Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Zyxel
Event Staff
Event Staff

Default [Pack Release] Zyxel's 4fun Minipack!

Download:
Mirror:

"Zyxel's 4fun Minipack" is now released!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This pack is the conglomeration of my very first files ever, and I am incredibly excited to share it with the world here today. This pack's primary purpose is as an experiment of mine to 1) learn and get better at charting through the process of actually making files, and 2) to share to a broader audience for the sake of receiving criticism and feedback. This pack consists of 8 files I've made over the past month.

This pack features a wide difficulty range, going from 10-20, so hopefully there is a little bit for anyone of all skill levels. I'm not familiar with how difficulty scoring works YET, so most of the difficulty ranges are pretty arbitrary based on how I think it feels. I also wrote a summary of every file in the pack, however they're sorta lengthy so I'll put them behind little "spoiler" bubbles. I am open to ANY AND ALL CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Give me your feed back. You hated these files? Awesome, please tell me what sucked in order for me to be better. I am trying to do everything in my power here to learn and grow. Anyways, here are the summaries + song list

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Song List Below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chart Summaries Below

1) as the snow falls
>"as the snow falls" is the first chart in this pack, as well as the easiest file in the collection. The chart is designed to match the theme of the song, which is reflected in its color-theory gimmick, featuring only white notes that represent the falling snowflakes. The chart's rhythm is smooth, and the difficulty level is relatively low, making it ideal for beginners. The chart's simplicity allows players to focus on the song's soothing melody, which is inspired by the winter season's ambiance (9 months until the Holidays, fellas). Overall, "As the Snow Falls" is an enjoyable chart for those looking for a relaxing and engaging Stepmania experience.

---

2) Dancing on the (Berlin) Wall
>"Dancing on the (Berlin) Wall" is the next chart in the pack, with its focus on chordjacks as its primary skill-set. It is beginner-friendly and feels like a chordjack tutorial, making it a great choice for those who want to improve their chordjack technique. The chart is based on a classical piano piece, which made it an experimental process to learn how to properly do BPM changes and BPM matching. The song's inconsistent timings relative to a static BPM provided a challenge, but the end result was a fun and engaging accuracy file (with a slight difficulty bump towards the end). Overall, it is a chart that offers a very fundamentally grounded experience for both beginner and advanced players.

---

3) destination moon but it has amen breaks
>"destination moon but it has amen breaks" is the third file in the pack, and is also one of the three main pillars of the pack due to its steep but expressive difficulty curve and identity. The chart's primary skill-set consists of jumpstream patterns and tech-oriented bursts, providing a challenging and thrilling experience for players who are looking to improve their skills. The chart's difficulty level is higher than the other charts in the pack, making it a good option for advanced players who are looking for a challenge. Overall, "Destination Moon but it has Amen Breaks" is a pretty standard Jumpstream file with a deviation into a more bursty chart that offers a (hopefully) engaging experience.

---

4) Jumble
>"Jumble" is a Stepmania chart with a moderate difficulty level that emphasizes the swing-y rhythm of the song. The chart is designed to be accessible to intermediate players and features a relatively standard set of steps, without anything too crazy. The song's rhythm is a prominent feature of the chart, making it an enjoyable experience for players who are looking for a challenge without being overwhelmed. Overall, "Jumble" offers a fun and engaging experience for intermediate players, with a heavy emphasis on the rhythm of the song. (Could also be a good scoring file for any high level players who want to try and MA it)

---

5) Rune Shard
>"Rune Shard" is the fifth chart in the pack, being one of my songs that I personally wrote- and is one of the three main pillars of the pack. The chart features a relatively standard jumpstream section, but subverts players' expectations by including an incredibly wonky bridge and a 12th note psytrance section that set this file apart from the rest. The chart's difficulty curve makes it slightly less accessible to low-mid level players, but it provides a welcomed challenge to more advanced players. I had to re-chart this file as a whole 4 separate times, and re-charted the wonky section from scratch 9 separate times. This is also my first ever chart.

---

6) Storyteller (Kill Paris Remix)
>"Storyteller" is the sixth file in the pack, and the chart that is the most polarizing in the entire pack (its polarizing even in general). The chart is a dark horse and was a bold experiment to tinker with some of my unique concepts, making it my personal favorite among all the files. The chart features flammy longjacks and flammy roll-jumps (sorry not sorry), making it a unique and challenging experience. The chart is also incredibly split-layout biased, as I'm a split player myself instead of a spread player. However, most players who will play the chart will dislike or even hate it due to its difficulty level and awkward patterns. Overall, "Storyteller" is a wonky (and maybe even 'esoteric') chart that offers a unique and challenging experience for players who are willing to take on the challenge, but its difficulty level and polarizing nature may not be everyone's cup of tea.

---

7) Turbocharger
>"Turbocharger" is the seventh file in the pack, being a pretty straightforward chart that primarily consists of Jumpstream patterns. The chart is designed to be accessible to players of all levels, and its relatively simple design makes it an ideal choice for those who want to warmup, practice accuracy, or just have a relaxing JS file to play. While it may not be the most challenging or complex chart in the pack, it is a good scoring file and is definitely MA'able. Overall, "Turbocharger" is a solid chart that offers a fun and engaging experience for players who are looking for a more straightforward and accessible challenge.

---

8) Umami
>"Umami" is the eigth and final chart, as well as being what I'd consider the third main pillar in the pack; being another song that I wrote myself. The chart is predominantly a Jumpstream file, much like the other files in the pack, but its approach to voicing and inclusion of light flam/bursts and hands makes it a unique and engaging experience for players. The chart is one of my personal favorites in the whole pack and is sure to provide a fun and challenging experience for intermediate and above level players. While it may not be the most insane file in the world, it is definitely MA'able for those who want to go for some insane accuracy plays. Overall, "Umami" is a chart that offers a unique and enjoyable challenge for players who are looking to improve their skills and have fun.

---

Credits: Shout out to Layla and Rina for play-testing the pack for me and helping me catch a plethora of mistakes.

I hope anyone who is willing to give this pack a try will have fun! Thank you for reading, and thank you for considering downloading the pack. Cheers!

edit: updated the download links

Last edited by Zyxel; 03-12-2023 at 07:15 PM..
Zyxel is offline   Reply With Quote