Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Greatest NFL franchise?
Pittsburgh Steelers 6 20.69%
Dallas Cowboys 7 24.14%
Green Bay Packers 3 10.34%
New Englad Patriots 5 17.24%
Other, please specify in post. 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-7-2009, 12:33 AM   #21
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: NFL's greatest franchise.

CJ, super kid is pointing out that you did say 10 Super Bowls, when in reality it was 10 championship games; 8 of which were Super Bowls.

HOWEVER, the point still remains that with their 8 SUPER BOWL appearances, they still have more than the Steelers.

Now I'm not a fan of either, but I would have to pick the Cowboys over the Steelers. HOWEVER, Dallas is not my choice and here's my reasoning behind my choice, and why not the other 3.

Let's face it. True Pittsburgh has 6 Super Bowls: one of which they had about 17 horseshoes crammed up each players' butt AND barely made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, and the latest, off of a spectacular catch, but yet another lucksack. While they may have the most Super Bowl victories, won the most AFL/AFC championship games, and hosted more conference championship matches (with 10) than any other franchise, and have missed the playoffs only 13 times since 1972 (for all those not fluent in math, 23 appearances compared to 13), but this could be because of the division the Steelers play(ed) in. They have been in the AFC North since 2001 winning the division title 4 out of the 7 times. Their previous division, the AFC Central back when there were up to 6 teams in the division, had only one real source of competition in the Baltimore Ravens as Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Jacksonville aren't exactly stellar football material. Compare that to someone like the Cowboys who have to deal with AT LEAST one other playoff contender each year. The Giants, and Eagles are always a lock for a playoff spot every year along with the Cowboys, occasionally having all 3 make the playoffs. Their 4th division mate, the Redskins, may not be playoff material, but they have a decent team that can possibly make a run for it.

New England is only on that list thanks to one name: Tom Brady. And as of lately, Randy Moss. Had Drew Bledsoe not gotten injured in Week 2 of the 2001 campaign, we may never would have heard that name. Also, they have only been good since the beginning of the decade, as (with the exceptions of making it to Super Bowl XX where they lost to the Bears 46-10, as well as Super Bowl XXXI versus Green Bay which NE lost 35-21) they have had mediocre seasons at best. Not too mention, coach Belichek must've reached the bottom of his barrel of crack because some of the choices he's made this year have been questionable to the point of insanity.

Green Bay is a good choice to choose because of the dedicated fans and their cheeseheads, as well as having one of the most storied franchises (winners of the first 2 Super Bowls thanks to coach Vince Lombardi's genius) as well as having the most league championships with 12 (3 of them being Super Bowls) and with the exception of 2005's 4-12 record, they had a winning record every year since 1991. While that did stop in 2008 with a 6-10 record, 7 of those games were lost by 4 points or less. While this year may also be a disappointment, keep in mind that this is because their QB is getting no protection. However, this is not about now, this is about history as well. And while most of that history has been well documented in the past 20 years, namely because of a certain number 4 wearing, impossible-to-pronounce last name bearing individual, that does not undermine the fact that the green and yellow clad warriors of Lambeau Field have probably the longest and most storied history of any professional football franchise and for good reason.

Dallas has had their good years, most notably the 90's where they made the playoffs all but 2 years, and won 3 Super Bowls. The late 60's to early 80's were also notable as they missed the playoffs only once from 1966 to 1983, however only yielded 2 Super Bowl wins. The late 80's was the, how I say, downfall of the Cowboys, as from 1984-1990, only once did they make the playoffs (1985 when they won the division with a 10-6 record) and their best record in that timespan was 9-7 in '84 as they continued on with records of 7-9, 7-9, 3-13, 1-15, and 7-9 respectively. While they have picked it up since the turn of the millennium, they have not been outstanding with the exception of 2007's 13-3 record.

tl;dr version: If you go by Super Bowls: Pitt
Championships: Green Bay
History: Green Bay
Fanbase: Dallas
Don't even know why it's on the list: New England.

G. Bay is my pick.

PS. OSHI- almost lost this.
PPS. This essay brought to you by someone who's 3-4 hours away from the nearest NFL stadium AND across the border to the north. Yeah that's right, y'all just got upstaged by a Canadian.

Last edited by T-Force; 12-7-2009 at 12:38 AM..
T-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
cC@Zz
FFR Player

I would say that the best would be either Dallas or Pittsburgh as they have had the most success through many, many years, and have won many titles under different coaches. With the recent success of the Steelers I'd probably place them above the Cowboys.
Old 12-8-2009, 05:15 PM   #23
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to norsegod666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cC@Zz View Post
I would say that the best would be either Dallas or Pittsburgh as they have had the most success through many, many years, and have won many titles under different coaches. With the recent success of the Steelers I'd probably place them above the Cowboys.
You are basing the greatest franchise on how the team is doing today? What a dumbass thing to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zageron View Post
what
how theactual fuck

R YOU SURE YOU CAN"T SEE THIS?
norsegod666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 10:37 AM   #24
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsegod666 View Post
You are basing the greatest franchise on how the team is doing today? What a dumbass thing to do..
I believe you misunderstood my overall idea by stating that, but in a sense you're are right. I meant that the recent success of the Steelers has reeled them more super bowl wins than the Cowboys in their franchises history, thus I would place the franchise overall (throughout all their years) as the greatest franchise. I am not basing it solely on their success today as if their past success meant nothing, that would be a dumbass thing to do.
Old 12-9-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
fireking550
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to fireking550

I want to point something out to you people about New England, even though i am a Patriots fan, I believe we have only won an super bowls in the Brady Era, we never won one before that

Big Time Boston Fan, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots, beat that line-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblre View Post
New mission: I will attempt to get "Meep" banned from my school, as well.
fireking550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I believe you misunderstood my overall idea by stating that, but in a sense you're are right. I meant that the recent success of the Steelers has reeled them more super bowl wins than the Cowboys in their franchises history, thus I would place the franchise overall (throughout all their years) as the greatest franchise. I am not basing it solely on their success today as if their past success meant nothing, that would be a dumbass thing to do.
Well if we base the greatest franchise on how many times a team became NFL champions then the Packers win over the Steelers by far.

Quote:
what
how theactual fuck

Old 12-9-2009, 01:52 PM   #27
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P

I wonder why the Lions are still in the league
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 03:12 PM   #28
Patricoo
FFR Player

Dude, all this NFL crap is utter nonsense. Stop watching such mindless American dribble and support a sport the world actually plays. We wrongly call it Soccer. The world cup is coming up and none of you can really appreciate it. This American football is exactly the kind of chest-thumping that makes other countries think we're ignorant and intolerant and we should be supporting soccer instead.

Naw that sh*ts gay. Go Eagles!
Old 12-9-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricoo View Post
Go Eagles!
When is the last time the Eagles...oh...that's right...the only team in the NFC East without a ring...

Quote:
what
how theactual fuck

Old 12-9-2009, 03:20 PM   #30
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
When is the last time the Eagles...oh...that's right...the only team in the NFC East without a ring...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKGDmc1pUI
T-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-9-2009, 03:39 PM   #31
Patricoo
FFR Player

Quote:
You heartless bastard. Heartless. Bastard.

If this discussion about greatest franchises is only about greatest overall talent, then thats a bogus gauge. :P
Old 12-9-2009, 03:41 PM   #32
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

Other. The London Silly-nannies.
Old 12-9-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You heartless bastard. Heartless. Bastard.

If this discussion about greatest franchises is only about greatest overall talent, then thats a bogus gauge. :P
You cant really be considered a great franchise unless you can win the games that matter..just look at the Bears, they are a great franchise. Why? They have a total of 9 NFL Championships in their franchise history. Compare that to your beloved Eagles meager 3 championships since 1933...

Quote:
what
how theactual fuck

Old 12-9-2009, 10:17 PM   #34
insanefreddy926
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to insanefreddy926

I voted for the Pats cause they're my favorite team.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #35
eastsideman09
poker face
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

With so many "Other" votes, we sure aren't getting many explinations...

I voted Pittsburgh... Even though New England is my favorite team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
wow ur pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
caring should be a get-outable offense
eastsideman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #36
Patricoo
FFR Player

Quote:
You cant really be considered a great franchise unless you can win the games that matter..just look at the Bears, they are a great franchise. Why? They have a total of 9 NFL Championships in their franchise history. Compare that to your beloved Eagles meager 3 championships since 1933...
But are we only counting total championships? Is that the only stat we're freaking using? I mean, look at the Patriots up there. Why the hell are they on the damned list? Since their foundation they've been a team of absolute suckage only coming into legitimacy in the late 90s and are now falling off. (Way to handle a dynasty!)

And if we're looking at the past, why not bring up the Oakland raiders, whose recent irrelevance was much like that of the Patriots in years past.

If I -had- to pick from the list above, I'd say the Steelers for the great fan base and the continued success/relevancy... but the Patriots, possibly even the Cowboys, don't even deserve to be a choice.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #37
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
but the Patriots, possibly even the Cowboys, don't even deserve to be a choice.
Seriously? Cowboys dont deserve to be a choice? You truly are retarded.

Quote:
what
how theactual fuck

Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Quote:
Being an Eagles fan I take offense to that, lol. They have as a Franchise won championships before the Super Bowl era (1948, 1949, 1960).

Quote:
Well if we base the greatest franchise on how many times a team became NFL champions then the Packers win over the Steelers by far.
You do have a point there (I had the Packers high on my list to begin with). Doing some research I guess I'd have to agree with you. The Packers have been the most successful the longest. They've won titles in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1960s, and in 1996. The Steelers were losers for quite some time before their Super Bowl wins. Either way I'd say the Steelers are the best of the modern era.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
norsegod666
Well hello there!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
You do have a point there (I had the Packers high on my list to begin with). Doing some research I guess I'd have to agree with you. The Packers have been the most successful the longest. They've won titles in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1960s, and in 1996. The Steelers were losers for quite some time before their Super Bowl wins. Either way I'd say the Steelers are the best of the modern era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Force View Post
Let's face it. True Pittsburgh has 6 Super Bowls: one of which they had about 17 horseshoes crammed up each players' butt AND barely made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, and the latest, off of a spectacular catch, but yet another lucksack. While they may have the most Super Bowl victories, won the most AFL/AFC championship games, and hosted more conference championship matches (with 10) than any other franchise, and have missed the playoffs only 13 times since 1972 (for all those not fluent in math, 23 appearances compared to 13), but this could be because of the division the Steelers play(ed) in. They have been in the AFC North since 2001 winning the division title 4 out of the 7 times. Their previous division, the AFC Central back when there were up to 6 teams in the division, had only one real source of competition in the Baltimore Ravens as Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Jacksonville aren't exactly stellar football material.
That pretty much says what I was gonna say anyway.

EDIT: forgot to address this..
Quote:
Being an Eagles fan I take offense to that, lol. They have as a Franchise won championships before the Super Bowl era (1948, 1949, 1960).
I did not direct that at Eagles fans in general, rather at the uneducated idiot who thinks the Cowboys are not a notable team.

Quote:
what
how theactual fuck

Last edited by norsegod666; 12-10-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #40
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22

Ok so I've read enough of this. Listen, if you want to know the best franchise team based off of competition and scores and super bowls its ****ing pittsburgh come on.

HOWEVER, the DALLAS COWBOYS make the greatest revenue every year. They have one of the highest fan based community that gets greater and greater every single year. They are always a top team contender regardless who there quarterback is lol but all in all they are the greatest franchise to this date. Get over it. Case Closed
krunkykai22 is offline   Reply With Quote