Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-6-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default How to measure conciousness

If you can do that, then you win. I don't think that it's impossible, however it seems we're nowhere near being able to do so.
Currently, the measure of consciousness that we use is based on actions. It seems to basically boil down to "Hey, I get what they're trying to do, they're doing that thing that I do. I'm concious, so they have to be too."
Not even considering the fact that we're creating machines that seem human, people don't even agree on whether animals are conscious or not. And with animals, we at least have a comparison of anatomy, specifically, brains, to help us out. (Nihilists don't even think other humans are conscious!) With computers, we have nothing of the sort. Sci-fi has depicted machines having motives and thought, which usually happens when the technology has advanced enough. But we have no idea how advanced that is, or even if it's possible.
Do computers have consciousness right now? Does a rock have conciousness? How can consciousness be created from things which themselves don't have any? Is it even physically possible to create a machine that is, basically, completely human except that it has no consciousness, or would the process of creating that machine require a consciousness to develop?

Does anyone have any ideas about how to measure consciousness?

Last edited by Cavernio; 01-6-2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: should learn how to spell consciousness before talking about it
Old 01-6-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54
Default Re: How to measure conciousness

Not really a good Critical Thinking question IMO.

Consciousness is defined as being aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc. So, it is not really something to be measured, You either are, or you are not. There is no "measuring" to be done. Simple as that.

Old 01-6-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: How to measure conciousness

There is no scale. It is a bool.
Closed Thread