Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-2-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
bobbycat73
FFR Player

Default If you've moved from being religious to Athiest, how did that go?

My question for you is, if you have moved, or know someone that did, from being a member of an organized traditional religion (Catholic, Jew, etc.), to Atheism, how did that happen?

Did it happen all at once? Was it a progressive change?

Did you leave your original church but spend some time exploring spiritual alternatives before ending up as an Atheist?

Was it a calm and reasoned process, or an explosive realization?

I'm quite interested in this.

http://mafia.cheats4us.org/index.php?x=241521 <- Hot asian chicks!!
bobbycat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to FictionJunction Send a message via MSN to FictionJunction Send a message via Yahoo to FictionJunction Send a message via Skype™ to FictionJunction
Default Re: If you've moved from being religious to Athiest, how did that go?

I'm not an atheist, but I did renounce Catholicism.
I see myself as agnostic. I believe in a higher power as a justification for the mere existance of everything around us, and ourselves. However, if there is any way that <insert organized religion here> could be stated as the definite truth, then I would follow it. I'm not a fan of Blind Faith.
I was midway through my 'Confirmation of Faith' process aproximately 2 years ago when I questioned everyone's reasons for blindly following a certain set of beliefs. Most people are born into their religions, so they grow around it.. and eventually the religion becomes a part of them. These people don't question what they follow, for they believe it is the absolute truth. I went through my 'Confirmation of Fatih' process along with this sort of people, and they would get irritated by the mere questioning of their beliefs. I disliked it. I left.
I guess it was gradual since I had been thinking about that for the longest time.
Ever since I left the group undergoing their 'Confirmation of Faith,' I've never looked back.
FictionJunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

History:

Raised Catholic. Went to a Catholic school for five years. Confirmed in 8th grade. Went to a Youth Group (Bible study) for three years after that.

Now, the questions.

1) How did you move from being a Catholic to an Athiest?

First of all, I dislike the classifications we have. Can't I just be "non-religious"? I don't believe in the existance of any form of a god anymore. I just refuse to believe humans are the #1 species in the universe. That's like those southern rednecks who still think America is the greatest country in the world and nothing can be wrong about what we do.

Now, the answer. The easiest way to answer this is that I saw too many fallacies with the religion. Way too many. The worst part is that the guys who moderated my youth group discussions agreed with me and said they were true. It was this time in my life where I began to question things and take a logical standpoint of the world. I'd take a look at something and begin to process how or why it was. So, naturally, I did the same thing with religion.

1) How can Jesus be the son of God and God himself? I have to have faith? Is he a schizo? Is this story made-up? He's actually three people but the three people are separate entities that can talk to each other but they're the same pers--ok, this is too weird. It can't be true.

2) God made the Earth? In six days? It's a pretty sweet thing to just suddenly make, especially with all the impossibly intricate details it has on it. Including fossils that pre-date its own existance. And stars even older than it.

It goes on. I got tired of trying to justify my religion, because it was all failing miserably. The Bible was a less-than-satisfactory means of trying to make the story sounds more plausible, because it only made it all seem more ridiculous. The entire thing began to sound like a fairy tale.

Worst of all was that religion is slowly turning into a means of just garnering two things: followers and money. All for the carrot at the end of the stick: a better life and a happy afterlife. People advertise Christianity now. Try to gain believers. Try to force people into Christianity. It's pretty irritating to me, personally. "YOU WON'T BE SAVED!" From? Being buried when I die to be decomposed by maggots? Nobody has proven what the end of existance holds for us. Nobody.

2) Did it happen all at once? Was it a progressive change?

It happened fairly quickly, really. I mean, I'd seen the fallacies before, but once I started to really look at them mentally, I really noticed how many there were and how much they really destroyed any credibility the religion had. Cap that off with religious men of sixty years agreeing with me that the religion cannot back up those stories, only telling me to "have faith". I have faith in logic.

3) Did you leave your original church but spend some time exploring spiritual alternatives before ending up as an Atheist?

There was a time when I showed slight interest in religions not involving higher beings, but I quickly lost that interest. It was much easier to be nothing.

4) Was it a calm and reasoned process, or an explosive realization?

I think my story so far speaks for itself.

Last edited by Squeek; 11-2-2006 at 07:50 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I was born catholic. I went to church mainly as a child and attended sunday school (bible study or whatever you want to call it). I suppose right from the very beginning I was a skeptic. I would challenge questions in the class that most would accept.

I started to grow distant from the church, but attended service anyway, mostly because my parents wanted me to. I made attempts to connect with God but there were too many unanswered questions for me; I saw things that didn't make sense to me. I was sort of unconsciously removing myself, psychologically, from the chuch, even though I was still going.

I had originally gone to do my confirmation. My mother talked me into attending it, so I decided I would go. Anyway, I think this was my ultimate moment of realization. I had thought about it a lot before but I was still rather naive and it was so sinful to even think of such a thing, I mean, a world without God? But the class was the worst thing I had ever gone to. It was religious bigotry; it was madness. I absolutely could not accept the teachings of the church, and upon leaving I realized I did not believe in God and never went back.

I suppose from there I have only strengthed myself 'spiritually' in that I am very in tune with my beliefs and myself. I kind of went on a self exploration during the summer and taught myself a lot, mostly about biology and physics, which I found amazingly interesting and stimulating. This only strengthened my connection with nature and the natural forces of the universe. I know I won't ever believe in a God because of what I've learned and what I continue to learn everyday.

I'm not a radical atheist though. I actually don't say much about my religion and do not force views on others. I respect religion, if it is truely self understanding. I do not respect blind faith and I never will. I am completely against the degrading of intellectualism.
Old 11-2-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to FictionJunction Send a message via MSN to FictionJunction Send a message via Yahoo to FictionJunction Send a message via Skype™ to FictionJunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I actually don't say much about my religion and do not force views on others. I respect religion, if it is truely self understanding. I do not respect blind faith and I never will. I am completely against the degrading of intellectualism.
couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-2-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

During my childhood I would go to the Science of Mind Church, which is just a religion where we believe all religions are wise, and that there is an infinite intellegence blah blah cult stuff. It's really accepting, and you don't really ever have to go thus making it really popular in the gay community.

But now I only believe in facts. I refuse to discuss the existence of a divine presence as I believe mankind isn't wise enough to comprehend it. God may or may not exist. There are a lot of things science has yet to explain, therefore all religions should be accepted as long as they don't interfer with the lives of others. Just live a good life and be a good person and eveyone wins.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
The_Q
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to The_Q Send a message via Yahoo to The_Q

To me becoming an atheist was a lot like throwing up.

It felt awful for a long time when I was "losing faith." My grappled onto any scripture I could find, and I found myself plummeting through school and life. I call this part the "Hugging the Toilet" phase. It was like that for about a year or two and then I finally admitted to myself I didn't believe in a God or any deity whatsoever. I felt amazing. I puked. It was just...well...divine.

How did I get to that? Well, I guess it just stopped making sense. Would Christ really want me to do what's bad for me to help others? Would he not say "make sure you can handle the job before you do it?" So why should I drop everything like he asks? I follow no Commie. It made no sense.

Christianity also has this depressing outlook on people. We're scum, apparently, and we can't do anything right worth half a damn. I take another stance: we're absolutely clever. Sure, we've gotten ourselves into a corner or two before, but that doesn't mean we can't guile our way out. We do not need an omnipotent bastard breathing down our necks to do the right (or at least efficient) thing.

I came to the conclusion that religion is a tool. It's a wonderful way to make people feel a lot more comfortable with their surroundings. Sure, take the whole "it explained things for the idiot savages way back in the day" approach but I also like the "it makes things run smoothly" approach. Think of it this way, if there is a God and he is almighty, you'd want to do what he asks out of fear of smiting and out of desire for a nice slice of the eternal pie as a reward. So by setting down religious decrees that kept people from harming the society such as "Homosexuals don't produce babies, which we need. They're wrong" and "Pigs are dirty and carry disease. Better not eat those."

It's also a good way of getting people within the religion to get along. There is joy, love and hope in there somewhere, right? Even if it's militant, it has good intentions deep down there. That's ok stuff.

But do we need a God for that? Simply put, no. People can handle that on their own. We're big kids now, we don't need Daddy's help when we're sick because, dammit, we can run to the toilet by ourselves. You might need someone to hold your hair while you puke up your faith, though.

I recommend David Ricardo.

Q
The_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
dsadsadsa
Take out the D and S.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dsadsadsa Send a message via MSN to dsadsadsa

I was born and raised catholic, and I bought it all until I reached an age of reason. It slowly and gradually, yet ever so peacefully came about. Right about the time of my conformation (9th grade) I was starting to realise it. Catholics use so many symbols, and they all really make no sense. I also used to argue with my religeon teacher and she'd argue and argue until I had her into a hole and she'd say "Faith".

I was suspended from that school 3 times. (lol, irrelevance)

edit : It also dawned on me that for each region, there was a different religeon as sociey was developing. How the **** does that make catholosism the right religeon? Religeon is a really nice way to control a bunch of people. Tell them they will get to heaven if they act good.

Last edited by dsadsadsa; 11-3-2006 at 09:39 AM..
dsadsadsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

I was born into a Souther Baptist family, and Sent to a private Christian school up until 9th grade.

But in 8th grade I started to question the legitimacies of my religion. I was getting big into science, and I wondered why no one would honestly apply the Scientific method to Christianity, I did, and it failed miserably. For a while I still clung to parts of my Christian beliefs, as sort of a saftey blanket against the rest of the world. But then I just decided, that I would only believe in facts. Hard, testable facts.
Old 11-3-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Born and reared Catholic, but never really had a deep appreciation for it. I went to mass and all, but it just seemed to be an hour out of my week. Around fourteen I started questioning things, as young teenagers are wont to do.

At first, I just thought, "Why does God have to be the only God? I like to think that each group has its own deities and its own heaven/hell/whathavethey and everyone ends up how they expect to." Sort of a polytheist ideal, as they all have their respective dominions. But then I started the "God didn't create man; man created God" line of thinking and quickly turned atheist, which soon led to agnosticism.

I just plain didn't care for a few years after that. A few years ago, though, I reflected on what I went through, considered some things, and found my faith.

A couple of things I want to say:
If you're questioning your faith, go ask a priest. Talking to your religious neighbor, then feeling like you just logically defeated an entire religion is just dumb.

Also: what's with the "Religion is a control tool RAWR!" conspiracy theory? What do church leaders do with the "control" that they have? "Muahaha! Now that I have hundreds of people at my beck and call, I shall have them...........prepare Thanksgiving meals for the needy and deliver them!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!"

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
Also: what's with the "Religion is a control tool RAWR!" conspiracy theory? What do church leaders do with the "control" that they have?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 11-3-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

The money that they give away to the needy? The money that goes to paying meager salaries?

Mind you, I'm not considering televangelists or anything like that, here.

Plus, most people's problem isn't with the money so much as how the Church is exacting some sort of mind control over the people.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
The money that they give away to the needy? The money that goes to paying meager salaries?
The money that goes into the higher ups (Denominational leaders,etc). Not priests or pastors, they are as controlled as anyone else.

Quote:
Neither am I, in fact, I don't consider televangelists Christian.

Quote:
Plus, most people's problem isn't with the money so much as how the Church is exacting some sort of mind control over the people.
Wouldn't you be?
Old 11-3-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Iwhaiwnfi
FFR Player

Honestly, I think religion just came about as a way to control people. The governmental power of the time said "This is your lord, he created you, and if you do not follow his ordained rules and laws, he will banish you to an eternity of suffering". And that, obviously, kept most people in line.

Since then we've just followed the tradition until it's so inborn people believe it to be the actual truth, and it's just followed from there.

I grew up Christian, but never a devoted one. We just started going to a Lutheran church about 3 years ago, I was confirmed as a member after 2 years of classes every wednesday night, and since then, we barely go.

I believe in science, because it can lay down facts, figures, and most of all, proof. Religion is all blind faith, and whether it's true or not, there's really no way to know it's true, except for the fact that there's a book on it that was written two millenia ago. I can't trust that as evidence that religion is what it is.

Though, if I announce myself as an atheist, I still have a fear of going to hell, since that's what I grew up with. And I figure if you're scared of it, you have to believe in it. For now, I guess I just don't know what I believe in.
Iwhaiwnfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
FictionJunction
FFR Player

I thought doubting the doctrines of <insert branch of Christianity here> was a sin? At least it is heavily frowned upon in Catholicism, that much I can say.

Also, another factor that helped me determine whether I should renounce Catholicism or not was the Papacy.
I won't delve much into this, but one would think that God's representative on Earth would be elected by God himself, not by priests high in the order (who are men just like we are. They also sin.)
However, the main excuse I've been given here is:
"God influences them through their prayers and meditation. It is God giving them the ability to decide which candidate is the best."
If this is true.. then there would'nt be 1) an election: one would think that if God was truly telling these priests who the best candidate is, there wouldn't be an election in the first place; 2) Free will: if God is truly telling these priests who the best candidate is, they wouldn't be making their own decisions, for these decision are God's own.. but simply done through another medium.
Although, the whole concept of Free Will is debateable as well. While most Agnostics/Atheist fully embrace the concept of having the ability to choose to do things, others do not. The 'Letter to the Romans' expressed both the ideas of Predetination. God is almighty, so he has things set out for us. It is what we must do.

Most issues of controversy are entwined and are linked to one sole 'fork on the road:' Would you be comfortable to blindly follow all doctrines, and blindly believe in all aspects of <insert religion here>, or would you be more comfortable not engaging in Blind Faith.
This should be the question most people should start at.
Old 11-3-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
2) God made the Earth? In six days? It's a pretty sweet thing to just suddenly make, especially with all the impossibly intricate details it has on it. Including fossils that pre-date its own existance. And stars even older than it.
Or, you know, it could of been a way to explain things easier because people couldn't fathom millions of years of creation back then. The story of creation is roughly in the order of what evolution says and for people to be correct back then about that kind of stuff is quite a feat.[/Christian perspective]

After learning about European history and reading a few passages from the Bible (witchcraft??), I'm not even really agnostic anymore, I'm bordering on being a full-fledged athiest. But like Squeek says, I'd just rather go by the term "non-religious".

I've been non-religious for awhile. About 2 years.

The hardest thing I'll probably ever have to do will be at the end of confirmation class admitting that I don't believe in God because I have a slot reserved for the mission trip (which is after confirmation) and I've been pretty involved with the church (forcefully, more or less).

As a non-religous person, though, I must say I hate those stupid Athiests that say people who are religious need religion to go through life. Religion isn't all that bad of a thing; after going on mission trips I can say that there are plenty of people that could use it, but most people who are already religious really don't need religion. All it does is promote optimism. Q puts it in better words than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter

--Guido

Religion, or at least Catholicism, was used as a way for people to make money, (e.g. indulgences). Although Jesus in the Bible said to only give what you can, the Bible said a lot of things that got ignored. If people were truly as religious as they made themselves out to be, there wouldn't be so many wars between Catholics and Protestants (hell, Protestantism wouldn't even exist):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Cornithians 12 (New International Version)
1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant. 2You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. 4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31But eagerly desire[e] the greater gifts.
And now I will show you the most excellent way.
A few corrupt, politicial leaders back then took advantage of people's devout faith and bended it and twisted it to their liking. A priest could say to a crows that ripping your left arm off made God happy and in a few minutes there'd be dozens of limbs on the ground.

It didn't help that the Bible was mostly only written in Latin and hard to get before the printing press.

Although, things have obviously changed these days: people donate to the church because they want to and the church needs the donations, they don't just want them.

Last edited by lord_carbo; 11-3-2006 at 03:35 PM..
lord_carbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-3-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
studmuffin51306
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to studmuffin51306

Can I give the opposite answer or will I get flamed out of here?
Old 11-3-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
FictionJunction
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycat73 View Post
My question for you is, if you have moved, or know someone that did, from being a member of an organized traditional religion (Catholic, Jew, etc.), to Atheism, how did that happen?
He clearly wants a specific answer given by a specific group of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin51306 View Post
Can I give the opposite answer or will I get flamed out of here?
If you aren't part of this specific group of people, you wouldn't be qualified to answer his question.
Old 11-4-2006, 12:52 AM   #19
iggymatrixcounter
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to iggymatrixcounter

I'm seeing a pattern of Catholic faith -> atheism.

My story is similiar but I found something else and therefore I can't count myself in the question.

Here's another question I'd like to ask people who've posted so far:

Are you forever closed to the idea of religion, or if you could find something that answered your questions, would you do another soul searching like you did from religiousness (that a word?) to atheism?
Old 11-4-2006, 01:00 AM   #20
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Any religion that doesn't ask for money, doesn't have a book loaded with fallacies and horrible, HORRIBLE messages (beat your wife! kill your children!), and only seeks to bring the individual toward themselves, I might consider. Anything where I have to dedicate time to doing anything any day / time of the week / day is out of the question. I refuse to attend a group meeting of any kind.

It's looking slim at this point. FSMism seems the most logical religion. What should I do?

My choice in life was based on my choices in life. I constantly look over my choices in life and revise them.

My decision to be non-religious won't change anytime soon. I'd have to overcome a lot of things I've already proven to myself about religion so far, and so far, I haven't changed a single viewpoint out of at least fifty.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote