die

i'm on stage "invest" so i'll see you guys in 25 years
Old 06-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #142
DotKritic
Forum User

Default Re: life story thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotKritic View Post
I currently work for Amazon. Going to University for Art History, Health, or Communications starting Fall 2020.
UPDATE: Still at Amazon (surprisingly). Fall 2020 degree stated above was scrapped after my application was denied. Tried Purdue University Global for Supply Chain Management & Logistics this past May. Scrapping that after the term is up next month. and solely going for my Combination Welder - Certificate of Technology degree from a local community college this fall. I don't really see a future with Amazon if I can't get promoted by next spring (when I plan on wrapping up my welder degree). Welding can bring in some great money.

Rolling over that 401(k) whenever I leave.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004

Last edited by DotKritic; 06-16-2020 at 01:11 PM..
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #143
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
It feels like the FFR community is much more open about very personal life details than any other online community I've looked at it or been in. I haven't read the whole thread yet but it's all been very interesting so far. And it also makes me want to share my own life story.
good point I deleted all of my long posts itt because of it
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #144
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Long time no see I think the last time I was active in the community was when I was in my junior year of undergraduate (about 7 years ago). Here's what happened to me:

- Completed my bachelors degree in mathematics while I was abroad at Budapest, Hungary.
- Enrolled in Ph.D. mathematics program but decided to quit it because I wasn't ready to go into a research career due to personal issues
- Moved to Orange County, California for a temporary teaching position in mathematics. Met a roommate who introduced me to data science.
- Moved back home to NYC to complete a data science bootcamp and to work as a data engineer in finance
- Enrolled in my second Masters program to update my quantitative and gain technical skills for the industry.
- Moved to DC (where I'm currently based) to continue my data science career in consulting with government clients

Here and there, I have done a handful of freelancing projects in research and data science, built my personal website, dated a handful of women and found myself in a relationship, spent time and go on vacation with my friends and family (most recently New Orleans with friends before pandemic lockdown), and played League from time to time. Now I'm fitting FFR back in my busy schedule to see how rusty I am and to reconnect with some old friends. I probably won't be as serious as I was before, but I'll play the game to mentally destress via bashing my fingers against the keyboard.

Last edited by iironiic; 06-16-2020 at 03:00 PM..
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #145
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

eh why not

since my last post, i became a citizen 8). i saw my brother at the ceremony and was mentally gone for a bit, but i was in treatment so i was able to deal. i tried rekindling a relationship with my parents but that never truly worked out. in october i came out to them, which was as bad as it could've been. one of my friends from treatment tried to get me back into comedy, and i did my first set since getting sober on my mom. it went well, but it was kinda dark. after that, i started getting more serious about comedy and started hitting up local comedy clubs in the twin cities. i started going to therapy pretty regularly because i still wasn't okay after my life legit blowing up. my dad got so depressed after i came out that he yeeted off to somalia, where he still is.

i finished treatment in december, and that meant that treatment wasn't paying for my housing anymore. i thought i'd be okay, since i had a few part-time gigs, but i didn't count on the holidays being a hard time to make money. i spent that month not knowing if i was gonna be able to make my sober house's rent in jan and mentally prepping myself to be homeless. one of my last-ditch efforts was getting a job at target, which is where i still work, but i didn't start until late january anyways.

once it was pretty obvious i wasn't gonna get enough money i applied for emergency assistance through the government, and on new years eve i was approved. i was on the streets a week later anyways, because the check didn't go directly to my sober house owner and instead to the actual owner of the house-- it was some bullshit. i spent a night in a shelter and the following morning asked the govt center to talk to my sober house owner and i was let back in. i came down with the flu a couple days later and was in bed for a week. i didn't get to start working again until late jan, which was w a y too late to make a paycheck to pay rent, so once again i was screwed. i asked my sober house owner if she could wait a week. she declined and told me to ask family or friends for money-- i must have money, right? because i went to princeton, so i have "RICH PRINCETON FRIENDS." i gave her a big no and she gave me 30 minutes to pack my shit (even though i still had a couple days until feb lawwdd i still hate this woman). i packed my shit while crying and cursing about my sober house owner to my roommates. they helped me get back into the shelter i went into last time.

i hopped on the bus to get there before it closed, but my phone died and i didn't have directions, which meant i wasn't even gonna make it there in time. i went into a restaurant to charge my phone and asked my sponsor if she could drive me there. and she responded by letting me sleep on her couch until i got on my feet again. she fucking saved me.

three weeks later i found the place i'm currently at (not a sober house, BLESS ugh). i worked two jobs-- one at target and one as a tutor-- and began saving up so that i'd never have to go through that again. when the pandemic hit i couldn't tutor anymore so i just work at target, which has been pretty nice honestly. i had my gripes with that tutoring gig, though it was good money not gonna lie.

my mom got in contact with me again to tell me that my sister was an alcoholic. she wanted my help because i fixed my own shit. my sister didn't know that i knew about her substance abuse issues though, so i was funneling advice through my mom. turned out that her husband was both physically and emotionally abusive, so i started telling my mom to get her out, but she refused because there were kids involved (same kids who see their dad beating their mom but alright). couple weeks later my sister was in the hospital because her husband attempted to kill her. he was in jail awaiting trial, but they dropped the charges on him because they have a family. anyways i was so freaking mad about this i refused to help my family through shit anymore. last i heard she still drank and was going in and out of treatments. whatever.

since then life's actually been like... stable. for the first time in YEARS there hasn't been some bullshit to go through and it's like SO NICE oh my god. like i'm a normal person. i mean there was a pandemic and the protests here recently, but that's the world going through stuff and not just me, you know? it's been good. i have no idea what to do from here, though.

i'm also still sober which has been awesome for me. wouldn't have thought that a year ago, damn. i'm a square

edit: there's like, some wild stories about the friends i've made in recovery but that didn't impact my life as much as it taught me some life lessons
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 06-16-2020 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: i type like an idiot when i don't edit. whoops
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #146
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

grats on the sobriety, i'm giving it a shot too
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #147
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

<3
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2020, 02:05 PM   #148
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
grats on the sobriety, i'm giving it a shot too
I messed up and relapsed after 18 days, gotta start over. That's probably the longest I've been sober in years though so aye
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2020, 03:21 PM   #149
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
I messed up and relapsed after 18 days, gotta start over. That's probably the longest I've been sober in years though so aye
the most important part is that you keep getting up so dont be hard on yourself
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 07-9-2020, 05:58 PM   #150
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
D.A.R.E. would be a lot more effective if they just livestreamed your life
unironically this continues to define my life before and during coronavirus, and it probably will after, all covid has done for me so far is given me severe cabin fever, rave withdrawals and actual longing for a meaningful relationship over random nihilistic sex and intoxicants for the first time in my life

besides that, i got my degree and commence my singular year of grad school next month, then hopefully I leave the shithole that is MA, go somewhere more poppin, get money and learn how to be a functioning human being instead of hating everyone almost as much as i hate myself

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-9-2020, 09:26 PM   #151
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

yo congrats on that bachelors!!!

edit: another life update for me-- I'm getting a license to be an addiction counselor
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 07-9-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Old 07-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #152
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
unironically this continues to define my life before and during coronavirus, and it probably will after, all covid has done for me so far is given me severe cabin fever, rave withdrawals and actual longing for a meaningful relationship over random nihilistic sex and intoxicants for the first time in my life

besides that, i got my degree and commence my singular year of grad school next month, then hopefully I leave the shithole that is MA, go somewhere more poppin, get money and learn how to be a functioning human being instead of hating everyone almost as much as i hate myself
congratulations!! from my experience, for some reason it emotionally feels a lot better to be employed than to be in school or unemployed. it eases a bit of the self-loathing to "feel like a contributing member of society" in a working capacity (this is probably just internalized capitalism speaking, but the feeling is real).

on a pragmatic level, employment leads to financial and lifestyle stability, which also feels really good. (compared against school or unemployment, where the year-to-year instability can grind against your soul). At any rate, stability in your life is a form of comfort, and if this stable state also makes you content and satisfied, that's a really good thing

EDIT: funnygurl I'm so proud of you, that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic

Last edited by DaBackpack; 07-10-2020 at 03:57 PM..
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:34 AM   #153
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

DABOOBITY BA DA BBBOOOOM DO DANANA

here we go again

who's gonna submit/update this time?

ight gn
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 12-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #154
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I want to submit
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #155
Bolth mannn
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

is here where i post extremely personal aspects of my life due to counselling being too expensive?
Old 12-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #156
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolth mannn View Post
is here where i post extremely personal aspects of my life due to counselling being too expensive?
so what's your life story bolthy

why are you in australia

ilikexd pls actually submit tho lol
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 12-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #157
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I dished out a lot of money this year due to circumstances that were beyond my control.

Pretty much that's my life story for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #158
mi40

im still on stage invest but i think i can retire before 36 so that's a thing
Old 12-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #159
Trogdor!!!!
Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
It feels like the FFR community is much more open about very personal life details than any other online community I've looked at it or been in. I haven't read the whole thread yet but it's all been very interesting so far. And it also makes me want to share my own life story.
Do it you won't

Nathan more like LAMEthan am I right guys
Trogdor!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:54 AM   #160
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi40 View Post
im still on stage invest but i think i can retire before 36 so that's a thing
wait what
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY