Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #21
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Do you have a religion?

No flame here, just responding to Dossar's post. If you don't want to read it, don't click the spoiler!
I'm pretty sure these where rhetorical, but I'm gonna answer them anyway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI View Post
Which god is the real one? (So much violence has happened over this question, it's ridiculous)
The fact that nobody has any actual substantive evidence other than their holy books (and this isn't valid evidence either) leads me to believe that nobody does know, nor can they really know at this point in time which, if any, is the real one.

Quote:
Why are there so many religions?
Religion tends to vary on geographical location. Going back to the time when the world wasn't so connected, people in their close circles all over the world developed their own brands (sects) of religion. This isn't just true of Americans being mostly Christian and Indians being mostly Hindu, etc, but even people in the Southern U.S. being Baptist and midwest being Catholic.

This is NOT assuming that there was one true religion to start out with and everyone branched from there, but our human nature drove us to try to create these divine, supernatural explanations for things we didn't yet understand (God of the gaps), and this small seed of unknowing evolved (ironically) into the religions we have today.

Quote:
Why is God personified when in fact we'd be talking about an entity so powerful to create an entire universe that has no reason to exhibit any sort of human characteristics?
The Bible and Qu'ran both have something along the lines of "God created man in his own image", so people are just following the book here.

Quote:
What basis do assumptions of God have to our current problems today?
People always have and will continue to do crazy things in the name of their God(s). See: islamist acts of terror, crusades, etc.. So in large part, religion is causing our current problems today. People like to cherry pick the Bible and preach that it's "the good news", but it's the same book that advocates slavery (Exodus 22), execution of homosexuals (Leviticus 20) in the same chapter that condemns adultery and the Long Island Medium. One might claim that they do not follow the old testament, but I personally don't understand why, since God is a being that is timeless (Isaiah 57) and Jesus is, in fact, God himself.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 11-30-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #22
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Why is God personified when in fact we'd be talking about an entity so powerful to create an entire universe that has no reason to exhibit any sort of human characteristics? What basis do assumptions of God have to our current problems today?
The problem we face is terrorism. We must actually accept a new god, not the God of olde. Sporadic terror attacks in an otherwise peaceful world will likely never cease, but to cope with the uncertainty, our people should update the olde beliefs into a more modern 'bible'.
Quote:
Sure, this hypothetical God might have defined the rules of the universe (such as gravity) but does not propose solutions to our current problems.
Everyone instinctually knows that they are the spawn of a superhuman architect, but that knowledge alone is not why we're here.
Consider this. Most of us attended public schools from an early age, we have that in common. Most of the textbooks were written in the 1950's, before the deluge of postclassical thought.
I conclude that what used to be metaphysics should now be part of basic physics, integrated with our worldly common sense.
Nowadays it has become apparent that we are dealing with more than Isaac Newton here and religious people should really focus on that.
Over the past few years I have felt a much greater sense of peace and happiness in the people around me. I believe terrorism could be done with in the not-too-distant future. Nonetheless, religion is very interesting.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
DO NOT FLAME RELIGIONS HERE DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT

I used to think that the more "intellectual" someone was, they are more likely to not be of faith; however, some of the smartest people I know are religious and have some pretty cool reasons for why they are. So yeah, wanted to know if y'all are religious or not, and why?

I don't. I've tried a couple times, but I don't think religion's for me. I think religious people are pretty kickass though.. well.. the ones that aren't pricks, but there's non-religious pricks too.

DO NOT FLAME RELIGIONS HERE DO NOT DO NOT

promoting forum activity oooweeee
night yall
Just to clarify, is flaming is equivalent to criticising here? Just so I don't violate your thread rule. I don't think criticising a religion should be outlawed, it's quite dangerous to operate in this way.

There is definitely a difference between being religious and being spiritual and I think the intellectuals you are referring to would be spiritual. They may say they're Christians or Jews for example but I'm sure like most other rational people they cherry pick portions of the holy text and traditions from which to build their own moral foundations. This is precisely why I think religion as a concept should be discarded; we have evolved morally and we don't need outdated texts to tell us how to behave, it's nonsense. Furthermore, you have Fundamentalists who would otherwise have been harmless people that commit terrible acts in the name of their religious deities. The promise of salvation is an awful thing to hedge your bets on and it shouldn't dictate how people live their lives. You should do good not because some invisible man in the sky told you so or else you'd burn in hell for all eternity, you should do it because it's just common sense.

More rants imminent but at work sry
Old 11-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Costanza's opposite religion has proven most effective for me personally

Not trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
Old 11-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #25
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Religion is a good example of a concept I hold a high degree of respect for and can see how it helps many people, and has done a lot of good (bad too, I know), but was just never for me. If I had to answer, I'd say I'm happily Agnostic, though technically if you asked my family they'd deem me Lutheran. That said, my mom works for catholics, and my late grandfather was an atheist, so in general distinctions as such have never impacted my directly immediate family and such.

I've experienced as a third-party both positives and negatives due to religion. It's largely due to religion (well, and the Beatles) that I'm cut off from a portion of my immediate family; it's also thanks to religion that a few people I hold very dear to me have been helped in significant ways over the years. I've seen religion guide people to a terrific way of life, be it Christianity, Catholicism, Muslim ideologies, and everything in between.

While there are holes in each religion, I don't think it's either important nor beneficial to judge due to them. I see it as a way to help people, and to provide support and answers where there may otherwise not be. Whether or not it's "correct" or "logical" is irrelevant with my stance; if there's nobody getting hurt then I see no harm in following a path that can cause great benefit.

Of course, there's radicals and extremists that twist the purpose of religion, they can suck a dick and such etc. But for the most part, I think religion has potential to be life-saving, and can greatly help many people.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 11-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I guess you could say I have some spirituality. We, and everything in this universe has been cut from the same cloth. Our bodies, a crochet of cosmic fabric. I think we are walking embodiments of infinity, just like like the universe as a whole.

It is much simpler to have organization for your beliefs through religion. I choose not to observe any meaning that isn't personal to me. I think it's our job to find acceptance of our existence by our own individual means.

I apply some aspects of buddhism to my life that replicate aspects of cognitive behavioural therapy. I think everyone should.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #27
SpaceGorilla
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

I'd say that there's a distinct difference between a religion and a philosophy and that's the existence of something you can't explain. As far as I know there's no evidence for an actual god or supernatural presence of any kind that has dictation over the universe, and that the idea was probably proposed by someone (obviously a long, long time ago, before science was as prevalent in society as it is today) who wanted to use it to explain things they couldn't - the "god of the gaps" as they call it. A religion can easily indoctrinate philosophical ideals into them, as most do, and for that I think it's great that people can find something they agree on (if it's not detrimental to human progress) and can work towards together. Dispute over which is "correct" in my opinion is childish behaviour but at this point there's little we can do about entire populations of people being raised to believe something that others don't.

I definitely believe in the individualistic way of going about this, where you take what you can observe and turn it into your own ideas about nature and your existence. I have a hard time believing things that people tell me that I can't observe as true.

edit: this is the most genuine thread i've seen in a while jesus christ

br2pac

play this ^

Last edited by SpaceGorilla; 11-30-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #28
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I feel kinda bad for people who were heavily indoctrinated. Instilling the fear of eternal punishment for finite wrongdoing into children is very effective for getting them to follow your religion and stay with it until they die.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 11-30-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #29
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
How did you get into Taoism, though?
Tai Chi is heavily rooted in Taoism beliefs to the point that you really can't separate them unless all you want to do is slow moving dance routines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
One might claim that they do not follow the old testament, but I personally don't understand why, since God is a being that is timeless (Isaiah 57) and Jesus is, in fact, God himself.
God literally flips the script, that's why.

Before Jesus dies (and goes to hell for three days. I think Revelations starts by having John see him declare that he has the keys to the bottomless pit as a result) people had to prove they where worthy through acts and not doing certain acts. Do this, eat that, don't fuck that, or her, etc etc etc. When Jesus dies things change to a more faith base system with a new set of rules. For a none believer this sounds pretty convenient, I know; that' the reason for it though.

Also as an aside, most of the Old Testament never ever ever applied to non Jews / Priests to begin with. The book of Leviticus? 90% for Priests and Priests alone.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Old 11-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #30
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
some of the smartest people I know are religious and have some pretty cool reasons for why they are.
i'll happily criticize your acquaintance pool-

it sucks and they're all stupid
Old 11-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

in case anyone missed it if god is what created us and informs our lives and actions at every point in time then god is the collective scientific laws of the universe and those (scientists, researchers, etc) who seek to discover and understand these laws are those who are really 'closest to god'

this is why many eminent intellectuals come off as religious or spiritual

then it gets twisted by pseudo intellectual retards who think that being smart means being 'hipster religious' and its actually really fucking sad
Old 11-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #32
ormix
Banned

Thanks for the insight owa :v

I just look at life as a trial - it would be easiest to believe that we as humans are capable of true moderation if we set our mind to it, but being born into sin as some one like me chooses to believe, this is not so. It sounds counter productive to embrace being fallen from conception but it's never been more complicated than some thing is as it is for me.

edit: on a personal note :subsequent reality: the trial is a freebie

Last edited by ormix; 11-30-2017 at 08:33 PM..
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #33
the sun fan
FFR Player

Quote:
The Bible and Qu'ran both have something along the lines of "God created man in his own image", so people are just following the book here.
The Qu'ran does, in fact, not say this.

EDIT: Ok, gonna need to explain more. It does say that God created Adam in his image, however, it says many more times than that that there is nothing resembling God in any way, so most people just take it to mean that God gave Adam some of the traits (the ability to hear, see, think etc) that God has.

There are, as always, other interpretations.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.

Last edited by the sun fan; 11-30-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-1-2017, 01:18 AM   #34
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default BRAIN

BRAINI am intrigued by this topic.
Everyone are very 'fired up' to talk and think about religion no matter their belief
All in all, I think religion has always been a heated topic. A source of power, a source of inspiration
What really interesting about religion is the power, not the humble beliefs.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 12-1-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Old 12-1-2017, 01:54 AM   #35
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
I related to this a lot two years ago and sought religion to find meaning in my life. Now, my life is driven a lot more by goals, and that has made my life seem meaningful enough for now.
See, the issue I take, is that there's certainly better options to fill the void of a meaningless life. Screw living for an omnipotent ass wipe who literally allows / brings about wars, crusades, shootings, and suicide bombings. There's literally never any justification for why you would praise a presence that does this, or lets it happen.

"It's a test of faith" is not a good answer either because you're effectively saying their lives were to serve a purpose of testing someone else, taking away the value each life is supposed to have.

To clarify that last part: I think all life has no original meaning, and no value, unless you personally assign it one. (Which is the only reason I'd never say life is meaningless is a fact.)

I value certain people I'm friends with, and I treat people who I don't know with complete disregard. They don't matter to me.

I dunno how to really explain it any better than that.

Quote:
I feel kinda bad for people who were heavily indoctrinated. Instilling the fear of eternal punishment for finite wrongdoing into children is very effective for getting them to follow your religion and stay with it until they die.
You can't have this one thing because someone translated a book (likely wrong) said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i'll happily criticize your acquaintance pool-

it sucks and they're all stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
I don't believe in god, or follow any religion.
Lack of evidence, and I find it ridiculous
I agree with these more or less in the long run though.

I wouldn't say a person who is religious is outright stupid, but I'd maybe change it to I think they have a belief that is stupid (to me.)
Old 12-1-2017, 02:11 AM   #36
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
Religion is a good example of a concept I hold a high degree of respect for and can see how it helps many people, and has done a lot of good (bad too, I know), but was just never for me. If I had to answer, I'd say I'm happily Agnostic, though technically if you asked my family they'd deem me Lutheran. That said, my mom works for catholics, and my late grandfather was an atheist, so in general distinctions as such have never impacted my directly immediate family and such.

I've experienced as a third-party both positives and negatives due to religion. It's largely due to religion (well, and the Beatles) that I'm cut off from a portion of my immediate family; it's also thanks to religion that a few people I hold very dear to me have been helped in significant ways over the years. I've seen religion guide people to a terrific way of life, be it Christianity, Catholicism, Muslim ideologies, and everything in between.

While there are holes in each religion, I don't think it's either important nor beneficial to judge due to them. I see it as a way to help people, and to provide support and answers where there may otherwise not be. Whether or not it's "correct" or "logical" is irrelevant with my stance; if there's nobody getting hurt then I see no harm in following a path that can cause great benefit.

Of course, there's radicals and extremists that twist the purpose of religion, they can suck a dick and such etc. But for the most part, I think religion has potential to be life-saving, and can greatly help many people.
Agree with a lot of this.
AND watch anime.
Old 12-1-2017, 02:46 AM   #37
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
There's literally never any justification for why you would praise a presence that does this, or lets it happen.
I think this perspective comes from viewing God as a very personified entity who controls the universe as one would control a modded Sims 3 program.

I feel as though he's a little more of an hands-off intelligent energy wisp then that. Chances are, wars are started by greedy fuckasses who don't follow his teachings (even if they say they are COUGHCRUSADESCOUGHWEEZ)

Also

The thing about creating man in His image likely refers to the fact that man has a soul/something about them not totally physical (Animals are thought to have no soul and be more biological robots then humans are. At least, that is what I have always been taught. There is no way I believe God looks like how we physically do because in all honesty evolution is a real thing and we probably don't look / function the exact same as Adam anyway)

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Old 12-1-2017, 04:30 AM   #38
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
COUGHCRUSADESCOUGHWEEZ
Deus vult
Old 12-1-2017, 08:03 AM   #39
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
I think this perspective comes from viewing God as a very personified entity who controls the universe as one would control a modded Sims 3 program.

I feel as though he's a little more of an hands-off intelligent energy wisp then that. Chances are, wars are started by greedy fuckasses who don't follow his teachings (even if they say they are COUGHCRUSADESCOUGHWEEZ)

Why would God choose to reveal himself, delegate prophets, bestow divine wisdom etc. to an illiterate part of the Middle East a mere 2000 years ago when it's been shown through evidence humans have been around for over 100,000 years? He sat idly by watching humanity suffer through terrible predation and average life expectancies of 20-25 years for literally THOUSANDS of years and then one day said, "hey guys I'm here sry computer took forever to boot up everything's fine tho lol"

The concept of a deity or the supernatural to explain things yet explained by science can give you a warm fuzzy feeling and that is harmless so long as this remains a personal truth.

I don't have a religion (if you can't already tell) because as many others have said there is no compelling evidence to suggest a God exists. Making the argument that a form of existence or reality needs a creator is a circular one because you would need someone to create the creator and so on; it has no logical conclusion or end point. The only thing I can rationalize is a continuum of sorts which is really not much different than the concept of a multiverse. Even granting that there was a creator they would be a slave to causality from the previous creator and so on.

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-1-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Old 12-1-2017, 10:14 AM   #40
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm Christian.

I personally consider religion a mentality at this point and time.

I'm not going to tell you guys that God exist etc.
I'm just going to say that "I want to believe" it is the case.

I hope you see the subtlety.
It's an ideals vs reality thematic.

If I had to take a stance, I would say that religion is outdated.
That it needs to find its place in modern society.

I don't think religion should cease to exist, but I feel like philosophy should become the next big thing in early education.
Once you've been introduced to philosophy to the point where you can start arguing instead of just presenting an opinion; I believe this is when and only when religion should be introduced.

Well, that probably raise the question; "If you have your own interpretation of religion, are you still religious or you're no longer the real thing ?"
Is religion a box that has to fit a pile of expectations ?
Why did they change the old Testament to a new one ?

I'm simply not up to date anymore with where religion is now, but I feel like the questions people tend to have comes in conflict with what religion itself is supposed to be.
May legit need an expert here or some research before getting deeper in that topic.
Closed Thread