Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games

Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Senip
Forum User

Default Re: Let's talk about the video game industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I don't see how consumers share part of the blame (except in the case of DRM meant to counteract piracy). There's not much that fans can do to affect the way games are made or the industry as a whole.

I think the last time you brought up a similar topic, I defended developers for the most part. As time has passed - not even from bad experiences on my own part, but rather from news articles and just letting everything sink in - I've become more and more discouraged. At this point, I no longer consider myself to be part of the market. I'll play the games I have, and I'll "ooh" and "ah" when I see the visuals generated by my friends' shiny new consoles. I just find no reason to pay money for new games over other types of entertainment anymore. I haven't seen a major form of innovation in a AAA title in eons. (I haven't played Heavy Rain, to be fair.)

Like you said, though, they're catering to the average gamer. That's how the creators and sellers can make the most money by far, so I can't blame them. I'll keep an eye on how things are going. If industry trends ever shift drastically, maybe my level of interest will be restored.
The thing that we can do, as consumers, is refuse to buy the product. It may not seem like much, but if 1 out of 10 people don't buy the next X game, that's a 10% drop. That'd be huge for a company, and would definitely make them have to rethink it. I think a lot of it is that people are so set in their ways (especially gamers, who tend to have some form of OCD or another) that they just keep buying things, while bitching about it. I was buying FF 13 and was like "I dont even know why I'm getting this..."

Interestingly enough, lately the handhelds (psp and DS, in particular) have been getting some really good RPGs. I dont know why, but its like the RPGs are becoming a handheld genre.
Senip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I've gotten to the point where I've stopped buying games unless I know for a fact it's not going to suffer from mainstream-ism.

But, many buy the games anyway.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

I only care about UMVC 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senip View Post
The thing that we can do, as consumers, is refuse to buy the product. It may not seem like much, but if 1 out of 10 people don't buy the next X game, that's a 10% drop. That'd be huge for a company, and would definitely make them have to rethink it. I think a lot of it is that people are so set in their ways (especially gamers, who tend to have some form of OCD or another) that they just keep buying things, while bitching about it. I was buying FF 13 and was like "I dont even know why I'm getting this..."
That's a really good point. Money talks, for sure. On a personal level, though, I have no say over anyone else's actions. I'm not quite willing to go out and campaign against Activision products. As it stands, apparently a whole lot of people really, really want Black Ops 2.

Quote:
Interestingly enough, lately the handhelds (psp and DS, in particular) have been getting some really good RPGs. I dont know why, but its like the RPGs are becoming a handheld genre.
If you're talking JRPGs, that makes a ton of sense. The genre's signature art style and overhead perspective fit perfectly on less powerful devices.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #25
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
^^
DS I've been really enjoying. Even if half the games I own are crappy remakes, the other half are really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I've gotten to the point where I've stopped buying games unless I know for a fact it's not going to suffer from mainstream-ism.
What exactly is the matter with mainstream games? Stop letting other people dictate to you whether you enjoy a game. I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't buy a good game because too many people play it.
Pseudo Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #26
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma View Post
What exactly is the matter with mainstream games? Stop letting other people dictate to you whether you enjoy a game. I feel really bad for anyone who doesn't buy a good game because too many people play it.
What I mean is that most mainstream games nowadays are geared towards a particular type of player that I don't have much in common with. I don't dislike games because other people like them. I dislike games that are oversimplified garbage with pretty graphics -- the kinds of games that work well in the mainstream. Most AAA titles I find horrifically boring (with some exceptions obviously).
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Has anyone mentioned day 1 DLC yet? **** that shit, no excuse for that.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
What I mean is that most mainstream games nowadays are geared towards a particular type of player that I don't have much in common with. I don't dislike games because other people like them. I dislike games that are oversimplified garbage with pretty graphics -- the kinds of games that work well in the mainstream. Most AAA titles I find horrifically boring (with some exceptions obviously).
Aye, I can agree with that. Most of the games lately have been dolled up recycled versions of other games made by another company with the word "new" plastered all over the cover.

What pisses me off though, is when original content gets bought by another company and then ripped into shit by modifying it so everyone can like it. Video Games are almost an artform. Art isn't made for everyone to like, neither should games.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #29
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
^^
DS I've been really enjoying. Even if half the games I own are crappy remakes, the other half are really good.
Yeah, its ridiculous how good some of the DS games are. Radiant Historia takes something interesting (time travel, sorta like CT) and puts it's own spin on it, with an interesting battle system. PSP has a lot of really fun games too, like the Legend of Heroes series (and of course, all the ps1 games...)

Then we cant get shit for games on the ps3 and stuff. I think White Knight Chronicles, Disgaea 4, and Tales of Graces F were the only games I really looked forward to this past couple of years. It's like Reincarnate says, they try to make it look really pretty and dont go much further than that.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Hmmm, I actually don't own a DS. What are some good RPG's for it?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #31
Senip
Forum User

http://gbatemp.net/topic/219632-ds-rpg-list/

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...P-%28rpgpsp%29 too.

So far my favorites have been the Dragon Quest remakes and 9, Radiant Historia, World Ends with You, Black Sigil (basically a chrono trigger clone, but I like it), and a few others (SUIKODEN F YEAH).
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #32
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

^

He's a backwards penis

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
Has anyone mentioned day 1 DLC yet? **** that shit, no excuse for that.
There is. While most of the time it's also available as a pre-order bonus, the main driving point behind day one DLC is used game sales. Since game companies get no share from the sale of a used game, it somewhat robs a sale from them. So in order to get something from them, day one DLC will force the customer to shell out some money to the company.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
There is. While most of the time it's also available as a pre-order bonus, the main driving point behind day one DLC is used game sales. Since game companies get no share from the sale of a used game, it somewhat robs a sale from them. So in order to get something from them, day one DLC will force the customer to shell out some money to the company.
More money isn't an acceptable excuse for day one DLC.

Also, day one DLC for effects virtual selling as well (Steam). It's not like I can buy a used game virtually. In that case, day one DLC is a giant middle finger to me.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/219632-ds-rpg-list/

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...P-%28rpgpsp%29 too.

So far my favorites have been the Dragon Quest remakes and 9, Radiant Historia, World Ends with You, Black Sigil (basically a chrono trigger clone, but I like it), and a few others (SUIKODEN F YEAH).
I'm a really low budget (really really realllllllllly low) gamer so I haven't been able to play all the ones I've wanted to try out.

Children of Mana, Radiant Historia, Nostalgia, FF:Heroes of Light , DQ9, Pokemon (lol), Valkyrie Profile, Rune Factory

All those games are ones I know are good, and I own about half of those. DQ9 and CoM are both really good, as I've played each like a million times and loved the crap out of them.

There's plenty, and I every game I have bought for the DS so far hasn't let me down or anything. Then again, I can't throw around money, so I only get the games I know are good..

I just can't wait for the 3DS to get a bunch of good 3D RPGs. The 64 remakes have been good so far, but I just want something that will make my jaw drop for the 3DS..

Anyway I just want less of these Linear FPSes and more interesting ideas that haven't been tried before. If the gaming companies all donated money for videogame research more we could be playing with VR and stuff lol
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #36
Senip
Forum User

Quote:
I'm a really low budget (really really realllllllllly low) gamer so I haven't been able to play all the ones I've wanted to try out.

Children of Mana, Radiant Historia, Nostalgia, FF:Heroes of Light , DQ9, Pokemon (lol), Valkyrie Profile, Rune Factory

All those games are ones I know are good, and I own about half of those. DQ9 and CoM are both really good, as I've played each like a million times and loved the crap out of them.

There's plenty, and I every game I have bought for the DS so far hasn't let me down or anything. Then again, I can't throw around money, so I only get the games I know are good..

I just can't wait for the 3DS to get a bunch of good 3D RPGs. The 64 remakes have been good so far, but I just want something that will make my jaw drop for the 3DS..

Anyway I just want less of these Linear FPSes and more interesting ideas that haven't been tried before. If the gaming companies all donated money for videogame research more we could be playing with VR and stuff lol
Actually, the Mana games have really been a let down. They went to a tactics style play because Kingdom Hearts has basically taken their niche, which really sucks because I thought they were so good.

(also it's pines backwards what a tard lolo)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
Pseudo Enigma
ごめんなさい (/ω\)
FFR Veteran

I haven't played anything other than LoM, SoM1&2, CoM and SoE, so I don't know if it's gone downhill or not. I know I enjoy what they've been doing.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #38
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

IMO, DLC is one of two things:

1. Paying extra for shit that should have been included in the game you paid for already
2. Extra shit you don't really need
Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #39
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Quote:
IMO, DLC is one of two things:

1. Paying extra for shit that should have been included in the game you paid for already
2. Extra shit you don't really need
I disagree with #1 in certain cases (not counting the cases of free DLC, because nobody can argue against it). I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but there do exist some DLCs that have good reason to not be included with the game and are well worth the price. I'll edit this if I can remember a good example.

EDIT: GTA IV DLC was pretty good. It gave you an entirely different storyline in the same setting without having to buy another game. I don't think they would've thought to included two stories in the original game at the cost of lowering the time spent on the actual story.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #40
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
I disagree with #1 in certain cases (not counting the cases of free DLC, because nobody can argue against it). I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but there do exist some DLCs that have good reason to not be included with the game and are well worth the price. I'll edit this if I can remember a good example.
Expansions.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote