Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #1
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Pseudo-intellectuals

Not really a serious thread but I wanted to know if anyone knows of any "fake" intellectuals like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0

I love listening to this guy's nonsense dribble and delusions, and I want more. A while back in the chit chat board I posted a thread full of videos of idiots. This time, I want people who think they're smart and to someone that doesn't know what's going on sounds smart, but actually isn't.

In other words, I'm looking more for "Every object in spacetime includes the entirety of spacetime as a state-transition syntax according to which its next state is created." rather than "A painting had a painter, a watch had a watchmaker, therefore creation must have a creator."
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

define what distinguishes "real" intellectualism from "fake" intellectualism
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 AM   #3
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

"sounds smart, but actually isn't" is too vague, anyone can apply this label to anyone they disagree with
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

It's a loose definition, but basically I'm looking for people similar to the guy I linked.

Someone who "uses big words" but is usually wrong or doesn't actually understand what he's saying.
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

okay, you're still not using precise language

by "big words" you mean rare words, since "prig" is objectively a small word but it's a rare word and has nuanced meanings. you also probably don't just mean rare words but academic words, since I don't know what kind of smartness you think this person is striving for but I doubt it's the kind that invokes a lot of small-but-rare words

to even talk about people who are "fake intellectuals" you need to first make clear what you mean by "real" intellectuals, and you haven't done that. otherwise, you're asking us to do a lot of inferential work by trying to draw a contrast between people who are "actually smart", which is super vague and probably not discernable from your writing.

of course, people can think they know what you mean merely because they accept what you've concluded, but that's the same kind of false-agreement that happens when people say "[insert president] is ruining the country" and disagree for entirely different reasons.

"every object in spacetime includes the entirety of spacetime as a state-transition syntax according to which its next state is created" is not even that wordy of a sentence; he's asserting that the objects of spacetime include spacetime as a system that creates rules that guide transitions between states. I don't think this makes sense, but you're being unclear about how you think this wording is being used to "sound" smart, or what you mean by "smart", and you haven't established how you can draw that motive.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

dude I could spend time figuring out exactly what i want but this is a casual thread where im asking for entertainment material i dont think this is all necessary

if you have anything that's even remotely close to what I'm looking for just post it
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
macchabee
FFR Player
 
macchabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to macchabee
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
dude I could spend time figuring out exactly what i want but this is a casual thread where im asking for entertainment material i dont think this is all necessary

if you have anything that's even remotely close to what I'm looking for just post it
Perhaps instead of getting uppity when someone responds to your post with critical thinking, post somewhere other than the Critical Thinking thread?

Edit: Though if you're looking for something hilariously pseudo-intellectual and cringe-worthy, you could always try watching this.
__________________

Last edited by macchabee; 05-27-2014 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: addendum
macchabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #8
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
this is a casual thread where im asking for entertainment material
and this is a forum where you think about things. if you find the act of thinking about things uncomfortable, there are at least two forums to suit your wants. namely:

1. http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...splay.php?f=17
2. http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...splay.php?f=70
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #9
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchabee View Post
Perhaps instead of getting uppity when someone responds to your post with critical thinking, post somewhere other than the Critical Thinking thread?
I did specify that this wasn't a serious thread, and the reason why I went here instead of chit chat is because I felt the audience here would be better judges of who is actually smart versus who is trying to be smart and isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchabee View Post
Edit: Though if you're looking for something hilariously pseudo-intellectual and cringe-worthy, you could always try watching this.
I actually enjoy this show, and it's not what I'm looking for either. These are scripted shows done by actors, and so there's really no realization of any incompetent/delusional characters when the writers do moderate research and the technical material is spaced out and delivered as a comedy.

I want people who think they're brilliant but are actually full of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
and this is a forum where you think about things. if you find the act of thinking about things uncomfortable,
are you really gonna pull this card on me right now
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 276
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

What would you think of this?

MracY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

"are you really" is a form of rhetorical dismissal that sets up a reply chain where the next reply is something that question's the sayer's competence without actually rebutting the claim, such as "wow" or "you're an idiot" or "you must be trolling."

anyway, you did give a rebuttal to essentially the same statement, which was:

"I felt the audience here would be better judges of who is actually smart versus who is trying to be smart and isn't."

now, if you think we have better judgment of what "smart" is, please tell me why you think my first response to you was not an exercise of that judgment

because it is, in fact. I do think we have a more precise idea of what "smart" means here, and I don't think my idea of "smart" has anything to do with how you're defining it, which is why I asked you to be more clear about what you mean.

you are in other words reacting against people exercising the same criteria you sought out.

the only way I could see anyone being "pseudo intellectual" is if they were trying to feign academic credentials, but chris langan doesn't seem to be doing that.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 276
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

I wouldn't say you are doing a bad thing by pointing out the nuances about the word 'intellectual', Arch0wl.
However, I would say your tone is too condescending. I suggest using a more nuanced tone as well, or making your point in another way.
MracY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch0wl View Post
now, if you think we have better judgment of what "smart" is, please tell me why you think my first response to you was not an exercise of that judgment

because it is, in fact. I do think we have a more precise idea of what "smart" means here, and I don't think my idea of "smart" has anything to do with how you're defining it, which is why I asked you to be more clear about what you mean.
Sigh, fair enough. I'll be a bit more specific, but part of the reason why I didn't want to go deeper into this is because I wanted to keep the interpretation of "smart" open, as it can be assessed in many different ways. The way you brought up these points made it sound like you were nit-picking specifically to be a smartass.

I consider a "real" intellectual to be someone whose work is meaningful and contributes to the academic community. I wish I could just say "anyone whose work isn't stupid" because I want to leave open ideas of value outside of this scope, but this is the only description I can think of that accurately and descriptively divides the two groups.

I want people that talk nonsense or are wrong about what they think they know, but not someone who you could immediately dismiss as an idiot. I'm talking about someone who could fool idiots into thinking they were smart.

Deepak Chopra for example, is on the grey line between these two boundaries, as the things he says can easily be shown to be ridiculous, but he is successful at convincing millions that he is an expert.
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Age: 28
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

ITT pseudo-intellectuals

but gj Arch this thread sucks and you've done a fantastic job explaining why
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #15
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

all i wanted for christmas was to listen to nutjobs

santa must hate me
__________________
Rhythm Simulation Guide
Comments, criticism, suggestions, contributions, etc. are all welcome.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author
 
DigitalS3r4ph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyperbolic Simfile Chamber
Age: 33
Posts: 979
Send a message via AIM to DigitalS3r4ph Send a message via MSN to DigitalS3r4ph
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
Deepak Chopra for example, is on the grey line between these two boundaries, as the things he says can easily be shown to be ridiculous, but he is successful at convincing millions that he is an expert.
I feel like Deepak Chopra is a poor example to use in this case as his work primarily involves conversation of the esoteric, and could be an philosophical intellectual in his own right, hence why he has such a large following; whereas someone like Michio Kaku is a communicator in theoretical physics grounded in science. Apples to oranges (Or Green Apples to Red Apples depending on how you want to argue it).


I believe this is more along the lines of what you were looking for? Merry Christmas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd1cqRu0mdw

Arch0wl's pretty much got this thread summed up though, lol.
__________________

PM me if you find the secret.

Last edited by DigitalS3r4ph; 05-27-2014 at 06:56 AM..
DigitalS3r4ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #17
hi19hi19
lol happy
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
hi19hi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DESTINY
Age: 29
Posts: 12,050
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Honestly Arch is right, what the hell is this shit doing in Critical Thinking.

Linking stupid shit that has no factual basis is basically the exact opposite of this forum's purpose.
__________________



hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
MracY
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 276
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

I wanted to make conversation first, but that seems not possible now, so I'll say it here.

Isn't it distasteful to gain pleasure from listening to badly structured logic in the first place?
What kind of pleasure do you derive from that?
Because it feels good to be intelligent yourself?

Long ago I used to lead debates, so I think I can assert this: more often than not, people dismiss someone's point as unintelligent when they don't properly understand it.
It's very easy to misinterpret someone's point because something is ill-defined or people misunderstand the fundament of someone's argument.
Because of this, it's necessary to be properly nuanced, or you become illusioned about your own intelligence.
MracY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer
 
ScylaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FRANCE
Age: 26
Posts: 1,044
Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Generally you spot ~pseudo-intellectual~ talks when the speaker use a convoluted syntax to voice complete platitudes or banalities.
And it's not because you intuitively think they're "showing off" (well they ~maybe~ do but that's not the problem), but because their speech is way to complex compared to the blatant plainness of their idea.

It's really hard to prove somebody is actually talking nonsense. Hegel is nonsense, Heidegger is nonsense, and so on. Generally you have to go deeper and directly talk with the person, or actually try to figure out how this could make sense for all I know, sorting out their train of thought and shit.
I mean even Kant can seem completely hermetic at first, yet he's as clear as spring water.

Now I don't know anything about Langan and I just know he's an autodidact, not a philosopher with academic recognition, but giving the benefit of the doubt is a completely free move.
__________________
Suimega is my present username!!! (b-but feel free to call me scylaax anyway) | https://suimega.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by ScylaX; 05-27-2014 at 07:12 AM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #20
Arch0wl
Banned
FFR Simfile Author
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: fb.com/a.macdonald.iv
Age: 32
Posts: 6,367
Default Re: Pseudo-intellectuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MracY View Post
However, I would say your tone is too condescending. I suggest using a more nuanced tone as well, or making your point in another way.
frankly, you're right. I have a particular frustration with "pseudointellectual" because it's like the smart person's version of "hater" or the internet cynic's version of "stupid" and is a crutch for people who don't want to be more descriptive about what it is they find offputting, so someone is deemed a "fake smart person" in lieu of this. I also have a particular frustration with it because actual, real writings that deserve to be taken seriously (such as those in the humanities) are deemed this, which is ridiculous for reasons I hope you can think of on your own as they're too numerous to list here.

so, in short, I shouldn't have indulged my frustrations to the extent that it came out in text and I apologize.
Arch0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution