Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #101
-Izzy-
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to -Izzy-
Default Re: If you've moved from being religious to Athiest, how did that go?

No i meant the gravity is provable. Stop assuming things please.
-Izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #102
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Izzy- View Post
No i meant the gravity is provable. Stop assuming things please.
Actually, nothing is "provable" in science. You can show something to be true beyond all reasonable doubt (such as gravity), but you can't PROVE it true in ALL cases, because it's impossible to find and test ALL cases. Gravity has not been and will never be "proven" to be true--but the evidence supporting it is so overwhelming that you'd have to be nuts not to believe in it.

What is true is that the evidence supporting the existence of a divine being or power is relatively nonexistent when compared to the evidence supporting gravity...wish you would've said that instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #103
-Izzy-
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to -Izzy-

Wishing never solved anything.
-Izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #104
shazam_2011
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to shazam_2011 Send a message via Skype™ to shazam_2011

Born Agnostic, claimed the Catholic religion, denounced and became Agnostic, and then reclaimed Catholicism and claimed Atheism once I realized that the Bible was nothing more than an entertaining read blown wayyyy out of proportion.
shazam_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #105
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam_2011 View Post
Born Agnostic, claimed the Catholic religion, denounced and became Agnostic, and then reclaimed Catholicism and claimed Atheism once I realized that the Bible was nothing more than an entertaining read blown wayyyy out of proportion.
You don't make up your mind easily do you?
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #106
shazam_2011
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to shazam_2011 Send a message via Skype™ to shazam_2011

No.
shazam_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2006, 08:12 AM   #107
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians

When I was born my mom went to church and took me with her. I didn't understand it and i didnt like it. Before I turned 3, I started go to a religious preschool. It was boring there.... (irrelevant, but I got in trouble for coloring Jesus brown and had to go home early).

I guess I never was religious, but I have my own beliefs, but VERY few of them from the bible.
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2006, 08:58 AM   #108
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Actually, nothing is "provable" in science. You can show something to be true beyond all reasonable doubt (such as gravity), but you can't PROVE it true in ALL cases, because it's impossible to find and test ALL cases. Gravity has not been and will never be "proven" to be true--but the evidence supporting it is so overwhelming that you'd have to be nuts not to believe in it.

What is true is that the evidence supporting the existence of a divine being or power is relatively nonexistent when compared to the evidence supporting gravity...wish you would've said that instead.

I don't buy that definition of proof.

Without gravity we would not exist.

Nor would the universe as we know it.

Therefore, since we know we, and the universe exist within our reference frame of reality, gravity must also exist.

Stating that we can't know for sure is the biggest load of udder bullsh it iIve ever heard and everyone else knows it too. XD

The only way around this is to say you can't know you exist, which is just stupid. I say noone cares. That proof is completely unpractical and udderly useless. Your specific reality the only reality you're ever going to be able to experience. Why would you even bother concerning yourself with things that will never ever apply to your reality? It doesn't make any sense.

You should only be concerned with the reality you can experience, therefore, it is easily possible to prove something as a fact...which is as it should be. All this philosophical nonsense is the reason we didn't get anywhere for centuries until the scientific method came a long to rid of nonsense results.

Last edited by Reach; 12-3-2006 at 09:03 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 11:59 AM   #109
sherbtail
FFR Player

actually... Gravity isnt provable

just coz an object falls every time it is dropped does not mean 'gravity' makes it so. Gravity is just a thing us humans made up to try and describe what happens when you drop an object. And obviously we think we have it pretty nailed and in all probability we do, but we cant prove anything.

(interesting sidenote:- while we can be sure of our own consiousness, it could be a computer simulated conciousness, look up the "simulation argument" on google, read about it in 'new scientist' the other day)

Equally you cant prove or disprove the existence of God. Some people have said in this topic, "I only believe in facts", this actually shows you believe in very little, evolution is not fact, and gravity is not fact. They are just the best ways to describe how we think the universe works.

I personally am a protestant. But not a blind follower, i question my faith almost constantly, and sometimes it's hard to carry on being a christian with almost the whole scientific community saying its rubbish. But i know being a christian makes me a better person and i believe I feel an emotional connection with God.

God and science need never really dispute each other, the bible says God created the world in 6 'units of time' according to the acient jewish texts and this can be interpreted as creating the world over billions of years through evolution.

I also understand there are a lot of problems with religion and religious people. It annoys me so much when people do stupid things like blow up abortion clinics in the name of God. And religious people in America taking their kids out of school coz they dont believe in the teaching of evolution... its like people in the middle ages taking their kids out of school coz they dont believe in the teaching that the world isnt flat...
sherbtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 03:28 PM   #110
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Come up with something better that explains why objects fall to the ground and I'll believe it to be fact.

Until then, I'll go with renowned scientist and father of Calculus, Isaac Newton, who not only explained everything, but put it all in a nice little package known as Newton's Laws of Physics, which pretty much every scientist in the field agrees with.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-2006, 03:35 PM   #111
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbtail View Post
actually... Gravity isnt provable

just coz an object falls every time it is dropped does not mean 'gravity' makes it so. Gravity is just a thing us humans made up to try and describe what happens when you drop an object.
and the fact that small celestial bodies have a tendancy to be pulled around larger ones is completely coincidental

this man knows what he's talking about

The gravity analogy sucks, folks. Drop it.

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-5-2006, 01:32 PM   #112
sherbtail
FFR Player

lol i know the phenomenon we describe as gravity exists, and i know that we have to assume that our description is right in order to make any scientific progress whatsoever, im just saying, what we call 'gravity' is really just the description of the universe around us. I dont get what your problem with what I said is...
Old 12-7-2006, 07:21 PM   #113
Cenright
You thought I was a GUY?!
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Location: Beaumont (A town with 25 times fewer people than this site)
Send a message via AIM to Cenright Send a message via MSN to Cenright Send a message via Yahoo to Cenright

Now, getting somewhat back on topic... (Yes, forgive me.)

This may sound a little arrogant, but actually, I am just trying to be as straightforeward as possible, so please overlook any annoyance.

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I would say that things look very different from my perspective. A lot of questions or things that people say need to be taken on "Faith", I see a biblical scripture that actually gives more fact that most people would expect. I would say that I see easy answers to a lot of these questions.

Although, I do know that things always do look easier when you already know them, such as how easy riding a bike is now, but think of how hard it was to grasp that skill when you were still learning it.

(I wont go into any detail on any subjects, because that would be breaking the point of this topic, but feel free to ask me any other time.)
Cenright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #114
tha Guardians
MCDC 2011
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to tha Guardians Send a message via MSN to tha Guardians Send a message via Yahoo to tha Guardians

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"Although, I do know that things always do look easier when you already know them, such as how easy riding a bike is now, but think of how hard it was to grasp that skill when you were still learning it."

That's the reason I'm athiest. I don't believe most of the things in the bible and personally, please don't be offended, I think it was created to try to control people in a massive cult and it's all stories and sometimes false morals written down.

I believe Christianity and most religion is due to ignorance in trying to find an easy answer. If you're a true Christian that HAS questioned the Bible without just accepting words handed down onto paper and still feel the way you do, please disregard this message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
can someone clarrify what QFT means my friend told me its quit ****ing talking, but im not 100 percent sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight
I need a car that drives itself completely automated and I want it for free and it needs infinite gas mileage.

Cheers,

Synthlight
tha Guardians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #115
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
just coz an object falls every time it is dropped does not mean 'gravity' makes it so.
Uh...no.

The word gravity is just a word we use to describe the phenomenon. Therefore, this phenomenon cannot be anything else other than gravity because we have described gravity as such.

Consequently, there could be something else responsible for this phenomenon that we are unaware of. However, this would not be gravity.

This is essentially how you go about mathematically proving something. You give a thing a name/variable, and from there you can then make proofs based upon this definition you have given it.

If you were correct we would never be able to solve an algebraic equation. x might not actually be x. 1 might not actually be 1, ect. And as such, you run yourself in a ring of circles needlessly.

Last edited by Reach; 12-11-2006 at 10:23 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #116
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Without gravity we would not exist.

Nor would the universe as we know it.
Prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #117
RandomPscho
FFR Player

Quote:
Prove it.
I will try.

The actual 'thing' that creates gravity is matter. Gravity is the warping of space-time, and if there is no gravity, there is no matter, therefore nothing in existence. <-- Simple really.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #118
sherbtail
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Uh...no.

The word gravity is just a word we use to describe the phenomenon. Therefore, this phenomenon cannot be anything else other than gravity because we have described gravity as such.

Consequently, there could be something else responsible for this phenomenon that we are unaware of. However, this would not be gravity.

This is essentially how you go about mathematically proving something. You give a thing a name/variable, and from there you can then make proofs based upon this definition you have given it.

If you were correct we would never be able to solve an algebraic equation. x might not actually be x. 1 might not actually be 1, ect. And as such, you run yourself in a ring of circles needlessly.

Point taken. Although that is what i meant to say in my second post, honest...i just said it very badly...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #119
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Prove it.
No gravity means matter would not be attracted to other matter.

So no stars or planets would form.

The universe would just be full of stray molecules.

So, no humans would exist.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote