Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 12-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #261
Popmeister
Uncommon sense
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Passing away of Steve aka Jellygod

This is terribly unfortunate news...I've seen Jellygod, both inside and outside the forums, so many times. I am sad that I did not get to know him well; regardless, I pay my respects and offer my condolences to his family and friends. He is certainly a friendly and sociable person; the incredible amount of support given in this thread, and by such a great number of people, speaks for itself. He definitely deserves the kindnesses.

Rest peacefully, Steve.

*̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴. AAAs

Best: Sonata Quasi Una Fantasia
Popmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #262
fastfingers65
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to fastfingers65 Send a message via MSN to fastfingers65

I come back to this site after two years, and find out about this tragedy.

I cried.

Steve was a very kind person; I remember him very well bouncing around profile chat. Funny guy; always managed to bring a smile to my face. I am saddened by his passing. I wish the best for his family, and friends.

Last edited by fastfingers65; 12-15-2010 at 07:27 PM..
fastfingers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #263
BabyViperx3
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to BabyViperx3

I saw this in Who_Cares thread & it made me smile ^.^

BabyViperx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #264
zoogarama
I miss travel let me out
FFR Veteran

R.I.P. Jelly, that's really sad to hear. Really nice guy....
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #265
jchinzilla
i like cheese
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jchinzilla

i used to think suicide was just so stupid and anyone who would want to off themselves was just as dumb

until you yourself entertain the thought of killing yourself, or go so far as to attempt suicide...or if you realize how many people have suicidal ideations themselves. To our minds it makes sense that if you want to get rid of your tribulations one way is to flat out die. that will wipe things. This is partially true, but it can only increase the suffering, pain, and grief more than it can alleviate.

now i have no intention of being incendiary, i have the utmost respect and compassion that one could feel towards someone that i've never met nor talked with much, but committing suicide is one of the most selfish things that you can do...

please don't take that last statement the wrong way. i am not saying that jellygod is selfish. but seeing this tragic incident we can understand how killing oneself forces those around you to become very concerned, thoughtful, and confused as to why such a thing would happen
Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #266
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Well of course everyone who knew him is going to be concerned with what brought this on. I've thought about him every day since I heard. It bothers me because I'm always the type to feel like I need to understand how my friends think and what motivates their actions. I never saw this coming. It's easier for me to not blame myself or wonder what I could have done because I barely knew him and only met him once. I can't imagine what his family is going through.

But you're right in that those who contemplate suicide rarely think about or minimize the feelings of those who care about them. I don't consider this selfish, per se. That just seems to be the observed pattern. Whatever suffering that jellygod was going through is certainly at the forefront of all of the minds of his close relations.

PS - Somehow I managed to tape over all of my footage from the FFR Convention in 2008 without ever getting it to my computer. I feel incredibly stupid. I had footage of jellygod ;_;
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #267
Yieldsign
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchinzilla View Post
i used to think suicide was just so stupid and anyone who would want to off themselves was just as dumb

until you yourself entertain the thought of killing yourself, or go so far as to attempt suicide...or if you realize how many people have suicidal ideations themselves. To our minds it makes sense that if you want to get rid of your tribulations one way is to flat out die. that will wipe things. This is partially true, but it can only increase the suffering, pain, and grief more than it can alleviate.

now i have no intention of being incendiary, i have the utmost respect and compassion that one could feel towards someone that i've never met nor talked with much, but committing suicide is one of the most selfish things that you can do...

please don't take that last statement the wrong way. i am not saying that jellygod is selfish. but seeing this tragic incident we can understand how killing oneself forces those around you to become very concerned, thoughtful, and confused as to why such a thing would happen
I think it's actually a lot more selfish to even make the assertion that suicide is selfish. You're putting your own feelings ahead of those of the deceased, and despite whatever you may feel about the person in question, if he was driven to suicide it is probable that his feelings of despair or whatnot were far more pressing and weighty than your love for them.

That is to say, if he is really in considerable pain and cannot stand to live, I think it's selfish for you to look at it in a "look at the pain he caused ME" context without realizing that his own pain is probably far greater.
Yieldsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #268
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldsign View Post
I think it's actually a lot more selfish to even make the assertion that suicide is selfish. You're putting your own feelings ahead of those of the deceased, and despite whatever you may feel about the person in question, if he was driven to suicide it is probable that his feelings of despair or whatnot were far more pressing and weighty than your love for them.

That is to say, if he is really in considerable pain and cannot stand to live, I think it's selfish for you to look at it in a "look at the pain he caused ME" context without realizing that his own pain is probably far greater.
You have my utmost respect. I've never heard anyone say this, and it is absolutely true. I think I know a few people that need to take a look at this.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #269
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
But you're right in that those who contemplate suicide rarely think about or minimize the feelings of those who care about them.
this is absolutely and unbelievably false and not only that but also personally, slightly offensive and i can't believe you would even say that. please stop. agreed 100% with yieldsign, as well.

Last edited by robertsona; 12-16-2010 at 04:01 PM..
robertsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #270
All_That_Chaz
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldsign View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichliebekase View Post
You have my utmost respect. I've never heard anyone say this, and it is absolutely true. I think I know a few people that need to take a look at this.
You guys didn't understand what jchin was saying. It's not about putting your own feelings ahead of the deceased. It's the fact that somebody is suicidal doesn't think about those he or she leaves behind. Nobody's arguing that anybody's feelings are more important than anybody else's and such an argument is petty and childish.

And you're missing the point. This thread is about jelly.

EDIT: sona, I know what I'm talking about. If you want to talk about it with me do it in PMs.
dammit chaz
Quote:
god dammit chaz
Quote:
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #271
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz View Post
You guys didn't understand what jchin was saying. It's not about putting your own feelings ahead of the deceased. It's the fact that somebody is suicidal doesn't think about those he or she leaves behind. Nobody's arguing that anybody's feelings are more important than anybody else's and such an argument is petty and childish.

And you're missing the point. This thread is about jelly.
You misunderstood me, actually. I hadn't of read anything else that was written to be honest. I read what YieldSign wrote, knew that people I know say that "suicide is selfish" and yes, they have their own reasons for thinking it is. I was directing my comment towards them without pointing out names. I think that people need to think about what YieldSign wrote.

No harm meant against anyone in this thread to be honest, at least from me.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #272
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
It's the fact that somebody is suicidal doesn't think about those he or she leaves behind.

but this is completely false. i mean i don't really want to argue this obviously because it's sort of tarnishing a thread that's supposed to be in memory of someone we all loved but to say that someone contemplates suicide doesn't think about the effect it will have on those around him/her isn't even, like, close to the truth. it's pretty much just completely wrong
Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #273
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I disagree. Suicide *is* selfish. But so is discrediting the problems of someone who wants to commit suicide. To be selfish is to put your own needs/thoughts/opinions above others -- without empathy.

You may be in quite a lot of pain, but killing yourself means that you are going to tear apart those that are close to you. Losing someone is very, very hard -- emotionally, intellectually, psychologically, financially, logistically, and spiritually.

Similarly, though, it's just as tactless to say "suicide is cowardly and is reserved for those that can't deal with their own problems." Such armchair logic is laughable -- sometimes problems can be so immense to the point where living is suffering. We have a natural inclination to live... you have to be suffering quite hard deep down in order to ever *seriously* attempt to take your own life.

It's selfish on both sides. It's always sad, and it's always a shame. People love us more than we'd care to acknowledge sometimes, and all it takes is a simple reaching out to get the help you need. That's what friends and family are for. It's so unfortunate that jellygod felt that this was his only way out.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 12-16-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #274
~HentaiXXX~
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ~HentaiXXX~

I wish he would have at least talked to somebody about whatever it was that was ailing him...maybe we could have helped.
~HentaiXXX~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #275
Rubin0
FFR Player

I can't believe people are even arguing in this thread. This thread was created to mourn the passing of an FFR member, not debate over whether he was selfish or not. If you want to debate over the morality of suicide, then go to Critical Thinking.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #276
fastfingers65
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to fastfingers65 Send a message via MSN to fastfingers65

Take that ish to critical thinking, guys. We're here to honor the memory of Steve.
fastfingers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #277
All_That_Chaz
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers65 View Post
Take that ish to critical thinking, guys. We're here to honor the memory of Steve.
My sentiments exactly.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=116191

I'm giving a general warning right now. If any flaming starts from this argument here or in CT, I'm going to be handing out bans.
dammit chaz
Quote:
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #278
Eternal_0
Stop! Grammar time.
Retired Staff

Send a message via AIM to Eternal_0 Send a message via MSN to Eternal_0 Send a message via Yahoo to Eternal_0 Send a message via Skype™ to Eternal_0

I didn't really talk to him all that much, but he was a genuinely friendly guy to me. I just don't know what else to say other than how terrible this is, and how I wish it didn't happen.

Rest In Peace, Jelly. You'll be missed here, too.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #279
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

Jelly. :[ You were always so nice. I agree with everyone that you seemed so cheerful. Please rest in peace, dude. Condolences to your friends and family.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #280
Devilution
doin' just fine
FFR Veteran

RIP. my thoughts go out to his family and friends.
Devilution is offline   Reply With Quote