Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-5-2007, 08:46 PM   #41
Laotian_Vampires
FFR Player

Location: heh, why the f-ing do you need to know? But somewhere in the US.
Default Re: How powerful is the human mind?

Well, the human mind is actually very powerful if someone put it to use, but you see, there are many ways to abuse that type of power. "There is no such thing as good or bad, but thinking makes it so"-Willam Shakespeare. We do what we could think we do, we create what we could think we create, and we destroy what we could think we destroy. It's the mind games we play with our minds.
Laotian_Vampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-5-2007, 08:47 PM   #42
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

gbin.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #43
otcblackpanther
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to otcblackpanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
If you are just going to say "Wow, you guys are wrong and I have the answer", please don't even bother to post.

That's the equivalent of saying "Yeah, I'm Jesus, but I don't have to prove I can walk on water - just believe me, ok?"
Well actually I'm just not a dumb**** with this matter, i actually know about this stuff rather than you, who just came to this to flame me. So either post about something u know about or get the **** out and flame where it's allowed. Oh and Frankkkk, by the way, people have figured out a way to learn mind over matter, just not to a very high extent. Please PM me if you want to know more about this, i would be happy to enlighten you.

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Jarviss
otcblackpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #44
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

This forum is called "Critical Thinking" not "Dismiss people's arguements with no evidence, and invite them to privately ask you to privately see your apparant proof"

If you can support your stance with good evidence, post it, so that we can all examine it, and question it, and analyze it collectively.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #45
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcblackpanther View Post
Well actually I'm just not a dumb**** with this matter, i actually know about this stuff rather than you, who just came to this to flame me. So either post about something u know about or get the **** out and flame where it's allowed. Oh and Frankkkk, by the way, people have figured out a way to learn mind over matter, just not to a very high extent. Please PM me if you want to know more about this, i would be happy to enlighten you.
Oh please. You have no right to act all superior without giving us evidence, and I have absolutely NO reason to believe you. You have not stated qualifications, evidence, or even explained a single thing at all. Right now, you know what you sound like? You sound like those websites that would lead you to believe that they have the secret to attracting women, or making money, or losing weight, IF ONLY YOU BUY THEIR LIMITED TIME OFFER, IT'S A STEAL! DON'T TRUST THOSE OTHER WEBSITES, THEY ARE SCAMS! WE'RE THE REAL DEAL! ACT NOW AND YOUR LIFE CAN CHANGE FOREVER!

Do you realize that you sound like that?

How about never setting foot into Critical Thinking again unless you actually have something to discuss, instead of swaggering your pompous ass around acting like you have some sort of credibility. You think we should just believe you? You're not even a regular - not that being a regular should hold much credibility in Critical Thinking, but we don't even know who you are. For all we know you could be a 14 year old kid who hasn't even started high school and thinks he has evidence that ghosts are real - they live his closet.

Please, if you have something to say, say it here. You haven't even explained your stance or what people are wrong about or anything. If you say you have 300 pages of relevant articles, you could at least sum them up for us in a few paragraphs?

This reply is probably longer than it needed to be, but seriously, your attitude ****ing ticks me off. And in Critical Thinking! Who the hell do you think you are? Come in here and undermine what we're saying, but don't even explain why we're wrong or what evidence you have that we are wrong? Just expect everyone to believe you? Waving your pompous finger around like you're some sort of superior? **** you. GET OUT of this thread, and out of critical thinking, if you aren't going to back up your claims. This isn't how things work. We don't just take your word for it.

The thing that bothers me most is I would probably love to hear what you have to say, and see the discussion that results, but apparently whatever you know is too weak to stand up to mass analysis. Or at least, that is what I am gathering from your ridiculous idea of PMing to hear the rest. There's no need for that unless it was too stupid to stand up to any sort of criticism.

Last edited by Chrissi; 04-21-2007 at 02:41 AM..
Chrissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #46
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Okay, we'll settle this easily: Everyone who believes in mind powers like telekenesis, raise my hand.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #47
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

Uri Geller is a fake

But with that in mind, Telekinesis is real. I have a friend that is able to levitate toothpicks and move small objects. Ive started to work on moving a simple psi wheel and i can. And its not heat or anything from my hand because i can hold my hand like 6 inches away and still move it

The part of the mind that is able to preform Telekinesis is like a weak muscle that nobody uses. The more you train that part of the brain, the better you can become =]

The mind is truely amazing

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #48
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Telekinesis is bunk IMO. If the mind was truly capable of all that you guys are saying that it's possible of, I would be levitating small objects by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcblackpanther View Post
Ok, first of all you:

1. Insulted a well known member with no proof of your "know about this stuff" and only made yourself look like an ass.

2. Tried to sound all high and mighty like you aren't a noob who stepped off of the boat into FFR City. Shut up, learn some resepct, or I swear to God I'll have you banned in a moment's notice.

If anything, why don't you show some of your knowledge and enlighten us oh great Octa. I'm sure by the time you pull some bogus evidence from a Youtube video, we'll probably believe you.

/sarcasm

Last edited by Chromer; 04-21-2007 at 07:59 AM..
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #49
Equs
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamaja456 View Post
Uri Geller is a fake

But with that in mind, Telekinesis is real. I have a friend that is able to levitate toothpicks and move small objects. Ive started to work on moving a simple psi wheel and i can. And its not heat or anything from my hand because i can hold my hand like 6 inches away and still move it

The part of the mind that is able to preform Telekinesis is like a weak muscle that nobody uses. The more you train that part of the brain, the better you can become =]

The mind is truely amazing
You've got to be kidding me. Telekinesis has been debunked time and time again and noone has ever been able to demonstrate that it is possible. All common attempts at telekinesis are simple, well known magic tricks.

The 'psi wheel' is a joke buddy. Even I can spin the psi wheel and I have no telekinesis ability.

Actually, to debunk this entirely I can do it with glass over it...again, with no abnormal mental abilities. It's a well known trick, and to claim that this is telekinesis is laughable at best.

Last edited by Equs; 04-21-2007 at 08:39 AM..
Equs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #50
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456
Talking Re: How powerful is the human mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equs View Post
You've got to be kidding me. Telekinesis has been debunked time and time again and noone has ever been able to demonstrate that it is possible. All common attempts at telekinesis are simple, well known magic tricks.

The 'psi wheel' is a joke buddy. Even I can spin the psi wheel and I have no telekinesis ability.

Actually, to debunk this entirely I can do it with glass over it...again, with no abnormal mental abilities. It's a well known trick, and to claim that this is telekinesis is laughable at best.
lol, so your telling me that you have personally watched and debunked everyone person on earth who claims to have telekinetic abilites? yea i didnt think so, and until you accomplish that, you cant say its not possible

Also, i know some people think TV isnt true, but on the History Channel, They were conducting experiments with people to claim to have PK and after the experiment, the man stated that PK and TK are very real and its an untapped pheomenon.

My personal friend can levitate toothpicks and move small objects, and he does that live infront of me. So are you telling me that its not possible?
Seriously, its not that hard of a subject to grasp. Just because you were able to debunk a psi wheel doesnt mean you found out that TK not possible. Considering at any given time, we use only less than 10% of your brians, I'd say we are truely able to do amazing things if we only find time to stop and explore how to accomplish certain feats

PS. im right, your wrong

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
Old 04-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #51
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Chrissi: six days for flaming in CT. Unacceptable.
Chromer: warning for the same thing. You're on thin ice, here.
otcblackpanther: the irony is thick enough to cut with a knife. What you've posted goes against the rules of CT, so provide us with some evidence/anything credible or don't post.

Quote:
lol, so your telling me that you have personally watched and debunked everyone person on earth who claims to have telekinetic abilites? yea i didnt think so, and until you accomplish that, you cant say its not possible

Also, i know some people think TV isnt true, but on the History Channel, They were conducting experiments with people to claim to have PK and after the experiment, the man stated that PK and TK are very real and its an untapped pheomenon.

My personal friend can levitate toothpicks and move small objects, and he does that live infront of me. So are you telling me that its not possible?
Seriously, its not that hard of a subject to grasp. Just because you were able to debunk a psi wheel doesnt mean you found out that TK not possible. Considering at any given time, we use only less than 10% of your brians, I'd say we are truely able to do amazing things if we only find time to stop and explore how to accomplish certain feats

PS. im right, your wrong
Magicians move things without touching them all the time, and they're not telekinetic.

If you or your friend can actually move things with your mind, there's a million dollars waiting for you to collect it. Hundred bucks says you can't claim it.

Do you know why that challenge has stood for over forty years? It's because nobody can actually do the things they claim.

What you're claiming you can do would be the scientific discovery of the century, violating several canon laws. Too bad you can't do that.

So go ahead, go prove the world wrong and get a million dollars out of it. I'll even go get me some crow for dinner, but I guarantee it'll sit in my freezer until I die.

EDIT: Also, nice job stating completely unsubstantiated facts based on the words of a completely unscientific source with your "we only use 10% of our brains" comment.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

Last edited by GuidoHunter; 04-21-2007 at 04:51 PM..
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #52
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
Chrissi: six days for flaming in CT. Unacceptable.
Chromer: warning for the same thing. You're on thin ice, here.
otcblackpanther: the irony is thick enough to cut with a knife. What you've posted goes against the rules of CT, so provide us with some evidence/anything credible or don't post.

Magicians move things without touching them all the time, and they're not telekinetic.

If you or your friend can actually move things with your mind, there's a million dollars waiting for you to collect it. Hundred bucks says you can't claim it.

Do you know why that challenge has stood for over forty years? It's because nobody can actually do the things they claim.

What you're claiming you can do would be the scientific discovery of the century, violating several canon laws. Too bad you can't do that.

So go ahead, go prove the world wrong and get a million dollars out of it. I'll even go get me some crow for dinner, but I guarantee it'll sit in my freezer until I die.

EDIT: Also, nice job stating completely unsubstantiated facts based on the words of a completely unscientific source with your "we only use 10% of our brains" comment.

--Guido

you probably know more about this then i do

Edit: You should probably read this before you pretend to know everythin
http://psipog.net/art-beware-pseudo-skepticism.html

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)

Last edited by Adamaja456; 04-21-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Old 04-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #53
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

So the website that can say anything its owner wants to, says that another website that can say anything its owner wants to is full of misleading, bias, and presenting things in an inaccurate way...you see the problem here?

And you know what...people spend money every week of their lives, their entire lives buying lottery tickets for a miniscule chance to win a large sum of heavily taxed, payable in small increments prize money, and don't see a problem with it.

You are claiming to be 100% infallibly certain that you meet the requirements of his test for which the prize is minimum a 10,000 cheque, and possibly one million dollars in US Bonds...But you won't consider claiming it because what? You're worried that you'll -only- come out of it with 10 THOUSAND dollars?

The reason prizes of that sort remain unclaimed for decades is that anyone who has tried to prove it has been proven scientifically to be a faker. If you have genuine powers of the mind, don't you rather owe it to the entire population of the world you claim has these powers to actually prove it?

I'm not going to "Take your word for it" because belief without evidence is foolish. That are you are apparantly unwilling to present your -incontrovertable- proof for even the slim chance to prove internationally and conclusively that your powers are real -and- get upwards of one million dollars just makes you look like every other faker, illusionist and street performer.

Quote:
PS. im right, your wrong
Not in CT you aren't. Prove yourself, or stop posting.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #54
soulofcerberus
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to soulofcerberus

Quote:
Considering at any given time, we use only less than 10% of your brians
That might be true if you use logic. There are many parts of our brains, and each part does different things. The 10% does not mean that we only use 10% of our brains. It means we only use 10% AT ONE TIME. To use all the parts of your brain (100%) at the same time would be literally insane. I mean, seriously, can you memorize Spanish, speak English, play FFR with one hand, butter bread with the other, while somehow simultaneously writing a letter with one foot, and playing soccer with the other? It's an extreme example, but even that wouldn't use anywhere near 100% of your brain. Your body just doesn't have the ability to use all of your brain power at one time, not to mention the fact that your nervous system would have an incredibly hard time processing all of that information, leading you to experience pain.

Also you can't use "more" brain power to do a specific thing. You can concentrate harder on that area of your brain, and expand the amount of information that part can contain, but you can't devote the parts of your brain that let you walk to the parts of your brain that let you do math. You body doesn't work that way.

I could probably add more, but there's my small bit of logic on that statement.

<edit>
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
So the website that can say anything its owner wants to, says that another website that can say anything its owner wants to is full of misleading, bias, and presenting things in an inaccurate way...you see the problem here?

And you know what...people spend money every week of their lives, their entire lives buying lottery tickets for a miniscule chance to win a large sum of heavily taxed, payable in small increments prize money, and don't see a problem with it.

You are claiming to be 100% infallibly certain that you meet the requirements of his test for which the prize is minimum a 10,000 cheque, and possibly one million dollars in US Bonds...But you won't consider claiming it because what? You're worried that you'll -only- come out of it with 10 THOUSAND dollars?

The reason prizes of that sort remain unclaimed for decades is that anyone who has tried to prove it has been proven scientifically to be a faker. If you have genuine powers of the mind, don't you rather owe it to the entire population of the world you claim has these powers to actually prove it?

I'm not going to "Take your word for it" because belief without evidence is foolish. That are you are apparantly unwilling to present your -incontrovertible*- proof for even the slim chance to prove internationally and conclusively that your powers are real -and- get upwards of one million dollars just makes you look like every other faker, illusionist and street performer.
seconded

Last edited by soulofcerberus; 04-21-2007 at 06:20 PM..
soulofcerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #55
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
you probably know more about this then i do

Edit: You should probably read this before you pretend to know everythin
http://psipog.net/art-beware-pseudo-skepticism.html
So Randi's an asshole? I've known about that for quite some time; just ask stretchypanda about him.

That doesn't change anything he says, nor does it make his challenge invalid. Anyone who doesn't take up the challenge because of the miniscule chance that they'll only come out with $10,000 is just looking for a reason to get out of trying because they know that they'll get proven wrong.

Ad hoc excuses: dogmatic practices by pseudoscientists.

EDIT: So, I downloaded that pack which included the forum posts and laughed. Halfway through page one, all the necessary questions were answered and Sean (the author of the above link) effectively admits that his incredulity is unfounded after hearing the proper responses.

He leaves himself with one point: the JREF people were unduly rude to him. It is with THIS point that some of the forumgoers agreed with him (he seems to imply that they agreed with his claims that the one million dollar prize is no guarantee), and for mostly good reason. The JREF people have legitimate reasons to disregard him and not waste their time, but at the same time they were pretty assholish and gave the foundation a smudge on its reputation (note: its personal reputation; its professional reputation is still impeccable).

So, the entire point of that website was to call into question the security of the money that the foundation offers as a prize. Well, thankfully, he includes documents that show us that he just misunderstood the contract. Anybody who successfully exhibits evidence of the paranormal will get $1,000,000. Period. No question about it.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.

Last edited by GuidoHunter; 04-21-2007 at 07:37 PM..
Old 04-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #56
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

damn, I didnt realize all that. I guess im wrong and you guys are right

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #57
jamuko
FFR Player

Sorry to go back to an earlier topic instead of this telekinesis stuff, but...

The mind has an amazing amount of control over itself and the body. It might seem hard to believe that you can "will" something into being true, and there is certainly a limit to that kind of thing, but belief is more powerful than one might think. The success of placebo drugs in many cases is pretty clear evidence of that.

In addition, you can learn to control certain body processes that you think of as being out of your control, such as heart rate and blood pressure. It's not easy, but if you can get your hands on a biofeedback machine, you can train yourself with it. It's really interesting, but you probably can't get that kind of thing unless you have some kind of disorder... not really sure. It's good if you have stress-related physical problems. When you're stressed out, you can fix your tension headaches, high heart rate, etc.
I shoot eye beams at the things I hate and make them explode! (Yay!)
So Happy! Smile! Hello! It's a picnic every day
There's lots of happiness in my pocket
So let's play forever~
jamuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #58
customstuff
♥C.S. + A.M.♥
FFR Veteran

Uh...I think telecowhatever is impossible...I guess whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
Placements are final, custom will not be moved to D6, just because he is good at jacks, and mediocre at just about every other FMO in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic5239 View Post
welcome to D6

start playing
customstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #59
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
damn, I didnt realize all that. I guess im wrong and you guys are right
See, here's where you seem to misunderstand the purpose of this forum...You made blanket statements without evidence, people asked for evidence, you provided some support for your position, we evaluated it and called it into question...this is where (unless you -actually- completely cede our point and admit being wrong) you respond to our questioning of the evidence.

Getting petulent doesn't actually score you points.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #60
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'd really like to think that I'm not cynical enough to completely discount the possibility of his admitting defeat, but it just seemed too weird to be sarcasm, especially in such words and without saying anything more...

--Guido

Quote:
Quote: