Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
boo4u
FFR Player

Default Oedipus/Electra complex - Real or Fake

Oedipus/Electra complex; the ideas of the glorified psychologist, Sigmund Freud. Are they fake or real. Leave your opinion but please be mature I don't have time to read unnecessary comments especially for a topic like this.
boo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter
Default Re: Oedipus/Electra complex - Real or Fake

::ruffles through his list of degrees and pulls out the psychology one::

Are you going to give us something to go on or just post a generalized topic and say, "DEBATE"?

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
boo4u
FFR Player

I have some notes on this topic i will post them on soon.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Post them when you post your thread. Posting something that simply doesn't meet the quality standards of the forum when you claim to have suitable information to start an educated discussion just stikes me as having little respect for this forum.

For starters, you should be describing how the Oedipus/Electra complex operates, perhaps providing some context about Freud (Who from your phrasing, you seem to be dismissive of anyway) and then provide a strict focus for the discussion, especially if you are going to have no time for "unnecessary comments"

Simply posting "Statement, discuss" has no place in CT.

Edit: Even though your thread doesn't currently meet standards for a CT thread, why not: The complex described by Freud as "The Oedipus complex" absolutely exists and is "real" in that there are documented cases that meet all the requirements of the complex. Perhaps a better question, inside the context of Freudian psychoanalysis would be "Is the Oedipus complex as common and widespread as Freud makes it out to be" since by definition, since it has a list of qualities and a name, it is real.

Last edited by devonin; 08-26-2007 at 09:16 PM..
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
boo4u
FFR Player

Overview of Sigmund Freud
- Developed the theory known as the Oedipus/Electra complex
-Sigmund Freud is considered the father of psychoanalysis.
-Some may refer to him as greatest psychologist to live or those who disagree with his work refer to him as a glorified pervert.
-Freud was also known for his work in the branch of psychology called Psychoanalysis.
- Freud was also famous with his work concerning the ID, EGO, SUPEREGO (divisions of the mind).

Oedipus Complex
- Oedipus complex is an idea that was developed by Sigmund Freud. Basically, Oedipus complex is an idea that involves the male child's unconscious desire for lust and love towards the mother. Also, the father is seen as an adversary and rival for the love of the mother. In other words, the child desires the death of the father.
* Note: Electra complex applies the same concept. However, Electra refers to female child's unconscious desire towards the father and hatred towards the mother.

*I apologize for not providing this information at the beginning of this thread and also for the lack of details. Fell free to edit or add on to my brief description of the topic.
SO NOW THE QUESTION: DO YOU THINK THIS THEORY IS FAKE OR REAL? IN OTHER WORDS DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THIS THEORY? FINALLY EXPLAIN WHY YOU AGREE WITH THE THEORY OR DISAGREE.
Thanks.

Last edited by boo4u; 08-26-2007 at 09:45 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Hr2
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hr2 Send a message via MSN to Hr2

Sigmund Freud, more like Sigmund Fraud. While he did a lot of good things for psychology as a whole, his views are antiquated and not really supported by the kind of rigorous research that would be required for theories as outlandish as his to garner support. All of that dream analysis stuff he thought of is garbage, and so is the Oedipus/Electra complex. The idea that our life is controlled by unconscious urges is flawed in itself, it is almost like Freud was saying "I have no idea how the brain works, so I'll say it's shrouded in mystery." When now, we know our brain is controlled by complex interactions of chemicals and that the reason some things are unconscious is because our brain carries out many functions autonomically, these are all things Freud did NOT know and therefore had to improvise.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good thinker, I'm just saying that he's wrong and if he knew what we knew today he wouldn't even believe himself. I'm slightly biased because I really dislike Sigmund Freud. But I dislike him for a good reason, because it's all a crock.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hr2 View Post
I'm not saying he wasn't a good thinker, I'm just saying that he's wrong and if he knew what we knew today he wouldn't even believe himself. I'm slightly biased because I really dislike Sigmund Freud. But I dislike him for a good reason, because it's all a crock.
I'd like perhaps a little more evidence that he is flat out wrong, since you know...Freud is still taught heavily in psychology and philosophy of mind. I'm not sure an oft repeated pun on his name, and calling him a crock suitably constitute CT level evidence.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote