Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles
Default Re: win 8.1 sucks

If you want to take the cheaper route and get 7 thats fine, nothing wrong with that by itself.

Windows 8 is still better, and if spending $2.99 to improve the UI is what's breaking the deal for you then lol... just lol...
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #22
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
So once you disable that new UI then what is the problem?
Maybe we're looking at this in two different ways. Tweaking Windows 8 to run like Windows 7/Windows XP takes online tutorials, time, and effort. A large reason that people even know what "Metro" means is because there are so many articles online that tell you how unwieldy it is.

For users, especially when it comes to the average user (trust me, you and I are both not average users), Windows 8 is a step backwards. A bunch of things are "broken." You can get Windows 8 to boot straight to desktop, but this involves know-how. You can get files to open in desktop applications and not Metro, but this involves know-how. You can get the start menu back (which has quite literally been a major defining feature of Windows since Windows '95). but this involves know-how, and some money. You can remove bloatware, but this is far harder than it is on Windows 7 and involves know-how. You can have multiple windowed Metro apps running on the desktop, but this involves third-party applications (which means it's not truly native). Getting Windows 8 to look and feel like an operating system that has dominated the market for over 20 years, takes time, effort, third-party applications, and extra money. This is not indicative of a good operating system, and this isn't even my opinion. There are hundreds, if not thousands of articles online about why Windows 8 is a step in the wrong direction, and there is a very vocal community that is sticking with Windows 7, because even though Windows 8 handles resources better than Windows 7 (YMMV), Windows 7 is better than Windows 7.

You don't change a tried-and-true formula after 20 years.

Last edited by choof; 09-12-2014 at 12:23 AM..
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #23
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
So basically you have to spend money on windows 8 to get it to be windows 7
There are a few free alternatives. After that it has plenty of improvements on windows 7.

It just seems silly to say "windows 8 sucks" because of something you can fix with a 5mb program and 30 seconds of time. I doubt the tech illiterate masses will ever figure it out, but for me it has worked far better than win7 ever has.

Not to say Microsoft didn't make a mistake and I'd imagine they will try and separate the desktop release and the tablet/touchscreen releases in the future.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 AM   #24
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I mentioned before that I haven't had any problems with 8.1, but I guess that wasn't entirely correct.
1. Flash 9 standalone likes to completely black out my screen if I try to change any settings when playing FFR. This happens on multiple engines, so I'm guessing it's something on Flash's end and not FFR.
2. Some programs don't support win 8.1 very well. Hearthstone has to be run in win7 compatibility mode or it can render every program on your computer inoperable when you close out of it and you're forced to do a hard shut down.
3. I have charms turned off but they still show up. Go figure.
4. The fact that Control Panel and PC Settings are two different applications (with PC Settings being a Metro app) is incredibly dumb.
5. The pre-installed Skype Metro app is terrible omg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
1. You can get files to open in desktop applications and not Metro, but this involves know-how.

2. You can get the start menu back (which has quite literally been a major defining feature of Windows since Windows '95). but this involves know-how, and some money.
1. I've never had any files open up in Metro (and I've never fiddled with any settings in that regard).

2. There is a built-in option that makes the metro page look kinda like a full screen start menu (that you can easily exit out of via the windows key). It's in the same area as where you select to boot straight to desktop.

Example of what it looks like (desktop background is in the bg, obv).

Last edited by tosh; 09-12-2014 at 02:11 AM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
5. The pre-installed Skype Metro app is terrible omg.
this is true, metro skype is a fucking trainwreck
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #26
RNGRX
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Windows 8 comes with Hyper-V. Windows 8 is the shit. I just don't know how to navigate the GUI.
RNGRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #27
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

totally agree win 8.1 sucks

Bye.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #28
choof
Banned

I'm going to humbly bump this thread because after working with 8 and Server 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGRX View Post
Windows 8 comes with Hyper-V. Windows 8 is the shit.
This. Absolutely. Fucking. Owns.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
choof
Banned

The interface still sucks and will always suck, but the resource management in 2012, when compared to 2008, is definitely noticeable.

At this point I still wouldn't recommend that people make the switch from 7 to 8/8.1 (especially since 10 is in development), but running Server 2012 instead of 2008 absolutely makes a difference.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #30
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

wait why the fuck are you people paying for start menus in windows 8 are you retarded
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #31
choof
Banned

people pay to downgrade from 8 to 7 so I'm not exactly sure why you're surprised
Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #32
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

why would you pay to downgrade to a shittier os

that's like hiring a bully with your lunch money to beat you up.

either get a computer with windows 7 already on it, brave the learning curve of installing a new os for a computer, or torrent windows 7 idk. PAYING for windows 8 to look like windows 7 is retarded. Pretty sure you could just download programs to make the change for you free, then again I haven't delved into it.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 11-20-2014 at 05:48 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #33
choof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
why would you pay to downgrade to a shittier os
I would not, power users would not.
Your average, every day user would absolutely revert to an older operating system, especially if it's still comfortable to use for them. I mean, shit dude, XP was industry standard for at least 10 years, and Windows 7, although fundamentally revamped in practically every way, had a solid air of familiarity to it. The learning curve when going from XP to 7 was almost non-existent.

Look at the usage shares for last month.
Windows 7 - 53.05%
Windows XP - 17.18%
Windows 8/8.1 - 16.80%

Your average user is willing to use an operating system that hit EoL 7 months ago over an operating system that was released 2 years ago. Why do you think this is?

I'll say it again. You don't change a tried-and-true formula after 20 years.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #34
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

amen

still wouldn't pay money to change the way it looks though when I could probably find something on the internet to do it if it's that much of a bother to cover it up for average, everyday users.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 11-20-2014 at 06:32 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote