ways to improve the site activity and attract newcomers, and here's what I've written down so far. These ideas aren’t necessarily original or mine, but this is just a suggestion.

How to get new members more attracted to FFR:
As has been mentioned, this used to be present. I think bringing back an introductory tool would be incredibly useful for those that are new to the site if it does not still exist. I was under the impression it did.

- It gives you missions to accomplish such as: get less than 50 goods in Alpha Helix. There would be a lot of different task paths, so hitting a wall in one doesn’t make the newcomer lose interest in the game. As a reward you get levels. 1-400 for example (and maybe credits?).
- A task could also be accomplished in a way similar to angry birds (3 stars to 5 stars depending on how well the task is accomplished. For example 50 goods or less in alpha helix would grant you 3 stars, 25 or less 4 stars and a SDG would be 5 stars).
- You could share the “task accomplished”-thing in facebook
- This task system window would a dropdown menu in the FFR engine
I know that we have skill tokens and tier point system, but tier system is basically for D2+ players and skill tokens don’t follow a path of progression, if you know what I mean.
This is more or less what the Tier Points scale is, except it was geared towards slightly more experienced players. The only difference aside from song difficulty and requirements is the fact that Tier Points (don't hate me for saying this) are just another worthless stat. Granted, saying "I'm Tier 1" is a cool thing to some people, but the reality is that a title is typically going to be a bit less of an incentive than some other rewards. I feel like this could be implemented for lower end players in a way that would encourage them to work towards getting involved in the game and working towards improving without just "slaving away" until they get better. It reduces how daunting the learning curve for FFR can be if there are goals along the way aside from "improve my score". I think FFR was moving in a good direction with the profile badges, but there are two VERY important things regarding that in my opinion that we are not implementing. 1 - more badges for things other than official events. Achievements and milestones can be badge-worthy. It's another reward avenue for newer players to go along with tokens. 2 - Social media! Like SO many other things with this game implementing the ability to show achievements for FFR on social media such as Facebook means people can "show off" these badges they worked for. It's a pretty big deal to someone who is just starting out to feel like they're achieving something.

Other ideas:
1. Songs list as a bigger button in the front page.
Not sure I see the point you're going for on this, do you mind elaborating?

2. What I’ve seen the past years, the community cools down a lot after an OT ends. Maybe we could have more official tournaments each year? 2-3 tournaments a year would make miracles to site activity. One of the tournaments with new files, the others could be with old files to make things easier for staff. Maybe one tournament with only one division? Would be epic. X-rated tournaments with old files?
I like the idea of doing a non-new official each year or something, of less caliber. It means something to keep the community engaged on an "official" level, without as much demand from the batch process to output enough for two tournaments each year (that's quite a few files on top of regular releases).

3. Ability to make internal song playlists of FFR songs in your profile, where you can also listen to them with a special music player? A couple of playlists would be able to be saved per profile.
Not much to say on this one - I think it would be neat but wouldn't be overly influential in my opinion. Perhaps it could just be FFR radio or something where users can each make up to 3 playlists to submit, and you can just go to the "radio" page and search by username, pick the playlist, and it just cycles through the songs there. Just kind of throwing things out for this.

4. Profile games? XO, chess? Some sort of profile activity boost would make the site more interesting.
Same as the last - while I think it would be neat, I don't see it making as much of a long term impact aside from perhaps creating more FFR users that don't play FFR (lol)

Old 09-8-2015, 07:34 PM   #339
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

I asked my friend why he didn't really play FFR.

He said there weren't a lot of options in the 1-10 range for good songs and charts, and that the poorly synced blue note songs were unplayable for him. Anytime he saw all the notes were blue, he'd quit immediately. He said "The biggest thing would be getting rid of the garbage" (refering to legacy charts).

I personally know there are some good charts in that range, but it people have trouble finding them, they won't stick around.

He also said "maybe a beginner's guide would be useful"

Food for thought on retaining D1 players

Old 09-8-2015, 07:37 PM   #340
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaxRunner05 View Post
I asked my friend why he didn't really play FFR.

He said there weren't a lot of options in the 1-10 range for good songs and charts, and that the poorly synced blue note songs were unplayable for him. Anytime he saw all the notes were blue, he'd quit immediately. He said "The biggest thing would be getting rid of the garbage" (refering to legacy charts).

I personally know there are some good charts in that range, but it people have trouble finding them, they won't stick around.

He also said "maybe a beginner's guide would be useful"

Food for thought on retaining D1 players
I've only been saying this for nearly 10 years.

"BUT MUH LEGACY FILES" I have no idea why people are so irrationally attached to these pieces of shit in the game :/

Closed Thread