Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Competitive Smash Bros.

Does anyone else play?

I just started getting into Melee again and I think I might do some locals and such next month. I have a lot of tech skill to learn first though.
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Default Re: Competitive Smash Bros.

I really want to get into the scene, but being that i'm 17, and I don't have any local communities near me on Long Island, it's really hard to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Poison-
Nope

Check Smashboards. I'm sure there's stuff going on at least monthly over there. The community is surprisingly active with tournaments.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Check Smashboards. I'm sure there's stuff going on at least monthly over there. The community is surprisingly active with tournaments.
I'll do that. Again, only 17, so travel/community events like this are hard for me to do still, it holds me back D: But I will definitely take a look at Smashboards.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Poison-
Nope

The ending of this video is one of the sickest things I've ever seen.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Quote:
The ending of this video is one of the sickest things I've ever seen.
Oh my god I watched that live, it was the most ridiculous things I have ever watched.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

still the greatest fighting game of all time
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
loop123456
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to loop123456

Went to a local this weekend. Had a lot of fun and did well (for me)

loop123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #9
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Does anyone else play?

I just started getting into Melee again and I think I might do some locals and such next month. I have a lot of tech skill to learn first though.
You bet. Funny enough I've actually never owned the game and beat the best falco in dallas this week in a friendly, but I had to play my jigglypuff hbox style when I'd much rather play a more aggressive mango style. I've tried all day today to get my own copy, but it's been ridiculously difficult. The scene is blowing up so hard right now and I need to do what I can to take my game to the next level.

And that video lmfao sometimes styling just isn't worth it but that was some ridic tech skill.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
Poison-
Nope

I never owned the game before either haha. I always just played at a friends house. I haven't been to a tournament since I was like 13 so it'll all be pretty new to me. I ordered my own copy which should arrive this week.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

My L cancelling game isn't nearly what I need it to be and I'm having a hard time breaking bad habits against certain characters that are supposed to be in jigglypuffs favor like crouch cancelling to rest against a sheik who's dashing forward to grab me. Once I actually have the game and am able to play it daily as opposed to whenever I get to my friends I intend to devote all my time to improving my skill. I'm trying not to be so reliant on jigglypuff either. I used to be much more technical with falco and don't know what happened. Once I fine tune my puff I'm going to work on my falco. I don't want to be a one tricky pony.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Yea my relative skill level is at the top with my friends, but is still the gutters of actual competitive smash, like, I know how to wavedash, and I do use it occasionally when I as Luigi, but I can't seem to make use of it when I play as Peach. I still don't quite understand DI/Crouch Cancelling/L-Cancelling. Rather, I know what they are, but I don't know how to execute them. It really holds me back.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

I know how to do all those things just fine, but implementing them into a fast paced exchange effectively is completely different.

Crouch cancelling is simple in execution, but can be very tricky when caught up in your own rhythm. It is simply pressing down to crouch which greatly reduces the impact of an attack launching you and in some cases with certain attacks, will keep you at a stand still. What's tricky about it, is you have to predict that in a certain situation, it is better to negate the force of an opponents attack by crouching cancelling, to take advantage of the punish you can administer afterwards.

L cancelling has to be done in order to reduce the lag of an aerial attack as to not be caught up in your characters pace when playing against those who use it. It is essential. You're a sitting duck if you're playing against speedy characters especially if you're not L cancelling to keep up with the speed of those characters. Go into training mode and just practice pressing L or R right before your character hits the ground after using an aerial that has considerable lag, until you notice the difference of the lag reduction and then feel like you've got the timing down. Then start working on aerials that are quicker with less lag to gradually get the timing down more and more. The problem I have is following up after L cancelling because of the way I hold and use the controller. It's just habits i'm trying to work through.

DI is pretty difficult to master, and in some cases is not even your best option. It is always your best option of course, when your percentage is high enough that you would usually die from being launched off the screen but instead, through knowledge of the direction in which any certain attack will send you (which is something you will have to learn for every single attack to be able to DI effectively) you change the intended trajectory.

If you are knocked horizontally, hold the control stick diagonally upwards in the opposite direction the character has been knocked. This results in a more upwards trajectory and will save you from being launched directly horizontal to your death.

If you're knocked vertically, you'll hold the control stick either left or right. This results in a more diagonal trajectory sending you in a more horizontal manner than originally intended saving you from being launched directly vertical to your death.

If you'd like me to explain any of these things more thoroughly, I'd be more than willing on skype. Every character is different and the effects these things have vary between certain match ups which requires knowledge of the game and said match ups.

Last edited by korny; 03-24-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
I know how to do all those things just fine, but implementing them into a fast paced exchange effectively is completely different.

Crouch cancelling is simple in execution, but can be very tricky when caught up in your own rhythm. It is simply pressing down to crouch which greatly reduces the impact of an attack launching you and in some cases with certain attacks, will keep you at a stand still. What's tricky about it, is you have to predict that in a certain situation, it is better to negate the force of an opponents attack by crouching cancelling, to take advantage of the punish you can administer afterwards.

L cancelling has to be done in order to reduce the lag of an aerial attack as to not be caught up in your characters pace when playing against those who use it. It is essential. You're a sitting duck if you're playing against speedy characters especially if you're not L cancelling to keep up with the speed of those characters. Go into training mode and just practice pressing L or R right before your character hits the ground after using an aerial that has considerable lag, until you notice the difference of the lag reduction and then feel like you've got the timing down. Then start working on aerials that are quicker with less lag to gradually get the timing down more and more. The problem I have is following up after L cancelling because of the way I hold and use the controller. It's just habits i'm trying to work through.

DI is pretty difficult to master, and in some cases is not even your best option. It is always your best option of course, when your percentage is high enough that you would usually die from being launched off the screen but instead, through knowledge of the direction in which any certain attack will send you (which is something you will have to learn for every single attack to be able to DI effectively) you change the intended trajectory.

If you are knocked horizontally, hold the control stick diagonally upwards in the opposite direction the character has been knocked. This results in a more upwards trajectory and will save you from being launched directly horizontal to your death.

If you're knocked vertically, you'll hold the control stick either left or right. This results in a more diagonal trajectory sending you in a more horizontal manner than originally intended saving you from being launched directly vertical to your death.

If you'd like me to explain any of these things more thoroughly, I'd be more than willing on skype. Every character is different and the effects these things have vary between certain match ups which requires knowledge of the game and said match ups.
that would actually be pretty sick. What's your skype? I'd love to talk smash with you there.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

sure man, jmw3113
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Been in the local scene for the past year. Been placing decently some locals considering it's fucking stacked over here in central florida (hbox, plup, colbol, gahtzu, wizzy, etc).

Also play some dolphin netplay seldomly. Let me know if anyone wants to play sometime through that.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Wish i could play on dolphin netplay but have no computer that would let me be able to
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticklydude View Post
Been in the local scene for the past year. Been placing decently some locals considering it's fucking stacked over here in central florida (hbox, plup, colbol, gahtzu, wizzy, etc).

Also play some dolphin netplay seldomly. Let me know if anyone wants to play sometime through that.
do you play with hbox and the others regularly? Or do you rarely get the chance to? I'm curious since it looks like I'm going to my first smash event at Stony Brook University and I want to get as much practice/training time in with the better players as I can. Obviously I can't spend all day with someone like VGBC|Hax, but as I go around I want to be able to see how things go.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo man im awesome View Post
do you play with hbox and the others regularly? Or do you rarely get the chance to? I'm curious since it looks like I'm going to my first smash event at Stony Brook University and I want to get as much practice/training time in with the better players as I can. Obviously I can't spend all day with someone like VGBC|Hax, but as I go around I want to be able to see how things go.
I rarely get to play hbox since he goes to school at UF which is like two hours away. I get to play the others more often.

Play friendlies with everyone when you go. It's a big learning experience. I went to my first smash tourney over here with dAnceguy a year ago and got four stocked in both my matches lool.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #20
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Yeah bro, when you're playing with the best of the best, 4 stocks happen, and it's nothing to be ashamed about. They're just that good.