Old 05-4-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
ddrmaniacaaa
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Whats wrong with my Itunes?

ok so i recently wiped my itunes library and both of my ipods clean (1st gen 40 GB and 3rd Gen Nano 8GB.) Most of the time when i download an album and drag and drop the tracks into itunes it has a very difficult time figuring out the artist and the song order. Even though at first glance they look to be in order when i sync them to my ipod, my i pod shows them out of order and a lot of them say "unknown artist".

To get around this I have been making individual playlists for each album and have numbered the tracks myself by putting 01,02,etc at the begining of each track. This is boring and tiresome (not to mention there is not enough room to view the playlist title in either itunes or your ipod before the blacklight goes out.)

My second problem involves music folders. When i download a rar or zip file i generally extract the tracks onto the desktop, then put them into itunes. At a later date i get around to putting the folder in its "proper" place. I have two questions on this one. First, why does itunes insist on maknig me a brand new folder on my desktop for each artist that i drag and drop some tracks to? Second, why does itunes tell me that it cannot find my music when i move it from my desktop to another location? i literally have to delete the playlist i had previously made and copy and paste from the new location and start the process all over again.

Any solutions or programs that you work with would be apreciated.
ddrmaniacaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
midnghtraver
Icarus Moth
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Whats wrong with my Itunes?

1. Keep doing what your doing, and don't be lazy

2. Put all your tracks in a folder, drag the folder, it will put them in order.

3. You probably have iTunes sorting them via alphabetical order.

4. iTunes is recognizing your mp3/wav/or whatever files from your desktop.

5. When you move your music from your desktop to a different location iTunes still thinks their on the desktop and will try and find them in the desktop folder and when it can't, it will give you the error message. Don't put them on your desktop in the first place, put them in your music folder then drag. Taking the few extra seconds to stay organized is important.

EDIT: also would have probably been better to ask this in Chit Chat, woulda gotten more responses.
midnghtraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
ddrxero64
FFR Player

For the error after moving music, it's because (as midnightraver said) it looks for the music in that folder. Unlike Windows Media Player, it's not constantly updating the music on your computer. It's an iTunes player that updates music you'd buy, so don't expect the greatest player in the world. But if you moved all your songs in that folder, it should be asking you where to find that song. For example, you moved a whole album from your desktop to your Music folder in My Documents. If iTunes asks where to find it and you find the file again, it'll ask "Use this location to find other missing files?" In that case say yes, and all your erroneous files should be fixed.

Every time I download a song or album I set the time aside to fix all labels. For example, if I downloaded an mp3, I put it in the music folder, I then add it to iTunes and I right click and click Get Info. Here you'll find the information that iTunes uses to organize things. You can even set certain songs to play at smaller/louder volumes, such as a piano song that is somewhat soft. You can organize titles, artist, etc. And always check the lyrics on the last tab, when downloading mp3's people sometimes advertise their site and post it there. Delete it, and if you're willing find the lyrics to the song paste them there. You might not need it, but with the iPod touch you can scroll through lyrics while enjoying a song, it's a neat feature if you're interested.

One more thing. Don't ever wipe your iPod clean, it's really unnecessary. If you view your iPod while it's connected you won't see anything. But that's because they're hidden folders. Unhide the folders and find the music files. You'll see that they are labeled weird, usually with 4 character labels such as 4GX7. Most people assume it's not safe to copy that, but copy all the music there and keep it. When you erase your iPod of everything and install a new iTunes have iTunes add all those songs again. It'll neatly organize itself again with all the info you stored on them, including proper labels and lyrics. All you'll need to do is create the playlists again.

Hope that helps, speaking off the top of my head so things may have changed since the last time I used iTunes.
ddrxero64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-4-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
T-Force
Your world ends with you
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced Tab. Click the checkbox asking to "Copy files to the iTunes Media Folder when adding to library".

This way, anything you add will go to the iTunes folder, and it will search for it there, and find it.
T-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-7-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
ddrmaniacaaa
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
For the error after moving music, it's because (as midnightraver said) it looks for the music in that folder. Unlike Windows Media Player, it's not constantly updating the music on your computer. It's an iTunes player that updates music you'd buy, so don't expect the greatest player in the world. But if you moved all your songs in that folder, it should be asking you where to find that song. For example, you moved a whole album from your desktop to your Music folder in My Documents. If iTunes asks where to find it and you find the file again, it'll ask "Use this location to find other missing files?" In that case say yes, and all your erroneous files should be fixed.

Every time I download a song or album I set the time aside to fix all labels. For example, if I downloaded an mp3, I put it in the music folder, I then add it to iTunes and I right click and click Get Info. Here you'll find the information that iTunes uses to organize things. You can even set certain songs to play at smaller/louder volumes, such as a piano song that is somewhat soft. You can organize titles, artist, etc. And always check the lyrics on the last tab, when downloading mp3's people sometimes advertise their site and post it there. Delete it, and if you're willing find the lyrics to the song paste them there. You might not need it, but with the iPod touch you can scroll through lyrics while enjoying a song, it's a neat feature if you're interested.

One more thing. Don't ever wipe your iPod clean, it's really unnecessary. If you view your iPod while it's connected you won't see anything. But that's because they're hidden folders. Unhide the folders and find the music files. You'll see that they are labeled weird, usually with 4 character labels such as 4GX7. Most people assume it's not safe to copy that, but copy all the music there and keep it. When you erase your iPod of everything and install a new iTunes have iTunes add all those songs again. It'll neatly organize itself again with all the info you stored on them, including proper labels and lyrics. All you'll need to do is create the playlists again.

Hope that helps, speaking off the top of my head so things may have changed since the last time I used iTunes.
Ok thanks i understand now that i have to place my music where i want it first before i do anything with itunes. Question: I have never gotten the use this location to search for other files message, is there a way i can set that in itunes manually so i know where to extract my files to?

Interesting point on the lyrics, but can i do this on a nano or original?
The get info feature does not work for me all thie time because i listen to a lot of unpopular bands that are not on itunes (or a demo tape or other unrealeased material from a popular band), which is why i have been labeling myself.

Oh, and there were benefits to wipeing my ipod. I was specifically talking about the 1st gen ipod, which i got for free used from a friend. It had 40GB worth of music, most of which i did not want to listen to. Rather than dealing with the entire catalogue of 4 digit hidden files like you mentioned, i just decided to scrap it and start fresh. I also found that doing this has trippled the ipod's battery life. Copy/paste would not have worked for me because my hard drive is only 50GB.
ddrmaniacaaa is offline   Reply With Quote