Old 06-5-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

Default Lack of Stamina

On Stepmania when i play really well, i can FC the first half of the "Sterio Sayan 3D" file (being the lower level of the file, so it is playable), or the "Call me It (500 Tortures)", i can FC the first 25%-30%, or with Hi19Hi19's Blastix Riotz, i can FC the first half, or the Fautxp,c[zx (or whatever the name of it is) i can FC around the first quarter / Half, and the "Never Again" File from the etterna pack i can FC if i dont lose stamina, but i just get so tired so quickly. Any tips on how to maintain stamina? Because i feel like i can do really well if i were to not get so tired so quickly. I'll do good for the first 30% of a file and have to end it abruptly because my hands just feel really sore.
Azpb Djbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-5-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
TheSaxRunner05
The Doctor
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Lack of Stamina

I have a similar issue, but 10-20 difficulty points lower. I've always gained stamina slowly myself too.

TheSaxRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

staying calm is the best way to conserve stamina, if you can't loosen your arms just try to loosen your perspective. dont restrain yourself to tap lighter and don't not pay attention, but just don't take it too seriously

Last edited by Moria; 06-6-2018 at 01:55 AM..
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Stereo Sayan isn't stamina, the ending increases the bpm and it's faster, but because of that spike, it ends up being stamina somewhat... Generally though, it seems to me like you mean that sort of stamina, there's a few types tho imo, but

The ability to play hard things at the end after draining sections, e.g. the end in yolomania, we luv Llama, shine, icy dragonforce files, stereo Sayan to some extent.

The key to this, is you need to realize for these files, the entire file = the ending. if you watch streams, have you ever seen people say things like "wow how did I miss before the ending? I'm screwed" and it's cause, a file like stereo sayan, you are expected to FC the entire song except for the ending stream, it's a difficulty spike.

Part of it is about playing lightly and not straining yourself on things that aren't difficult relative to the difficult parts, Moria is right, stamina drain comes from straining to play things too fast and too hard and focusing too hard, just chill out, try to tap as lightly as possible etc.. Stamina is as physical as it is mental.
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

The tendons of the fingers run all the way to the elbow, where it connects to a nexus, and runs from the arm to the heart and brain. This being the case, the only assured FFR stamina exercise I know is cardio and hand grips.
A sweet benefit to cardio is that it increases the threshold of one's willpower and stamina overall.
Godspeed comrade
Old 06-6-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Moria
Sylphid
FFR Veteran

..antiIntelligence

anyway, dingles has some good advice there; more often than not its near the end of the file that stamina will hit you the hardest, conserving your efforts until its almost over ensures you still have enough to make it through. I can't count the times i've tried to maintain focused MA on files that test my speed and held amazing % until the last 1/4 only to burn out and lose my AA in the final moments because i couldn't persevere. manage yourself to execute what's most technically demanding to you personally and give only when it's needed. if a pattern doesn't test you, there's not really anything you'll gain from overemphasizing the effort you hit it with : )
Moria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
-Blue7-
Banned
FFR Veteran

Light keytaps is a big one for sure. it's important that you also want to consider keeping for lack of a better term "the inside of your hands" lose.

I did figure out a neat little trick couple years back where by flexing my biceps or even fore arms while playing, you can purposely emphasize tension in other muscles well leaving the more important ones loose and relaxed. That's really my only gold nugget to offer, other than that I can relate with you completely I don't like playing stamina really at all. Of course my idea of stamina might be more intense than someone else's who hasn't been put through the same kind of conditioning.

Edit: dingles did bring up an interesting point, that stamina can potentially be as mental as it is physical - and well that may be hard to understand at first, a good way to help demonstrate that to yourself is to put a song on autoplay and tap your fingers on the desk or in the case of ffr just watch a replay of yourself playing something and for some reason you'll feel as if you can go on forever tapping to a replay instead of the actual game itself.

Last edited by -Blue7-; 06-6-2018 at 11:59 AM..
-Blue7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-6-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I got stamina from giving my all while playing dumps once a day, but still being mindful of my limits. I jump trilled while trying to keep up the pace of the song when I couldn't read or keep up while playing normally.
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class

Last edited by Rapta; 06-6-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-7-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

Also;

Idk if this is important to say in this thread, but i use Q K O P

Q: Left Index Finger
K: Right Index Finger
O: Right Middle Finger
P: Right Ring Finger

often times, i am unable to do quick right trills, due to my hand placement; but i cannot play 2:2 at all. I have to play 1:3
Old 06-7-2018, 10:12 PM   #10
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

seems like a huge disadvantage to play like that
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #11
Azpb Djbread
FFR Player

believe it or not, i can play really well; its just that R E A L L Y fast trills on the right get me, but normal trills are fine. It's a lot more convenient then it sounds.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

dont be bad, switch to spread
Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
mewtikz
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azpb Djbread View Post
believe it or not, i can play really well; its just that R E A L L Y fast trills on the right get me, but normal trills are fine. It's a lot more convenient then it sounds.
Take competitive FPS games for example... you can play just fine with a microsoft wireless mouse, rubber-dome keyboard, 60 Hz monitor, 90 FPS ingame, blah blah blah. It's not that those things are holding you back, it's just that when you switch to a precision mouse, mechanical keyboard, 144 Hz monitor, 300 FPS ingame, you're going to be more efficient and max out the skill you already have.

In your case, you're going to have a lot of rewiring to do if you do consider switching
mewtikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtikz View Post
In your case, you're going to have a lot of rewiring to do if you do consider switching
doing marginally better than normal in the short term while crippling yourself in the long term < spending a week or two re-learning muscle memory
Old 06-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #15
FirstMaple8
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to FirstMaple8 Send a message via AIM to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Yahoo to FirstMaple8 Send a message via Skype™ to FirstMaple8

just play icyworld and evening files
FirstMaple8 is offline   Reply With Quote