Old 10-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default So you say you have an idea...

So, when I saw the ffr pokemon style thread I wrote a long response, and then decided it would probably be more interesting as its own thread.

The problem will making "FFR the pokemon game" or "FFR the TCG" or "FFR the shooter" is that you're changing the theme of something that doesn't inherently have a theme. You're less adding on to the game, and more just making an entirely different game... which is a reasonable development approach if you think of FFR as a generic "rhythm game community," but really, what I'd rather try to do is make "FFR" a game that is fun enough on it's own to sustain a community that is content to... just play FFR.

Of course, I can't speak for the rest of the developers, or those who have a say, and I don't know for sure what the community wants, but so far the frame of mind has been in agreement with me, that is, making new self-contained game systems that are loosely connected to the game engine itself is something that the community has to manage itself. In general, I don't think you can expect support from the developers until the idea has fully taken shape, is proven to be of interest, and agrees with the overall vision of the development team.

For example, consider the several months it took to get the current skill rating system established.

I'm not trying to discourage new ideas, in fact, new ideas like mine, silvuh's, Prawnskunk's, and s1rnight's (collectively credited for the skill rating system) are the only thing that will lead to positive change.

But... as a word of caution

Please consider my thoughts above when you post your big idea. The dev team will not, and cannot, build your idea for you.

... And I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this policy

[EDIT: Happy Halloween... enjoy spooky levels of transparency]
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.

Last edited by Trumpet63; 10-31-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Default Re: So you say you have an idea...

I can't say I really have an argument to this, as I definitely understand how some things are going to be much higher priority than others.

A prime example to support trumpet's point would be the times I pushed for the comeback of the usermap