Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 01-7-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

Default Announcement regarding the future of my rhythm game career

This announcement has been bouncing back in forth in my mind for quite some time but I've decided i'm fucking done.

In recent times regarding FFR the games frame based timing has become so RNG reliant that it has become impossible to improve. I was at one point told there is going to be a timing window switch to MS timing instead which would help significantly but I have a feeling that that comment was a mere joke.

Regardless of that I just feel there are several other issues holding me back in these types of games to the point where I can't keep going.

So as of right now if you don't hear from me or very rarely hear from me this is why.

You as a community have been fucking fantastic and I love all of you but it has just come to the point where things are holding me back from improving that shouldn't hold me back in the slightest.

I mentioned earlier the current timing engine in FFR becoming basically RNG so i'll elaborate on what I mean by this, I sometimes get runs where I hit the note and get an amazing and then the next time on the same note with no differentiation will get a good or in some rare cases an average.

People say that this issue is caused by lag but I haven't had any lag issues at all with the game so the explanation can be thrown out the window.

There are other instances of things in other games holding me back that shouldn't be such as guitar issues in clone hero and at one point a game crashing issue on etterna.

As of right now I'm just gonna say fuck all of it.

You guys have been amazing and I feel i'm ending on a good note rather than lashing out at people in a blind rage for some stupid shit.

I wish you all the best of luck.

edit: i have decided to come back but more to play on rates and not to improve levels wise.
Katanaeyegaming

Last edited by katanaeyegaming; 01-11-2021 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: to keep people informed
katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Akaunei
FFR Veteran
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Announcement regarding the future of my rhythm game career

cool but did you know you buzz aldrin was the first person that took a piss on the moon
Akaunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
katanaeyegaming
#FearTheWyvern
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaunei View Post
cool but did you know you buzz aldrin was the first person that took a piss on the moon

??? what does this have to do with anything

katanaeyegaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

go play etterna
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
Akaunei
FFR Veteran

okay but in all seriousness yes ive had my share of issues with ffr and see where ur coming from. i will always support u in whatever you decide to do!
Akaunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Lag and sync issues are the whole reason I quit ffr so I feel you
Old 01-7-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
badman7772
It happens for a reason.
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I definitely know how it feels to hate FFR's timing windows. I've been playing more Etterna than anything, with a few fun FFR runs on rates or other engines. Pushing for equiv or new best scores all the time isn't always the best way to go as I've learned over the years.

Seems like in your state, though you should definitely stay away from FFR the game for a while at the very least and do other things that make you happy and stress-free. Whether or not you decide to pick it up again or not is beyond anyone's knowledge, but it's there if you feel any itch to play again.

We're always here if you need any help with anything.
Old 01-7-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

sounds like some stepmania to me
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2021, 11:56 PM   #9
WildZapdos
FFR Player

"timing in this one rhythm game is rng dependent I MUST BE BAD AT ALL RHYTHM GAMES"
dude PLEASE try any rhythm game that does NOT depend on a functionally dead programming environment before forcing such an ultimatum on yourself
WildZapdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 12:06 AM   #10
CammyGoesRawr
nocturnal girl (〜✘﹏✘)〜
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildZapdos View Post
"timing in this one rhythm game is rng dependent I MUST BE BAD AT ALL RHYTHM GAMES"
dude PLEASE try any rhythm game that does NOT depend on a functionally dead programming environment before forcing such an ultimatum on yourself
he attributed the timing issues to ffr, not rhythm games as a whole. did you read the part where he says "Regardless of that I just feel there are several other issues holding me back in these types of games to the point where I can't keep going." ?

CammyGoesRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 12:46 AM   #11
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Imagine playing a game and instead of having any fun you get mad and write a 200 words essay about it
Old 01-8-2021, 03:16 AM   #12
Bolth mannn
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

have u tried to git gud
Old 01-8-2021, 04:17 AM   #13
Andrew WCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Seems like in your state, though you should definitely stay away from FFR the game for a while at the very least and do other things that make you happy and stress-free. Whether or not you decide to pick it up again or not is beyond anyone's knowledge, but it's there if you feel any itch to play again.
Absolutely this. I agree that Adobe AIR doesn't always give out good performance and is part of the reason why I sometimes think my accuracy is off a bit. It is also the culprit behind game lag for many players. Regardless, it is good to take a break every now and then, and focus on something else for a short while. From my personal experience, short periodic breaks help significantly on restoring my accuracy and performance, and occasionally even gives skillboosts.

Hope you find something you'd enjoy for the time being!
Andrew WCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 04:53 AM   #14
Shadow_God_10
Somewhere, but not here
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolth mannn View Post
have u tried to git gud
Sound advice there, chief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svaz View Post
more like Shad-hoe God am I right haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellon_collie View Post
TIL women have breasts because of horniness
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugkid666 View Post
sunfan I fucked up
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Xel claiming that I am incapable of making mistakes and using that logic to paint me as scum does things to my body that I thought only Lewdy's stash could do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
your hentai collection is commendable. i am both in awe and afraid of you
Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 08:39 AM   #15
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran

lol.
I doubt you'll get to lvl 73 with this kind of attitude.

Last edited by SputnikOwns; 01-8-2021 at 08:48 AM..
SputnikOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 06:36 PM   #16
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

have you tried maybe stepping some manias
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
Zodiark1323
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikOwns View Post
lol.
I doubt you'll get to lvl 73 with this kind of attitude.
I know you're trying to build him up, but come on, dude.
Old 01-9-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
Seoulslayer
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I'm confused, I thought that FFR did use milisecond based timing windows? Doesn't it know the exact milisecond you pressed the note? I thought that I read that the whole point of the new engines was that they were able to do this.
Seoulslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2021, 07:13 PM   #19
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoulslayer View Post
I'm confused, I thought that FFR did use milisecond based timing windows? Doesn't it know the exact milisecond you pressed the note? I thought that I read that the whole point of the new engines was that they were able to do this.
FFR does use millisecond based timing windows. The placement of arrows on the chart however is frame based, and that's mostly so that older iterations of the engine are compatible with charts, since only the R^3 engine follows millisecond based timing.

So basically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanaeyegaming View Post
I mentioned earlier the current timing engine in FFR becoming basically RNG so i'll elaborate on what I mean by this, I sometimes get runs where I hit the note and get an amazing and then the next time on the same note with no differentiation will get a good or in some rare cases an average.

People say that this issue is caused by lag but I haven't had any lag issues at all with the game so the explanation can be thrown out the window.
tl;dr, you're bad.

long explanation: the space between an amazing and an average in FFR is 64 milliseconds, and that's between the earliest amazing and latest average. To get an average, you have to be between 83ms and 115ms early. In DDR terms, that's between a Great & a Good. Same for Stepmania, more-so a Good than a Great. Also a combo breaker in most VSRG's.

If you claim to be not bad and overtly terrible at accuracy, then:

a) you have sync issues and should send some troubleshooting images showing your note graphs in song results along with the game version you're using and which download. Might be able to troubleshoot to something more playable. The graph in results should look like this:

b) Needs fiddling with judge offset/global offset because you're hitting consistently later/earlier than you should be.

c) You have inconsistent lag between your keyboard & monitor display and need to fix whatever is delaying that response on your end, it will carry over to other rhythm games.

It's virtually impossible to get 100% Amazings on files in FFR except for some of the easiest files, and sets an unrealistic expectation if you're looking to get consistent Amazings. Consistent perfects however, is common since the accuracy window for Perfects is three times the size of Amazings, and can accompany most forms of minor latency lag or drift. But hitting an accuracy spread that reaches as far as averages? That sounds like either a lag issue, inconsistent delay, or simply playing way outside your comfort level.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 01-9-2021 at 07:26 PM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2021, 08:17 PM   #20
Andrew WCY

Actually, now that I think about it, is it possible that you're having issues with input polling?

For certain in-game framerates, after playing a song, you might notice that the crosses in the accuracy graph form straight lines. This isn't an issue with lag, but it's intrinsic to how Adobe AIR handles keyboard inputs amongst other events. Input polling could make it more difficult to get better judgments: For example, on 60 FPS, even though you technically got an Amazing, the game would say you got a Perfect, or even worse, an Average or Good.

If you're noticing signs of input polling (straight lines in accuracy graphs), try fiddling around with the framerate you're using in the Settings menu. I've seen people use 50, 52, 55, 59, 120, 240, and 250 FPS without issues, but you'd need to try each of them to see which one works for you.
Andrew WCY is offline   Reply With Quote