Old 06-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Skayles
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran
 
Skayles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Age: 28
Posts: 71
Default No Steps Allowed

This is a public service announcement to remind people to try to remember to use "chart" and "charting" instead of "step" or "stepping". For example, "I found a really cool song, so I decided to chart it." or "I decided to make a chart for that song I heard on the radio."

This is arguably being pretty anal but we need to start making the transition to break away from the connotation of being some adaptation of a dance game, which we are not. Stepping is an action done with feet, not with fingers. Arrows matter on a pad, which indicate direction of where the button is located, but they don't matter on a keyboard when you're playing spread-style. Our community has been around for many years now, and old habits are hard to break, but I think anything that is outdated (and ultimately detrimental to the game's image) should be fixed, especially if it requires virtually no major effort to do so.

EDIT: "map" also works too, or any other word as long as it sorta makes sense
__________________
Skayles is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
FlynnMac
peepee poopoo
Just here
Event StaffFFR Veteran
 
FlynnMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 18
Posts: 357
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

you're're a sussy baka
__________________
FlynnMac is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Charu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 7,090
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Lets just go back to simfile.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Lights
owo
FFR Veteran
 
Lights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 56
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Its "Note Scrollie" now, and nobody will change my mind.
Lights is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Gradiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

I don't care what they're called, they just have to not be trash.

Also similar argument could be made against 'chart' or 'map':
"Don't use step because that's for feet"
"Don't use map because that's for directions"
"Don't use chart because that's for representing different data"
It's overall the same stuff.

Last edited by Gradiant; 06-16-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Gradiant is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Josemba
.
Event StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
Josemba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Age: 27
Posts: 230
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

No Maps Allowed
Josemba is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
Skayles
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran
 
Skayles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Age: 28
Posts: 71
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

reject terminology

return to txt
__________________
Skayles is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
aperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,369
Send a message via AIM to aperson
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

can I get me a nice one of them uhhh ummm [12]3[12]4[12]3[12]4s please.
__________________
aperson is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Event StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
gold stinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Posts: 5,700
Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

step, stepping
map, mapping
chart, charting
simfile, simfiling

they are all interchangeable & the same, depends on which section of the community you came from. Osu & Quaver players tend to use 'map' more, ITG/PIU/pad players tend to use 'step', keyboard players tend to use 'chart'.

No, this isn't blanket permission to start treating them as profiling words, because like I said, they're interchangeable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
butts.



- Tosh 2014







Last edited by gold stinger; 06-16-2021 at 02:51 PM..
gold stinger is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
LeftyRighty
i'm dog girl
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
LeftyRighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: California
Age: 22
Posts: 462
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

i'm still in agreement that "note scrollies" is a good universal term
__________________



LeftyRighty is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
suicidaln00b
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran
 
suicidaln00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 132
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

for me it's stepcharm'ps
suicidaln00b is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
Pretentious
FFR Player
FFR Veteran
 
Pretentious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 54
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

stepmapping the chartfiles for the keysmash simulator game
Pretentious is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Skayles
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran
 
Skayles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Age: 28
Posts: 71
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

every note scollie is a chart, but not every chart is a note scrollie
__________________
Skayles is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
FlynnMac
peepee poopoo
Just here
Event StaffFFR Veteran
 
FlynnMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Age: 18
Posts: 357
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup100 View Post
This is a public service announcement to remind people to try to remember to use "chart" and "charting" instead of "step" or "stepping". For example, "I found a really cool song, so I decided to chart it." or "I decided to make a chart for that song I heard on the radio."

This is arguably being pretty anal but we need to start making the transition to break away from the connotation of being some adaptation of a dance game, which we are not. Stepping is an action done with feet, not with fingers. Arrows matter on a pad, which indicate direction of where the button is located, but they don't matter on a keyboard when you're playing spread-style. Our community has been around for many years now, and old habits are hard to break, but I think anything that is outdated (and ultimately detrimental to the game's image) should be fixed, especially if it requires virtually no major effort to do so.

EDIT: "map" also works too, or any other word as long as it sorta makes sense
lol
__________________
FlynnMac is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #15
Gradiant
FFR's Resident Trashpanda
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Gradiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Age: 27
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynnMac View Post
lol
I think Yoshl was right in the thread that was from, we should call them stepsharts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
i sharted a shart
Gradiant is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Charu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 30
Posts: 7,090
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

I knew this was a copy-paste.

FUCK
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #17
hi19hi19
lol happy
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
hi19hi19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DESTINY
Age: 30
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can I get me a nice one of them uhhh ummm [12]3[12]4[12]3[12]4s please.
I'll have two number [12]s, a number 2[34] large, a number [124] with extra dip, a number 4231, two number [1234]s, one with cheese, and a large soda
__________________



hi19hi19 is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #18
MarcusHawkins
Constantly Improving!
FFR Veteran
 
MarcusHawkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 21
Posts: 1,055
Send a message via Skype™ to MarcusHawkins
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

I can't wait to see all the note scrollies in this upcoming OT!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Medley View Post

This man is three months too early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Guess I'll take another Quality Pack please. I won't have Hawkins luck but I'm sure I'll have badluck7772.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
what the fuck marcus lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
You should all thank MarcusHawkins btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRNGGin View Post
Marcus is probably going to be the main man to win this (You will always be my DDR brother for life, MarcusHawkins! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Kitten View Post
Best Newbie
1st: MarcusHawkins: 4

Up And Coming FFRer
2nd: MarcusHawkins: 3
MarcusHawkins is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #19
Zlyice
Slightly unpronounceable
FFR Veteran
 
Zlyice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 30
Posts: 58
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
I'll have two number [12]s, a number 2[34] large, a number [124] with extra dip, a number 4231, two number [1234]s, one with cheese, and a large soda
I am told we're all out of number [14]s, as they have all been ordered by storn.
Zlyice is offline  
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #20
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
Wayward Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Age: 32
Posts: 5,729
Default Re: No Steps Allowed

Y'all are beta troglodytes

You tell stories with the files. They are novels. When you are making one you are writing

"Dang this song would tell a good story I'm going to write a novel for it"

You fucks
__________________
Wayward Vagabond is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution