Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
LJRoX
Banned

Default Re: Touhou

Yeah, I can't wait.
I've had this sig for a month now lol

I just noticed they lowered the line at the top compared to MoF, SA and UFO lol.

Last edited by LJRoX; 04-15-2011 at 08:42 PM..
LJRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #42
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Flandre Scarlet

I don't know if I just suck at whatever the new life system is, but I got to the end of the demo and only got one extra life throughout the whole thing... ._. But the game seems even easier than Imperishable Night so far...x:
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #43
LJRoX
Banned

It seems much more easier than UFO and SA that's for sure.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flandre Scarlet View Post
I don't know if I just suck at whatever the new life system is, but I got to the end of the demo and only got one extra life throughout the whole thing... ._. But the game seems even easier than Imperishable Night so far...x:
I didn't know until after my recorded playthrough, but you actually gain lives through Ghost Mode, which is the C button. If you collect enough black spirits, you can go into Ghost mode where all the enemy spirits will drop purple spirits for lives. It's also the same mode you go into when you die if you noticed.

I just like to call it HYPER mode though because of how awesome it is :V
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #45
Flandre Scarlet
Death
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Flandre Scarlet

That's what my buddy on MSN called it lol. So now I perfectly understand all the black spirits and the lives and such. :3
Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #46
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Yeah.

Hoo boy we're gonna have LOTS to talk about over at Anime North with this game.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #47
flash dualist
u wot m8?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to flash dualist

Imperishable Night is the easiest Touhou game since it gives you a chance to deathbomb. You gain lives and bombs pretty fast too.

Last edited by flash dualist; 04-15-2011 at 09:34 PM..
flash dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #48
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

What's sad is that Touhou 8 (IN) appeals to the player base the most, but that was one of the worst games in the series in terms of playability, fairness, and design. The only one worse than 8 was 12 (UFO).

I highly recommend 10, 11, 7, and 6 in order of recommendation, starting with the top choice. 9 is an awesome supplement that should be played alongside any of the "main games" you choose.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 04-15-2011 at 10:56 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #49
hazard28
That old weeb
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to hazard28

I'm liking 13 so far and the new life/ghost system is a pretty interesting concept and looks cool in action as well . I'm just super excited for the full version now, since Yuyuko made an appearance as the stage one boss I wonder what other surprises this game has in store? =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
Well, you'd have to print them out first.
hazard28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #50
LJRoX
Banned

Sadly the best thing about 8 is the Spell practice mode and last words
good thing we're having it on 13.
I hated 12's UFO system, blues were absolutely useless unless you were going for a score run.
We all know ZUN was drunk when he created 12 lol.

MoF's "bomb" system made the game clutch-easy.
12.8's freeze system made it much easier
I'd say StB is harder than DS still...
11 stands out to be the most difficult on Lunatic and then 7's phantasm mode

Last edited by LJRoX; 04-16-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #51
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
What's sad is that Touhou 8 (IN) appeals to the player base the most, but that was one of the worst games in the series in terms of playability, fairness, and design. The only one worse than 8 was 12 (UFO).

I highly recommend 10, 11, 7, and 6 in order of recommendation, starting with the top choice. 9 is an awesome supplement that should be played alongside any of the "main games" you choose.
What is considered "good" in touhou is entirely subjective though. In fact many LOVE IN not because of how "easy" it is but because it IS replayable in many ways. The design and patterns are quite lovely, I would always play it since it seems so fun more than the others.

10 had the bomb spam problem, which ZUN later fixed in 11 and onwards. But it was still fun outside of that. 7 I guess would be tied with 8 for the most fun though, because the border scoring was quite unique and all, and the patterns were well done, the music was amazing step up from 6, and etc.

I wouldn't agree on 6 though. I really don't find it replayable whatsoever, but maybe that's me because I don't like the weird instruments used for almost all songs except UN Owen, and how it doesn't look as appealing to me visually as well, it seems all rough and not clean. But that's moreso because it was ZUN's first game he made on Windows and all.

11 IMO wasn't all that great, because the shot types were meh, and patterns once again weren't as nice as the others games, except maybe Utsuho and somewhat Koishi (although Koishi was hell x.x). It felt almost as rough as 6. A little empty too, not to mention the difficulty curve from Easy to Normal was BIG compared to the other games.

Now 12 had a VERY subjective opinion on its added mechanics in the fanbase. Many liked it, many hardcores disliked it because they were so used to the old system of gaining lives and etc, and how UFOs would distract players from actually dodging. Yeah I know how that feels, but once you get used to it you can get many lives and it's quite fun too. The patterns were real nice as well, and I especially liked Byakuren's <3 Sanae was an amazing addition too, it was expected.

I'll go onto 9 as well since it's a full numbered game and all. This one is also very subjective because of its entirely different gameplay. It was obviously meant more for MP than anything. But the problem was the lack of netplay, so if you didn't download adonis you're stuck with single player, which is alright, but not as fun as MP IMO. It was also very dependant on which character you used for MP, example is that if you played as Aya or Medicine, you'll find that Story mode is A LOT easier. Dunno, again this one brought up a lot of subjective opinions on it.

So yeah, it's entirely subjective, there's no objectivity to any of the games being "better" in all reality, these are all my opinions for the most part.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #52
LJRoX
Banned

I'd have to agree with you on 6.

6 didn't have much of a replay value. I got really bored after beating it on Hard mode, yet alone Lunatic wasn't as exciting to play either lol.

9 has its own countdown timer: The boss cheats until the timer hits 0, so basically each stage has a timer longer than the other.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #53
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

I thought the countdown timer was only in Extra Stage. Never paid attention to it during normal story mode.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #54
LJRoX
Banned

In every stage, the computer cheats its way to victory until the timer hits 0. It's a hidden timer, but it's longer for each stage, especially past stage 6, it's ridiculous.
Once it hits 0, you have to get a spellcard in or at least a lot of danmaku in their screen for them to actually hit a bullet.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #55
rulezen
FFR Player

Sorry to dig up an old post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emithith View Post
Bullet Hell shooters are awesome too. I just finished a flash game on Kongregate (All badges) named Bullet Heaven. Check it out if you haven't.
Wait, all badges?? Seriously?
I need an A for the last medal but that thing is impossible!!
I can't get the one for Bonus4 Oblivion.

I'm also missing the die with 666 bullets on screen.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #56
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

To anyone complaining that the game is "too easy":

Try to play for score, the game becomes way harder. You have to point blank everything (including bosses), time trance mode correctly, and speedkill as much as possible. It is way more likely you will be hit by a newly spawned enemy than by a bullet.

You know, there needs to be a thread about shmups in general, but then again, it would be overrun with touhou, which I see as nothing compared to some of the masterpieces one can emulate on their PC or get on console (NOT IKARUGA DAMMIT).

Hell, touhou isn't even the best of the doujin scene.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #57
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991 View Post
To anyone complaining that the game is "too easy":

Try to play for score, the game becomes way harder. You have to point blank everything (including bosses), time trance mode correctly, and speedkill as much as possible. It is way more likely you will be hit by a newly spawned enemy than by a bullet.

You know, there needs to be a thread about shmups in general, but then again, it would be overrun with touhou, which I see as nothing compared to some of the masterpieces one can emulate on their PC or get on console (NOT IKARUGA DAMMIT).

Hell, touhou isn't even the best of the doujin scene.
Touhou definitely is easy in general, at least compared to many danmaku games out there like Ikaruga and DonDonPachi. But this is moreso because Touhou tends to lead towards to visuals and memorization-based patterns rather then pure bullet-hell, which makes it stand out from a lot of other danmaku games.

Touhou may not be the best doujin, but it surely is the most popular :P And it contributes one of the best from the fandom itself.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #58
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
Touhou definitely is easy in general, at least compared to many danmaku games out there like Ikaruga and DonDonPachi. But this is moreso because Touhou tends to lead towards to visuals and memorization-based patterns rather then pure bullet-hell, which makes it stand out from a lot of other danmaku games.

Touhou may not be the best doujin, but it surely is the most popular :P And it contributes one of the best from the fandom itself.
The fandom is the reason I stopped liking touhou.
Now the community is over-saturated with people who claim they are touhou fans, but have never actually played the games.

The memorization thing is true for almost all danmaku, especially for attempted scoring runs. I
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #59
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

It all depends on the community you find. If it's Doujinstyle, that's more then likely your problem, since they're pretty much kinda the bad retarded side of the fandom.

If it's MotK, then more then likely EVERYONE there played it. And they're the ones who create quite a few things for the fandom from the Western Side :V
Old 05-1-2011, 03:06 AM   #60
LJRoX
Banned

Rofl, grazing is much more important than speedkilling on TH. The only things you speed kill are small fairies that hardly spew out bullets. Usually people kill while grazing, which is exactly what I do.
And yes there aren't many people who play the game but claim they are huge touhou fans when they don't even know what the word "danmaku" is.

I got a little busier on CS 1.6 and FFR. I'm rarely on Touhou now since I'm also working on the FFR medley to go, with a couple of other pieces I've yet to transcribe from playing by ear on piano.

I'm still looking forward to Ten Desires. I really hope there's a difficulty spike like TH12