Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
mrdawn2
FFR Player

Default why do people hate on osu!mania??

everywhere i look on forums people just hate on osu all the time?
why hate? it has lots of good things like a automatic rating system (star rate) which current sm 5 does not have nor ffr
it also has a nice leaderboard system which are counted off pp which is very well maintained and is still is gonna have a massive overhaul to make it even better.
together with having lots of different types of maps (from one to ten keys!) i dont see any reason to dislike it.
mrdawn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

- Flawed rating system
- Laggy for some people
- Ranked charts not hard enough I heard
- Column colors is very hard to get used to
- Personally upscroll is not supported well enough for most skins

Just some reasons here.
Fantasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

It's garbage
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdawn2 View Post
why hate? it has lots of good things like a automatic rating system (star rate) which current sm 5 does not have nor ffr
it also has a nice leaderboard system which are counted off pp which is very well maintained and is still is gonna have a massive overhaul to make it even better.
together with having lots of different types of maps (from one to ten keys!) i dont see any reason to dislike it.

star rating is trash because its based purely on max nps regardless of patterns (which in turn forces a meta in which mappers create heavily manipulatable maps so that they get popular and pushed for rank. on a side note the ranking system is flawed and run by idiots who cant tell the difference between streams and handstreams)

the leaderboard is inclusive of all keymodes, which means that 7k players dominate it. its also based on pp, which is based on SR, which is complete shit

also sure sm5 doesnt have it, but sm5 is trash. thats why we use etterna which has a rating system infinitely better than sr

all the maps on osu are complete garbage save from converts from other games.

skinning in om is super minimal and almost nothing can really be accomplished with it outside of putting fucking anime girls everywhere.

it has a cancerous reddit-tier community that doesnt know the first thing about VSRG games and hivemind worships any half decent player they see.

also the devs dont have a fucking clue about rhythm games in general and the whole game is a joke.

oh yeah and their acc system is complete trash too. theres almost no punishment for missing notes

Last edited by PixlSM; 11-16-2017 at 04:16 PM..
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

sure love me some "how fast can you smash ur keys!!!" leaderboards mmmmmmmm
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticone View Post
- Ranked charts not hard enough I heard
There are some hard ranked charts. It's just the hard ones are usually the gay ones.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Etterna > FFR > Osumania imo
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
star rating is trash because its based purely on max nps regardless of patterns (which in turn forces a meta in which mappers create heavily manipulatable maps so that they get popular and pushed for rank. on a side note the ranking system is flawed and run by idiots who cant tell the difference between streams and handstreams)
Stepmania didn't have a rating system outside of "user says it's this hard" that is by far the most inconsistent rating system possible. Etterna fixes this, but this is not an arguement for osumania being trash considering where stepmania has come from. This has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

Quote:
the leaderboard is inclusive of all keymodes, which means that 7k players dominate it. its also based on pp, which is based on SR, which is complete shit
Leaderboards should not mean this much to you or anyone. It's cool to know that a player can top the ratings of any given video game, but to call osumania trash because the leaderboards require you to be better than someone else, well that's kind of silly. If osumania didn't have a leaderboard whatsoever, similar to how stepmania has been all these years would that make it equal to stepmania or better, or is the inclusion of a feature that stepmania has not had up to this point make osumania the worse game? What does that say about stepmania now having leaderboards in the form of etternaonline? Etterna does it better, but it's not something that inherently makes etterna better.

Quote:
also sure sm5 doesnt have it, but sm5 is trash. thats why we use etterna which has a rating system infinitely better than sr
You're really stuck to this rating thing. SM5 doesn't have it, sm3.95 doesn't have it, SM before etterna doesn't have it, we still played stepmania instead of osumania, even when osumania had a leaderboard. Why do you think that is? My personal opinion is the rating, and leaderboards do not mean anything for the actual gameplay.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, I personally like maps/charts from both games.

Quote:
skinning in om is super minimal and almost nothing can really be accomplished with it outside of putting fucking anime girls everywhere.
I will also give you this one, stepmania has far superior options when it comes to skinning/themeing. But take into consideration that may not be the important thing behind stepmania when you suggest etterna is the best version of stepmania. We are currently funneled into 1 theme supported by etterna; Til'Death. I will say this when it comes to any game, gameplay before graphics.

Quote:
it has a cancerous reddit-tier community that doesnt know the first thing about VSRG games and hivemind worships any half decent player they see.
Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

Quote:
also the devs dont have a fucking clue about rhythm games in general and the whole game is a joke.
I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.

Quote:
oh yeah and their acc system is complete trash too. theres almost no punishment for missing notes
This is kind of a silly statement considering both stepmania and osumania are about self improvement and self enjoyment. You set your own goals, challenge yourself, push your own limits. You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.

~I enjoy OsuMania, Stepmania, and FFR, stepmania the most of the 3. I enjoy all 3 communities, I started playing osumania recently and the community has been warm and welcoming and downright absolutely has the best MP experience of the 3. You can play against very good players in all 3 games, make friends, experience new things, and not only that it's constant. I'm not here to defend stepmania, osumania, or FFR, but there is no way these statements have been indicative of the true experience of any of the 3 games. It's a lot of trash talk and I would really appreciate if everyone could put their differences aside and enjoy the game.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
I want to address OP as well.
People hate on osu for the same reasons people hate on stepmania. It's mostly because we (communities) can not set aside our differences and just have a good time. There have been hot arguments between the the 2 communities over trivial things that most often boils down to petty differences. Everyone is guilty, and we (communities) should take a mature step back and really take a hard look at each other. Neither game is bad, neither community wants to be the bad guys, but we all wind up rubbing off that way. You say you see hate on the forums all the time, it's most likely the vocal minority speaking here. Please if you want to enjoy stepmania you are absolutely welcome to come and play, the same should go for anyone wanting to play osumania; and if not then let it be water under the bridge.

I still stand by the leaderboards and star rating system are not especially important for osumania, the same for leaderboards and etterna rating system in etterna/stepmania. This is not to undermine anyone elses work on trying to build a good rating system, it's an incredibly useful tool to have to know approximately how hard something will be before you play it. But at the end of the day, the true value of either game is your own personally defined experience, how much fun you have, and what you want from the game.

Osumania has great support for 4k and 7k, along with other game modes, osu is not 100% core focused around 4k play, while stepmania pretty much is (and pretty good 6k play). This is where a lot of differences and arguments stem from, the simple matter of the fact is osu is not stepmania and never will be, and the same goes for stepmania never being osu. Osu is a whole package, taiko, osu standard, mania, ctb, there's so much variety, it's so open for many players, there's so much content, but on that same note stepmania has many more years of content specifically catered towards mostly 4k. Stepmania likely has the better 4k experience, but osumania i don't think is very far behind, we stand on the shoulders of giants, and progress has always been a way forward, both games are constantly generating user content. I think such dedication is beautiful, i welcome it with open heart and mind, and i enjoy both games.

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 11-16-2017 at 09:10 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
Walrusizer
D7 Elite Keymasher

Send a message via Skype™ to Walrusizer

osssssss doesnt even have rates

ur done son
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
It's garbage
This is the kind of garbage comments everyone should ignore.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

osu is objectively better than ffr and if you think otherwise you are delusional

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
leonid
I am leonid

one could prefer etterna if you don't care much about online ranking

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #14
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

star rating = trash
lag = always
community = trash ( only the ones who decide what beatmaps can be get ranked )

well but exist a way to make rate beatmaps but not many people know how to do it

i play sometimes both games but only for fun.

forgot to say
both games do the same function .

Bye.

Last edited by Sidek; 11-16-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #15
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidek View Post
star rating = trash
lag = always
community = trash ( only the ones who decide what beatmaps can be get ranked )

well but exist a way to make rate beatmaps but not many people know how to do it

i play sometimes both games but only for fun.
star rating shouldn't have bearing on on your enjoyment of the game, stepmania has not had a good rating system until recently. osumania was ahead of the game, they beat us to the punch.

lag is a legitimate reason to not like the game, i personally rarely experience lag but that's case by case.

It's not cool to just slanderously rag on a community like this, it's this level of immaturity that perpetually gives both communities the idea that each other suck. Despite the bad cookies in both stepmania and osumania, you should put yourself above such idiotic bickering, it serves no good purpose.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
star rating shouldn't have bearing on on your enjoyment of the game, stepmania has not had a good rating system until recently. osumania was ahead of the game, they beat us to the punch.

lag is a legitimate reason to not like the game, i personally rarely experience lag but that's case by case.

It's not cool to just slanderously rag on a community like this, it's this level of immaturity that perpetually gives both communities the idea that each other suck. Despite the bad cookies in both stepmania and osumania, you should put yourself above such idiotic bickering, it serves no good purpose.
yeah you are right.

Bye.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:09 AM   #17
DDR_Anna
FFR Player

My only real "issue" with o!m is long notes

1. Having to let go at the end of the notes always (mentally) gets me
2. If I have to hold a note (in columns 2 and 3) while doing complex patterns, I will most likely fail everything at that part

however, do note I started mania after months of long note-less ffr so
Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

Quote:

This post is absolutely beautiful.

Idk I played osumania for like 2 weeks. Column colors were awful and nigh impossible for me to get used to. I was stuck in downscroll and didn't care enough to download the whatever it is I need to make upscroll happen (which should be a feature, not an add-on). The letting go of freezes on time was just ugh, so I quit because it was too far off from what I was used to. Also, I'd watch hentai if I wanted to hear that much anime whining.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 11-17-2017 at 12:30 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #19
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

you guys all missed the mark pretty hard

Quote:
every one of these points is demonstrably false and you cite them as reasons not to hate on osu

this means you are either stupid, willfully ignorant, just plain ignorant, or some combination of these things and despite this you jet off to other communities and game forums to advertise your game as being better than others

even more unfortunately you are representative of the osu player base

that is why everyone hates on osu

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 11-17-2017 at 06:41 AM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
things
im just addressing some of the things brought up in the OP.

as far as maps, yes a LOT of the maps are completely boring anime ops with very basic layering and no pr.

They dont allow dumps to be ranked, meaning hard maps are very limited.

The beatmap ranking system is run by people who probably dont even know what pr is anyways. and even if the BNs or whatever they are called knew what they were doing, the ground rules set in place are unnecessary and convoluted and as a result the ranked maps suffer.

about the leaderboards and ratings thing, once again I was responding to the OP. that being said, my statement about SR (which is a bad system) affecting the mapping meta in osu (lots of jumptrills, difficulty spikes, manipulatable patterns) still stands.

as far as the whole gameplay > graphics:
sure gameplay is more important, but the gameplay is osu is really bad (very easy to mash, poor acc system, score system is a complete joke, etc)

also if the skinning system is so bad I cant even get a setup I can read, thats pretty shit

Quote:
Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

again, the OP was about "why do people hate on osumania"

the community is a perfectly valid reason to hate a game (especially when its so integrated with everything in the game)

Quote:
I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.
I didnt say its NOT a rhythm game, im saying the devs dont know shit about rhythm gaming, and they have demonstrated it several times in the past (scorev2, combo scoring in std, peppy defending how easy it is to mash in om, etc)

Quote:
You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.
I'd LOVE to see someone even try to call Wife scoring shit. Hell, even MIGS takes a massive shit on osumania's two scoring systems.

Last edited by PixlSM; 11-17-2017 at 08:20 AM..
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote