Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Input about my future!

So registration time is coming up and I need to make a big decision. It's big in the sense that it'll entirely change what my priorities are for next year. Currently, I am a mathematics and computer science major. The decision to make is whether or not to drop the CS degree.

Here is a brief background of my life after high school:

Spring 2011: Graduated high school. My choices for school were University of Hawaii at Hilo, University of Hawaii at Manoa, University of Portland. In addition, the University of Southern California (USC) offered me a spot starting their Spring 2012 term.

Fall 2011: Went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa as a Computer Science major (which is on another island than the one I currently live on). I had decided to go here because of this awesome scholarship I had gotten. It's a system wide scholarship so I could have gone to any university in the system but I wanted to get away from home. I learned a lot in my Intro to CS II class which was taught in Java. I had self-studied on my own for the AP Computer Science test in high school so it was nice to actually learn from something else other than just a textbook. Anyways, I had lots of fun here, made good friends and such. However, I had to make a decision about whether to go to USC or not next semester.

Spring 2012: I had decided to take the risk and said goodbye to my UH-Manoa friends to go to USC. Unfortunately, my flight complications had caused me to arrive there 2 weeks after classes had already started. That combined with other factors like homesickness, loneliness, and lack of self-confidence had caused me to fall behind further and further in my classes. I come from Hilo, which is a small town compared to the big city of LA so the sudden change was a bit too much for me. Eventually, I had fallen into a state of depression and stopped attending classes and communicating with the outside world (my family back home had literally thought I was dead >.<). So now I had another choice, do I go back to Hawaii or do I try to go for a round 2 at USC with a fresh semester?

Fall 2012: I decide to fly back to Hawaii. Unfortunately, since I had left the University of Hawaii system, I had lost ALL of my scholarships and couldn't reclaim them back. UH Manoa is more expensive than UH Hilo (the university in my home town) and thus UH Manoa wasn't an option for me without having to take out loans. I had applied last minute to UH Hilo. Luckily, I was able to write a convincing letter to the chancellor to allow me to enroll as a regular student so that I could receive financial aid.

Spring 2013: Before I was too naive and ignorant to know that Math was something one could actually major in and do something with it. I had taken a few math classes (that I didn't need to take) during this particular semester because they seemed interesting. I liked them. I had also applied for the REU (research experience for undergraduates) at my university and had gotten in. Toward the end of the semester, I had made it official: I had declared myself as a double major (CS and math)

Summer 2013: The REU (mentioned last paragraph) had happened. It was an experience I'll never forget. It was very rewarding and I found that I liked the mathematical research that I did (and it was also awesome that my coding skills had greatly aided my research). The program had exposed me to not only more mathematics, but also the mathematics community and the opportunities that were available. I had been thinking about it before, but this program had encouraged me to continue on the path of mathematics and to perhaps even consider going to grad school for it.

Fall 2013/Spring 2014: I'll just summarize these two. I've taken a few directed studies courses to learn about topics that aren't covered in any of the courses. I've gone to the SACNAS conference during the Fall to network with fellow mathematicians and scientists. I've gone to the Joint Mathematics Meeting this Spring to present the research I've done the summer prior. And I went through the entire application and interview process with the NSA for a summer position as a mathematician for their Director's Summer Program (didn't get it but the experience itself is still very memorable). And lastly, I got offered a spot at the REU at San Diego State University for this summer to do research on numerical semigroups which I gladly accepted. A decent amount of things has happened this academic year and it's probably clear cut at this point that my interest lies in mathematics. (Don't get me wrong though, I still find CS extremely enjoyable.)

Fall 2011: My first job was with Tutor.com. I had little tutoring experience at the time and working in an online environment with randomized students was an interesting challenge. I tutored writing as well which was interesting...I didn't like it when people came in with their million page papers though and they ask "can you proofread this?" I have to admit, I was really terrible when I first started tutoring Dx

Summer 2012-Fall 2013: Worked at the local judiciary. Nothing interesting...basically I just ran around the office and did tedious task like filing and copying. It wasn't getting me anywhere and it was minimum wage so I had quit at some point.

Fall 2012-Present: I work at The Learning Center tutoring math for the community college (I used to tutor writing as well but they had budget cuts). Also, since this semester (Spring 2014) I also work at the Kilohana, the tutoring center for the university.

Fall 2013: I worked for a pizza place called Big Island Pizza. It was a very fun place to work and I did make pretty good bank in tips. They demanded a lot of hours from me though and also I felt like I could be doing something better that's closer to my goals so I had resigned at the end of the semester.

Other: A place called Hilo Fish Company seemed interested in having me work for them. They want me to do what appears to be doing basic database queries to generate financial reports. I've taken a databases class so I'm familiar with writing basic database queries in SQL but it appears what they want me to do seems a bit too easy. I don't know, I might give it a try and see how it goes.
Also, I might start working in a bioinformatics lab this summer (or starting in the fall) doing some CS stuff with G's, A's, T's and C's. The only drawback is that it's an unpaid internship but I feel like there is a good opportunity to gain experience and learn something from it.

Nice try (^)>

Now the issue is, I only need to take a few more courses to get my math degree. I need a bunch more courses to get my CS degree. The reason being is that my first semester at UH-Manoa was in Java. A lot of the curriculum at UH-Hilo is in C++. I've been meaning to teach myself the language but I've been procrastinating it every semester. If I do decide to continue with my CS degree, I plan to buckle down on learning the language this summer so I can take the courses I need to take. Here are the pro's and con's of continuing my CS degree:

Pro's: I learn more CS. I make myself more marketable in the job market. I get a good amount of financial aid so I pay little to nothing every semester so staying a bit longer won't cost me much.

Con's: I have to stay in undergraduate school longer. I'll be postponing grad school. Grad schools might find it odd that I'm applying to their math program and that I only stayed in undergrad longer to do more CS.

Below, in the spoiler, is stuff pertaining to what courses I've taken and what courses I have to take depending on what action I take. Finishing my math degree will take two more semesters. Finishing my CS degree will probably take three more semesters. Finishing my CS with additional certificates (database certificate and e-commerce certificate) would take 4 more semesters.

Courses I've Taken:

College Algebra
Calculus I-IV
Intro to CS I and II
Expository Writing
Types of Literature
Intro to Biology I and II (and their respective labs)
General Chem and Lab
Discrete Math for CS I and II
Culture and Humanity (Anthropology)
Public Speaking
Principles of Astronomy
Linear Algebra
Intro to Western Philosophy
Numerical Analysis (CS/MATH)
Theory of Equations
Mathematical Physics
Prin. of Sociology
Web Technology I
Computer Organization and Assembly Language
Database Internals
Micro Econ
Ordinary Differential Equations
Fractal Geometry (directed study)
Abstract Algebra I and II
Financial Accounting
Networks & Data Communication
Partial Differential Equations
Topology
Complex Analysis (Directed Study)
Chaos Theory

Courses I need to take:

For math degree

Real Analysis I and II

For CS degree

Writing for Business OR Writing for Science/Technology
Physics (Mechanics) and Lab
Physics (Electricity and Magnetism) and Lab
Software Engineering I and II
CS Professional Seminar
Data Structures
Elements of Computer Architecture
Operating Systems
Origins of Programming Languages
Theory of Computing
GUI's
One of the following: Database System Designs, AI, OR, Compiler Theory

For additional database management certificate

Data Structures
Database Systems Design
Database Analytics

For additional E-commerce certificate (I already took the accounting and econ class. I was thinking about doing this to get some basic business skills/knowledge)

Web Technology II
Web Site Management
Project Management
Managing Electronic Commerce
Principles of Marketing
Promotional Strategy
Critical Thinking (some abstract business class)

Gen Ed's

World Cultures class
Global Citizen Community Citizen course (covered by software engineering)
Hawaiian Pan Pacific course
Writing Intensive (Software Engineering I and II will cover)

To be honest, I just don't know what to do :/ I've had conflicting opinions from some people already. I don't even really know what I want to with my life in general. I enjoy math and CS but I don't have clear cut career goals for what exactly I plan to do with those skills/knowledge. I also have a lot of insecurity when it comes to job security. I want to make a decent living but I don't want to do it at the expense of doing something that I don't enjoy.

In any case, I need to decide really soon. I need to know which classes to register for and if I decide to drop the CS degree, I need to get my butt in gear to preparing for graduate school admissions (campus visits, GRE prep, networking, etc).

Thoughts? I tried to give as much detail as I can to give the appropriate context. I'll be happy to answer any additional questions.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: blah

oops, the thread title was a place holder >.< could a mod perhaps change it to something more relevant?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Spoiler-box tree's are very incoherent.

My advice would to be to finish your degree as soon as possible and learn any computer science related skills on your own. Assuming you are able to self study the point of getting a degree would be to prove to an employer you are capable of learning. Mostly just to say you did it.

If you knew the CS technologies and had a math degree you could market yourself on a resume in either way. I think this will save you a lot of time and money with no negatives other than not learning CS from a teacher.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Litodude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Litodude

you should probably talk to your counselor not random people on the internet

dude
out west?
the fuck kinda location is west?
am i buying weed off a gotdamn pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
remind everyone that i am an outed racist neo-nazi who no one in their right mind should ever interact with in any way whatsoever

http://imgur.com/a/Ww9g3
Litodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Input about my future!

well lito there are quite a few people on ffr who are in the IT field so this thread wasn't a bad idea. I agree though, try talking to a counselor about this, as that's their job and would probably have more objective insight

if you go the CS route, don't take compiler theory unless you enjoy beating your head against a brick wall

think about it realistically. which degree would benefit you the greatest with a career?
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Snowcrafta
V's beta-male entourage

Send a message via AIM to Snowcrafta

CS will get you very high paying and very intense hours for a career. Depending on the metro area you live in, of course.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Thanks for the input guys I had talked to my adviser and a few other professors about the situation. I did have a few mixed results, but I think I've decided I'm going to finish my CS degree.

I'm still a little on the fence, or at least relatively close to it, so if somebody can convince me that this decision is one of the stupidest decisions of my life then I'd definitely reconsider.

Also, it seems a few people might have misinterpreted my post (either that or I'm misinterpreting theirs). But this isn't a matter of "either or", I'm going to finish and get my math degree regardless and continue on with my plans to go to graduate school for math afterwards. The choice I had to make was whether or not to finish my CS degree knowing that it'll slightly postpone my going to grad school.

EDIT: @Choof: Compiler Theory is being offered this semester but after reading your post I think I'll pass up on that class : P But then again, perhaps I actually do like (metaphorically) banging my head against a brick wall

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by reuben_tate; 04-24-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

The only way getting a CS degree is stupid is if you're 99% certain that you're going to get somewhere with you math degree academically. And it kinda seems like you are.

Otherwise, even though a math degree is going to qualify you and help you for a lot of jobs, employers are still going to look at it and be like 'Well, I can hire this guy with a math degree or this other guy who specifically has some other degree then went to college with this specific diploma that prepared him for my specific job'. Because no one is looking to hire someone with a math degree.

Everyone everywhere in the developed in the world is looking to hire someone with a CS degree.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

holy wall of text

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Because no one is looking to hire someone with a math degree.
this is actually wrong
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

On CS-related jobs previous experience is generally more important than the degree itself.

And although it's damn hard, compiler theory is really fun. I'd recommend it if you like to challenge yourself on a new way of thinking.
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I don't even really know what I want to with my life in general. I enjoy math and CS but I don't have clear cut career goals for what exactly I plan to do with those skills/knowledge.
this might be the biggest reason why I think staying for the computer science degree would be a good move. adding more time spent in school both furthers your education and gives you more time to figure out what you might want to do after grad school. sounds like you can afford the extra time spent in undergrad, so no problem there. I don't work for a grad school admission board or anything, but I don't see why getting the CS degree would lead to any issues.

the only two scenarios I can think of where I would vote for dropping the CS degree would be:

1) if you dislike school and want to get through it as quickly as possible strictly as a means to an end. honestly, if that were the case, I think going for a grad degree would be a highly questionable decision.

2) if you're concerned with reaching a specific savings goal within a certain time frame. even if you can afford to stay in school for longer, there's an opportunity cost there if you assume you would otherwise be able to get a job with x salary. staying in school would "lose" you whatever you would have earned during that time, plus anything gained from investments and all that good personal finance stuff.

sounds to me like neither of the two above statements apply in your case.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Stay for the CS degree -- it's much more marketable than the math degree.

As a general rule of thumb, whenever you're unsure about something, pick the option that gives you the most options later.

In other words, don't let uncertainty box you in.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote