Arere
FFR Player

Default Re: Which Rhythm Game are you from? and how did you get here

did robeats even exist in 2007
Old 02-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #63
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
started with guitar hero 2 on ps2 back in the day. found FFR while searching up rhythm games, then shortly after learned about stepmania

back in the day I would just play index stream files constantly, didnt start actually being not 12 years old and wanting to improve until i wanna say like mid 2016.

I used to play stepmania files with no jumps enabled, and on judge 1 cause i didnt care, way back in 2007. needless to say I was an idiot and tbh probably still am

edit: story time, back in around 2009, during the FFR blackout when the site literally disappeared, I somewhat lost interest in rhythm games... then one day, I remember seeing a friend in computer class one time, playing FFR on lightdarkness, shoutouts to anyone who remembers that old mirror... im like yo wtf i didnt know FFR was still around, then he told me about the mirror, then I asked him to play vertex beta and he was like "uhh do you mean vRofl?" and im just like nah, the regular one, and he did pretty good on it from what I remember.

I wonder if he still plays, i doubt it but maybe

edit 2: thinking more about it, I maaaay have found FFR because of myspace... remember the old band widgets http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/widgets/ , people used to stick those on their myspace page and whatnot, I feel like i probably found the game via one of a friends myspace but I have no idea

edit 3:

shiit, it might have also been cause of this... back when I was younger I was on newgrounds constantly, playing flash games, trying to level up on the site.. I remember in elementary school id come home and make sure to vote on the 5 daily portal votes to get my xp points lol

apparently I only got to level 9 tho lol, even so it was fun times.. I remember being super into the audio portal, and loved dimrain47, paragonX, and all those other obscure newgrounds artists lol... good times (I actually have an animation I made that won "turd of the week" on newgrounds because it was like 1.47/5 rating lul, but I sure as hell am not gonna post my username, my forum posts from back then are waaaay too cringy, realizing it now it shows my global rank in the pic but i doubt that lets you find anything and even if it does I don't really care that 10 year old me was an idiot its sort of to be expected way back then)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Started back on robeats in 2007
Did your past get George Lucas'd?

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #64
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Did your past get George Lucas'd?
I wish, certain parts at least
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #65
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

DDRsn2 and GH2 in 2010.

moved to keyboard arrow game in 2014.

took a break in 2016 before coming to ffr in 2019

katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #66
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Saw friends play Stepmania sometime in 2007, paid it little mind. Then played the widget version of FFR that Children of Bodom had on their myspace to promote the upcoming Blooddrunk album, which made me interested in flash rhythm games. Played a similar one on facebook, then I remembered Stepmania. Played that for almost 2 years then when visiting my parents in Feb 2011, then while using a computer that didn't have Stepmania installed, I remembered FFR, and joined.

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 03-24-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #67
Zlyice
Slightly unpronounceable
Lead Difficulty Consultant
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Veteran

Back in 2009, I came across Tap Tap Revenge, which was basically a 3k VSRG that I played on my iTouch. Unfortunately, the game was rather prone to dropping taps, which I found frustrating, so I started looking for alternatives. Found FFR, and here I am still more than a decade later.
Zlyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:54 PM   #68
kainivy
Taking a break
FFR Veteran

I don't remember how far back it was but i got interested in ddr but was embarrassed to even try it, saw a friend playing stepmania and i decided to try that and enjoyed playing it, then i found out about FFR from my friend when i asked him what he was playing cause it didn't look like stepmania, i also had a myspace and would always go to SGX's profile just to play the songs and thats how i wound up here since 2008
kainivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #69
_DJ Vinyl_
Path of Re Rusting
FFR Veteran

Funny enough I got here when FFR was in it's lite form with a limited amount of songs. I was playing on my cousins' old computer when I saw the game, it was XP and I played it for the first time.

I was still a guest at the time playing one handed and then when I got my first computer which was a gateway desktop, I played it constantly. Then made an account 7+ years ago. Funny enough half of those years was one handed and today I'm spread DFJK.

To think all it took was a trip to my cousins' house for me to start playing the game for the first time.
_DJ Vinyl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #70
sploder12
JS Enjoyer
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Technically I came from DDR and Guitar Hero which I never actually tried at. My first keyboard based rhythm game was FFR. Reason for coming is cause a friend and I watched a streamer that was ~lvl75 (would play a song or two in-between rounds of a game) and we thought it looked fun.
sploder12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #71
flashflash account
FFR Player

DDR and Guitar Hero

for to play the mafias

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #72
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Friday Night Funkin
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #73
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

I'm from here baybee

sent by my friend from neopets

Quote:
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:00 AM   #74
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

wanted to play a rhythm game. friend who doesn't play knew of this site in 2007 and showed me. before this i dabbled in scgmd games on kong and frequency/amplitude on ps2. ffr remains my main rhythm game basically leaving sm and etterna untouched
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:01 AM   #75
CammyGoesRawr
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran

i guess my first rhythm game was parappa, but i don't consider playing the same demo stage over and over again as something to come from, so ddr was my first actual rhythm game.

my brother started playing ffr in 2004 and i noticed it as an interesting "ddr on the computer". i mindlessly played some stuff one-handed and just kinda never left, somehow learned to use both hands and learned that you don't need to use the arrow keys. here we are.

CammyGoesRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #76
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Played Amplitude on the PS2 back in 2004, thought it was a cool game but hard when I got to expert mode. XD

Then I started playing some DDR at my local arcade for a bit then decided I wanted to use my fingers to play. Computer at the time didn't have admin rights to install stuff so I had to settle for what I could find, and alas, FFR.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #77
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My first rhythm game was Stepmania in September 2004 right when the DDR 8th mix came out. I remember introducing the game to irl friends, but I ended up being the only one that kept playing. I found FFR while looking up songs for Stepmania. That is because FFR used to have a Simfile Database which is no longer here.

When O2Jam came out in February 2005, it shifted my attention away from Stepmania/FFR for a bit until I got stuck at lvl36 because I had to pay to get rings for a challenge. That singlehandedly led me to quit O2Jam, but I still played songs once in a while. I remember playing FFR as a guest for nearly a year at first and eventually joined in July 2005. Back in the day, I was playing Tales of Phantasia and thought Dhaos was a cool boss name so, I swapped it into Xhaos. Eventually, I figured Xhaos looked kinda similar to ThaoR and I didn't like it so, I spent some time thinking at something a bit more unique and went for Hakulyte. That is why Hakulyte is technically my 2nd account. I was watching Naruto at that point, but I was also part of a guild in Ragnarok Online which ultimately led me toward this. Guild master was Zabuza and I was like the coleader, but "Haku" was taken so, I went with Hakulyte and kept that for FFR as well.

Anyway back in 2004~2008, I kept rotating Stepmania/FFR/O2Jam all the time until Osu came out. I got top 200 in the osu circle mode using a mouse and then quit when people started playing with tablets and crushing leaderboards. I wasn't particularly good, it's just that the level back in 2008 was a lot lower. I also broke 3 mouse in that process and it made me not want to come back (spinners are mouse breakers). I tried Osumania and despite liking LNs in O2Jam, I didn't like them in Osumania. I kept getting misses all the time when releasing keys and it never clicked. I guess I can only do this with screencut or a slower speed and all the scrolling space threw me off. It didn't matter if I could AAA everything else, I felt like that ruined my fun overall. Somewhere along these times I also played Audition, Bandmaster and Guitar Hero 3, but didn't particularly get anything worth mentioning in these games.

When it comes to Stepmania, I made it in the top 50 on stepmaniaonline.net but ended up slowly moving more toward FFR. Note that this top 50 is also based on something similar to grandtotal. Anyway, I prefered how FFR had a static song list and technically speaking a "end game". I really liked how I didn't need to download anything and how I could quit and come back at any point easily.

I also played a ton of non-rhythm games and rhythm games for me have always been like some "side game" to play between 2 games. I don't play instruments and I'm not particularly into music either. You would think maybe I'm more on the coding/developing side of things, but that's not really the case either. I just wanted to see FFR slowly get rid of its flaws one by one and hopefully eventually reach the point where I can't think of anything that can be improved.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #78
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Maplestory
Old 03-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #79
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticone View Post
Maplestory
Maplestory has a rhythm game in it or is there something here that I'm missing?

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #80
SoFtBOILeD
FFR Player

I just randomly found this game one day, I played a lot of rhythm games such as Geometry Dash, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and Just Shapes and Beats. I was just finding a way to play Stepmania and found this game. Overall, I feel like I have improved a bit since I got back into it, beating around level 40 maps when I was really only beating level 15-20s.
SoFtBOILeD is offline   Reply With Quote