Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 08-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
melonpapes
FFR Player

Default I'm tired of Google's algorithms thinking they know what I want and ruining the net

I can't be the only one who notices the sharp decline in google search results quality, as well as their automated algorithms "predicting" behaviour being absolute dog shit. It seems like after they got in all kinds of hot water for "promoting" controversial search results and "Fake news", they cranked the liberal bias on their search so that if it so much as THINKS you are searching for a divisive or controversial topic, it hits you with a bunch of articles trying to sway you the other way.

For example, an example that stuck with me that I sent to my friend was results for a search "'"Terrorist attack statistics divided by religion'". The results that come back are "Muslims are not terrorists" and "white men in america are bigger domestic threats than muslims", when all I was looking for was empirical evidence and real stats and research papers to further my own research. Instead, I got answers to a question I did not ask from outlets like Vice et al, as if to say my question was too taboo to point me to actual answers that might "confirm" a derogatory viewpoint.

This also happens on YouTube. Almost every time without fail when I put on music that isn't current top 40s radio hits, the "Up Next" algorithm ALWAYS provides me with "Boney M - Rasputin" as if I want to listen to that song every time I feel like listening to music.

Does anyone else remember when search engines gave you what you wanted, rather than what it thinks you want? Nowadays, you get all kinds of promoted links, links from Pinterest, or things that are vaguely related because of interchangeable terms. Even the most detailed, precised, Advanced Search gives you loads of ads, results with one of your words or even vaguely related or popular stuff instead of your exact phrase.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the old wild west days of the net gone by, but I really think with all the aggregates and portals like Reddit, Facebook, etc., the net has become a bunch of interconnected walled gardens rather than a vast bastion of information to be explored at your will.

Last edited by melonpapes; 08-26-2018 at 06:18 AM..
melonpapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #2
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: I'm tired of Google's algorithms thinking they know what I want and ruining the n

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpapes View Post
I can't be the only one who notices the sharp decline in google search results quality, as well as their automated algorithms "predicting" behaviour being absolute dog shit. It seems like after they got in all kinds of hot water for "promoting" controversial search results and "Fake news", they cranked the liberal bias on their search so that if it so much as THINKS you are searching for a divisive or controversial topic, it hits you with a bunch of articles trying to sway you the other way.

For example, an example that stuck with me that I sent to my friend was results for a search "'"Terrorist attack statistics divided by religion'". The results that come back are "Muslims are not terrorists" and "white men in america are bigger domestic threats than muslims", when all I was looking for was empirical evidence and real stats and research papers to further my own research. Instead, I got answers to a question I did not ask, as if to say my question was too taboo to point me to actual answers that might "confirm" a derogatory viewpoint.

This also happens on YouTube. Almost every time without fail when I put on music that isn't current top 40s radio hits, the "Up Next" algorithm ALWAYS provides me with "Boney M - Rasputin" as if I want to listen to that song every time I feel like listening to music.

Does anyone else remember when search engines gave you what you wanted, rather than what it thinks you want? Nowadays, you get all kinds of promoted links, links from Pinterest, or things that are vaguely related because of interchangeable terms. Even the most detailed, precised, Advanced Search gives you loads of ads, results with one of your words or even vaguely related or popular stuff instead of your exact phrase.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the old wild west days of the net gone by, but I really think with all the aggregates and portals like Reddit, Facebook, etc., the net has become a bunch of interconnected walled gardens rather than a vast bastion of information to be explored at your will.
Search engines never gave you what you want.

You have to remember that above all, Google and YouTube are advertisers. Predictive results makes perfect logical sense for them to this end. If they give you what they think you want, they are more likely to achieve retention than otherwise.

Part of the complaints you describe are all symptoms of the internet that we all helped create.

If you want sources about terrorism, go to Google Scholar and find cited sources. You might find some direct paper links. More likely the papers are behind a paywall, but at least now you have a direct citation you can Google and from there you can find interpretations that use that citation.

If you don't want personalized results, use incognito mode or a VPN. Part of Google's "account" system exists so they can build statistical models about your preferences. They might even track by IP, I don't know. But there are countermeasures to this.

I can't comment if the liberal bias is explicit or implicit --- it might simply be the fact that mainstream media skews liberal and these outlets are simply more likely to contain factual information or interpretations. Maybe Google thinks you're liberal and is giving you more resonant articles.

You (general you) could probably run a statistical analysis on Google search results to make a model of Google bias if you cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack
Default Re: I'm tired of Google's algorithms thinking they know what I want and ruining the n

Or use Bing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

google absolutely tracks IP
use disconnect.me or duckduckgo
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Now that you mention it I am pretty sick of Youtube still thinking that I would like to watch RayWilliamJohnson for my next video

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Going to what DaBackpack said, Google is a general purpose search engine. Google Scholar can help you locate research that you can cite for the statistics you're looking for about terrorism, and provide more filter criteria for more objective results.

Other sites such as Wikipedia can also help you start a search for more statistics by reading the Notes section. A helpful strategy is finding a page that lists several citations, and then you can find more citations from that (or other sources that may have more specific information you're looking for).

tl;dr you may need to use different tools depending on your situation.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 08-26-2018 at 09:09 AM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Mfw using Google search engine for accurate research papers and statistics...

Other than the mentionned solutions (use actual research based engines, look for citations, etc), you Can use the normal engine but you have to use proper search queries (which sadly too many people dont know how).
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

as I see it, there are two issues here:

1. personalized search results. these give you what the engine thinks you want, but it's ultimately toward the end of making you more satisfied with the results.

2. politicized results. these are what the search engine thinks you should be reading, such as the case with the terrorism link. it also scrubs links it thinks are politically or ideologically bad, for whatever reason.

one example of #2 was when you could search on spanish google for "american inventors" and receive one list, but if you googled the same term on english google you'd get a list that looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-cbbVZkuY

personalized results are okay with me, as long as I can easily turn personalization off.

politicized results will never be okay with me.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

if you wanna fuck with the recommendations other people get from google/amazon/other sites, when you're messaging them, add a word in white text. if this happens enough times then they'll start getting ads with that thing in white text. so like, maybe potato chips or a 2x4. or lube. these are all options

i made the thread about news source bias because facebook recommended me a political video that i agreed with, and then i realized that facebook knew my political leanings and i was like "oh im only gettng the info i wanna read"

not to call out a specific user or anything but arch0wl's feed on the other hand is full of stories that make me go "why is this important" "i've never heard about this" "why" and i suspect the same thing goes down with him
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 08-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: minor spelling mistake
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

I have a pretty easy time imaginging why the stuff on your feed is important to other people and am usually familiar with the issues

except when it's related to princeton and then I'm like [meme with black guy squinting and tons of question marks]
Old 08-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

yeah that's because i'm cool and have a well-rounded opinion alfredo big mac

edit: it's funny how you like memes with black people in them given how white you are
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 08-26-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

idk, black people are great at comedy

source: you
Old 08-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Old 08-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
dadcop2
FFR Player

search "white inventors" in images lmao
dadcop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

uhhhhh
Old 08-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #16
choof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post

one example of #2 was when you could search on spanish google for "american inventors" and receive one list, but if you googled the same term on english google you'd get a list that looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-cbbVZkuY
for a black inventor, the fact that they are black is noteworthy, so mentioning "white" within the same page is almost sure to happen. something like "all the previous winners were white, making *insert black inventor here* the first african-american to win the award."
a search engine also won't find many mentions of inventors such as tesla or frank whitton being white. if you want to find them (or any other white inventor), you google their nationality, not their skin color. guess how many black inventors pop up when you look for "serbian inventors" or "english inventors?"
so no, the "white inventor" thing isn't a result of ideological or political scrubbing, it's a result of search engine optimization. hence why you get this result on nearly every english search engine out there.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #17
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
for a black inventor, the fact that they are black is noteworthy, so mentioning "white" within the same page is almost sure to happen. something like "all the previous winners were white, making *insert black inventor here* the first african-american to win the award."
a search engine also won't find many mentions of inventors such as tesla or frank whitton being white. if you want to find them (or any other white inventor), you google their nationality, not their skin color. guess how many black inventors pop up when you look for "serbian inventors" or "english inventors?"
so no, the "white inventor" thing isn't a result of ideological or political scrubbing, it's a result of search engine optimization. hence why you get this result on nearly every english search engine out there.
Nice one, I wouldn't have thought of it this way.
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
choof
Banned

Quote:
did you even click on any of the images? did you scroll at all? the first one for me is Juan de Pareja, who is spanish, not black. most of the other paintings of black people near the top are all from an exhibit called "Revealing the African Presence in Renaissance Europe" that ran a few years ago. and if you're so upset about paintings of black people then scroll your ass down because those results get really thin, really quick. it's almost like search engines aggregate more recent and popular results and puts them at the top.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #19
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
it's the mayocide multiculturalism conspiracy

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
most of the other paintings of black people near the top are all from an exhibit called "Revealing the African Presence in Renaissance Europe" that ran a few years ago.
yes, well, the mona lisa and whatnot should be toward the top of what someone searches for "european art", or at least that seems self-evident to me and it's odd that this would be toward the top of search of this kind.

search engine optimization is fine, but this appears to go beyond that.

and no, I am not
"""upset about paintings of black people"""
that's... clearly not what I'm objecting to. if it was, my dating history would leave a lot to be accounted for.

politicization could go the other way, too -- forcing paintings of any kind into search results when they don't belong there would be objectionable. had google been populated by 2006-era republicans, the search results would probably prioritize christian artists over all else.

politicization is bad. optimization is fine.