Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
psychopete
Quite electrifying.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychopete
Default The Uninvited

I'm pretty sure that anybody who has watched TV recently has seen the commercials for The Uninvited, which is a remake of the (in my eyes) excellent K-horror flick A Tale of Two Sisters (Janghwa, Hongryeon). Now, as most of us know, American remakes of Asian horror films have been pretty atrocious for the most part. (i.e. The Ring, The Grudge, or for more recent remakes Mirrors and Shutter) In my personal opinion, however, these films were just not good in the first place, but now that they're remaking probably one of the best K-horror films out there, I can't help but be interested in how much Hollywood is going to ruin it.

For those too lazy to click the link, A Tale of Two Sisters is about, well, two sisters (obviously) who have spent some time in the hospital and are now going back home to their father and their new stepmother. I can't go into this too much without spoiling it, but let's just say that afterwards, you're in for a weird psychological horror experience rivaling that of movies like Jacob's Ladder.

Now, The Uninvited isn't out yet, but I am interested in it, if only to see how much America screws it up. It's just a shame that I'm going to have to spend nine bucks to watch it. Anyone else going to go see it?
psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr
Default Re: The Uninvited

Mirrors wasn't that bad, I liked it. Shutter sucked and I'm yet to see the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
psychopete
Quite electrifying.
FFR Veteran

Personally, I didn't like Mirrors all that much. It could be because I'm a snob about how remakes are pulled off, or it could be because I didn't even like Into the Mirror. (the original K-horror flick)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

I didn't see the original, so I guess I don't have a valid opinion there, but it wasn't all that bad. At least compared to some of the other stuff, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
jump_the_bullet
Oh you fancy, huh?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jump_the_bullet Send a message via MSN to jump_the_bullet Send a message via Skype™ to jump_the_bullet

Some Asian horror is good. most of it is a LOT better than horror over here nowadays. The original Pulse (Kairo) was realllllly good. It really made you uneasy and creeped out. but then they ruined it by remaking it here and totally dumbing it down. thats what the studios do, dumb it down since dumbass americans need everything spelled out for them.

Now they are going to remake Oldboy. While its not really horror its still a great movie. i cant wait to see how bad they will **** it up

jump_the_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
psychopete
Quite electrifying.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_the_bullet View Post
Some Asian horror is good. most of it is a LOT better than horror over here nowadays. The original Pulse (Kairo) was realllllly good. It really made you uneasy and creeped out. but then they ruined it by remaking it here and totally dumbing it down. thats what the studios do, dumb it down since dumbass americans need everything spelled out for them.
To be honest, I wasn't a fan of Pulse, either, but then again, I saw it after I saw the remake, and while I was unimpressed with both, I did like Kairo better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_the_bullet View Post
Now they are going to remake Oldboy. While its not really horror its still a great movie. i cant wait to see how bad they will **** it up
Wait, what was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_the_bullet
Now they are going to remake Oldboy.
Quote:
remake Oldboy.
Quote:
remake Oldboy.
WHAT.

Oldboy was awesome the first time around, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to stomach a remake of it of any kind, especially a Hollywood one.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
jump_the_bullet
Oh you fancy, huh?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jump_the_bullet Send a message via MSN to jump_the_bullet Send a message via Skype™ to jump_the_bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopete View Post
WHAT.
yeah i pretty much had the same reaction. but wait till you hear this

steven spielberg wants to make it. and will smith wants to star

yikes

jump_the_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopete View Post
WHAT.
Repeated for emphasis. I too had the same reaction... I haven't seen any Will Smith movies lately. Could he really pull off the insanity of Dae-Su Oh? Either way, I really hope they don't dumb it down to PG-13.

Anyway, about the Uninvited... I don't know if I'll be seeing it. I think I'd rather just hear what you have to say when you see it, Peter.
It seemed like A Tale of Two Sisters had very few similarities with the original folk tale. But that's fine, because it definitely succeeded as a movie. It's possible that The Uninvited will be almost nothing like A Tale of Two Sisters but still not be trash. However after watching the trailer... Well, I just hope they don't turn it into a lame revenge ghost story like The Messengers.