Old 02-1-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Default On Game Developer Professions.

So I just got accepted/ a merit scholarship to this great video game design school called Digipen up in Redmond, Washington. I hadn't really considered their programs heavily but this scholarship does make a difference, I had always wanted to become a game designer( knowing the repercussions: not actually playing games, niche job industry, etc.). So I wanted to know your guys opinions, what do you think about the profession and going into a school that specializes in this field? I'm currently listed as their BS in Computer Science and Game Design major.

6th FFR Official Tournament Division 3 6th Place

Silly/Sax's Summer Sensation Division 4 2nd Place

Dragon Fury's Custom Tourney 8 Division 5B 4th Place

Just Your Amatuer Simfilier
21992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Default Re: On Game Developer Professions.

Of all the schools you could pick you sure picked a great one. Digipen is the only one I really hear anything super amazing coming out of, so grats on that As for the profession, I don't know a whole about it other than it's extremely difficult to get a job as a designer. Everyone and their mother thinks they can be a game designer so there's a lot of competition.

The only important advice I have for you is learn how to program in C++ or whatever other language you think the games you want to make are going to be in. If you know the technical details behind what you're trying to design it will take you leaps and bounds beyond the competition, and it will stop you from trying to design some insanely difficult feature since you'll be able to think about the complications of implementing it (at least to an extent). The thing programmers hate the most is a designer that has no clue what they are talking about and thinks everything is "easy". You have no idea how frustrating it is trying to explain how difficult a task is to someone that doesn't believe you when you say something that seems super simple is actually very difficult and time consuming.
Old 02-2-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

honestly, i think it's superb that you've gotten into the school, but I guess the biggest thing to remember is that a lot of the time, experience > education. During your studies, be sure to apply for countless internships, even if they're not even for game design or anything close.

As an annecdote, I've been interning at a networking company as a cyber security analyst. I'm currently studying Astronomy in college. I've already had a couple extra job offers outside of this, related to security stuff, even without being in Computer Science really.

In any case, you do you, definitely strive to work in something that you'll really love doing. Having that school name backing your diploma will definitely aid in getting a job in the game design field, (as well as general work experience), as well as that double major for CS and game design. CS feels like a nice general major that can fit alot of different work opportunities. also, if you don't get the design job at first, definitely don't hesitate to take up other opportunities to build up your resume and connections and all that

also you may find that you don't actually like the profession once you get into it, so it's def. always best to keep your doors open as much as possible

life advice and stuff wheee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
pokelda
⁽ ´ཀ`⁾
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to pokelda Send a message via MSN to pokelda Send a message via Yahoo to pokelda

Digipen will kill you if you slack off for even a second. It's really easy to get burned out and I've known people and personally heard many stories jumping in to digipen expecting to have a good time developing video games but ended up dropping out because of the workload. Do it only if you have a passion for creating videogames because forming a career in such a saturated field will be really difficult and perhaps soul crushing even if you put in all the hardest work and effort. If you've got a scholarship to digipen, I'd say do take the opportunity because just going through those motions will definitely let you know if you are cut out for getting into the industry.
Old 02-2-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Like pokelda said, I had a buddy who did the Digipen program and it is NOT a fucking joke. Expect a hardcore tech trade school environment.
He took it appropriately seriously though and is now employed at Blizzard, so clearly the degree and the experience is worth something when you're applying for jobs.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 02-2-2015 at 07:01 PM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Damn poke and hi, sounds hard core. So it's up to you 21, huge workload/responsibility= huge reward.

Can you do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-2-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
pokelda
⁽ ´ཀ`⁾
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to pokelda Send a message via MSN to pokelda Send a message via Yahoo to pokelda

It's only a huge reward if you feel like developing video games is your one and only dream ever. There are other jobs that pay better, give better hours, and more job security and for a lot of people that's probably going to be more appealing in the long run than they would think.
Old 02-2-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Thanks guys I'd read about the intense workload, and frankly I know what I'm getting myself into. Playing games is the last thing on my mind, if I were to go there. I was thoughtful of having a back-up major / one that could synergize well with game design. I'm already taking a few math geared AP's including Comp Sci, and I'm hoping that will prepare me for the school well. And just maybe I can help this community that has given me much throughout the years.

6th FFR Official Tournament Division 3 6th Place

Silly/Sax's Summer Sensation Division 4 2nd Place

Dragon Fury's Custom Tourney 8 Division 5B 4th Place

Just Your Amatuer Simfilier
21992 is offline   Reply With Quote