Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television

Old 07-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

Default somthing intresting about 4kids

What I read from wikipedia was this: Kahn stated that the reason why One Piece was edited was to appeal to the masses. I'm sure that everyone knows that, but the masses are really the children. What is interesting, though, is that he also claims that later on, he will distribute uncut anime, but the date is unknown. This made me think: if 4Kids! does release uncut anime again, then I will respect them more, because I don't respect them at all.

But thats old news.

They don't edit for the masses, Naruto was edited for the masses, Bobobo was edited for the masses, even Zatch Bell (which had a pretty messed up dub, but not on the level of One Piece) was edited for the masses.

editing for the masses means making it suitable for tv, and 4kids goes WELL beyond what is necessary to get a show on tv.I don't see why the FCC would have a problem with labels on signs, books, and jars.....especially when they have very basic words on them.

Editing out anything shaped like a cross.....ya know I really don't think thats necessary at all because there HAVE been shows that have had cross shaped items in them before. Come on, Digimon was full of religious references! (and even that dub was heavily edited)

Editing out breast lines.....yeah not necessary to get it on tv

Pretty much all you need to do in order to get a show ready for "the masses" is edit out any innapropriate language (for the timeslot) edit out an excess blood, and remove any scene of extreme sexuality or violence.

No, 4kids doesn't edit One Piece for the masses, they edit it to thei rown personal standards of what is necessary.4kids edited Pokemon for the masses, and that dub was just fine, but One Piece......no

Al Kahn has also stated that he feels anime not only lends itself ot a child market (someone tell him about Adult Swim which is number one in its timeslot),

that manga own't sell because kids don't read (yeah, explain Naruto and Fruits Basket being on the top 100 book list of America)

that anime MUST be westernized in order for it to scueed in America (oh yeah, Naruto is doomed to failure in America because all its Japanese references were removed.....not, and has anyone showed him the rest of the Toonami lineup? or Adult Swim? or even g4's anime unleashed for that matter (which edits NOTHING))

And in regards to the uncut dvds, they're supposed to make uncut versions of ALL their anime series. HOWEVER they've only released uncut Shaman King and Yugioh, both of which they stopped making after a while for no reason.Maybe one day when 4kids is desperate for cash they'll start churning out the unedited dvds, but they feel it isn't necessary.

They know how we feel about them and their little company, but they call us "elitist anime fans" even though most of us aren't. We just want our show to not get ****ed up.(or worse)

there is hope however...

apparently, an insider at 4kids revealed that they're looking at the uncut Naruto dvds Viz is releasing.they're wondering if those will suceed or not, and maybe they'll start doing similiar things with their anime (primarily focused on One Piece.)

One Piece was such a huge failure for them (their own **** fault) that they have no idea what to do with themselves.they continue to lose money, and while One Piece could've been HUGE they chose to mess it all up.

Since they have the license for quite some time, they have 3 options:

1- fix it, once Alabasta finishes airing start making a better dub for Jaya and beyond (fix as in stop the needles edits, episode cuts, and story changes, oh and keep the old(original) music) and hope it succeeds on Toonami

2- forget about it, don't do anythign One Piece related and just wait until the license expires

3- sell One Piece to someone willing to take a risk on it and hope that whoever gets it can do some justice to it

and thus ends my rant.
YouAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
falconsfan14
Banned

Send a message via AIM to falconsfan14
Default Re: somthing intresting about 4kids

oh no shes back! RUN!
falconsfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

I'm going to respond seriously, and ignore, not only who posted the thread, but also, the fact that it doesn't match up with what I'd expect from them and instead leads me to believe it's a copy paste.

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean. The whole Dragonball series was ****ed up so bad by Funimation. I can't even go into detail over how ****ed up it was, simply because I know no one wants to hear it. Suffice it to say, they did a ****ing super ****ty job and I have no idea how else to say it.

Basically, all anime that's marketed in the mainstream is going to be ****ed up though. That's just the way it is and the way it will likely always be. Anime will always be directed at little kids, even anime which is intended for teenagers or young adults in the original airings in Japan. The American companies simply don't care. They don't see cartoons as a serious medium which can appeal to an older audience.

Thankfully there are some slightly less mainstream forces aiding the cause. I know you mentioned Adult Swim. They're probably the #1 resource for dubs which have not been seriously butchered. In some cases, the dubs actually come out holding very true to the original; most noteably in my mind is FLCL, in which there was no heavy editting and the only editting I know of was to basic pop culture references or Japanese language puns. There really are many anime on Adult Swim which really do appeal to the older audience, and hopefully the distrubuters will see this.

All we can really do is wait and hope that the people doing the ****ty editting and dubbing will realize that they not only can sell anime to an older audience, but they'd probably also save money in not having to cut everything up.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
plasmix
FFR Player

w/e

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/271/

Last edited by plasmix; 07-13-2006 at 11:29 PM..
plasmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Pie...ip_and_Editing

Read.

Quote:
In producing a version of One Piece for the North American market, 4Kids made a number of changes to the property. These alterations include (but are not necessarily limited to):

* Cutting longer scenes for time, editing episodes together, and skipping entire story arcs, including those which were originally important to the progression of the plot. As of June 2006, the equivalent of 32 episodes of material had been cut from what were originally 102 episodes, resulting in roughly 31% of the series being eliminated. Only eight of these episodes are completely filler. Among the removed was the entire Little Garden Arc; this arc introduced several characters that would later appear in the series as well as being the source of Nami's illness that would force the detour to Drum Island. It has been speculated that a great part of the cutting was due to a desire to introduce the highly-marketable Chopper as soon as possible (seemingly supported by the number of episodes completely cut holding steady after this point), although it has never been confirmed. There is also the possiblity that 4Kids wanted to forego Mr. 3's sadistic nature.
* Removing the original symphonic score and replacing it with music produced on a synthesizer.
* Replacing the opening theme (originally a succession of upbeat pop songs) with a rap theme (even though original promos for the series used the original Japanese theme dubbed into English).
* Altering much of the dialog from its original intent, filling each episode with pun-based humor, and adding extraneous lines during moments of silence.
* Removing or changing anything suggestive of alcohol or tobacco use. This includes the digital alteration of Sanji's cigarette (which is turned into a lollipop) and the complete erasure of the two cigars in the mouth of Captain Smoker (who himself is renamed "Chaser").
* Although most firearms in the series are still referred to as such and still shoot bullets, the great majority have been cosmetically altered to look less realistic. Rifles belonging to Naval Marines have been altered to look more like large water pistols while most other guns are simply recolored. Initially, guns such as Helmeppo's pistol (see image to the right) were changed into other objects altogether, though this has become less common as the series progresses.

* Editing of more "intense" scenes to lessen or eliminate the peril to the characters (including the removal of nearly all blood, many stated or implied deaths, and much of the explicit violence). Examples include Kuina's death from falling down stairs (changed to being beaten up by someone she defeated) and Belle-Mère's murder in front of Nami being changed to being "taken to Arlong's dungeon" and never heard from again.
* Removing all Japanese (and most of the English) text, as well as altering every instance of the Navy's emblem (which reads "MARINE") to say "NAVY".
* Changing the skin colors of some characters to downplay supposed racial stereotypes.

Necessary change, mirite

PS - THIS IS THE REASON EVERYONE HATES ONE PIECE.

I can assure you it's one of the best shows you will ever see. Just get the first 32 episodes or so. That covers all of the primary cast of characters.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
T0rajir0u
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Yes, VGCats said it best.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
super-smashman
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to super-smashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
Suffice it to say, they did a ****ing super ****ty job and I have no idea how else to say it.
Super ****ty Jin.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rajir0u
Yes, VGCats said it best.

no fair,i was about to post that
Old 07-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

One Piece'o crap.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

one piece sucks even in the original form

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #11
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

its still better than the crap that 4kids tries to shove down our throaths
Old 07-17-2006, 02:34 AM   #12
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

to anyone who cares....
THESE ARE THE USLESS EDITS THEY DID....

Old 07-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #13
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

Those are some X-treme edits.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
YouAreAwsome
FFR Player

gonna give sanji a damn sucker,wtf?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

I like how they change the color of clothing.

Totally worthwhile.

Anyway, nobody on this site will care. I don't really even care aside from the humor of seeing another anime licensing company butcher an anime. I haven't watched American television in over five years.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #16
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Stop whining about nothing. You have your subs, go watch those.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #17
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan
Stop whining about nothing. You have your subs, go watch those.
Yeah, but what of the people who don't have subs or a way to obtain them?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #18
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

Then they can learn to live with what they're given and be damn thankful they're getting anything at all.

If they didn't have the subs then they wouldn't have much (if any) basis for comparison anyway.

I'm tired of dub elitism. Oh my God, they ruined your favorite show. No one cares. The Ninja Nonsense dub is going to be terrible ("COWABUNGA!") but I'm not going to bitch because I have Shinobuden subs sitting on my computer. The Pani Poni Dash! dub is also going to be terrible simply because no one will understand 98% of the pop culture jokes but I'm not going to bitch because, again, I have subs sitting on my computer.

Whining is pointless and will never accomplish anything except for getting other people annoyed at how much you whine. Suck it up and deal with it, because if you have the subs Lord knows you have a great medium to do just that.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.

Last edited by Kilgamayan; 07-17-2006 at 11:25 PM..
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #19
tsutter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsutter

If they haven't watched subs then they won't mind dubs. I didn't watch subs for the first...8-9 months of my initial anime viewing, and didn't mind it at all. I had seen/heard them but didn't have any real preference. Hell, when I first started watching subs I'd mute the sound becuase listening to the voices bothered me. >_>

Although this might also explain my disdain for the blind dub hating retards. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.
[02:02:16] <Hayden> i carry the plastic i make it spastic when i put it in ya moms ass boy her **** is elastic when im finished in knee that slut in the jaw snap her back in to pieces i lay down the law cuz i gots no respect fo that ***** elixers **** seeing as he got double dick ****ed on dust 2 by an ingram at long A in pit
tsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #20
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

Any show that I've seen on TV without seeing the sub first,
is okay with me. But, when they gave the President in My-HiME
a texan/southern accent, I couldn't stand it. But I also can
imagine watching Trigun or Cowboy without the dub. But for
some it doesn't even matter, FLCL in particular.