Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #61
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!
Default Re: legacy files to alter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
where as the current situation of "FFR Veteran" status is lacking rewards.
not really a great reward hahaha
Old 04-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I say leave the legacy files in the engine but keep them all locked and hidden and only available to Veterans.
I... actually like this idea. However, remember folks, there's still plenty of old songs on FFR that are not specifically "Blue Note Syndrome".

May I direct your attention... to Pants. Hard file, but goodness is the chart just... whoa...

Pretty much all the early files that are colored have the same issues as the Blue Note Syndrome files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #63
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'd rather see them removed from public scoring mainly due to the amount of the more defined charts we have in the game now. Keyboard charting has pretty much reached its peak in terms of quality. Charting from back in 2003 was never close to such quality we have in simfiles today. It's unanimous that the community would rather play a chart that follows the music very well, rather than simfiles from many years ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #64
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjet! View Post
not really a great reward hahaha
It opens up an entirely new genre for people to play in. How is it not rewarding? That's like getting access to the Funk genre.

Sure it may not seem as much for people that already have the title, and would seem kind of stupid because we are not making changes to the files themselves,

but it gets newer players something to work for in general rather than getting credit loans from other top tier players to buy the entire "Purchased" genre and have enough leftover for the "Secret" genre. Also more people would play the game as well because they would have something immediately taken away, increasing site traffic at some extent, which has also been lacking since the reboot of the website. Even if it's miniscule, it still has value.

Just trying to think of ways to hit two birds with one stone. Who knows, maybe more can be added to the legacy genre in the near future as legacy2 (to show properly synced files) according to what you did with that dance genre. I can think of a couple songs to put under that legacy2 (hinthintcrowdpleaserhinthint)

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Netjet!
Sic itur ad astra

Send a message via AIM to Netjet! Send a message via Skype™ to Netjet!

Quote:
It opens up an entirely new genre for people to play in. How is it not rewarding? That's like getting access to the Funk genre.

Sure it may not seem as much for people that already have the title, and would seem kind of stupid because we are not making changes to the files themselves,
I was going along the lines of since they're already public, it will only be a "new genre" for the newer users that join the site once they become private/vet only. But yeah I see your point.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #66
Raining Nails
Oh no! It's Raining Nails
FFR Veteran

I actually think keeping them isn't a bad idea, as so many have played them and there is a certain "old school mystique" so those files. However, has anyone considered the possibility of seriously upping the difficulty on some of them to correspond with the background or impossible-to-see blue notes?

Like Euphoria [Antinomie] is a 6 but could be a 20 or so due to the off-sync arrows, and 136.6 could be around a 26 instead of a 10 to compensate for the timing/backgrounds.

Or we could offer some crazy, impossible-to-get prize to keep things fresh like, "If you AAA 100-bar Blackout 100 times in a row you get every token in the game." Incidentally, such a task is probably inhuman.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #67
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Some really cool ideas, Raining Nails. If you offer prizes for different challenges associated with them, there is still an incentive to play them, so they won't collect as much dust, but they aren't forced either. I still stick by not being able to access them without having to search them out, though.

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #68
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

I really don't like the idea of restepping/"fixing" the legacy files at all, for these reasons:
- the files are pretty objectively bad anyway, apart from the offsyncness and blue note syndrome, and the songs aren't too great either, so even if they're "fixed" people aren't going to enjoy the new ones
- it would ruin the work of all the people who actually went and AAA'd the files for real (in a way that relegating them to the token ranks wouldn't)
- and of course, Synthlight wouldn't like it
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #69
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
I say leave the legacy files in the engine but keep them all locked and hidden and only available to Veterans.
This actually sounds like an awesome idea. The only people who would really care about playing these files anyway would be people who have been members of this site for a long time and are nostalgia struck or something. This also pretty much implies public ranks would no longer have these files within their lists, which would be another great plus.

This would also allow FFR to always be putting it's best foot forward when it is found by newer people. I'm sure anyone who checks out FFR (especially those who have played other rhythm games in the past) would probably be pretty unsatisfied if they happened to start their song selections in the legacy genre. It's sort of like getting a new pack for StepMania, where if the set-list has quite a few off-sync files, and you happen to play a few of those ones first. You might think the whole thing is crap and just remove it (or in the case of FFR go somewhere else for rhythm gaming).

I suppose if newer players are interested in FFR's history (which would only happen if they became a frequent and probably dedicated member) when they become a veteran they can enjoy the wonders of the legacy genre as well. If it's only real reason to be around is for historical purposes, it might as well be treated as nothing more than an archive, rewarded to those who are probably the only ones who would want it in the first place.

Although since none of this is going to be implemented (or even remotely considered by anyone of power I'm sure) I guess it really doesn't matter. Guess we can all talk about it for a few more days until the thread dies though.

Last edited by foxfire667; 04-17-2013 at 03:36 PM..
foxfire667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #70
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

vet thing is the first legacy file suggestion i could get behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #71
ce1545
One Truth Prevails
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ce1545 Send a message via MSN to ce1545 Send a message via Yahoo to ce1545 Send a message via Skype™ to ce1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire667 View Post
This actually sounds like an awesome idea. The only people who would really care about playing these files anyway would be people who have been members of this site for a long time and are nostalgia struck or something. This also pretty much implies public ranks would no longer have these files within their lists, which would be another great plus.

This would also allow FFR to always be putting it's best foot forward when it is found by newer people. I'm sure anyone who checks out FFR (especially those who have played other rhythm games in the past) would probably be pretty unsatisfied if they happened to start their song selections in the legacy genre. It's sort of like getting a new pack for StepMania, where if the set-list has quite a few off-sync files, and you happen to play a few of those ones first. You might think the whole thing is crap and just remove it (or in the case of FFR go somewhere else for rhythm gaming).

I suppose if newer players are interested in FFR's history (which would only happen if they became a frequent and probably dedicated member) when they become a veteran they can enjoy the wonders of the legacy genre as well. If it's only real reason to be around is for historical purposes, it might as well be treated as nothing more than an archive, rewarded to those who are probably the only ones who would want it in the first place.

Although since none of this is going to be implemented (or even remotely considered by anyone of power I'm sure) I guess it really doesn't matter. Guess we can all talk about it for a few more days until the thread dies though.
The only problem I see with this is that some people won't be able to unlock certain skill tokens unless they're dedicated enough to meet the requirements to become a veteran.
ce1545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce1545 View Post
The only problem I see with this is that some people won't be able to unlock certain skill tokens unless they're dedicated enough to meet the requirements to become a veteran.
Of course I would forget something like that. It would be rather annoying to have to become a Veteran before unlocking them, perhaps there is a less intensive requirement we could devise that would allow this to work.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #73
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

vet unlocks all except the few you need for tokens?

Quote:
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #74
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

I support this, and I've AAA'd almost all of them.

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #75
gnr61
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to gnr61

haven't had a chance to read through this thread, but here's my take on legacy files:

no bluenotesyndrome off-sync shit quality legacy song with a spazzy 90s screensaver background should ever come up on a new player's random (or even incidental, via not knowing any better) song choice. they're unprofessional and make the game look cheap, especially if they're encountered early on. keep them for posterity's sake or whatever (hell i get nostalgic and enjoy the harder ones now and then), but make them require more deliberate effort to access, and probably don't make them count for ranks. no one except old farts who were around back then wants to play that crap.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #76
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr61 View Post
no bluenotesyndrome off-sync shit quality legacy song with a spazzy 90s screensaver background should ever come up on a new player's random (or even incidental, via not knowing any better) song choice. they're unprofessional and make the game look cheap, especially if they're encountered early on. keep them for posterity's sake or whatever (hell i get nostalgic and enjoy the harder ones now and then), but make them require more deliberate effort to access, and probably don't make them count for ranks. no one except old farts who were around back then wants to play that crap.
this x99999

just move the legacy files to veteran only, and change the related skill token requirements so they can also be unlocked through another song other then the legacy one - besides, token unlocks for legacy files are ridiculously easy and there are only a few.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #77
MrPoptart
Steam Id: MstrPoptart
FFR Veteran

Hasn't everyone wanted them to be at least unranked for years now? Are there still people who don't?

My opinion is what gnr61 said, except I'm old enough to remember when the only songs were blue notes, and I absolutely hate them. Just make them unranked in some way, or vet only ect.. If need be, make V2's for them, and make those ranked. Some of them have V2's already anyway (except those are tokens).
MrPoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #78
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Don't make them veteran only... I think us veterans don't appreciate how much time it actually takes to get there from a new account. I think it would be better to have the entire genre unlock when the player does something easy - like collecting 10 AAAs or 1000 credits. And not sure about the random thing, but I assume it wouldn't be super hard to make them not show up...
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #79
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

IMO this is an open-and-shut case

Just remove Legacy from the ranks, maybe add a note ingame when you bring up that section that those songs are not counted. Done deal!
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #80
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
I think it would be better to have the entire genre unlock when the player does something easy
Newbies will probably think it's really cool (Legacy sounds cool!) and then go off to play the songs ecstatically, only to be crushed, which is not what most of us want newbies to do <_<

I have a hard time imagining Legacy genre as a reward because it's kinda like opening up Door #3 to the gruesome view of a mountain of dinosaur poop.
It needs to be packaged with a warning label.