Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Default Dvorak Typing

I've been oddly interested in everything typing for around a year now - steno, keyboards, switches, etc. So I finally decided just 2 days ago to start learning the Dvorak keyboard layout:

The gist of it - more comfortable typing layout for hands, not always necessarily faster, most typing occurs on home row and with back and forth motion. I'm learning it because I feel like a potential candidate for developing hand/finger problems in the future and I feel Dvorak is healthier for hands.

Just wondering if anyone here uses Dvorak and to those who made the switch from QWERTY, how long did it take to master the layout?

Probably a shot in the dark I guess. Are there no other typing hipsters out there?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
fido123
FFR Player

Default Re: Dvorak Typing

I tried learning left handed Dvorak once because it does increase the speed of your typing, however my QWERTY typing would get slower and I'd start making mistakes. It's really hard to separate Dvorak from QWERTY with the muscle memory for your hands I guess, I just quit and stayed with QWERTY so I wouldn't be useless on any other computer but mine in a 100Km radius.

Also interesting fact, Dvorak was originally used in typewriters but they'd jam because it would few to almost type too fast, so they moved keys so you can spell "typewriter" using only the top row of keys. THE MOAR YOU KNO
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

I've always wanted to try to learn Dvorak, but I know there'd be a time where I'd be forced to use Qwerty. Sad, but it's not going to change anytime soon.

You're Aja Leith of the Holograms! You're very exotic, intelligent and sophisticated.
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

I plan not to lose my QWERTY ability since 110+ wpm on average can be useful to me at times. Learning a new keyboard is a fun challenge (see: stenotyping [court reporting], 8pen and MessageEase [smartphones]).

After just 3 days of learning, I'm up to an average 28 wpm. Doesn't sound like a lot, I know.. Though considering I was able to memorize the layout within a couple of hours and the fact that I never look at my keys (which would be useless; my keyboard is blank), I think I'm progressing quickly. Within a month's time I expect to be near or in the hundreds for wpm.

Speaking about changing muscle memory, I think it really just requires discipline. I'm constantly readjusting my fingers' memories whilst playing trumpet, especially when transposing or memorizing new scales. Even simple changes or additions can take hours to learn.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
it does increase the speed of your typing.
Nonsense. It's only been shown to strain your hands slightly less. Either way it's a hugely insignificant change.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Nonsense. It's only been shown to strain your hands slightly less. Either way it's a hugely insignificant change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Dvorak proponents claim the Dvorak layout uses less finger motion, increases typing rate, and reduces errors compared to the standard QWERTY[1] keyboard. This reduction in finger distance traveled was originally purported to permit faster rates of typing, and also in later years, it was purported to reduce repetitive strain injuries[2] including carpal tunnel syndrome.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

There comes a point when you really just can't type any faster. I don't believe the key layout is the limiting factor anymore. Maybe if I typed 70 words per minute on qwerty and I switched to dvorak I could bump it to 85, but I don't think it's going to change anything for me no matter how hard I try.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Patricoo
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
Also interesting fact, Dvorak was originally used in typewriters but they'd jam because it would few to almost type too fast, so they moved keys so you can spell "typewriter" using only the top row of keys. THE MOAR YOU KNO
I'm highly skeptical... *shifty eyes*
Old 07-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Algorithms and extensive testing from this guy concludes that Dvorak overall requires 20% less effort than QWERTY. However, the most efficient layout (including more modern layouts which at many times are more efficient than both Dvorak and QWERTY) is a modified (weak pinky) Dvorak layout which switches the U and I, and makes Enter, Backspace and Left Shift easier to reach for the pinkies. This is not the standard Dvorak layout, but remapping isn't difficult. I like using my pinkies so I'll stick with standard Dvorak.

I'd argue that even at high typing speeds there is possibility of improvement. Better keyboards and switches can improve speeds and the reason is that they make typing easier and more comfortable. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that a more efficient and comfortable typing layout can do that at the same high speeds. And 20% better efficiency may not be significant to some, but the amount of odd finger movements and hand curving/turning while typing is reduced by a heck of a lot, and I care most about hand and finger straining, so that's significant.

Last edited by PlayTrumpet; 07-17-2011 at 04:35 PM..
PlayTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
jugglinguy
Use me as a porta-potty
FFR Veteran

Izzy, what site is that from?

You're Aja Leith of the Holograms! You're very exotic, intelligent and sophisticated.
jugglinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglinguy View Post
Izzy, what site is that from?
Looks like http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/ although the fonts are different so I assume it's an older picture..

As for everyday type racing, I like TypeRacer.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I tried this as a couple years ago. qwerty just seemed more comfortable since typing on it seems more left dominant. Just too much movement for my right-hand.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Zeta~ View Post
I tried this as a couple years ago. qwerty just seemed more comfortable since typing on it seems more left dominant. Just too much movement for my right-hand.
True fact - QWERTY is in fact a bit left hand dominant which is something Dvorak addresses, giving I think 56% of keystrokes to the right hand. I happen to be a lefty but my right hand is generally stronger.