Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 AM   #1
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3
Default PS4 Owners, Halp.

So I want to buy a PS4 when my tax refund money comes in, which will be sometime during the month of May.

The question is, is now the right time? Should I wait? The only upcoming games I know about and truly want right now are The Crew and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Any other good ones worth picking up? Enough to justify a new game system?

Should I buy new or used? Is this going to be like the PS3 where the launch models have advantages and disadvantages that later (2015ish) models won't?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight
Default Re: PS4 Owners, Halp.

You could wait unless you absolutely want to play Wolfenstein. Because all the next batch of good games aren't coming out til late summer.

Watch Dogs is going to be ridiculously good. The map is gigantic, disgustingly accurate, and you can basically do almost anything in the game. If you want to hack a phone while sitting on top of The Bean, you can do that. It's definitely something to keep in mind.

Not sure if you're a Halo fan, but Destiny is coming out in September.

Elder Scrolls Online? I mean.. you have to pay per month but I've heard that it's absolutely ridiculous from people who tried the beta. Oh and while on the topic of RPGs, Child of Light looks and sounds amazing.

Also the new Batman game to redeem the series will be coming out eventually~*~* as will Mass Effect 4. Idk, I haven't tried out too many of the current games but the demo for Knack was hella fun.

You might as well go with new. Used isn't going to get you that much of a better price and finding a used PS4 is extremely rare. We got one in a week ago and literally like two customers later it was gone. It's difficult to keep in stock. PS4 is very possibly working on a streaming system to make PS3 games available on PS4, so if you have the PS3 don't lose all hope. The system itself is pretty solid, I haven't heard any major complaints yet, but I can't speak for future models obviously~* It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Last edited by DarknessXoXLight; 04-15-2014 at 05:01 AM..
DarknessXoXLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #3
TonyFFR
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to TonyFFR

I personally wouldn't buy a PS4. My friends want me to get it.. But honestly I don't see any games I'd play. PS4 did have launch issues but there weren't many. I'm waiting for the second gen PS4 to come out before I buy. I'm only looking forward to Drive Club and The Crew (Hey, add me when it comes c right now. If you think about it, PS2 stopped making games in 2010, so I'm sure PS3 will last quite a while too. First gen PS3 did have advantages but easily YLOD'd over age. It happened to mine, and it was a CFW PS3 too!! :c

You're getting a PS4 for games that aren't out yet? And if you're a Call of Duty player.. Getting a PS4 just for that is NOT worth it, imo. I was really excited for Octodad, but it came out on Steam first so I just ended up getting it for my PC.

I think you should wait on a PS4. Ultimately up to you though.
TonyFFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Crashfan3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Crashfan3 Send a message via Skype™ to Crashfan3

I was living behind the times until I got super lucky on Craigslist and picked up a 60GB CECHA-01 PS3, backwards compatible, with a bunch of controllers, games, and other stuff for $160. It has *never been repaired*, with a January 2007 manufacture date stamped on it.

Anyway, I know the PS3 still has some life left in it, but I just found out that the online multiplayer for Gran Turismo 5 is about to be shut down, even though GT6 *just* came out. That's what I'm a bit worried about: a lot of games will continue to be pumped out for the system (can't wait for Tales of Xillia 2!!) but the online support will become sketchy as the system continues to age. I rarely play online, but as more and more games become reliant on their online counterparts (like GT5 does) this is something I need to consider. Games like MAG and Defiance will soon be as valuable as AOL trial discs from the checkout line at the supermarket, and I think we're going to see this kind of thing more and more in the PS4/XboxOne era.

edit: One thing that's been on the back of my mind lately is how playable a PS3 will be in, say, 2020... or 2025? Given that my PS3 is backwards compatible, I put my PS2 and PS1 in storage due to limited space at my home. As long as I can still use it to play retro games and PS3 games that don't require online connection ten years down the road, I'll be okay.

Last edited by Crashfan3; 04-15-2014 at 06:27 AM..
Crashfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
RagedBerserker
Hello Kitty
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Yeah, I have a PS4 and honestly... I have just been playing the waiting game for games to come out. I'm interested in games like Evolve, Destiny, Watch Dogs, The Witcher 3, Elder Scrolls Online, The Order: 1886, Final Fantasy XV and Batman: Arkham Knight. But, most of these games are slated for a release that really isn't for quite some time.

With that said, I am also interested in the PlayStation Now streaming service that they plan to have up. It will be nice to stream some PS3 games that I have yet to play (since I own an XBox 360) but I hope the streaming won't mean a lagging/shitty gaming experience. The other problem here is that, obviously, it isn't up yet.. so I am still waiting for that as well.

I'm just an old boy now
RagedBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

my roommate got a PS4 as an unexpected Christmas gift, so it's sitting in my living room. we used it to play Madden for an hour once. that's it.

I looked through the list of games, scratched my head, and then powered off the console. I wouldn't buy one yet. the software library hasn't arrived.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote