Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #21
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me goods packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
he asked for stamina jumpstream and pattern practice, not casual easy peasy lemon squeezy MA art fart color theory rainbow lownps 8th note string butter clutter stuff that isn't going to push physical and mental boundaries into faster more stamina oriented play
I'm actually legit offended by this post, not gonna lie. I'll give up trying to write up an argument about how frustrating that post is, and will just agree with GD by also adding that I managed to get into D5 by playing files I actually have fun playing. I didn't have to subject myself to playing files that are only hard to be hard.

I'll never get behind that mentality. You can step all the generic-ass jumpstream you want, icy. I won't play it, but you won't see me give you shit about it. I'd expect you to do the same to those who try to craft more meaningful simfiles. There's room for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 07-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
he asked for stamina jumpstream and pattern practice, not casual easy peasy lemon squeezy MA art fart color theory rainbow lownps 8th note string butter clutter stuff that isn't going to push physical and mental boundaries into faster more stamina oriented play
can you not
Old 07-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #23
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

i'll refrain from perpetuating anything further, thank you all have a good day.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Yall take this arrow tapping stuff 3seriously

Can't we all just jumpstream along ;_;

I mean at the end of the day, ur all casuals for not playing negative reverse -2.0x rate songs using a custom modded backwards scrolling anyways, so...
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #25
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

I like smashing my keyboard both in accurate rhythm but also to mass jumpstream files, idk both are fun. This little rivalry comes up once in awhile and it's just so counterproductive to creativity in our small scene. I'll reiterate what I've said before, both can coexist, and if you don't like one style there is nothing forcing you to play or step in it.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
Old 07-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #26
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Yall take this arrow tapping stuff 3seriously

Can't we all just jumpstream along ;_;

I mean at the end of the day, ur all casuals for not playing negative reverse -2.0x rate songs using a custom modded backwards scrolling anyways, so...
This isn't about play styles; this is about making simfiles and the time and work invested into creating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo_Cowfreak View Post
I like smashing my keyboard both in accurate rhythm but also to mass jumpstream files, idk both are fun. This little rivalry comes up once in awhile and it's just so counterproductive to creativity in our small scene. I'll reiterate what I've said before, both can coexist, and if you don't like one style there is nothing forcing you to play or step in it.
There has always been some kind of stigma against non-JS files, and I was told that it's simply because people can't be bothered to score well on them. It is easier to make measured improvements on straightforward JS files. And as such, those files are quite often what is advertised more by way of posting scores, making packs exclusive to JS, etc.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #27
SpaceGorilla
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

gorilla minipack 1
gorilla minipack 2
gorilla minipack 3

br2pac

play this ^
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #28
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
There has always been some kind of stigma against non-JS files, and I was told that it's simply because people can't be bothered to score well on them. It is easier to make measured improvements on straightforward JS files. And as such, those files are quite often what is advertised more by way of posting scores, making packs exclusive to JS, etc.
There's definitely some irony here, is it the constant 16th jumpstream that's truly difficult to master, or unusual and challenging rhythms in a file like Ame Kooshi no Tokei from UEMP that are hard to master? If people are ignoring shooting for scores on these files in favor of JS, then I wonder if you end up with a more limited skillset in the end.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
Old 07-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #29
bmah
shots FIRED

Yes you do, but people will play what they want at the expense of being less well-rounded. That's how it is.

It's about scoring consistently. If less straightforward files tend to trip players more often, they feel less inclined to play it (and much less likely to post scores for said files), though I would've hope it'd give them the motivation to improve upon them. Not to mention, JS files are popularized by well-regarded players on their streams.

I don't find the scenario particularly fair, but I'm also not surprised. I'd say it's a similar scenario to how well-crafted, difficult levels on Mario Maker never make it to the top of the most-played list.

A stepper may get more of a kick in how he/she craft a file, whereas a player's motivation is fed upon his/her own sense of accomplishment in scoring. It just seems that colorful files do not usually feed a player's sense of accomplishment.

@Helblinde- I highly recommend you play packs that present a wide variety of files, not just JS.

Last edited by bmah; 07-18-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #30
Leo137
FFR Player

The correct answer is "my packs / the packs i have files on it"
Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #31
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo137 View Post
The correct answer is "my packs / the packs i have files on it"
Finally, someone says the Lofty packs
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #32
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:

Also if you have not, grab Fullerene shift, dump parade, and hi19 packs. All of which are filled with amazing content, I highly recommend!
i honestly thought you were better than this but you're absolutely fucking garbage to me now
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #33
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
nah, fuck that yo. you would think that someone such as yourself who has years and years of stepmania experience would be not nearly as closeminded as this
I mean, shit, if you had said "yeah that's an older approach to charting and not entirely relevant anymore" then that would be fine I'd agree with you but don't think that just because you're fucking icyworld, you get to talk down on charts

like, c'mon dude, you even went through a phase where you made "casual easy peasy lemon squeezy MA art fart color theory rainbow lownps 8th note string butter clutter stuff"
Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #34
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

not worth your time
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #35
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I'm sorry to have made such terrible comments, I'm clearly in the wrong here. I do not feel easy files are bad, they are integral to progression in the game and should be played by everyone who has the chance to do so especially considering the incredible experience a good amount of them have. If you all feel I'm such a terrible person and would like to exile me, go ahead, I'm happy to have been a part of the community.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #36
bmah
shots FIRED

You're not a terrible person.
MooMoo_Cowfreak said it best: it's really about having all kinds of files coexisting, and not about putting down one type of file for another. I'm not just talking about easy files; I'm referring to any style that has generally received stigma in the past (artsy files, even 6k files in general, and so on).

It's great that the OP wanted some more JS to practice on, and I suppose that is the growing trend. Let those players have at em. There's just no need to do a further disservice to steppers who step other kinds of files. All people are wanting is general tolerance, that's all.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to DigitalS3r4ph Send a message via MSN to DigitalS3r4ph

Glove's Stepmania Gym Pack (Forget the exact name...)

Quote:
not casual easy peasy lemon squeezy MA art fart color theory rainbow lownps 8th note string butter clutter stuff that isn't going to push physical and mental boundaries into faster more stamina oriented play
It's a good thing your opinion doesn't reflect the majority because this is an abhorrent thing to say. Files that require a strong amount of stamina and speed can also be creative.

EDIT: Also like the others said, you could always play these files on higher rates to improve MA and speed further.

PM me if you find the secret.

Last edited by DigitalS3r4ph; 07-19-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #38
xVaLoRx
MYFUCKINGSOUND
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude View Post
what about playing this shit on rates?
my speed and ma improved faster when i played rates than when i played inherently fast files
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #39
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I can't comment much because to be honest I'd kill to even be able to play icys files, but like..

I've seen some videos of you stepping, its impressive but like.. I feel to some extent its just random jumpstreams, you know? Obviously theres a ton more work than people see, but like, I don't see the uniqueness in it, its weird.

If I play some jumpstream around my level like Saffron City, Etude on Nimbus, Exciting Hyper Highspeed star etc (which are obviously lower level), they feel so much more unique, its like the jumpstream actually matches the song perfectly, I dunno - perhaps its because once you get way faster, it's hard to match the music, not sure.

Just my 2 cents on it.. Like I said, I'd kill to be able to play icys stepfiles so...

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 07-21-2016 at 10:00 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #40
lofty rhino
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Random jumpstreams?

What are you talking about? This is Stepmania.
Closed Thread