Sigh.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...w_zealand_text

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #42
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan
Default Re: A CT thread for those that aren't Critical Thinkers

Okay, that is the kind of thing I would take up the opposite stance on. Text-based communication like forums and instant messaging is one thing, but being taught that such "language" is acceptable in the real world is entirely another.
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 AM   #43
Krazl
FFR Player

Maybe to make squeak happy 'lol' should be turned into its own sentence all the time. People could type out their original message and input the 'lol' where the smiley should go. The difference being that because 'lol' is not a smiley face, it must have proper punctuation before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
That sucks =p

That sucks =(

That sucks lol
Would turn into...

That sucks =P
That sucks =(
That sucks. Lol.

"That sucks. Laughing out loud." Makes a whole lote more sense than the previous version. It still doesn't flow very well though

A lot of people don't really use it as an acronym and instead use 'lol' incorrectly as a laughing smiley face; as pointed out in Squeek's third example.
Krazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #44
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

I don't consider "lol" an acronym, and it doesn't bother me at all that it techincally is one.

Honestly, the phrase "lol" is rarely, rarely, rarely EVER used as a real acronym to mean "laughing out loud". I use it to substitute for "heh" all the time, and I know plenty of other reasonably "grammatically intelligent" people who do the same thing. If you read "lol" as an acronym that means "laughing out loud", you really just aren't reading it correctly, because when used, it never really means that--sort of like when the word "decimate" is used, it never really means "to reduce by a factor of ten".

As for the news article Guido posted...wow, that's retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.

Last edited by Shashakiro; 11-10-2006 at 10:59 AM..
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #45
spyke252
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to spyke252

What is the basic premise of a conversation? A conversation is defined as the transfer of thoughts or ideas from one person to another. (Sadly, I am at school and cannot get a quote from Wiki, internet is blocked)

As long as the audience understands what is being said, I believe the use in acronyms such as "lol" at the end of a sentence, "u" instead of "you", "fo rizzle" instead of "for real," etc.

However, talking in 1337 (Which originated as a sort of code for hackers? Check Wiki for me, ok?) causes trouble for the reader, usually resulting in the loss of understanding. (Apparently, as intended, if it did indeed originate as a code)

As for people sounding like idiots, I do agree. Typing "lyke dis" shows the lack of thought and time put into creating the post, so it can usually be assumed that the thought behind the post is not worthy of me taking the time to interpret what said idiot is trying to say. However, one or two minor mistakes (Such as putting commas after quotation marks... I still really do not understand that) that do not hinder the reader's ability to interpret a post, do not need to be looked at with scorn. And I doubt they do.
NOTE: Squeek's correction of words like "definitely" are not so that others can understand what they are saying, that I know of, who wouldn't understand "definately" to mean the same thing. I believe his corrections are for the poster, so that the poster realizes their mistake... as spelling "definately" in formal writing may make a professor believe that the person did not spend the time on his essay or whatever. Basically, the syllogism is
Code:
People who spend time/put effort on what they write must have a reason to write.
You put effort into your essay.
Thus, you must have a reason to write your essay, so I should read it.
The converse is true as well.

Seriously, compare the Garbage Bin to the Critical Thinking forum (Excluding the idiots in this thread.) There is a difference, as the audience is changed from those who want to learn, to those who want to relax.
spyke252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #46
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laharl View Post
Seems this thread has strayed from my original point.

I simply want to know why anyone would willfully appear like an idiot? Most the time, people don't like being regarded as a fool or an idiot in person, so why do they do it on the internet?
Some people dont see themselves as an idiot for typing like that. But as you pointed out, that is what happens regardless of what the typer thinks.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #47
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

It doesn't bother me that much, but that depends on the degree to which they've mutilated the english language. I don't harp over grammatical errors, simple spelling mistakes, or things like lol, because I make them and make mistakes frequently.

So I suppose there is just a line you don't cross. I don't think every post should reflect your most gramatically correct pompous prose, I know I definitely don't care that much when making a post and rarely check them over, but people are going to judge you at the end of the day, so making yourself look like an idiot probably isn't the best idea.

I suppose being stupid is cool, in the teenage population. I see it all the time. It just isn't popular to be intelligent anymore...sadly...but this highly depends on who you hang out with I suppose. As you get older or head into higher education, being intelligent will make you shine, because the dumb people don't get anywhere.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #48
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke252 View Post
NOTE: Squeek's correction of words like "definitely" are not so that others can understand what they are saying, that I know of, who wouldn't understand "definately" to mean the same thing. I believe his corrections are for the poster, so that the poster realizes their mistake...
Truth. Whenever I correct my friends on any matter, grammar included, it's for their benefit. I can't just sit idly by while I let my friend make a fool of himself by using the word "pension" for "penchant". I'd rather correct him and solve all future problems.

Even if I don't like you, I'd still rather you at least type properly so as to not look like a moron. There's enough stupid in the world today, so I'm doing my part to not perpetuate its existence.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #49
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
There's enough stupid in the world today, so I'm doing my part to not perpetuate its existence.
That makes two of us.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #50
dunlop
FFR Player

Quote:

On a forum, hells no. Run-on sentences make my eyes and nose bleed. Seriously. Post a sentence remotely like the first sentence of Tale of Two Cities and when I start to bleed, I'll post a picture so you guys can see I'm not kidding.

Quote:
I have a question to pose to people that use any form of alternate spellings on common words, such as abbreviating the words "you" and "are" as "u" and "r" respectively, or for some reason, add the letter z to the end of everything or use multiple punctuation marks at the end of a particular sentence. (hey u guyz whatz up??)

Oh the Irony.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment.

Last edited by dunlop; 11-10-2006 at 06:11 PM..
dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #51
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl

How is that a run-on sentence? It gets to a point and while I could split it into three sentences, I could also simply keep it all together.

I'll go take it ****ing Orson Scott Card to validate it as a completely legitimate sentence if I have to.

This is why FFR frustrates me to no end.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #52
-Izzy-
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to -Izzy-

I love how laharl is trying to look cool in this thread by acting like he doesnt understand common lazyness. No laharl. You arnt funny.
-Izzy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #53
spyke252
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to spyke252

Izzy... WTF are you talking about!?

As you can see, the acronym here is not because it saves time, or puts emphasis on any one point of my post, but because it is a simple term that almost everyone knows and understands, and I do it out of habit.
spyke252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #54
-Izzy-
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

Good job missing the point.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #55
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Everyone look at Izzy's last two posts and see what earns you warnings/bans in CT.

Back on topic, people.

--Guido

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #56
-Izzy-
Banned
FFR Simfile Author

This isnt even a topic its pure retardation.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #57
Tyren
FFR Player

Throughout most of adolesence theres a time where you need to prove yourself to your peers. In this time i think acceptance plays an incredible roll on the human psyche. I would argue that shorthand slang of the internet caught on so drastically with todays youth because "the cool" thing to do will not make you the object of ridicule...so conformity sets in with the unnerving lack of confidence in those who do it. Atleast i found some striking similarities to such growing up.
Tyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #58
meno_rocks123
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to meno_rocks123

I can understand not capitalizing; "lol" and "rofl" ;and the occasional double or triple punctuation at the end of a sentence too, but when you go insane and start typing "Z0/\/\GZ 1337 i r c0073r 7|-|4|\| y0|_|", thats over the edge.
meno_rocks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #59
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

spyke: When someone bothers to mutilate the english language so badly into things like meno just posted, in my mind the person's clearly put MORE effort into making, not less. Even small manglings, unless its just because the person can't spell.
As an aside, using z for s makes sense phoenetically (who's bright idea was to make the spelling of that word so friggin hard anyways?) when it is used.

dunlop: Laharl's sentence is obviously not run-on. Parsing down thoughts too much makes things too choppy.

Guido: I find your comments not only needlessly insulting but also seemingly ignoring the point of a couple people on here (including mine.) Why does someone look stupid if they're going to alter their language? This goes to Reach as well- why does PURPOSEFULLY not using correct and spelling make someone less intelligent? Adopting something different from an elitist norm is a cultural development which only rings 'stupid' to those who only think inside the box. If it annoys you because you truly can't parse it easily, or don't understand it at all, that's different. If you must stick to changing what's written down via your 'inner ear' only and things like lol aren't 'heard', that's another thing too. But just because someone else finds something in communication which you don't like, or isn't the standard, doesn't make it stupid.

I also don't know why we're debating about the lol thing. We all 'get' what someone means when they use it, so why are we nit-picking about it?
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:26 PM   #60
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Uh.

People do it because they're lazy.

Lazy people aren't necessarily unintelligent, but it proves that they aren't striving to be intelligent either. It can also correlate to a lack of knowledge on how to actually spell the words. It's usually a mix of the two.

I nit-pick "lol" because it's overused for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyZj0X1mUjY

First 3-ish minutes.

Last edited by Squeek; 11-13-2006 at 03:35 PM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote