Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games

Old 01-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #41
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

because it's actually shit
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #42
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

because this is a good bait thread
Also 2 years has passed and people have (mostly) given up on shitting on o!m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 AM   #43
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

op never came back
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #44
Josemba
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

LNs are fun, but SV sucks

Last edited by Josemba; 01-16-2020 at 11:02 AM..
Josemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #45
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
because it's actually shit

Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #46
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

damn guess the counterbait worked

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #47
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality
I mean, I didn’t in that post, but eh. Keep up the attempts to be petty.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #48
Untimely Friction
D6 Challeneged
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

No one is mentioning that leaderboards may not be important, so far as top ranks, but are important to glean a sense of self improvement

Many players want to get better. If because of a bad ranking system you rank up, but arent appreciably getting better, you will feel bad. O!m encourages combo and bad habbits, a la manipulation. The ways you appear to get better objectively make you less accurate, or not learn the fundamentals. The mid to low range playera (most players) will suffer big time due to this, and the high level players will already have vsrg experience to know how to actually get better.

The ranking system needs to be diverse and well implemented for the majority of people to FEEL like they are improving, and actually be able to demonstrate it, or they will quit or call it a shit game.

K go home i answered the thread

Edit: ffr and etterna cleanly glean how you are getting better, thus they give more value to the player.

O!m is bigger because it forks off the established very different osu!

Comparing their actual popularity is donwright uninformed as to *how* people find games.

Last edited by Untimely Friction; 06-28-2021 at 11:27 PM..
Untimely Friction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #49
Wiosna
for you, eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquellex View Post
IIDX is just osu! with a turntable
facts
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:58 AM   #50
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

i look forward to posting in this thread in 10 years when people will still be posting in this thread every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #51
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

people having fun is cool
Old 06-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #52
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #53
FlynnMac
Boom.
Local FFR Person
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The way I see it, just let people enjoy what they want y'all, it's not hard. I personally prefer osu!mania over etterna and I'm doing well off. There's not one set way to do things and people shouldn't be forced to line up with one's specific rhythm game opinions. There really isn't much else needing to be said here.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #54
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons
this seems like the only good critique i've heard out of anything so far.

also love that this thread is eternal and you can bump it any time any year to pick up right where you left off.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #55
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

it's almost impossible to do well with a touchpad x.x (at least for me)

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #56
Wiosna
for you, eternally

serious comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section. It seems to have fizzled out or at least delegated into a much smaller circle than it used to be. I think it has a lot to do with how older charters have been phasing out of osu!mania, but there are still people (primarily in Asian circles) taking influence from those older mappers or were taught by them.

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not) and way too little on how a chart plays, many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.

That said, the o!m community is indeed pretty shitty because of the number of really dumb and occasionally malicious young sheltered people with anime avatars. This also includes some of the charting community. The groomers don't help too!

I do think that there are a lot of valid reasons to dislike osu!mania in general, either as an engine, as a community (or the people who are higher up), or in terms of charting approach in general. In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.

Last edited by Wiosna; 06-29-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #57
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

serious response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiosna View Post
The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section.
that's one of the issues imo, o!m's scoring system kinda necessitates the kinds of charts that are easy to farm. if your chart is not deemed worthy enough to be ranked, there is far less reason to play it. that'll dictate the meta in some way. unless o!m players are jaded about pp now and don't give a shit about it anymore lol

Quote:
It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.
tbqh this kinda sounds like the same "artistic" evolution of charts that stpemaina saw, may b interested in looking at some of the better ones that you can think of

Quote:
I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not)
and way too little on how a chart plays many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.
generally I think there should be a balance of aesthetics and playability, especially if the chart is a technical one (as in more directly adheres to the music). with a dump I'd say there's more wiggle room and kinda depends on the charter's intent (see putaria). but if I can't play your dump because of some dumb patterns it better be fun as fuck to watch

Quote:
In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.
ye that's pretty convenient, I've been doing the stepmania file sharing business for too long I suppose

Last edited by choof; 06-30-2021 at 12:31 PM..
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #58
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I don't necessarily think o!m is really that bad of a game - especially when it brought some players over to etterna as well. If anything, that's a blessing in disguise.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #59
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

o!m is dogshit because people tell me it's dogshit and I have no reason to not believe them

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #60
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
o!m is dogshit because people tell me it's dogshit and I have no reason to not believe them
So you have never played the game before?
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 06-30-2021 at 05:53 PM..
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote